Positive Reviews of Original Vetiver by Creed

I love creed ,that being said ...I have been trying out various creeds as samples before committing to a bottle or bottle(s) hence in that quest I happen to test Original Vetiver....the first thing you notice is an uplifting green -fresh out of shower smell.. emanating from the top notes of bergamot & mandarin...which stays for quite some time and then it settles down into a vetiver greenish base ..I couldn't really pick any ginger but could smell a faint spice .maybe that's because of the ginger spice ..but the overall dominate feel is a green / vetiver scent and I couldn't help but notice that it would be rather mood enhancing during summers when u are looking for respite from the heat outside ...and the heat I am referring to is humid heat ..in excess of 90 degree F
one smell that you take will transport you to a green valley away from the heat ...and that's what its biggest strength is : Mood enhancer ...
I haven't worn it regularly hence I cant really talk about projection and sillage but knowing the reputation of creed I don't think this would be found wanting in those criterions as well.
I Recommend this for a summer wear and when you need to uplift your mood with some natural smelling vetiver which is light and green !
20th August, 2015
Original Vetiver has quickly become one of my staples for work. It is such a fresh, clean scent that fits the professional setting appropriately. Upon initial application, I get a fresh citrus aroma. To my nose it smells like lemons (likely from the bergamot). This lemon citrus mixes extremely well with the ginger to give it hints of zest. The lemony zest is just so refreshing, especially during the warmer months. The citrus fades just a bit (although it does not disappear entirely) as the heart of the fragrance emerges. In my humble opinion the heart of this fragrance is absolutely exquisite and my favorite aspect of the scent. I get this slightly seductive dry/grassy/earthy aroma with the lemon zest lingering in the background. This dry/grassy/earthy smell I attribute mostly to the vetiver, but the sandalwood may be a key player as well. What’s amazing about this fragrance is that the freshness remains throughout the life of the scent. Even in the late stages of the dry down stage, the fragrance still emanates this freshness that keeps me refreshed all day long!

As for performance, I consider it above average, overall. Not a fragrance that will overpower other scents, but it maintains a daring aura. Projection and sillage are both average on my skin. Never really gets too far away from me. Longevity, however, is excellent. On my skin, this fragrance lasts > 8 hours. Even after a long workday, I can still get hints of this amazing fragrance!

Compliments for this fragrance are few and far between. By observing the reactions of the people around me when I wear this fragrance, I’ve noticed it lacks a WOW factor. But compliments are NOT the BE-ALL & END-ALL in regards to fragrances :) This is still an amazing fragrance that elicits confidence and a wonderful feeling of freshness. Certainly a must try from the House of Creed!
16th August, 2015
Original Vetiver remains, by some distance, the best fragrance I've smelled from the house of Creed. It is fresh, green, grassy and soapy. It opens up on the skin a very vibrant green fresh fragrance. About thirty minutes into the application it starts to emit the most gorgeous wafts I've ever encountered in any fragrance. This sensual experience continues into the drydown, where it becomes soft, alluring and vaguely musky.

Vetiver is the major player in this fragrance. But as with Creeds, this vetiver comes from the stem of the vetiver grass rather than its roots, which lends the fragrance the fresh green aroma. There is some ginger to add some zing and mild spiciness. And there is some sandalwood to provide a rounded feel. Overall it smells utterly delightful.

In summer, this is usually what I'd choose to wear over everything else.
08th March, 2015

Emoe Show all reviews
My favourite Creed

Yes its got a starting smell of soap, but it really doesnt linger hard, kinda just blends into the other aromas.

For me, the resulting aroma i am left with is absolutely lovely, that said im a vetiver lover!

The sillage is really good, and longevity is great, definently worth a try in my book.
19th July, 2014
The opening note is a blast of citrus/lemon grass/citronella. Some people tell me this note smells like bug spray and others are obsessed with the freshness. Reminds me a lot of Acqua di Parma Colonia. I tend to always be hot and where other colognes come out super strong but then fade away quickly, Original Vetiver has staying power. 1 spray on the back of my neck lasts a solid 6 hours! Most I've ever used was 3 sprays (back of neck, lower chest, 1/2 on back of knees) and it started to be cloying.

I'm in my 20's and my gf (22) loves this smell! I'd say some scents are definitely for the matured crowd, this is not one in my opinion. JFK sported it and wooed Marilyn Monroe...end of story (look it up!).

