Reviews of Hummer by Hummer

Find out more about Hummer by Hummer in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sjg3839's avatar

This is not a bad fragrance. Not expensive. This is a good stater kit cologne. Had my bottle for a few years and it still smells the same.

28 August, 2012

Scent-e-mental's avatar

I tried this on my way home from work one day - it was on sale for around $20, At first I thought "what is this" its start is chaotic and as shamu1 notes there are fruity notes which are not indicated in the pyramid. The opening smells a bit like someone's pet spidermonkey ate too much fruit and then vomited it up. The spices add a jarring aspect to the fruit and make it smell a bit "off", thankfully this effect is fleeting. The drydown is where this is best. I don't have any other fragrance which changes as much from start to end. To me the spicy, woody drydown is worth waiting for and to me has a soapiness to it which is reminiscent of some of my favourite powerhouse fragrances, though this is no powerhouse.

11th June, 2011

I thought Joel_Cairo’s review was quite clever. I didn’t realize until I tested Hummer myself that the review is also truthful, accurate, and appropriate. Hummer doesn’t seem to know where it’s going. It can’t tell the difference between its base and its heart. It’s just a collection of a few unrelated fresh, synthetic accords. Bummer.

Originally submitted August 2006

09 December, 2010

ViViD's avatar

Japan Japan

This is ok, I sometimes like it, but I have many fragrances I like more. Its a very sporty scent...and im not very sporty. I also sneeze a lot while wearing this. I have gotten some negative comments on this, so I tend not to use it much. I have had this cologne in my collection for about 2 or 3 years, the same bottle, and its not even used up yet because I just don't wear it often. Honestly its not a bad scent overall, but I like other fragrances better.

27 October, 2010

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Why on earth was this beauty named “Hummer”, after one of the ugliest and pointless automotive creations I can think of? For some, the name invites instant preconceptions, mostly negative and derisory. It appears that only the curious and the olfactorily adventurous will give this fragrance time of day. Naturally, not many would want to admit they were wrong. However, some will be haunted by the reality of what they smelled and would grudgingly admit they need to give Hummer another try. This, ladies and gentlemen, is myself. And I am glad and humbled that I did. If the creators of Hummer carry out a market survey, they may find out that the frag would have a very high ratio of Eyeballs-to-No Sniffs/No Buys. The name, the name….

Hummer switches on the ignition and burns its highly aromatic wheels with one of the mintiest (almost eye-watering) top notes I have experienced. I am surprised that mint is not listed among the notes. I wonder if it is the listed thyme playing a part here, or misinterpreted. Strong lavender (as observed by Shamu1, another note not listed) kicks in and anchors Hummer as a predominant note. The amber in this frag is a dominant player in tandem with lavender, and it joins the chorus early. The spices, however, add an interesting dimension to the theme. At this stage, when I first smelt Hummer, I started having a nicely disturbing feeling of déjà vu. Where had I smelt this before? Francois Blais below alludes to its similarity with Sung Homme. Hmmm… yes, in the sense that they both have this high-treble metallic, obviously synthetic vibe. But no, that wasn’t it for me. Then it clicked: Jo Malone’s 1995 Amber and Lavender. Admittedly “lower quality”, but spicier and lower-priced. Therein is the value proposition of Hummer. We have very good niche scent now available for cheap.

Hummer has significant sillage and would be the monster the actual vehicle is, if over applied, both to the wearer and those unfortunate to be around him/(her?). It is a long-lasting fragrance, especially in full wear. Hummer will enable me have the Jo Malone experience cheaply, stretching my 30ml bottle of Amber and Lavender longer.

Ignore the silly name, overcome any bias against its cheap price and you could find Hummer to be a very nice aromatic scent. I do, and I love Hummer (the scent, not the box-on-wheels).

29 August, 2010

shamu1's avatar

Surprisingly very nice scent! I don't like the opening blast of citrus and lavender because it's got a loud sport cologne freshness that I don't like and feel I'm too old to pull of wearing. I don't understand why lavender and citrus are not listed in the pyramid, because they're so obviously contained in this fragrance. Though it's not a powerhouse frag, don't spray this on too much or else you will smell totally obnoxious.

After the citrus fades Hummer mellows out into a very nice sweet lavender scent with woody and mossy green notes blended in. In fact what I like most about Hummer is that it smells greener as it evolves over time, even though there are no green notes listed in the pyramid. I can smell the woody and spicy notes in the pyramid when the drydown arrives. The drydown is very good, and is the spiciest and best phase of the scent.

