Reviews of Original Vetiver by Creed

Find out more about Original Vetiver by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Mapletop's avatar

Vetiver is subtle and fleeting. Overall composition: The soap beside grandmas bathroom sink.

04th November, 2014

Jonny Panic's avatar

I love vetiver, especially vetiver fragrances that smell like vetiver. Fresh, soapy, boring, not at all earthy.

06th September, 2014

Emoe's avatar

My favourite Creed

Yes its got a starting smell of soap, but it really doesnt linger hard, kinda just blends into the other aromas.

For me, the resulting aroma i am left with is absolutely lovely, that said im a vetiver lover!

The sillage is really good, and longevity is great, definently worth a try in my book.

19th July, 2014

Unvisible's avatar

Wash a car on a hot summer day. Dump out water with soap and suds into freshly cut grass. Urinate on the soap soaked grass. Original Vetiver.

05th July, 2014

rbl1990's avatar

The opening note is a blast of citrus/lemon grass/citronella. Some people tell me this note smells like bug spray and others are obsessed with the freshness. Reminds me a lot of Acqua di Parma Colonia. I tend to always be hot and where other colognes come out super strong but then fade away quickly, Original Vetiver has staying power. 1 spray on the back of my neck lasts a solid 6 hours! Most I've ever used was 3 sprays (back of neck, lower chest, 1/2 on back of knees) and it started to be cloying.

I'm in my 20's and my gf (22) loves this smell! I'd say some scents are definitely for the matured crowd, this is not one in my opinion. JFK sported it and wooed Marilyn Monroe...end of story (look it up!).

Other than it being the only "vetiver heavy" cologne I have, it is the biggest "change up" in smell in my collection.

03rd July, 2014

Tmoran's avatar

This one often gets compared to Thierry Mugler cologne. I see how people will make the comparison but honestly while they share similarities I feel creed makes the better fragrance. Well to be clear it really depends on your age. If your over 30, go for the creed. It has a richer deeper and slightly darker tone. its fresh but has depth. There is a soapy quality but with a much greener tone as compared to TMC. TMC on the other hand to me is for the younger crowd who can appreciate what the creed fragrance is but doesnt feel it lends itself well to someone of their age. In other words its for those who like Original Vetiver but feel its too mature for them to wear in public. TMC thought to me is a much lighter, cleaner and is even more soapy. Dare I say that the creed just smells more complex and of higher quality. IMHO all creed fragrances share the same basic DNA. You know creed when you smell it. Just like a well tailored suit VS something off the Mens warehouse rack. If you have the nose to appreciate the finer things Original Vetiver is worth the extra money and can be had for a decent price if your patient.

16th May, 2014

rogalal's avatar

Candy-sweet neroli with vetiver underneath, giving it a fresh-grass feeling. There's a salty, oceanic undertone, but it's too "green" to be "aquatic". Comparisons to Mugler Cologne are apt (worn side by side, they smell almost the same for the first half an hour or so), but the bases set them apart. While Mugler deteriorates down to weird spermy soap, Original Vetiver ends up hours later as a captivating mix of vetiver and bready tonka, with long-lasting neroli keeping up the sweetness while a quiet smudge of ambrox provides a thick richness to everything. No points for originality, and this is a fairly easy target for Creed haters, but the quality is definitely there.

Oh, and Original Vetiver performs best on incredibly hot days, the kind that wipe out most perfumes. It really sings in the heat...

16th April, 2014

onethinline's avatar

I'm a big vetiver fan (love my Vetiver Extraordinaire, Sycomore, Guerlain, Dior), and particularly from having worn Dior Vetiver a lot, I'm "tuned in" to that clear expression of the root and guess what? It's absolutely there in Original Vetiver. It may not dominate, but it's a crucial part of the fresh-green structure.

I've generally dismissed Creed, as many of their scents to me rely too heavily on common aroma chemicals (particularly dihydromyrcenol), and I just don't get a clear superiority in their ingredients to justify the prices. However, I'm impressed with OV. I've been longing for a light, affable "green" fragrance that didn't smell like a chemical mess (we all know that horrible artificial "green" note that wafts around these days) -- something like vetiver but not necessarily with all that smoky rooty-ness (which I do love). OV fits the bill.