Other than it being the only "vetiver heavy" cologne I have, it is the biggest "change up" in smell in my collection.
03rd July, 2014
Tmoran Show all reviews
This one often gets compared to Thierry Mugler cologne. I see how people will make the comparison but honestly while they share similarities I feel creed makes the better fragrance. Well to be clear it really depends on your age. If your over 30, go for the creed. It has a richer deeper and slightly darker tone. its fresh but has depth. There is a soapy quality but with a much greener tone as compared to TMC. TMC on the other hand to me is for the younger crowd who can appreciate what the creed fragrance is but doesnt feel it lends itself well to someone of their age. In other words its for those who like Original Vetiver but feel its too mature for them to wear in public. TMC thought to me is a much lighter, cleaner and is even more soapy. Dare I say that the creed just smells more complex and of higher quality. IMHO all creed fragrances share the same basic DNA. You know creed when you smell it. Just like a well tailored suit VS something off the Mens warehouse rack. If you have the nose to appreciate the finer things Original Vetiver is worth the extra money and can be had for a decent price if your patient.
16th May, 2014
Candy-sweet neroli with vetiver underneath, giving it a fresh-grass feeling. There's a salty, oceanic undertone, but it's too "green" to be "aquatic". Comparisons to Mugler Cologne are apt (worn side by side, they smell almost the same for the first half an hour or so), but the bases set them apart. While Mugler deteriorates down to weird spermy soap, Original Vetiver ends up hours later as a captivating mix of vetiver and bready tonka, with long-lasting neroli keeping up the sweetness while a quiet smudge of ambrox provides a thick richness to everything. No points for originality, and this is a fairly easy target for Creed haters, but the quality is definitely there.

Oh, and Original Vetiver performs best on incredibly hot days, the kind that wipe out most perfumes. It really sings in the heat...

16th April, 2014
I'm a big vetiver fan (love my Vetiver Extraordinaire, Sycomore, Guerlain, Dior), and particularly from having worn Dior Vetiver a lot, I'm "tuned in" to that clear expression of the root and guess what? It's absolutely there in Original Vetiver. It may not dominate, but it's a crucial part of the fresh-green structure.

I've generally dismissed Creed, as many of their scents to me rely too heavily on common aroma chemicals (particularly dihydromyrcenol), and I just don't get a clear superiority in their ingredients to justify the prices. However, I'm impressed with OV. I've been longing for a light, affable "green" fragrance that didn't smell like a chemical mess (we all know that horrible artificial "green" note that wafts around these days) -- something like vetiver but not necessarily with all that smoky rooty-ness (which I do love). OV fits the bill.

Also worth noting is what for me is a vivid lemongrass note in the beginning, supported by ginger, then eventually softened with florals (iris?). At no point do I get overt synthetics cheapening the experience. If this is what easy-going and fresh and fun can smell like, sign me up!
06th April, 2014
Vetiver, in an original way (if not heavily borrowed from Mugler) . Clean, sporty, elegance.
23rd December, 2013
DanHD Show all reviews
Nice clean summer scent

Original Vetiver is a nice light green scent. It has little vetiver; it’s more of a pleasant citrus / green opening and the classic Creed amber drydown. When I first tried OV, I was thinking, "simple, on the boring side, what’s the fuss?" But this one grew on me. I think it’s going to be my go-to summer office fragrance, besides L’Homme. I’m not very fond of the aquatic fragrances, so this is a great alternative. OV shines when you’re outside in the heat and moving – it really starts to resonate.

I don’t think this is a classic vetiver scent though. If you want a true vetiver experience, I recommend trying FM Vetiver Extraordinaire, Chanel Sycomore, or Guerlain Vetiver.

Pros: Simple, pleasant, classic Creed drydown
Cons: Not a classic "true" vetiver"

01st August, 2013
Original Vetiver by Creed

This is Creed's take on vetiver. While other companies have used vetiver for heavier smokier woody-oriental winter fragrances, Creed made a vetiver that is more accessible and versatile. Opens with a soapy citrus, smells a lot like neroli.

But the vetiver note in Original Vetiver is truly wonderful. It combines both the leaves and the roots. While many vetiver notes are one dimensional, this vetiver note truly stands out. It is clean, yet smells like a patch of dirt, but it is much on the sweeter side. It is not shrill or grainy, but rather smooth and rich.

