Reviews of Original Vetiver by Creed

Vetiver reduced
With the aid of soapy musks
To freshness itself.
17th October, 2017
Right off the bat I smell the fresh lime and lemon. I like it. There's something there that's cardboard. It dried out and I still definitely smell it. I don't know what the projection will be like, but the longevity is good so far. Update. Longevity lasted about 4hrs. I had high hopes for my first Creed. Unfortunately, my quest for a juice that lasts all day continues. Longevity average. Projection average. Nobody commented
Try #2. Unremarkable juice. First impressions are correct
15th July, 2017
I love this fragrance so much. It just smells so CLEAN. I mean REALLY clean. Imagine taking a handful of grass. I mean the most beautiful grass you have ever smelt. From some sort of Swiss mountain meadow in the middle of summer. You squeeze the juice from this grass and then add the most beautiful smelling clean soap and give it a mix. You now have OV. I can't see for the life of me how anyone could not enjoy this one. Massive thumbs up from me!!
10th July, 2017

My first Creed fragrance and a blind buy. Believe the soap comments when you read them. It does smell like soap. I was pretty irked at first. But then I gave it some time, and with that said, it smells like a beautiful, powerful, green, gingery, ultra-fresh soap that you want to smell like.

Personally I love it.

The vetiver is there but you really have to be on the lookout for it. Very subtle. The "vetiver in name only" reviews are fairly accurate.

It's a great performer which is a must for me. It lasts all day on me.

Scent:9/10
Longevity:9-10/10

27th April, 2017
pjr Show all reviews
Puerto Rico
It smells good. Clean, fresh, soapy and citrusy I can compare this to an "original barbershop scent" or some sport soaps that smell "fresh".

Even though, I don't think this is a unique scent because of the comparisons above mentioned, which can smell like some common soap for men or shave products, hence my neutral rating.

If you like to smell clean and fresh kind of an "after shower scent", it smells like a good quality one and has a good longevity. Not sure about projection as I only sampled this on a teststrip, yet my room smells like it, so I assume its quite strong.
18th April, 2017
Clean, smooth, herbal, fresh green vetiver scent done right!

Creed's Original Vetiver speaks for itself with its very classy quality - like the smell of honeysuckle with dew on grass on a cool morning. Lasts a LONG time on me, without becoming offensive. Has a mildly soapy sensation suggested greatly by scents like Gendarme V and Thierry Mugler Cologne.

Whereas Creed's Bois du Portugal explores the spicy side of classy vetiver scents, Original Vetiver centers on the crisp and fresh floral side. The boutique-quality maceration process is unmistakable.

