Reviews of B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about B*Men by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

teadot's avatar
    teadot

Wow, talk about Gourmand...

Only 15 minutes into B*men. And I felt like I've eaten an entire bag of Licorice Allsorts !!! Especially those with mostly black in it. You either love those, or you hate'em. Fair warning. I love'em. But even then...

Thankfully, B*men does eventually cease shoving Allsorts through my nose, and mellow out into something vaguely like a gourmand version of YSL Body Kouros: Resinous woods, with heavy spice, and rich anise(y) sweetness (I'm not saying they smell the same tho). Where Body Kouros' sweetness is restrained by the eucalyptus which cools it; B*men's not into kinky restraints, at ALL. Nope. In fact, he'd rather put on some dapper duds and treat you to a 5* gourmet dinner at an elegant restaurant ; )

O, and don't forget to bring along the Allsorts.

06 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 29 March, 2014)

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Around 4 years ago I've tried it, on paper only. After quite a lot of them tested, at that time even more than few in a day, B*Men didn't stand out. Today I own it, de facto a blind buy.

Quite cold and sort of technological. Very urbane and for winter. There is certain holiday fling to it, I have to admit. Very Masculine, young like, a bit cold and corporate, progressive. Liqueur indeed and a bit gourmand, higher notes than A*Men and a hint of something green. In its own peculiar way, albeit cold way, it is invasive as A*Men which is hot and burned. B*Men contains DNA of A*Men, but then again they're not the same at all. B*Men is elating but cold, it also glows, radiates not so strongly as A*Men does, but more than enough to meet the price. Rhubarb is strong and very unique in B*Men, anis is quite complementary, patchouli and musk are present but not loud. Vanilla is lost in the midst of mentioned and the unspecified spices. B*Men is quite refined, but if you spray too much, you might get the synthetic, ugly part of him. One spray will do the job - it'll last, it'll project. Strong character is present just like with A*Men and I also dare say that B*Men is quite unique, original scent. It was discontinued rather suddenly and went to the perfume past without a glam. Too bad as I believe that, had it been released not in 2004. but in 2008. when it was, ironically - supposedly discontinued, it would've been en par with Pure Havane, Pure Malt and other flankers. This way B*Men is forgotten and lost amidst many flankers that were released in the meanwhile, which is in my subjective opinion a big injustice for B*Men.
    B*Men deserves more attention, more mentioning, more recognition.

12 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2013)

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

Fruit & Licorice Angel

The opening blast is fruity in character, some rhubarb but more a mixed fruit basket. Spices of a milder variety are mixed in together with a soft and sweetish patchouli; and in the drydown a licorice note appears that remains present until the end. A bit of amber and wood in the base mixes well with the licorice. This is not just an A*Men flanker. The chocolate and caramel mores are missing, and even if one regards it as technically just fulfilling the criteria for a gourmand fragrance, it is a comparably light and mild one. Initial silage and projection are good, but later it is close on my skin. I get a total longevity of just over five hours. This is a *Men that is neither intrusive nor cloying, and wearable for work in the intermediate seasons.

23 August, 2013

Mandrake's avatar
    Mandrake
    Venezuela Venezuela

Brother more content, less partying and more elegant.

09 January, 2013

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

Sure, it's another fruity amber aimed towards men, but this one is of a different breed. The fruity top note is based around rhubarb which throws you for a loop. It's red and green and very delicious even though I don't like the taste of rhubarb at all. Quite literally, a breathe of fresh air after so many bad apple(s), citrus and melon top notes that plague mens' frags.

Bmen settles downs to a spicy cocktail of vetiver and "sequoia", which I'm unfamiliar with. It's restrained, tasteful, and a bit woody and certainly keeps you interested until the Amen base of amber and patchouli show up to round this off. The Amen base is strong and doesn't smell cheap like so many men's frags out there. There's real quality in this.