Projection and longevity on this fragrance are better than most Creeds, and decent in it own's right.

Personally, I didn't like this one at first, but I appreciated it more and more over time. So please make sure you wear this a few times before you judge it.

This fragrance is often compared to the much cheaper Mugler Cologne, but Original Vetiver wins on all counts. Yes, it is very similar to Mugler Cologne, but Original Vetiver easily beat it out. Better quality ingredients (especially the vetiver note). Less synthetic and shrill. More mature. More safe and wearable. It is well worth the higher price if you have the money.

What may turn people off is the soapiness of the opening (which may be a bit medicinal) as well as the note of vetiver in general. More conventional minds may not appreciate this as much as you do, but it's as accessible as vetiver has ever been. Overall, aside from that, there is a lot to love here.

An excellent creation the Creed house. Vetiver lovers finally have an option they can wear in the summer. I would recommend sampling this one.

29th May, 2013
I really like this stuff, a gentle and sparkling vetiver that smells very classy, a perfect daytime unisex work scent, and in summer sunshine would smell fantastic. It smells of the very grassy vetiver rather than the earthier vetiver root. Reminds me of the much cheaper L'Occitane Vetyver, and of course the very similar and much cheaper Mugler Cologne, which is near on identical. For Creed freaks, makes a nice change from GIT whilst somehow having a similar fresh vibe.

However, sillage and projection could definitely be better, especially at this price.
20th December, 2012 (last edited: 16th April, 2014)
rbaker Show all reviews
The name is not telling the whole story: this fragrance is much younger than Vetiver 1948, and there is much more to OV than Vetiver. A lot of citrus in the opening, then vetiver but not the usual earthier root but more the leaf scent of the plant. Much less dirty. Wood and later ambergris in the drydown with a soapiness at the end that makes me wonder whether "original" is used here in the sense of "unusual". Decent longevity of three hours on me but limited silage and projection make it a good office fragrance in spring or summer.
16th November, 2012

A well made green and fresh fragrance, great for spring and hot summer days.
At the opening you can smell very green and fresh vetiver note with some citrus notes. funny thing here is this green and fresh combo give you sour grapes vibe!
In the mid the green and sour grape vibe start to fade and very transparent and light vetiver note comes in! it's very smooth and pleasant.
In the base again, you can smell vetiver note with some soapy vibe. very nice and clean.
Projection is good but longevity is poor on my skin.
I get 3-5 hours.
08th November, 2012
Oscroft Show all reviews
This is my first Creed fragrance, and after sampling it a couple of times, I really liked it enough to buy a bottle.

The citrus in the opening smells like real dried orange peel, not the "Terry's Chocolate Orange" synthetic smell that some others offer, and it lasts surprisingly well. And coupled with the fresh greenness, it makes a really nice opening.

Some say there's not much vetiver in it. It's certainly not a one-note vetiver fragrance, but once it starts to dry down, I get plenty of it - it's greener and fresher than, say, Guerlain Vetiver, and nowhere near as woody, but to me it's clearly there in good quantity.

Later on, the sandalwood and cedar start to come out to me - more subtle than many, but very nice indeed. And even at this stage, there's still some of the opening orange there. And even later, there's a bit of a musky skankiness, if that makes sense - is that a combination of musk and ambergris? And even at the end of it all, when it's nearly gone, there are still hints of the opening orange.

As for longevity, the samples I tried lasted 4-5 hours on my wrist (which is good - fragrances just don't last on my wrist), and with a full wearing I'm getting in excess of 12 hours - which is exceptionally good. And I've been getting compliments on it too, which is unusual for me.

All in all, I think this is a fabulous fragrance, and definitely my favourite Creed so far - I'm very happy I bought it at a bargain price when I had the chance. (I like Aventus too, but full price is a bit too much for me).
02nd September, 2012
I previously gave this a neutral rating. After wearing this one quite a few times, I would have to give it a thumbs up. Slightly soapy and green scented frag that could be worn year round. This is a grown man's scent (30+). I don't get a lot of Vetiver in this one but it is in there. Definitely one to have in your arsenal.
22nd August, 2012 (last edited: 25th December, 2012)
cerjr Show all reviews
A unique take on Vetiver. I can smell the traditional Creed base, but this vetiver is different than many others. Not as soapy as Tom Ford Grey Vetiver or Jo Malone Vetyver Cologne, nor as dark as Guerlain Vetiver A sweetness is what I get from it, and I don't typically like sweet on me, but this works well. It is something you won't smell on many other people, has a long life when wearing, and gives an air of sophistication and class.
08th June, 2012
Fresh, clean class.
14th March, 2012

