Positive Reviews of B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Another Star in THIERRY MUGLER Sky. It has a Special Warmth like A*Men Furthermore it is More Romantic and Modern than it However i Still Prefer A*Men. This one is Full of Style with a Sensuous Scent. Masculine,Powerful, Warm,Sophisticated,Seductive and Sweet but not sticky sweet.

Leather,Vanilla and Spice mingle with Violet&Musk Leaves and Makes a Composition that is Unmistakable virile. The leather note in B*MEN is not Overpowering or Harsh but is more of a supple Leather that works alongside the Vanilla to create a very impressive fragrance.

This Alluring Oriental is Appropriate for a Romantic Evening like a Romantic Dinner with Your Wife.quite Suitable for a Passionate Character in Winter. If you are Looking makes a Beautiful Impression in HOT moments B*MEN is Your Pal!

Longevity?Not Superb Like A*Men but it is Good on my skin.

18th April, 2015
Wow, talk about Gourmand...

Only 15 minutes into B*men. And I felt like I've eaten an entire bag of Licorice Allsorts !!! Especially those with mostly black in it. You either love those, or you hate'em. Fair warning. I love'em. But even then...

Thankfully, B*men does eventually cease shoving Allsorts through my nose, and mellow out into something vaguely like a gourmand version of YSL Body Kouros: Resinous woods, with heavy spice, and rich anise(y) sweetness (I'm not saying they smell the same tho). Where Body Kouros' sweetness is restrained by the eucalyptus which cools it; B*men's not into kinky restraints, at ALL. Nope. In fact, he'd rather put on some dapper duds and treat you to a 5* gourmet dinner at an elegant restaurant ; )

O, and don't forget to bring along the Allsorts.
06th January, 2014 (last edited: 29th March, 2014)
Around 4 years ago I've tried it, on paper only. After quite a lot of them tested, at that time even more than few in a day, B*Men didn't stand out. Today I own it, de facto a blind buy.

Quite cold and sort of technological. Very urbane and for winter. There is certain holiday fling to it, I have to admit. Very Masculine, young like, a bit cold and corporate, progressive. Liqueur indeed and a bit gourmand, higher notes than A*Men and a hint of something green. In its own peculiar way, albeit cold way, it is invasive as A*Men which is hot and burned. B*Men contains DNA of A*Men, but then again they're not the same at all. B*Men is elating but cold, it also glows, radiates not so strongly as A*Men does, but more than enough to meet the price. Rhubarb is strong and very unique in B*Men, anis is quite complementary, patchouli and musk are present but not loud. Vanilla is lost in the midst of mentioned and the unspecified spices. B*Men is quite refined, but if you spray too much, you might get the synthetic, ugly part of him. One spray will do the job - it'll last, it'll project. Strong character is present just like with A*Men and I also dare say that B*Men is quite unique, original scent. It was discontinued rather suddenly and went to the perfume past without a glam. Too bad as I believe that, had it been released not in 2004. but in 2008. when it was, ironically - supposedly discontinued, it would've been en par with Pure Havane, Pure Malt and other flankers. This way B*Men is forgotten and lost amidst many flankers that were released in the meanwhile, which is in my subjective opinion a big injustice for B*Men.
B*Men deserves more attention, more mentioning, more recognition.

12th December, 2013 (last edited: 14th December, 2013)

rbaker Show all reviews
Fruit & Licorice Angel

The opening blast is fruity in character, some rhubarb but more a mixed fruit basket. Spices of a milder variety are mixed in together with a soft and sweetish patchouli; and in the drydown a licorice note appears that remains present until the end. A bit of amber and wood in the base mixes well with the licorice. This is not just an A*Men flanker. The chocolate and caramel mores are missing, and even if one regards it as technically just fulfilling the criteria for a gourmand fragrance, it is a comparably light and mild one. Initial silage and projection are good, but later it is close on my skin. I get a total longevity of just over five hours. This is a *Men that is neither intrusive nor cloying, and wearable for work in the intermediate seasons.