One could say Bmen is like Amen without the chocolate addiction. I would also add that drydown reminds me a lot of Terre D'Hermes. Looking at the notes, they're similar too. Kind of think that Elena was influenced by Bmen, either subconsciously or literally, because Bmen came out before TdH.

7/10 rating.

24 December, 2012

Danne's avatar
    Danne

B*Men starts with a tar like smell which evolves into licorice.
    But if you pay a bit more attetion to the details envloped in that strong smell then you suddenly stop focusing on how strong it smells and start noticing the wood hidden in it, the vetiver, patchouli and the spices comes to life...

It is deep, dark and exciting.
    I don't try breaking this scent into top, heart or base notes, nor do i try distinguishing between the stages of it's evolution. I just love the fact that it smells differantly every time i hold up my wrist to my nose.

18 December, 2012

's avatar

Lots of licorice and spices with below average lasting power, sillage and projection. Suitable for autumn and fall. Sweet but not overpowering. I will not miss this one, thought.

25 October, 2012

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

B Men is a similar scent to A Men. It's not as strong as A Men, but it has the same DNA. It's a safe buy. I recommend Pure Havane or Pure Malt before buying this one. This one just doesn't stand out of the Thierry Mugler collection. But, if you are a collector, or you can get this one at a low price then go for it!

26 August, 2012

andym72's avatar
    andym72

I personally think the only connection between A*Men and B*Men is a sweetened Patchouli accord. But even then, there is a clear difference between the sweet notes used. In A*Men, it is a Caramel Candy note, which is where most of A*Mens tooth rotting, diabetic shock sweetness comes from. This along with the Mint, Coffee and Chocolate firmly peg A*Men as a gourmand. None of these exist in B*Men. If Caramel Candy is 'cooked sugar', then the sweetener in B*Men is most definitely 'burnt sugar', overcooked and blackened. This is why B*Men is nowhere near as sweet as his brother. This burnt sugar and Patchouli accord is there from top to bottom and becomes more dominant as time goes on, which might be why people consider it linear. These two also produce a tar note, not the same as the tar in A*Men, a bit more rubbery.

I cant make out the Rhubarb in this one, there is a sour fruit note there in the opening, but doesn't register as Rhubarb. It is paired up with Licorice Root. I have spotted the 'Peanut' accord that people mention once or twice, but I dont always get it.

In the heart, in comes the redwood and the spicerack. The combo of wood and burnt smells doesn't come across as smokey though. My experience is that if you are not judicious with the spritzer, the redwood note becomes very musky, a not very pleasant 'scratchy' musk. This does mean I'm never quite sure what experience I'm going to get that day. Be warned, B*Men is highly potent - my 100ml bottle will probably last a decade, and in its own way it isn't any more polite than A*Men. Two sprays is enough.

Then in the base, the burnt sugar and Patchouli prevails. I've not picked up the Vetiver at this stage, I am assuming I'm combining the earthiness of the Patch and the Vetiver into one smell.

I wouldn't call it an Oriental, there aren't really any resinous or vanilla notes. Its a semi-sweet Woody Spicy to me.

20th August, 2012

Data1001's avatar
    Data1001

Like many others here, I bought this after trying A*Men and loving it. Upon first sniff, though, I found myself a bit disappointed, and the bottle sat unused for some time.

Much later, I decided to revisit it, and found it to have amazing longevity and an unexpected but not unpleasing aromatic modulation over the course of a day (as did A*Men). However, I still wasn't sure I'd use it that much -- so many sweet scents mixing together, it seemed to have limited applications. In fact, I didn't even realize I was smelling vetiver in there until I read someone else here comment about that note.

But it is very intriguing, and although I'd recommend it, B*Men is one of those scents that I need to wear a few more times to get a good feel for.

31st May, 2012

bastonka's avatar
    bastonka
    Sweden Sweden

The opening is nice, but the drydown is wonderful. Very masculine without being traditional.
    Too bad this is discontinued. Still very easy to find on the net, and pretty cheap too.