As well as many others underlined this one is a soapy vetiver with a bright citrusy opening ( a blast of aromatic greens, lemon, mandarine and bergamot),  a sort of softening progression and a warm woodsy base of sandalwood, ambregris, may be benzoin and oakmoss. I detect in the heart some floral notes on the side of an high quality vetiver which that are a balanced supplement to the general laundry severity. The standout element is the bergamot in my opinion, with all its retro british temperament. The smell of this cologne is classic and severely conservative.
29th February, 2012
Blind bought this from a fellow BN'er more or less because my father had this a long time ago, and I just couldn't get that fantastic looking flacon out of my head.

Looks aside (even though it looks gorgeous with it's dark green bottom), Creed Original Vetiver smells as clean and smooth as I was hoping for.
It's very grassy and clean, with a distinct soapy nature my girlfriend just adores. I detect a sort of pine-note in the drydown - and I just love the smell and the feeling of cleanness and freshness.

I get around six good hours out of this fragrance, still easy to trace after eight hours, although by then it's not very prominent, and I have to really sniff my wrist to detect it (I always do four sprays, two to my wrists and two to my neck).

If you want to smell clean, soapy and fresh - a sort of "fresh out of the shower" scent, this is the one for you. It's probably my best blind-buy ever, and I'm sure I'll get another one when this one is empty.

Bottom line - A great looking flacon and a fantastic scent.
27th January, 2012
I'm changing my tune and giving this a thumbs up instead. The problem in dry environments like Denver Colorado is that frags like this get sucked up by your skin if you don't use some moisturizer or something. In more humid places I have found the scent to carry on much longer. It is a refreshing and atypical vetiver scent with nice warm ginger and citrus notes. Almost smells like cut grass or something too. If you have dry skin, apply with unscented moisturizer.
04th January, 2012 (last edited: 10th May, 2012)
A perfectly balanced lemon green clean clothes from the dryer kind of fragrance. This is pleasant with a capital P. When I was a kid one of the pleasures of going on vacation was staying at motels which supplied their guests with Dial soap, a soap we didn't use at home. Now that I'm a sophisticated man I can purchase my lovely soap smells by the bottle. I don't think my level of enthusiasm here makes that likely. The vetiver in this one? Every once in a while I think I detect a little smoke. Or do I? Original vetiver does a quick fade. That's just how original it is. But exceedingly pleasant to the end.
30th December, 2011
A mainstay of the Creed line, one of their generally good green scents...just don't hope for too much vetiver. Ignore the name, and approach OV as a grassy floral. I also will note that the resemblance to Mugler Cologne isn't that close to my nose, and I'd place OV between MC and drier, more conservative soapy green frags like Armani Eau PH and Monsieur de Givenchy. The opening of OV is strikingly moist and lush, along the lines of a Gendarme scent. It's kind of exhilarating, fizzy but not irritatingly so, and I can almost see and touch the stems, leaves, grasses and flowers that it depicts. Unlike Mugler, the top notes here are suprisingly devoid of citrus, leaving a scent totally free of sourness, and without the shrill astringence that a lot of soaps have. Somehow, they've created a scent that doesn't smell like the bar of soap itself, yet is entirely built of notes which would quickly remind anyone of soap. The green notes get a bit darker and heavier later on, but they don't devolve into Violet Soup as in some green scents. It doesn't change very much from the top notes to the mid notes, though it weakens a bit more than I'd like. I don't like the trace of woody notes that appear farther in, because they bring a bit of a mustiness, but still in a very natural way. Also, as the base approaches, the florals get just a bit "wilted", with a somewhat thicker sweetness. Regardless, I'd heartily recommend this both for its soapy florals and its green freshness.
02nd October, 2011
one of my favorite creeds. very green, very soapy, very classy, but not very vetivery (new word folks!) . i dont care if the vetiver is subtle in this juice ,its still very good- its a very clean scent .long lasting as well -recommended
02nd September, 2011 (last edited: 16th December, 2011)
Absolutely wonderful. My wife loves this scent-- which says a lot because she usually doesn't form many opinions about my fragrances. OV has a distinct clean scent. Very green, but very satisfying. It is definitely on my "to-buy" list.
22nd August, 2011
So I could write that Original Vetiver isn't necessarily 'original'. I could state that it's very soapy, or that it's very 'green', or that it's a very light fragrance that's best for summer wear. I could do that, but it would simply be redundant.