A much more affordable type of this scent would be Eau de Vetyver by L'Occitane, without the floral crispness. Definitely a "gourmet" vetiver scent that is worth checking out (if not in sample form initially).
05th February, 2017
This is just a first impressions Review. Haven't tested for more than two hours. But I find the initial scent smells like juicing your own green juice with lemons and celery, ginger and other greens. This ginger smells like real ginger as your juicing it! Incredibly fresh, As it dries down I can understand the soap comments. I can't really explain it. But soap dried on your hands is close enough. Then after half hour I can barely even smell a skin scent. Its like Iam inosmic to it. But I do enjoy this scent. Don't regret buying it, it's winter here too so I'll try it more in the summer I think. But the freshness of the notes is crazy, I've been dissapointed in this fragrance game when I find out how certain notes smell in colognes. I thought the ginger in this would ruin it for me. But it's bang on real ginger. Very natural smell. I smell quality in this juice.
20th January, 2017
A blast of fresh green...... followed by clean soap and talc.. very natural. The vetiver lingers quietly. Makes you feel right out of the shower. Old school. Barbershop. It projects like a beast and lasts all day. I love it. My wife convinced me to buy it. I'm glad I listened. During warm months, I wear it alone. In winter, I combine it with Green Irish Tweed. Amazing.
20th January, 2017
Like many vetiver perfumes this one is vetiver in name only, the title aromatic being notable by its absence. If I bought a bottle of ginger beer and it turned out to be lemonade, I would be entitled to complain, but one has to make allowances for perfumes. It does in fact have a pleasant lemony-citrus aspect, together with a goodly dose of galaxolide or similar white musk, probably some ambergris too. I fancy there may be a trace of musk ketone or something very similar, an old fashioned chemical scent which I don't personally like at all, but it's not enough to put me off. Similarly I can't work up enormous enthusiasm for the sweet incense like aspect, similar to Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet, which is detectable in the drydown. The overall effect however is pleasantly clean and soapy, in the same general area as that very traditional gentleman's fragrance, Monsieur de Givenchy. I also like the bottle with its graduated tint. The only thing against this otherwise excellent product is the price - regrettably it's a shade more expensive than lemonade.
26th November, 2016 (last edited: 11th December, 2016)
Fresh, green and grassy in the beginning. After the first hour, I am starting to detect some vetiver, but in small proportions; the fresh bergamot and mandarin are stronger with a sprinkle of iris. The base is mostly white musk with synthetic ambergris and, the main word to describe it is "soapy". I find the whole fragrance overrated and at medium designer quality level. There is something that puts me off from the start which comes and goes at times.
23rd August, 2016
There is no in between with this fragrance. You will either love it or hate it. I happen to love it to the point that it has become my signature warm weather fragrance. At first spray, there is a large blast of sweet citrus up front that smells more like mandarin than anything else to my nose. For me it subsides a bit after the first half hour, but still pops up throughout the day in small wafts. After about 20 minutes I swear it smells exactly like marijuana without the skunkiness for the next hour or so. I even had a guy on the street corner ask me if I had weed for sale, because he swore that was what he smelled! Vetiver appears to me about 2 hours in, but stays in the background behind the soapy scent for the rest of the duration. The scent is extremely fresh and clean throughout & the vetiver hint is minimal. The name of this scent is a bit misleading for sure. The longevity on this lasts about 14 hours on my skin & I get lots of compliments on how good I smell. I can still smell it very subtly on the collar of my shirts, even a few days after they are washed. I will forever keep a bottle of this one in my fragrance wardrobe for warmer weather.
28th June, 2016
I snagged a tester of this on fragrancenet for 85 bucks and I'm so happy I did. It's an elegant crisp, clean scent. I have a small sprayer of Guerlain's Vetiver and it smells dirty and putrid compared to this one.

I'm not certain what all I smell in this, but I do smell vetiver. It's more like a bunch of vetiver grass taking a shower and then was immediately bottled up for my enjoyment.

Longevity - 12 hours easy
Projection - 4 feet
Overall - 9/10
20th May, 2016
I received Creed Original Vetiver as a gift as I had been looking for one that would work for me. I originally purchased Guerlain Vetiver and did not care for it per my review on Basenotes. My opinion is that it was dominated by Tobacco scent on the dry down. I truly like the Creed OV scent as it has grown on me quite quickly. It has made its way up to my top 5 right now. Clean and fresh smell with 4-6 hours of longevity and moderate Silage. Projection is good in beginning but one needs to get close during the dry down to capture the scent. I do not like to walk into a room or pass someone and have my cologne dominate the area around me. All my favorites project the same so I have found my Vetiver Scent now. I have been told that Tom Ford falls in the middle of both Guerlain and OV. So when this bottle runs dry, I may try a smaller version of the Grey Vetiver to compare.
11th May, 2016

Had such high hopes for this one based on the wonderful opening, but it's all downhill from there. I dig woody fragrances ala Bottega Veneta, but for some reason the woodsy base in this (and many others) just puts me off. Borderline headache territory. Is it the sandalwood? Is there Cedar/Iso Super E in here? Whatever it is, I don't like it. I guess it's not a comment on the fragrance itself, so much as my taste/personal reaction to it, but I can't bring myself to give this more than a tentative neutral rating.

22nd April, 2016
bejahu Show all reviews
Fresh, green, clean, soapy and excellent fragrance. I love vetivers, and this fragrance is the perfect choice for someone just getting interested in the note. Similarities to Mugler Cologne are well-founded, at least for the first ten minutes when they are nearly identical. The difference becomes apparent in the dry down. Mugler Cologne has a plastic smell that I find off-putting, and it only lasts about half an hour on my skin. Original vetiver stays deep and as the citrus dries down, the vetiver becomes more pronounced; moreover, the longevity is a good five hours. I find it superior in every way (except for price) to Mugler Cologne.

This fragrance works in just about any situation from formal wear to a linen shirt and shorts. It is especially delightful in the spring and summer.