05 May, 2012

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

Instead of the chocolate accord in A*Men, B*Men is more focused on the licorice and the spices.

While I love both fragrances, I do believe that B*Men is much more wearable, and a better seller overall. It's a nice combination of sweet and spicy, with a very subtle gourmand feel throughout.

Sexy, a little daring and very Thierry Mugler in its style, B*Men delivers. The incredibly earthy and woodsy drydown may be too much for some, especially those that hate patchouli in large doses, however I enjoyed the drydown the most.

A little does go a long way in regards to wearing B*Men. Like all Thierry Mugler fragrances, the sillage and lasting power never disappoints, in fact it is often so powerful that it leaves you breathless.

The leather note in this fragrance isn't as strong as I expected to be. I guess you could say that it has been overshadowed by the sugar and spices. Although I like this fragrance the way it is, a bit more on the leather side of things would have given this fragrance more of a bite.

It's difficult to sum up this rather complex fragrance in a few words, however if I really had to, B*Men would be defined as a masculine vanilla scent with rich, syrupy woods and licorice accords.

22 March, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

The best part of this hyper sweet concoction is made by the top notes that combine the two elements that go disappearing with time in order to let the scene to the spices, the minty milk and the resins, i mean the fruity crispiness and a touch (far less intense than in A*Men) of caramellous and chocolatey gourmand vibe. The last element binds B*Men with its old brother A*Men but the connection lasts for a while. The fragrance indeed is more similar to One Million, 212 Sexy Man and Roccobarocco Extraordinary (but with a more minty and  aromatic temperament) than in the vein of A*Men. The fruity and boozy note of rhubarb in its link with the gourmand elements characterizes the beginning of the smell. In the dust of sweet spices and tamed fruits i detect a medicinal trait that makes me thinking to the M7 YSL aoud, just an hint more synthetic. There is possibly the subdued (in comparison with A*Men) presence of the super synthetical chord of lavender, helonial and peppermint that characterizes the A*Men top part or may be (but i have many dubts about) a similar aromatic effect  is exclusively here made by the chord of watery rhubarb and conifers' resins. The fragrance indeed with time evolves towards a sort of aromatic, almost mentholated, supersonic vanillic-ambery base with a sort or gassy and balsamic temperament. This chemical base owns the woodsy vibe of mint, musk, cedarwood and vetiver. Nothing special in the range of the modern fragrances or better today common because of the following or contextual launches of similar concoctions. The dry down is tremendously sweet, milky, minty and obviously synthetic but in an exaggerate way although the time  tends to notably improve and sedate the impressive sweetness that is endly characterized by a masculine, almost corporeal, pungent vibe. Longevity and sillage are powerful but are a bit less powerful than in A*Men.

22 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 November, 2012)

Minkymaid's avatar
    Minkymaid
    England England

This is me writing about B Men on my partner. Yes, he's got Guerlain in his wardrobe and Parfumerie Generale, he's swanned through Serge Lutens and appreciates Terre d Hermes. But, when it comes down to it, what do I always respond to in an 'OMG you smell gorgeous I have to get close to you' way? B Men. Its been slated by compared to A Men(meh) and discontinued but to me this is the ultimate 'come hither' scent. And in the end, isn't that what it's all about! Super thumbs up to B Men - I love ya!

28 September, 2011

Izzy's avatar
    Izzy

Smells like peanut butter!

20th July, 2011

crystal_disco's avatar
    crystal_disco

I bought this blind from the internet based on the fact that I wear A*Men and also because of the reviews I read on here! one particular review (its was actually a negative review) compelled me to buy it because the review alone was hilarious! The review was about how it smells like a Stepford wive's burnt rhubarb crumble that is due to be shown at a country fete to win the heart of the general... I laughed for a long time!
    Back to the fragrance itself. I can understand the references to the burnt rhubarb crumble-It's the first note you get, but It doesn't detract from the Vetiver accents - I'm a sucker for Vetiver. It is not in any way as nice as A*Men, because it is completely different, and I get more compliments with A*men than this, but it's a lot cheaper than A*men, so I wear it almost every day, and it is just similar enough to fulfill my cravings for the A scent, so i save my more expensive colognes for special occasions.