23rd August, 2013
Brother more content, less partying and more elegant.
09th January, 2013
Sure, it's another fruity amber aimed towards men, but this one is of a different breed. The fruity top note is based around rhubarb which throws you for a loop. It's red and green and very delicious even though I don't like the taste of rhubarb at all. Quite literally, a breathe of fresh air after so many bad apple(s), citrus and melon top notes that plague mens' frags.

Bmen settles downs to a spicy cocktail of vetiver and "sequoia", which I'm unfamiliar with. It's restrained, tasteful, and a bit woody and certainly keeps you interested until the Amen base of amber and patchouli show up to round this off. The Amen base is strong and doesn't smell cheap like so many men's frags out there. There's real quality in this.

One could say Bmen is like Amen without the chocolate addiction. I would also add that drydown reminds me a lot of Terre D'Hermes. Looking at the notes, they're similar too. Kind of think that Elena was influenced by Bmen, either subconsciously or literally, because Bmen came out before TdH.

7/10 rating.
24th December, 2012
B*Men starts with a tar like smell which evolves into licorice.
But if you pay a bit more attetion to the details envloped in that strong smell then you suddenly stop focusing on how strong it smells and start noticing the wood hidden in it, the vetiver, patchouli and the spices comes to life...

It is deep, dark and exciting.
I don't try breaking this scent into top, heart or base notes, nor do i try distinguishing between the stages of it's evolution. I just love the fact that it smells differantly every time i hold up my wrist to my nose.
18th December, 2012
andym72 Show all reviews
I personally think the only connection between A*Men and B*Men is a sweetened Patchouli accord. But even then, there is a clear difference between the sweet notes used. In A*Men, it is a Caramel Candy note, which is where most of A*Mens tooth rotting, diabetic shock sweetness comes from. This along with the Mint, Coffee and Chocolate firmly peg A*Men as a gourmand. None of these exist in B*Men. If Caramel Candy is 'cooked sugar', then the sweetener in B*Men is most definitely 'burnt sugar', overcooked and blackened. This is why B*Men is nowhere near as sweet as his brother. This burnt sugar and Patchouli accord is there from top to bottom and becomes more dominant as time goes on, which might be why people consider it linear. These two also produce a tar note, not the same as the tar in A*Men, a bit more rubbery.

I cant make out the Rhubarb in this one, there is a sour fruit note there in the opening, but doesn't register as Rhubarb. It is paired up with Licorice Root. I have spotted the 'Peanut' accord that people mention once or twice, but I dont always get it.

In the heart, in comes the redwood and the spicerack. The combo of wood and burnt smells doesn't come across as smokey though. My experience is that if you are not judicious with the spritzer, the redwood note becomes very musky, a not very pleasant 'scratchy' musk. This does mean I'm never quite sure what experience I'm going to get that day. Be warned, B*Men is highly potent - my 100ml bottle will probably last a decade, and in its own way it isn't any more polite than A*Men. Two sprays is enough.

Then in the base, the burnt sugar and Patchouli prevails. I've not picked up the Vetiver at this stage, I am assuming I'm combining the earthiness of the Patch and the Vetiver into one smell.

I wouldn't call it an Oriental, there aren't really any resinous or vanilla notes. Its a semi-sweet Woody Spicy to me.
20th August, 2012
Like many others here, I bought this after trying A*Men and loving it. Upon first sniff, though, I found myself a bit disappointed, and the bottle sat unused for some time.

Much later, I decided to revisit it, and found it to have amazing longevity and an unexpected but not unpleasing aromatic modulation over the course of a day (as did A*Men). However, I still wasn't sure I'd use it that much -- so many sweet scents mixing together, it seemed to have limited applications. In fact, I didn't even realize I was smelling vetiver in there until I read someone else here comment about that note.

But it is very intriguing, and although I'd recommend it, B*Men is one of those scents that I need to wear a few more times to get a good feel for.
31st May, 2012
The opening is nice, but the drydown is wonderful. Very masculine without being traditional.
Too bad this is discontinued. Still very easy to find on the net, and pretty cheap too.
05th May, 2012
Instead of the chocolate accord in A*Men, B*Men is more focused on the licorice and the spices.

