Positive Reviews of DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

Find out more about DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sfmedusa's avatar

Glad I only have a tester

I was never really tempted to buy this because I didn't fancy smelling of apples (logically it should smell of apples, being shaped like an apple and all) but I was sent a tester so I thought that I'd at least have a go with it.

The overwhelming topnote on my skin is cucumber, so bright and clearly that I just had to wash it off.  I don't like cucumber at the best of times, but synthetic and over loud cucumber is really not what I want to smell of, and frankly it could have the most fabulous dry down of any scent in the world and I still don't think that I could make myself wear it.

It lasted 10 minutes before I couldn't bear it any more.

16 May, 2013

ynde's avatar

This is really a very fresh and clean summer scent, mostly cucumber with a tiny hint of apple that becomes stronger as the fragrance progresses. Absolutely perfect for sticky hot summer days when you want a bit of a cool down, or if you're not really feeling up to wearing a perfume. Inoffensive, cooling, and just an all-round crowd pleaser, you can't really go wrong with this one =)

10th November, 2012

jollybird17's avatar

I've worn this since it first came out in the UK. Fabulous fruity and sexy daytime scent. Never overpowering. However, I'm now looking for a change, anyone have any suggestions.

30th October, 2011

Red Theodora's avatar

Being a native of the Pacific Northwest corner of the U.S. I have spent time in apple orchards. We're known for our Washington state apples. Be Delicious smells to me exactly like spring in the orchard. Strange how scents like cucumber, grapefruit and muguet turn the apple note to apple blossom to my nose.
    The sample I have is of the edt and it's very light on me, but I like it!

17 August, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

This is apple at its very best.

DKNY Be Delicious is not tarty or sour like I expected it to be, the apple note is fresh, juicy and pretty.

This would make the perfect Summer fragrance. The additives of cucumber, magnolia and lily-of-the-valley makes this fragrance so very soft, feminine and crisp. There's an element of watery freshness which makes this fragrance ideal for really hot days.

The woodsy undertones in the base of this scent is fantastic and very different. A definite highlight for me and a great credit to Maurice Roucel who created this very popular fragrance.

DKNY Be Delicious' popularity is probably what turns me off buying this fragrance. I can't stand the thought of smelling like everyone else. Regardless of how much I enjoy this fragrance, I can't convince myself to get it.

12 June, 2011

colormechris's avatar

Apple is a really difficult note to get right apparently. If it's wrong, it's just wrong. I think Be Delicious gets it right for the most part...the apple here is tart and tangy. A nice warm weather fragrance that's kind of unisex, like a classic eau de cologne. DKNY is the purveyor of good fragrances. They have yet to deliver a great one; but I think someday they will. The decanter for this is truly great though! It's tactile and delightful and pleasing to hold and look at. Karan's bottle designers are some of the best.
    The user ratings here are split in a three way tie. I find usually that if opinion is split down the middle, LOVE/HATE style you've got something really unique on your hands. Here it's split three ways, which I read as "opinions on this are really firm". That means (to me) you've got something quite good on your hands.

15 April, 2011

Abs's avatar

My daughter loves this. It is definitely apple, I lose most of the other notes to that.

28 January, 2011

lemonlemon's avatar

I was really disappointed when I first used my sample. It smelled like rubbing alcohol and strong synthetic apples and I could hardly smell the floral notes.
    Then I smelled it on a friend and decided to try it again. This time, I somehow fell in love with it and had to go get the full size. Now it smells fresh and fruity (like expected) and the magnolia really comes out. Over a few hours on my skin, it evolves into this light floral with just a touch of green apple. I have no idea what happened, but I just went from strongly disliking this to loving it in a manner of months.

12 January, 2011

be delicious girl's avatar

LOVE IT!! Quite possibly my favourite perfume ever! I've received so many compliments when wearing it (even perfect strangers ask about it) I don't find it too sweet or heavy, and once I put it on, I can't really even smell it anymore (which I believe indicates that it works well with my natural scent?) I try new and different perfumes just to mix it up a little, but still keep coming back to this one. It seems to be my signature smell (in a good way) :)

14 July, 2010

Wrench's avatar

The first thing I can say about this perfume is that it is totally age-inappropriate for anyone over the age of 25. If you're under 30 but still living like you're 23, you might have a chance, but otherwise this is a young woman's perfume. That being said, this is one of my absolute favorites. Bright, clean, crisp, fruity and just a little bit sassy. It sprays on with a quick, sharp burst of citrus, more juicy lime than sweet orange, with a quick burst of grapefruit that quickly dissipates into the heartnotes of Golden Delicious apple (don't expect sweet Gala or Pink Lady!) and violet. I don't get much from the rose or tuberose here; again, these scents might mature this distinctly young perfume. The basenotes take a long time to make themselves known; the white amber merely harmonizes with the flowers rather than speaking for itself, and the woods scent is more of a sunlit clearing in a mountain-side woodland, rather than a deep romance novel forest. This is not a perfume for people who like to analyze perfume. It's simple, straightforward and self-explanatory. But if you don't mind smelling like a 22 year-old, first job out of college, self-sufficient woman, this is a wonderful perfume with great potential. Just don't go heavy-handed with it.