30th May, 2011

silentrich's avatar
    silentrich

I get a sweet tart candy vibe from this. I can't smell the licorice not at all and if there is one it's nothing like the licorice note in LLAM. I think I'm smelling whatever the fruity notes are combined with the Rhubarb. Sweet? Not to my nose.

11th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th June, 2011)

Bachatu Man's avatar
    Bachatu Man

Oh my. I first purchased it blind and hated myself for it. The scent hit me in the face and I didn't expect to nor did I know how to react, nor by nose. However, it grew on me, so much so that I prefer this over any of the other Thierry Mugler fragrances. This is a man's scent with somewhat of a learning curve... You have to have a trained nose to appreciate it.

This fragrance smells like a Spicy cream bakery ... I get a Pumpkin cheesecake type vibe from this. not sweet though. I also get a very brown sugar type vibe. Sort of like Molasses. Its very interesting, not too overpowering if applied correctly. The top is what has a slight, all so slight fruity cream accord and as it dries down the spice kicks in. At the very base, I get that deep brown sugar, almost burnt, leathery Vibe. Very nice. To me, Varvatos Vintage replicated or attempted to replicate this fragrance... there are some similarities.

09 February, 2011

Gilgamesh2003's avatar
    Gilgamesh2003

I can see where all the hate comes from - this opens with a singularly repulsive set of topnotes that evoke a sewage leak in a bakery. Lemon-urine vies with burnt cake.

The opening faded within a minute or so for me and B*Men dried down to something quite likeable, a combination of sweetness, spice and woods. Fruity notes and peppery spices revolve around a very smooth, creamy cedar (or, I suppose, sequoia). There's a tantalizing hint of A*men's vanilla and tar, but only a hint. Although the notes seem discordant the whole effect is quite round and smooth and pleasant - this is not a jagged, pencil-shaving cedar, nor are the fruity notes Hawaian Punch sweet.

I find this quite wearable and even serious in a way that A*Men is not - I wouldn't hesitate to wear this into my office. Get this while it's still around!

29 January, 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

Three big THANKS are in order.
    First, thanks it is discontinued, this monster must have been created during an alcoholic binge by its creators otherwise I can not explain how they could come with such a mix of clashing notes that would leave you anosmic if you smell it for too long. Or maybe Nagel came with a good fragrance and Huclier came with another good fragrance and Mugler decided to combine them and now the Nagel fragrance and the Huclier fragrance are battling it out inside the bottle and what we smell are just the casualties of the battle.
    Second, thanks for the weird rubber envelope in which this perfume comes "in". It makes it sooooooooooo hard to squeeze the spritzer so you can spray yourself just a little bit before you are exhausted.
    And third, thanks that I bought a small 1.7 oz bottle so it is finished by now.
    BIG THUMBS DOWN

13 January, 2011

SirScent's avatar
    SirScent

A Real Fruity Patooti that would work as a very,very, very casual fragrance but difficult to take seriously.
    The bottle is fun but the scent is a bit much.
    Synthetic rhubarb and cherry cough drops yet it still has a masculine vibe.
    This may be one of those scents that could evoke bad reactions from others.
    But I still have to squeeze in a thumbs up for the uniqueness of it all.
    Discontinued....hmmmm...I wonder why?

06 January, 2011

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

What an odd scent!
    Sweet, sharp, dense.
    Has a toasty note, like slightly burned toast.
    And something like old celery leaves.
    The amber is kinda wierd here, even diabolical.
    I know what rhubarb smells like -- none.
    I know what sequoia should smell like -- none.
    I know what vetiver's range should be -- can't find it.
    This is disquieting, kind of freaks me out. Away with it...

06 January, 2011

MJW77's avatar
    MJW77

Do people really spray this on leave the house and think they smell good?