While I love both fragrances, I do believe that B*Men is much more wearable, and a better seller overall. It's a nice combination of sweet and spicy, with a very subtle gourmand feel throughout.

Sexy, a little daring and very Thierry Mugler in its style, B*Men delivers. The incredibly earthy and woodsy drydown may be too much for some, especially those that hate patchouli in large doses, however I enjoyed the drydown the most.

A little does go a long way in regards to wearing B*Men. Like all Thierry Mugler fragrances, the sillage and lasting power never disappoints, in fact it is often so powerful that it leaves you breathless.

The leather note in this fragrance isn't as strong as I expected to be. I guess you could say that it has been overshadowed by the sugar and spices. Although I like this fragrance the way it is, a bit more on the leather side of things would have given this fragrance more of a bite.

It's difficult to sum up this rather complex fragrance in a few words, however if I really had to, B*Men would be defined as a masculine vanilla scent with rich, syrupy woods and licorice accords.
22nd March, 2012
This is me writing about B Men on my partner. Yes, he's got Guerlain in his wardrobe and Parfumerie Generale, he's swanned through Serge Lutens and appreciates Terre d Hermes. But, when it comes down to it, what do I always respond to in an 'OMG you smell gorgeous I have to get close to you' way? B Men. Its been slated by compared to A Men(meh) and discontinued but to me this is the ultimate 'come hither' scent. And in the end, isn't that what it's all about! Super thumbs up to B Men - I love ya!
28th September, 2011
Izzy Show all reviews
Smells like peanut butter!
20th July, 2011

I bought this blind from the internet based on the fact that I wear A*Men and also because of the reviews I read on here! one particular review (its was actually a negative review) compelled me to buy it because the review alone was hilarious! The review was about how it smells like a Stepford wive's burnt rhubarb crumble that is due to be shown at a country fete to win the heart of the general... I laughed for a long time!
Back to the fragrance itself. I can understand the references to the burnt rhubarb crumble-It's the first note you get, but It doesn't detract from the Vetiver accents - I'm a sucker for Vetiver. It is not in any way as nice as A*Men, because it is completely different, and I get more compliments with A*men than this, but it's a lot cheaper than A*men, so I wear it almost every day, and it is just similar enough to fulfill my cravings for the A scent, so i save my more expensive colognes for special occasions.
30th May, 2011
Oh my. I first purchased it blind and hated myself for it. The scent hit me in the face and I didn't expect to nor did I know how to react, nor by nose. However, it grew on me, so much so that I prefer this over any of the other Thierry Mugler fragrances. This is a man's scent with somewhat of a learning curve... You have to have a trained nose to appreciate it.

This fragrance smells like a Spicy cream bakery ... I get a Pumpkin cheesecake type vibe from this. not sweet though. I also get a very brown sugar type vibe. Sort of like Molasses. Its very interesting, not too overpowering if applied correctly. The top is what has a slight, all so slight fruity cream accord and as it dries down the spice kicks in. At the very base, I get that deep brown sugar, almost burnt, leathery Vibe. Very nice. To me, Varvatos Vintage replicated or attempted to replicate this fragrance... there are some similarities.
09th February, 2011
I can see where all the hate comes from - this opens with a singularly repulsive set of topnotes that evoke a sewage leak in a bakery. Lemon-urine vies with burnt cake.

The opening faded within a minute or so for me and B*Men dried down to something quite likeable, a combination of sweetness, spice and woods. Fruity notes and peppery spices revolve around a very smooth, creamy cedar (or, I suppose, sequoia). There's a tantalizing hint of A*men's vanilla and tar, but only a hint. Although the notes seem discordant the whole effect is quite round and smooth and pleasant - this is not a jagged, pencil-shaving cedar, nor are the fruity notes Hawaian Punch sweet.