Two thumbs way up on this one.
30th March, 2016
The ginger and mandarin are very strong to start the scent off. Very clean, and the vetiver comes in quite quick. The sandalwood makes a sudden appearance half an hour later. This dry down is actually very refreshing. Why couldn't Royal Water's base smell like this. They are exactly the same, but they smell completely different... Oh well. I will be adding this to my wardrobe within the next few months.
03rd February, 2016
On paper it was actually good smelling but once on my skin it was horrible...grandmas soap as stated before too bad...only Aventus and MI are really good from the house of Creed and MI not really worth the money because of bad longgevity and sillage....
26th November, 2015
Original Vetiver is an average vetiver composition at best. Having sampled and owned a great variety of vetiver based fragrances in my years, I believe I have developed a certain lay knowledge of the variations of this scent. To my nose, OV is predominantly sandalwood, musk, ginger and green vetiver, in that order. There's a hint of citrus and cinnamon in the opening, which provides a fresh and clean effect, and OV is a pleasant fragrance to wear, but it's ultimately boring, and at Creed prices, you can find several much more diverse and authentic options. Pass this by for Guerlain, Givenchy, L'Occitane and Encre Noir and you'll have covered the field with change to spare.

Neutral at best...
24th November, 2015
I love creed ,that being said ...I have been trying out various creeds as samples before committing to a bottle or bottle(s) hence in that quest I happen to test Original Vetiver....the first thing you notice is an uplifting green -fresh out of shower smell.. emanating from the top notes of bergamot & mandarin...which stays for quite some time and then it settles down into a vetiver greenish base ..I couldn't really pick any ginger but could smell a faint spice .maybe that's because of the ginger spice ..but the overall dominate feel is a green / vetiver scent and I couldn't help but notice that it would be rather mood enhancing during summers when u are looking for respite from the heat outside ...and the heat I am referring to is humid heat ..in excess of 90 degree F
one smell that you take will transport you to a green valley away from the heat ...and that's what its biggest strength is : Mood enhancer ...
I haven't worn it regularly hence I cant really talk about projection and sillage but knowing the reputation of creed I don't think this would be found wanting in those criterions as well.
I Recommend this for a summer wear and when you need to uplift your mood with some natural smelling vetiver which is light and green !
20th August, 2015
Original Vetiver has quickly become one of my staples for work. It is such a fresh, clean scent that fits the professional setting appropriately. Upon initial application, I get a fresh citrus aroma. To my nose it smells like lemons (likely from the bergamot). This lemon citrus mixes extremely well with the ginger to give it hints of zest. The lemony zest is just so refreshing, especially during the warmer months. The citrus fades just a bit (although it does not disappear entirely) as the heart of the fragrance emerges. In my humble opinion the heart of this fragrance is absolutely exquisite and my favorite aspect of the scent. I get this slightly seductive dry/grassy/earthy aroma with the lemon zest lingering in the background. This dry/grassy/earthy smell I attribute mostly to the vetiver, but the sandalwood may be a key player as well. What’s amazing about this fragrance is that the freshness remains throughout the life of the scent. Even in the late stages of the dry down stage, the fragrance still emanates this freshness that keeps me refreshed all day long!

As for performance, I consider it above average, overall. Not a fragrance that will overpower other scents, but it maintains a daring aura. Projection and sillage are both average on my skin. Never really gets too far away from me. Longevity, however, is excellent. On my skin, this fragrance lasts > 8 hours. Even after a long workday, I can still get hints of this amazing fragrance!

Compliments for this fragrance are few and far between. By observing the reactions of the people around me when I wear this fragrance, I’ve noticed it lacks a WOW factor. But compliments are NOT the BE-ALL & END-ALL in regards to fragrances :) This is still an amazing fragrance that elicits confidence and a wonderful feeling of freshness. Certainly a must try from the House of Creed!
16th August, 2015
Original Vetiver remains, by some distance, the best fragrance I've smelled from the house of Creed. It is fresh, green, grassy and soapy. It opens up on the skin a very vibrant green fresh fragrance. About thirty minutes into the application it starts to emit the most gorgeous wafts I've ever encountered in any fragrance. This sensual experience continues into the drydown, where it becomes soft, alluring and vaguely musky.

Vetiver is the major player in this fragrance. But as with Creeds, this vetiver comes from the stem of the vetiver grass rather than its roots, which lends the fragrance the fresh green aroma. There is some ginger to add some zing and mild spiciness. And there is some sandalwood to provide a rounded feel. Overall it smells utterly delightful.

In summer, this is usually what I'd choose to wear over everything else.
08th March, 2015
Better than Creed Vetiver but still lousy for the price. Ginger and sandalwood is more prominent than the vetiver.