This is not a particularly unique fragrance and it does have some of that generic sport fragrance vibe to it, but there's more substance in this than your average sports fragrance. Its spiciness in the drydown is what separates Hummer from the boring sports frags. Awesome heavy glass bottle!

P.S. I HATE HUMMERS!!!

MY RATING: 7.5/10

08 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2010)

Jackisblack's avatar

eau de fart spray in my opinion. Sensory overload. Not even half good

30th September, 2009

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

This is one of those frags I would never buy, thanks to the name. I mean seriously, what does HUMMER have to do with frageances? Anyway, I came across a sample, and I figured, well at least give it a try....
    My first impression was, WOW, this actually smells good! Not original, but good. It reminded me right away of Spark by Claiborne with a dab of Gucci Nobile. It isn't particularly well formulated, but it is a good 'cheapie'. Good enough that I would actually buy this and wear it. Like many said, forget the name...and don't tell anyone what you are wearing!

06 October, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

A bulky lavender top note that fails to drive over the sleeker, more efficient scents.

17 June, 2008

ubuandibeme's avatar

Bummer ~ for sure! After reading the listed notes and sampling the actual scent this is nothing more than a disappointment. The pyramid sounds so inviting, yet it simply falls flat. I don't enjoy this one at all.

25 July, 2007

zztopp's avatar

While the note pyramid looks interesting, this fragrance is basically a light, fresh scent. The top notes are fresh and kind of minty, while the drydown never smells as rich as the note pyramid makes it out to be. Its a decent everyday scent, but common staples like Cool Water and Aqua di Gio has this one beat...badly.

25 August, 2006

deepthought's avatar

A good honest fragrance with a clean fresh day-time appeal and excellent longetivity. What's in the bottle says "I am what I am" not "look at me". What's outide the bottle, i.e the name in big black letters, is filled with pretense and bling-bling associations. Ignore the name, try the scent!

23 May, 2006

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

Hummer is a fresh and casual scent with a good lasting power but nothing out of this world. It’s a nice fragrance but I like H2 better which is a warmer and more relaxing version of this.

08 February, 2006

castorpollux's avatar

Well, it's really not a bad scent, but it feels a bit cheap and doesn't have a lot of personality. It's very long lasting. But i won't buy a bottle as i feel it's a bit sharp and as i said kinda cheap. Now... if they could make a bottle of the scent of the plastic-cardboard where my test vial of Hummer came in, THAT frag, i would get.

05 February, 2006

20scents's avatar

Not bad, but I find it to be too simple and basic. I do not mind wearing it, it's just not as deep as I would like it. A very crisp, outdoorsy scent to be sure, Hummer was not a complete failure, IMO. I think the Hummer H2 scent that came next was much better.

02 December, 2005

Joel_Cairo's avatar

should have been called bummer

06 October, 2005

emad's avatar

Iran Iran

very nice and powerfull fragrance with a lot of staying power and sillage

06 October, 2005

Sardu's avatar

Hypermasculine mix of woods and spices is, curiously, completely non-sexual. (Thus it's safe for daytime wear). Then again, what would you expect from a cologne named after a jeep? Clearly designed for the man who prefers outdoor to bedroom adventures, but on those terms it's pretty good.

19 August, 2005

richie23's avatar

Ok, Hummer shouldn't have made a fragrance. Fragrances that are sponsored by cars or celebrities are usually cheap, synthetic, and forgettable. Still, in all honesty, this one is not half bad. It smells quite nice and for a first scent, it is far better and less sweet than the usual Lucky You's or Curve's. Good for ages 15- 21.

05 August, 2005

Francois Blais's avatar

Although I hate the commercial concept behind the fragrance, I find it is nevertheless a very nice scent!
    Made by the same people who make Sung Homme, it has a very similar spicyness, with an oriental base (tonka bean) instead of chypre.
    Strong, masculine spicy scent.
    Try it if you like Sung Homme!
    (and forget about the hummer thing...)

06 June, 2005

pavneet's avatar

Crude and syrupy. I received a sample of this along with a sample of Aramis Life. What a difference between the two. Where Life is complex and settles with some subtlety, Hummer is cheap after shave at best. You will likely feel the urge to shower all over again after dabbing on a bit of this. If the purpose of a scent is to project your dominant qualities, then if you are going to wear this the word "unctuous" may describe what you are projecting.
    Simply horrible!