I find this quite wearable and even serious in a way that A*Men is not - I wouldn't hesitate to wear this into my office. Get this while it's still around!
29th January, 2011
A Real Fruity Patooti that would work as a very,very, very casual fragrance but difficult to take seriously.
The bottle is fun but the scent is a bit much.
Synthetic rhubarb and cherry cough drops yet it still has a masculine vibe.
This may be one of those scents that could evoke bad reactions from others.
But I still have to squeeze in a thumbs up for the uniqueness of it all.
Discontinued....hmmmm...I wonder why?
06th January, 2011
B*Men is one of those love it or hate it fragrances. Rhubarb in the opening with huge bursts of coconut. Top notes can project a bit so you may wanna go light with how many sprays you put on. Middle notes are spicy and woodsy, but I also get some coffee, a little pepper, very light strawberry, and yes..rubber.

Dry down is very appealing and maintains a lot of the coconut, and with all from the series, you get their infamous patchouli dry down.

Good to wear in the winter, or even the fall..Very unique because it's spicy and very sweet, and gets tons of compliments. Longevity is about 6-8 hours. I've seen this for as low as 15 bucks (1.7 oz) at TJ Maxx.
28th February, 2010 (last edited: 12th January, 2011)
B*Men is a different cologne from A*Men they don't have anything in common. Great fragrance though, very masculine.
27th January, 2010 (last edited: 28th January, 2010)
B*men can be a great fragrance if you know how and when to use it (and not overdoing it). This scent remind me of a hot, summer day in Arizona or California in one of those wild west saloons with the whole cactus/coyote scene with the sharp smell of aged dry wood in the air. Beautifully built; don't bother sniffing your wrists when you try this on like you would a subtle scent.. it is best experienced while actually wearing it for a full day.
20th January, 2010
Rhubarb, fruit, and some variety of cedarwood is a close approximation of B*Men. It's a 'big accord' in the truest sense of the word, and a little does go a long way! Fragrance nuts will scoff that B*Men is not very complex, and that it exhibits hardly any evolution during the drydown... and they're right, because B*Men is pretty much a one-note show from start to finish. You either like it from the first squirt, or you don't.

I happen to like it a lot, and it seems to me that the rhubarb-cedar accord is fairly unique, too. At least nothing like B*Men comes to mind. Ditto for the camouflage green rubber bottle which is weird, ugly, and impossible to slip out of your hand and break on the floor. Overall, a remarkable product and worthy of a place in anyone's collection.
07th January, 2010
I am an undoubted fan of A*Men, but to me B*Men is the superior of the two as it is unmistakably masculine and to my mind very handsome. As a scent, it undoubtedly has a close family resemblance to A*Men but to me has an awesome burnt sugar/tar note that gives B*Men a beautifully mysterious darkness that A*Men lacks. I reckon that B*Men could easily have been named “A*Men Black”, but the deep red inset in the rubberised bottle also suits the mood of the smell nicely. Nonetheless A*Men and B*Men smell sufficiently different from each other to each warrant a place in someone’s collection. If you basically like A*Men but find sometimes find it a bit too goofy, sweet, pushy or instantly recognisable, then B*Men may be a good alternative. I think its only brickbat is that its sillage is poor in hot weather. Otherwise, I must admit that I am shocked that this is being discontinued so soon after it was launched, and as it is now being sold at bargain prices I would recommend stocking up on it as it will shortly be sorely missed by many.
11th December, 2009 (last edited: 24th February, 2011)
Hey, this is what I was looking for: a sweet parfum which is not too strong, gentle enough to grab me, and it gives to me a sense of peaceful time. I am going to buy a new one as soon as I finish it. Ok!!!!
16th November, 2009
Bigsly Show all reviews
Those who give this a negative rating might want to ask themselves what the alternative is. Do you want yet another generic sweet/spicy "men's" fragrance? Isn't this attempt at a new kind of sweet/spicy fragrance for men worthy of at least an "E for effort," even if you don't like it at all? I would give it a neutral even if I didn't like it, just for its uniqueness.

As to the actual smell, the rhubarb produces a "nose twisting" quality that older fragrances such as Habit Rouge possess too. Ciel Mon Jardin! also uses rhubarb, but it's a simpler fragrance (the vanilla is strong) with less of a nose twisting quality, so if you like the rhubarb but don't want some of the other notes, there is an alternative that you might prefer.