Also worth noting is what for me is a vivid lemongrass note in the beginning, supported by ginger, then eventually softened with florals (iris?). At no point do I get overt synthetics cheapening the experience. If this is what easy-going and fresh and fun can smell like, sign me up!

06th April, 2014

lex's avatar

soapy fresh and soapy fresh. wow I keep smelling my wrist and im getting fresh soap. to me this isn't interesting at all. its just sitting there doing what it suppose to I guess, and that's to make you smell fresh

26th February, 2014

JDBIII's avatar

Original Vetiver = Mugler Cologne except that MC is better and cheaper and came out first. But, who's counting? Is it good? Yes. Do I like it? Yes.

18th January, 2014

dno101's avatar

Vetiver, in an original way (if not heavily borrowed from Mugler) . Clean, sporty, elegance.

23rd December, 2013

's avatar

Fair

Inoffensive, clean, fresh and a bit soapy.

To me it's very soft, the Citrus, the Vetiver and the Creed bones.

It doesn't really do enough for its asking price.

The Vetiver is there, but so clean soft and almost mute.

After a little while, I'm sure I get the odd waft of Pyralone.

One of the most potent aromachemicals I've sampled in it's naked form.

If it is in there, that's what'll be adding the grassiness

Possibly even part of whatever fraction of or faux Vetiver is in use here.

My opinions of Course

Pros: Fresh, Clean
    Cons: Overpriced - not uber factor like some Creeds"

27th October, 2013

MrMookie's avatar

Not the Vetiver champ at all.

Got a big sample of 4 ml last week and did my best to be neutral.
    I placed a few drops on my palms and wrist while driving home.
    And you can tell this is a well made scent!
    Its dry vetiver based on lemon and bitter oranges its very fresh in the first 15 minutes but developes into a closeskin deep oily vetiver which will surround you and does not screams "IM A Vetiver bomb"

One thing :
    To truly enjoy its deliciuos vetivers troke you need to put your nose close...
    and thats my only CON about this scent which is pricy.
    Its projection could be more.
    Will i pay its price of 1$/ml? ... not now, niche is nice but prices are overrated...

Get Guerlains Vetiver for the true vetiver experience

Pros: mehh i
    Cons: Mehh its not ALL THAT "

24th August, 2013

Happyguy's avatar

quickly turns into a generic soapy perfume

Original Vetiver started with a crisp, citrus blast. I liked it a lot.

As it dried down, the citrus departed, the green cripness remained and a soapy perfume emerged.

Eventually, all I got was ordinary perfume. Where was the vetiver? Maybe the soapiness chased it away.

Not at all what I wanted in a vetiver scent.

Pros: Lasting
    Cons: Lasting"

21st August, 2013

DanHD's avatar

Nice clean summer scent

Original Vetiver is a nice light green scent. It has little vetiver; it’s more of a pleasant citrus / green opening and the classic Creed amber drydown. When I first tried OV, I was thinking, "simple, on the boring side, what’s the fuss?" But this one grew on me. I think it’s going to be my go-to summer office fragrance, besides L’Homme. I’m not very fond of the aquatic fragrances, so this is a great alternative. OV shines when you’re outside in the heat and moving – it really starts to resonate.

I don’t think this is a classic vetiver scent though. If you want a true vetiver experience, I recommend trying FM Vetiver Extraordinaire, Chanel Sycomore, or Guerlain Vetiver.

Pros: Simple, pleasant, classic Creed drydown
    Cons: Not a classic "true" vetiver"

01st August, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

This is Creed's take on vetiver. While other companies have used vetiver for heavier smokier woody-oriental winter fragrances, Creed made a vetiver that is more accessible and versatile. Opens with a soapy citrus, smells a lot like neroli.

But the vetiver note in Original Vetiver is truly wonderful. It combines both the leaves and the roots. While many vetiver notes are one dimensional, this vetiver note truly stands out. It is clean, yet smells like a patch of dirt, but it is much on the sweeter side. It is not shrill or grainy, but rather smooth and rich.

Projection and longevity on this fragrance are better than most Creeds, and decent in it own's right.

Personally, I didn't like this one at first, but I appreciated it more and more over time. So please make sure you wear this a few times before you judge it.