I wore B*Men once having purchased it blind (NOT recommended!) and was conscious of how unusual and unpleasant I smelt. It bascially smells like a bag of Liquorice Allsorts. It was cheap, presumably because no one was buying it, but still a waste of money. It's certainly my least favourite fragrance of those that I own.

There are so many great fragrances out there it really isn't worth bothering with this weird concoction. Awefully strange stuff.

07 October, 2010

Shaheen's avatar
    Shaheen

Smells good when sprayed on a test strip, but not when sprayed on my skin.

On a test strip, the texture is creamy, and the fragrance smells like a mixture of baked bread, burnt caramel, wet cement (?), and spice. Not bad.

On my skin, however, this smells overly spicy, and I can even detect a BO note in there (I'm spraying this on freshly showered skin mind you). It doesn't come off as totally disgusting, but it deters me from wearing it.

16 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2011)

mochi227's avatar
    mochi227

Bizarre. Magnetic, but not sure if in a good way. Makes you lean in and smell, not because it's so alluring but because you wonder "what on God's green earth IS that?!" Extremely masculine. In this respect, I prefer it over all those wimpy aquatics and ozone scents, but I can't say B*Men actually smells good. I get spice and BO. I think the fruit and rhubarb plays like sour, slightly decomposed fruit. It's sharp, it's acrid, it makes you wrinkle your nose. This stuff is powerful. Outlasts scrubs, time, and possibly nuclear holocaust. A cool weather fragrance, I respect the noses for their outlandish composition and their defiance in the face of the aquatic army, but I am not sure I would want to snuggle up to B*Men. I am truly ambivalent. My nose does not like this, but my mind appreciates B*Men's in-your-face manliness and refusal to follow the aquatic/ozonic aesthetic.

02 April, 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

B*Men is one of those love it or hate it fragrances. Rhubarb in the opening with huge bursts of coconut. Top notes can project a bit so you may wanna go light with how many sprays you put on. Middle notes are spicy and woodsy, but I also get some coffee, a little pepper, very light strawberry, and yes..rubber.

Dry down is very appealing and maintains a lot of the coconut, and with all from the series, you get their infamous patchouli dry down.

Good to wear in the winter, or even the fall..Very unique because it's spicy and very sweet, and gets tons of compliments. Longevity is about 6-8 hours. I've seen this for as low as 15 bucks (1.7 oz) at TJ Maxx.

28 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2011)

trapper's avatar
    trapper
    Romania Romania

B*Men is a different cologne from A*Men they don't have anything in common. Great fragrance though, very masculine.

27 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2010)

HAelm's avatar
    HAelm

B*men can be a great fragrance if you know how and when to use it (and not overdoing it). This scent remind me of a hot, summer day in Arizona or California in one of those wild west saloons with the whole cactus/coyote scene with the sharp smell of aged dry wood in the air. Beautifully built; don't bother sniffing your wrists when you try this on like you would a subtle scent.. it is best experienced while actually wearing it for a full day.

20th January, 2010

chorando's avatar
    chorando

At it's heart B*Men is a burnt homemade bread and butter pudding with a rhubarb coulis. It's as though you've just taken out your prize winning pud from the oven to present it yet again at the annual summer fete - think Womens Institute - only to find you've left it in the oven a tad too long. In that hideous unbelieving Stepford wife moment you get the rising whiff of burnt sultanas and wipe your hands repeately on your gingham apron while you myopically fixate on the sure knowledge that Mrs Mcgillicuttys' Eve's pudding will swipe the big prize AND the heart of the Sergeant Major...again. OOh the shame of it!

19 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 January, 2012)

MrFragranceReview's avatar
    MrFragranceReview

this is by far one of the worst fragrances I had the displeasure of smelling. I sprayed it on my arm since a friend owned it and immediately regretted it. I kept getting whiffs of it on occasion and finally had to scrub it off it was so off putting.

19 January, 2010