Neutral Reviews of Numero Uno by Carthusia

Find out more about Numero Uno by Carthusia in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Numero Oh NO...

To my nose this is a aromatic fougere-ish musk with a reluctant nod to the Mediterranean style of eau de cologne, meaning culinary herbs like thyme and rosemary come into play to bolster the citrus' piquancy. Lavender unfortunately plays the party-pooper here, taking away the natural vibrancy of the citrus-herbs interplay. The fragrance concept while admirably rustic fails to capitalize on the strengths of the style and flounders at the execution level, resulting in a ho hum and somewhat muted, muddied presentation. I'd still wear it with nary a thought but Numero Uno it is not.

Pros: Quietly dignified
    Cons: Too dull for a numero uno"

03 September, 2013

SirSlarty's avatar

A linear spicy musk. Very "perfumey" and old and in your face.

06 September, 2008

jenson's avatar

India India

I was very eager to see what Carthusia was all about after reading thru interesting quotes in Blogs and the constant praise and admiration this House has. It didnt disappoint...however, it didnt smell unique..in other words, i was familiar with the accords in it and it reminded me of few scents it must have been possibly inspired from...

Numero Uno opens with a very boozy accord, in a very nail polish remover kind of way...this accord very soon progresses to a very tart, bright, citrus notes... the effect of Orange peel is very very similar to YSL Live Jazz with a healthy dose of Lavender..its some where in transition from Top to Mid notes that it Uses Thyme in a powdery, copperish way that we are so used to and done in a elegant way in one other scent. The scent that im refering too is PDN New York. Numero Uno relies heavily on this Herbal accord which was so well crafted by PDN in her Masterpiece New York...the mid notes is merely a combination of YSL Live Jazz and PDN NY, not as spicy and balanced as NY though...somewhere in the base, the accords get very crowded and it almost a colossal display and disturbing collage of animalic notes on a base of mushy green vetiver and incense. somehow, it's very raw and real.. seems out of place..maybe it was intented to be raw in it's approach..but again, for someone who has YSL LJ and PDN New York..it'll be hard to ignore the similarities...at the same time, Fans of the same would rever this scent with same passion.

03 September, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2008)

Nothing too exciting here: Numero Uno is not number one in my book. It’s a competent chypre without major flaws: It is primarily masculine because of its somewhat rough camphorousness and sharper textures from the use of eucalyptus and vetiver. Numero Uno is traditionally structured, and its movement is quite uninspiring. The opening is forgettable – I know this for sure because I had to apply it three times before I could force myself to pay enough attention to it in order to register it in my brain – make that four times, I just did it again. I tend to nod off at that citrus / lavender opening that I have met in so many fragrances, and this one seems as mediocre as the majority of that genre. The citrus in Numero Uno is bright and clean, but the lavender muddies up the accord. The middle is herbal / floral, with the thyme being the dominant representative of herbal group: poor choice IMO: Thyme doesn't usually get along well with lavender as far as I'm concerned. The florals that excel are ylang-ylang and violet, and they are presented nicely. This middle level is competent but it's just as forgettable as the opening. For the dry down I get only the vetiver and a little bit of myrrh with an understood but intangible patchouli. The base has a real chypre feel to it, and is my favorite part of the fragrance.

In all, I find this an earthy fragrance – rustic, even. It is without major flaws except that, in the end, it is too safe, too uninspired. Its chypre classification is very real, and that is what I enjoy most about the fragrance. Test out Numero Uno – it’s a respectable fragrance with a platform that has too many squeaky boards for me, but it has the integrity and quality to perform well on and be of interest to someone else.

09 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2011)

Scenturio's avatar

There are so many similarities to the classical Aqua di Parma, that in my view it would be sufficent for a collector of italian scent classics to own just one of them. I would prefer Numero Uno, for its mellower, somehow a little darker basenotes. Anyway a very mediterranean scent, probably recommended for darker skin types, let's say 'latin lover'-models.

27 December, 2006