This fragrance is often compared to the much cheaper Mugler Cologne, but Original Vetiver wins on all counts. Yes, it is very similar to Mugler Cologne, but Original Vetiver easily beat it out. Better quality ingredients (especially the vetiver note). Less synthetic and shrill. More mature. More safe and wearable. It is well worth the higher price if you have the money.

What may turn people off is the soapiness of the opening (which may be a bit medicinal) as well as the note of vetiver in general. More conventional minds may not appreciate this as much as you do, but it's as accessible as vetiver has ever been. Overall, aside from that, there is a lot to love here.

An excellent creation the Creed house. Vetiver lovers finally have an option they can wear in the summer. I would recommend sampling this one.

29th May, 2013

Danielstripedtiger's avatar

To be fair, I don't like many vetivers so keep that in mind. This opens with a soapy vetiver like Himalaya, and dries down to a green vetiver boring frag. There is something there that made it one step below dislike, I washed it off and sold the bottle.

30th March, 2013

wormstir's avatar

I really like this stuff, a gentle and sparkling vetiver that smells very classy, a perfect daytime unisex work scent, and in summer sunshine would smell fantastic. It smells of the very grassy vetiver rather than the earthier vetiver root. Reminds me of the much cheaper L'Occitane Vetyver, and of course the very similar and much cheaper Mugler Cologne, which is near on identical. For Creed freaks, makes a nice change from GIT whilst somehow having a similar fresh vibe.

However, sillage and projection could definitely be better, especially at this price.

20th December, 2012 (Last Edited: 16th April, 2014)

rbaker's avatar

The name is not telling the whole story: this fragrance is much younger than Vetiver 1948, and there is much more to OV than Vetiver. A lot of citrus in the opening, then vetiver but not the usual earthier root but more the leaf scent of the plant. Much less dirty. Wood and later ambergris in the drydown with a soapiness at the end that makes me wonder whether "original" is used here in the sense of "unusual". Decent longevity of three hours on me but limited silage and projection make it a good office fragrance in spring or summer.

16th November, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A well made green and fresh fragrance, great for spring and hot summer days.
    At the opening you can smell very green and fresh vetiver note with some citrus notes. funny thing here is this green and fresh combo give you sour grapes vibe!
    In the mid the green and sour grape vibe start to fade and very transparent and light vetiver note comes in! it's very smooth and pleasant.
    In the base again, you can smell vetiver note with some soapy vibe. very nice and clean.
    Projection is good but longevity is poor on my skin.
    I get 3-5 hours.

08th November, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

This Creed opens with a citrus and soap fragrance. VERY strong. The problem with Creeds are that they don't last. The citrus disappears very quickly, and you are left with the soap. Green soap...Irish Spring type soap. Just as the soap dries down, the cedar and the tiny amount of vetiver peeks out, the scent is gone. MONSTER projection/sillage for the first 15 min. then No projection/sillage for a couple of hours, then Nothing. Longevity 3-4hrs. Like GIT, if you put your nose to your skin, you can smell soapy cedar for 8hrs...but it just smells weak. Original Vetiver isn't original, and there is almost no Vetiver. Of course Creed House worshipers will defend it...

09th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 03rd December, 2012)

Oscroft's avatar

This is my first Creed fragrance, and after sampling it a couple of times, I really liked it enough to buy a bottle.

The citrus in the opening smells like real dried orange peel, not the "Terry's Chocolate Orange" synthetic smell that some others offer, and it lasts surprisingly well. And coupled with the fresh greenness, it makes a really nice opening.

Some say there's not much vetiver in it. It's certainly not a one-note vetiver fragrance, but once it starts to dry down, I get plenty of it - it's greener and fresher than, say, Guerlain Vetiver, and nowhere near as woody, but to me it's clearly there in good quantity.

Later on, the sandalwood and cedar start to come out to me - more subtle than many, but very nice indeed. And even at this stage, there's still some of the opening orange there. And even later, there's a bit of a musky skankiness, if that makes sense - is that a combination of musk and ambergris? And even at the end of it all, when it's nearly gone, there are still hints of the opening orange.

As for longevity, the samples I tried lasted 4-5 hours on my wrist (which is good - fragrances just don't last on my wrist), and with a full wearing I'm getting in excess of 12 hours - which is exceptionally good. And I've been getting compliments on it too, which is unusual for me.