In any case, this is a fragrance that is "love/hate" for most people, in terms of finding it to be wearable or not. I find that when I am bored with more traditional fragrances, I can turn to B*Men and it "hits the spot." So, it is clearly unique, there is certainly good dynamism among the notes, and it is technically sound (sillage/longevity). The only major issue that some may find is the balance. Some of the notes are "in your face" and if you really don't like those notes, you probably won't like B*Men. However, I suggest sampling this every few weeks to give yourself time to adjust to it. You might hate it at first and come to like it. At the prices it's selling for now, and considering that it is quite unique and well done, a fragrance aficionado should strongly considering owning at least a 50 ml bottle.
15th November, 2009
Importantly perhaps, I've bought B*Men solely on the strength of several reviews here. My gaaawd! How right I was.

This meisterwerk of a perfum has got very little to do with Mugler's Angel Men, its name and bottle similarity aside.
The gorgeous, pansexual (oh yes; it attracts ALL sexes) fragrance stays on for hours and has no (A*Men vanilla) neauseating effect whatsoever. Elegant and classy, with perhaps just a smidgeon of YSL opium for men thrown in for good measure, B*Men is like no other men's cologne.

True gem. Brilliant stuff.

Thank you, Thierry Mugler.
05th November, 2009
Aquil Show all reviews
Great stuff ! A much more interesting fragrance than A men. I love this on windy days...
29th September, 2009
auee Show all reviews
One of the more interesting aspects of fragrances is that the same scent can both smell differently to different people and smell differently on the skin of different people. On me, there is only a very modest amount of sweetness, but strong spice and wood notes. There is nothing feminine about this scent on my skin. The dry down is progressive and one is ultimately left with a dry, warm spiced wood fragrance. I am firmly on the side of those who get great enjoyment from wearing B Men. The sillage and longevity are top notch. At its discounted price, it is one of the great buys in men's fragrances and I am getting a second bottle as it is now discontinued and I want to be able to wear B Men for years to come.
28th September, 2009
Hmm, is that rhubarb I can smell? I like it better than the amazing A*men. I think I can still smell coffee in the opening that was present in A*men, but this has more of a fruity side to it rather than the dessert food notes that was in A*men. It's also has the same kind of longevity and sillage as A*men. It's a keeper.
27th August, 2009 (last edited: 07th October, 2009)
shamu1 Show all reviews
Outstanding fragrance here. Consider this to be a drier, less heavy and less sweet version of A*Men. There are many similarities between the two, with the biggest being that both have the original Angel accord at their core.

It's sweet, woody and very spicy, just like A*Men is, but without the heavy chocolate note. Unlike A*Men, B*Men has a crispness to the topnotes, likely from citrus and lavender. It doesn't last as long or project as strongly as A*Men, but this is still a bold, daring, and strong fragrance. It's a sexy smell.

Although I prefer A*Men due to its better longevity, bigger sillage, and bigger patchouli presence, B*Men is a truly unique, high quality fragrance that does the Mugler house and Angel line very proud. Mugler should never have discontinued this.

26th August, 2009 (last edited: 17th April, 2011)
For me A*Men is a comic world Villain while the B*Men is raised to save Mugler's comic world as a Superhero... The severe and intense -ve affect of A*Men could only be revived by B*Men and nothing else...
For me A*Men is a "hate" symbol and to love it you have to get B*Men.
A*Men is simply a junk drink of caramel, coffee and chocolate... while B*Men no doubt has a burning sugar aroma and coffee touch but with bearable amount and manly affect that is blended well with spicy and woody notes.
I tested both deeply on each hand with generous amount... as a result and matter of fact, I was trying to keep my hand away from my nose where I have sprayed A*Men while Ireally admired sniffing the forearm where I have splashed B*Men.
No doubt A*Men is better in power and silage but only if you want to feel like a COSTA AD of COFFEE in VANILLA & CARAMEL flavor... yakhhhhhhhhh....!!!
13th August, 2009