03 June, 2010

CarrieDoway's avatar

I bought this hoping for a replacement for my favourite All About Eve....its not. I agree with others that the apple isn't as apparent as it could be and that the cucumber takes a while to subside but its still a nice fresh scent. This is definitely a daytime scent for me.

25 February, 2009

Noraed's avatar

Very refreshing, stylish, light, and fruity perfume.
    Smells like grapefruit at the beginning then it smells like apple with a little watermelon scent, but mostly cucumber.
    It is a Chypre - Floral type of perfume.
    It reminds me of ‘moonflower’ by The Body Shop as it also has refreshing, light, and fruity scent as well as the scent of cucumber and watermelon.
    ‘Be Delicious’ brings the beautiful scent of apple, cucumber and many other fruity scents together, resulting an enjoyable combination of fruity scent.
    Suitable to wear during the summer.

29 April, 2008

dimples's avatar

I took this on vacation with me to Cancun this past winter and wore it almost exclusively. Now that we have summer weather up north here, I'm reaching for this bottle time and again. There's something about this scent that is addictive, especially in warmer weather. The apple and citrus notes are refreshing, it's long lasting and with the right amount of sillage. It's popular in my house as I now have to share my bottle with my two daughters.

21st June, 2007

Havok's avatar

Ladies, there are few perfumes that can make me - basically - fall to my knees. I first smelled this in a magazine and loved it. About a week later I walked past a girl with it on and something in my mind clicked on, and I pursued her like mad. Later, about a year later, smelled it again, and knew it instantly, I had broken up with the first one by then and continued to pursue this one. There is just something about this smell that just drives me absolutely nuts. It's like every thing wonderful about a freshly chilled apple mixed with untamed sexual desire. I love this fragrance!

15 May, 2007

COLOGNEaddict's avatar

A very fresh scent that is good in warm weather and perfect in cold weather. Nice bottle. I'm not a fan of the name, but that's really not a big deal. It's original and you will stand out, because not many people have it (at least in my area).

07 April, 2007

Goodkarma's avatar

I absolutely love this scent and it smells great on my friend Amy as well. Smells like a juicy, crisp, fresh, Granny smith apple at first, then the scent becomes a warm fruity floral. Everyone loves this and it is perfect for casual wear.

05 April, 2007

christykat's avatar

(Cute bottle!) At first I get a strong hint of grapefruit, which is a little bitter - not my favourite, and then after a few minutes I can really smell the cucumber and a bit of apple. After that I can't decide if it reminds me more of fresh apples or canned pears. Nice and mild, unfortunately it doesn't last very long.

04 June, 2006

solyus's avatar

I bought my Be Delicious 2 days ago and first was completely turned off by everyone saying how bad it smelled on them, and I also didn't like the strong apple scent. But I by no means smell like an apple! Like after 15 minutes, a sexy floral scent with a hint of watermelon (which I love) remains, and I already got some compliments for the fragrance. Maybe you gotta have the right chemistry for this one, but it's still lovely! And not unoriginal either, I can't really remember a fragrance similar to this.

03 June, 2006

rubygloomrox's avatar

I loved this when I smelled it in a magazine, but it's not the same from the bottle. My boyfriend can't get enough of it, and bought it for me. So sometimes I wear it for him. But it's just so overpowering! I need softer scents, and this one is as subtle as ammonia.

18 April, 2006

Tovah's avatar

I'm definitely not a fan of most apple fragrances, but Be Delicious is an exception. When I smelled it on the test strip it reminded me of shampoo, but on my skin this is a really wearable, refreshing, and stylish fragrance. I'm going to purchase this one! I love the bottle, too.

25 October, 2005

nase's avatar

Germany Germany

Very modern and somewhat retro at the same time: modern the really genial design of the bottle and package and the freshness and clearness, retro because it reminds me on the apple shampoos, we used in the 80ies, when I was a child, the perfumed pencils and rubbers we loved and the strong colored sweets and candies, that colored teeths and tongue for hours.
    The dominant scent is the apple and maybe melon. It's soo fresh and smooth like warm rain in a late summer afternoon and delicious like fresh fruits eaten while walking through town.
    Very young, very sensual and somehow airy-fairy. I fell in love with it.

21st September, 2005

drfranni's avatar

A truly delicious scent - very fruity, much admired by friends but not too sweet or cloying

15 September, 2005

firexice79's avatar

At first I didn't think I was going to like the way this smelled. I'm not really into apple scented anything. But this smells fantastic. It doesn't reek of apples although there is a hint of it in there. It's not overpowering at all and lasts all day. The body scrub is excellent as well.

30th August, 2005

missellie's avatar

I first sampled Be Delicious in a ferry duty free shop, and I loved it immediately. Along with my friends I tested lots of fragrances, although it was difficult to stick to just a couple of smells. This fragrance stood out as being different from the others, although it was one of the priciest. I think it’s the apple and melon that make it really fruity without being too heavy, and long lasting. It smells lovely on everyone, and I would recommend it for any age group. I am not keen on the bottle. It looks great, but I prefer the old-fashioned kind of bottle with a lids that is less fiddly.

16 August, 2005

Yiannab's avatar

I like this because its so fresh. a nice light fruity smell, perfect for summertime. On me it smells like green apple with a really subtle floral undertone. I got a lot of compliments on the scent and would recommend it to those who are looking for something light and different for the summer season.

11th August, 2005