Creed's Original Vetiver, on its own is a nice fragrance, if a bit light and suffering from the same issues pervasive in any current generation Creed: Short on longevity, minimal sillage if any at all. In a word, it's innocuous. It's barely noticed, even by the wearer. It does have that 'fresh-out-of-the-shower' feeling, and the notes of sandalwood finally do peek through when the base reveals itself, albeit all too quickly.

My wife finds the smell nice, comforting, 'green' and very fresh, though not in a way that overpowers the wearer. Calming is the best description. Is it a good Vetiver? Yes. While there's a lot going in here and it isn't linear, it also isn't stifling and a very good summer seasonal scent. Is it a "great" fragrance? I'd stop short of saying that it has that "X-factor" that separates it well as a signature fragrance. Good for daily wear, but it falls short of a scent that I'd use to make an impression, nor would I describe it as a truly unique vetiver scent. All things being equal, Le Labo's Vetiver 46 is more intriguing but less of a summer/green/fresh/light vetiver and more of a woody/smoky/mossy combination that surrounds the key-note. If you're seeking the former, Creed's OV is a very good choice. It falls just short of being "great" in my view.
18th August, 2011
Ok, so this is a really soapy fragrance! Everyone who has sampled it knows this, so I will not address the issue here. Simply put, Original Vetiver is an unflinchingly green fragrance... extremely green! It does not attempt to disguise this (even the bottle color gives it away!)...it lays out its greenness, and simply says it is what it is. The opening is a citrus blend of bergamot and mandarin with ginger added for some spice. The heart is composed of authentic Haitian vetiver leaves (as opposed to vetiver root), Florentine iris, and sandalwood. The base is the traditional Millesime base of musk and ambergris. In short, this is an incredibly light, fresh, and vivaciously effervescent fragrance, which is the perfect summer scent for those who prefer green fragrances over more aquatic-based scents such as Millesime Imperial. Original Vetiver is very much in the vein of Green Irish Tweed, but with more citrus influence and the green quality of the titular vetiver, whereas GIT relies more heavily on its floral elements.
16th May, 2011
This is a fancy veviter.

Like all the creeds I've ever tried, it smells good. If that's all you need to hear then stop reading, because you won't be disappointed by the scent. However, it may be too fancy for someone looking for a classic vetiver. When compared to Guerlain's vetiver, this has more stuff going on. It's more complex and may disappoint someone looking for a simple interpretation of the vetiver.
10th May, 2011
Everything has been said about this fragrance, so I will keep my humble comments to a minimum. I am not a vetiveraholic so powerhouse vetivers like Encre Noire don't really appeal to me. Original Vetiver barely qualifies as a vetiver fragrance since it is so thoroughly dominated by its green, soapy qualities. But is a wonderful green fragrance, clean and very smooth, thanks to the familiar Creed style base - which meets its perfect match in OV's soapy assertiveness. I did a 180 on this one. It was my least favorite the first time I sampled Creeds. I almost washed it off, I found it so soapy and astringent. For whatever reasons, I now think it is my favorite Creed and the kind of scent that could easily become a signature scent.
06th April, 2011
Fresh-mowed lawn, Ivory soap, cool limeade, fresh pressed ginger, sandalwood and baby powder, and hugging your Grandpa. This smells like walking through Easter morning dew on the way to Church. Starts grassy clean with a citrus burst, then dries down to a soft, warm lemony musk and ambergris.

To me, this is what it smells like to be clean. And cleanliness is next to Godliness. Some have mentioned this smells soapy as though that's a bad thing. I've found most women love a man who smells clean and crisp.

There's just enough warmth here with the ambergris and sandalwood to make it a comforting smell. It's certainly not as complex as say Guerlain's rich oak-moss-laden Vetiver, but for an everyday warm weather scent, I can hardly think of something that brings more of a feeling of quiet confidence and peace.

3 out of 5 for sillage (though this is good for office wear), 4 out of 5 for longevity.

Best worn in spring and summer with a linen suit.
05th April, 2011