This review is for Vetiver not Original Vetiver.
23rd November, 2014 (last edited: 13th December, 2014)
Vetiver is subtle and fleeting. Overall composition: The soap beside grandmas bathroom sink.
04th November, 2014
I love vetiver, especially vetiver fragrances that smell like vetiver. Fresh, soapy, boring, not at all earthy.
06th September, 2014
Emoe Show all reviews
My favourite Creed

Yes its got a starting smell of soap, but it really doesnt linger hard, kinda just blends into the other aromas.

For me, the resulting aroma i am left with is absolutely lovely, that said im a vetiver lover!

The sillage is really good, and longevity is great, definently worth a try in my book.
19th July, 2014
Wash a car on a hot summer day. Dump out water with soap and suds into freshly cut grass. Urinate on the soap soaked grass. Original Vetiver.
05th July, 2014
The opening note is a blast of citrus/lemon grass/citronella. Some people tell me this note smells like bug spray and others are obsessed with the freshness. Reminds me a lot of Acqua di Parma Colonia. I tend to always be hot and where other colognes come out super strong but then fade away quickly, Original Vetiver has staying power. 1 spray on the back of my neck lasts a solid 6 hours! Most I've ever used was 3 sprays (back of neck, lower chest, 1/2 on back of knees) and it started to be cloying.

I'm in my 20's and my gf (22) loves this smell! I'd say some scents are definitely for the matured crowd, this is not one in my opinion. JFK sported it and wooed Marilyn Monroe...end of story (look it up!).

Other than it being the only "vetiver heavy" cologne I have, it is the biggest "change up" in smell in my collection.
03rd July, 2014
Tmoran Show all reviews
This one often gets compared to Thierry Mugler cologne. I see how people will make the comparison but honestly while they share similarities I feel creed makes the better fragrance. Well to be clear it really depends on your age. If your over 30, go for the creed. It has a richer deeper and slightly darker tone. its fresh but has depth. There is a soapy quality but with a much greener tone as compared to TMC. TMC on the other hand to me is for the younger crowd who can appreciate what the creed fragrance is but doesnt feel it lends itself well to someone of their age. In other words its for those who like Original Vetiver but feel its too mature for them to wear in public. TMC thought to me is a much lighter, cleaner and is even more soapy. Dare I say that the creed just smells more complex and of higher quality. IMHO all creed fragrances share the same basic DNA. You know creed when you smell it. Just like a well tailored suit VS something off the Mens warehouse rack. If you have the nose to appreciate the finer things Original Vetiver is worth the extra money and can be had for a decent price if your patient.
16th May, 2014
Candy-sweet neroli with vetiver underneath, giving it a fresh-grass feeling. There's a salty, oceanic undertone, but it's too "green" to be "aquatic". Comparisons to Mugler Cologne are apt (worn side by side, they smell almost the same for the first half an hour or so), but the bases set them apart. While Mugler deteriorates down to weird spermy soap, Original Vetiver ends up hours later as a captivating mix of vetiver and bready tonka, with long-lasting neroli keeping up the sweetness while a quiet smudge of ambrox provides a thick richness to everything. No points for originality, and this is a fairly easy target for Creed haters, but the quality is definitely there.

Oh, and Original Vetiver performs best on incredibly hot days, the kind that wipe out most perfumes. It really sings in the heat...

16th April, 2014
I'm a big vetiver fan (love my Vetiver Extraordinaire, Sycomore, Guerlain, Dior), and particularly from having worn Dior Vetiver a lot, I'm "tuned in" to that clear expression of the root and guess what? It's absolutely there in Original Vetiver. It may not dominate, but it's a crucial part of the fresh-green structure.

I've generally dismissed Creed, as many of their scents to me rely too heavily on common aroma chemicals (particularly dihydromyrcenol), and I just don't get a clear superiority in their ingredients to justify the prices. However, I'm impressed with OV. I've been longing for a light, affable "green" fragrance that didn't smell like a chemical mess (we all know that horrible artificial "green" note that wafts around these days) -- something like vetiver but not necessarily with all that smoky rooty-ness (which I do love). OV fits the bill.

Also worth noting is what for me is a vivid lemongrass note in the beginning, supported by ginger, then eventually softened with florals (iris?). At no point do I get overt synthetics cheapening the experience. If this is what easy-going and fresh and fun can smell like, sign me up!
06th April, 2014