All in all, I think this is a fabulous fragrance, and definitely my favourite Creed so far - I'm very happy I bought it at a bargain price when I had the chance. (I like Aventus too, but full price is a bit too much for me).

02nd September, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

I previously gave this a neutral rating. After wearing this one quite a few times, I would have to give it a thumbs up. Slightly soapy and green scented frag that could be worn year round. This is a grown man's scent (30+). I don't get a lot of Vetiver in this one but it is in there. Definitely one to have in your arsenal.

22nd August, 2012 (Last Edited: 25th December, 2012)

cerjr's avatar

A unique take on Vetiver. I can smell the traditional Creed base, but this vetiver is different than many others. Not as soapy as Tom Ford Grey Vetiver or Jo Malone Vetyver Cologne, nor as dark as Guerlain Vetiver A sweetness is what I get from it, and I don't typically like sweet on me, but this works well. It is something you won't smell on many other people, has a long life when wearing, and gives an air of sophistication and class.

08th June, 2012

JamesChalky's avatar

Fresh, clean class.

14th March, 2012

Darvant's avatar

As well as many others underlined this one is a soapy vetiver with a bright citrusy opening ( a blast of aromatic greens, lemon, mandarine and bergamot),  a sort of softening progression and a warm woodsy base of sandalwood, ambregris, may be benzoin and oakmoss. I detect in the heart some floral notes on the side of an high quality vetiver which that are a balanced supplement to the general laundry severity. The standout element is the bergamot in my opinion, with all its retro british temperament. The smell of this cologne is classic and severely conservative.

29th February, 2012

Mattshafer2001's avatar

My first review so bare with me. I currently own GIT and SMW and love both. I don't have any of the longevity problems that many reviewers complain about with Creed fragrances. I have sampled Royal Oud and Himalaya and enjoyed both. I received all my samples from Saks when I purchased my Silver Mountain Water. I was ready to attribute complaints about longevity in Creeds to knock off bottles.

With that being said the longevity on Original Vetiver is horrible. I typically apply before I leave for work, and with my other Creeds I can still smell myself at 8 PM when I get home. With OV I applied this morning at the usual time and 3 hours later I had to reapply. Now 4 hours later I am searching for the scent again.

The scent itself is fresh, smells great when first applied, and could be interesting, unfortunately I just can't tell anymore what it smells like.

Perhaps I will try again when the weather warms up to see if the staying power improves.

14th February, 2012

hreple's avatar

Blind bought this from a fellow BN'er more or less because my father had this a long time ago, and I just couldn't get that fantastic looking flacon out of my head.

Looks aside (even though it looks gorgeous with it's dark green bottom), Creed Original Vetiver smells as clean and smooth as I was hoping for.
    It's very grassy and clean, with a distinct soapy nature my girlfriend just adores. I detect a sort of pine-note in the drydown - and I just love the smell and the feeling of cleanness and freshness.

I get around six good hours out of this fragrance, still easy to trace after eight hours, although by then it's not very prominent, and I have to really sniff my wrist to detect it (I always do four sprays, two to my wrists and two to my neck).

If you want to smell clean, soapy and fresh - a sort of "fresh out of the shower" scent, this is the one for you. It's probably my best blind-buy ever, and I'm sure I'll get another one when this one is empty.

Bottom line - A great looking flacon and a fantastic scent.

27th January, 2012

autumngleeman's avatar

I'm changing my tune and giving this a thumbs up instead. The problem in dry environments like Denver Colorado is that frags like this get sucked up by your skin if you don't use some moisturizer or something. In more humid places I have found the scent to carry on much longer. It is a refreshing and atypical vetiver scent with nice warm ginger and citrus notes. Almost smells like cut grass or something too. If you have dry skin, apply with unscented moisturizer.

04th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2012)

Dernier_Cri's avatar

A perfectly balanced lemon green clean clothes from the dryer kind of fragrance. This is pleasant with a capital P. When I was a kid one of the pleasures of going on vacation was staying at motels which supplied their guests with Dial soap, a soap we didn't use at home. Now that I'm a sophisticated man I can purchase my lovely soap smells by the bottle. I don't think my level of enthusiasm here makes that likely. The vetiver in this one? Every once in a while I think I detect a little smoke. Or do I? Original vetiver does a quick fade. That's just how original it is. But exceedingly pleasant to the end.

30th December, 2011