Reviews of L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I like it, and something in it gives me a similar 'petrol' note like Fahrenheit has. I wouldn't really say it is all that similar to Fahrenheit, but that note sticks out for me. (I'm a big fan of Fahrenheit, as well.)
04th June, 2015
Salutation.
It is very aromatic and fresh charming citruses scent.could be worn in summer or whenever you want to feel happy!

I like it because it takes a long time till the base notes appear.
I always get compliments when i wear this one!
Bravo mr cavallier.

11th May, 2015
This is one weird fragrance. I bought this blindly out of a bargain bin in a pharmacy here. 50 ml for $17 Cad.

This first time I tried it, I thought damn.... Only $17... But I just wasted my money. But this one evolves slowly and after about 2 hours, has transformed into an incredible scent.

A lot of people say it's a green scent. It's definitely herbal, which you'd think would be green, but to me it doesn't feel green. The opening is very strange. For me, it's rosemary and cypress with a note that reminds me of strong celery dominating. It almost turns my stomach for the first 15 minutes or so. That celery note gradually fades and the herbal notes linger for a couple of hours.

But, after 2 to 3 hours the scent suddenly changes. All of the herb disappears and this very soapy, clean fresh scent just comes out of nowhere. To me it's incredible. It's not powdery or sweet at all. It's just a very clean, soapy smell. Longevity and silage are excellent. I spray this on at 6:00 am and when I go to bed at 10:00 pm, that beautiful soapy smell is still lingering.

For me, the scent feels very blue. I know that makes no sense considering how herbal it is, but that's how is for me. And, as others have mentioned, the bottle is really nice.

I would not recommend blind buying this unless you can find a bargain bin like I did. That first hour or two will like be very polarizing. But if you can handle that, the rewards are well worth it.
17th April, 2015

Even though it's called L'Eau Bleue, this one is essentially a green fragrance. Of the ones I've tried from the house of Issey Miyake, this one is by far the best fragrance for men. A spicy, herbal, green, invigorating opening leads to a very good soapy fragrance. It's somewhat in the same ballpark as another gem- Lanvin L'Homme Sport. It's a pleasure to wear and longevity is pretty decent. The bottle is very attractive.
15th February, 2015
L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Pour Homme, namely a soapy-cardamomish ideal "bleu" mash up of Bvlgari Pour Homme Blv, Le Beau Male Gaultier and Lanvin L'Homme Sport. A classic sporty aromatic-"airy/ozonic"-fougere opening (really herbal, citric, green aromatic and piney) and a following evolution towards a liquid-musky cool soapiness with plenty of spices and herbs (ginger and cardamom in particular). Pretty decent and versatile. Nice packaging.
08th February, 2015
smells similar to Azzaro Visit but less wood and more herbal (i agree with MonkeyManMatt) is like Rochas Aquaman, but more complex and Durability Improvement
04th March, 2014
First of all, if you like the original "L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme" and you think this one is a flanker for that with slight changes, you're completely wrong!
It doesn't smell like the original at all! it's something completely different!
The opening is a very bitter, green and at the same time fresh citrusy smell mixed with strong ginger note which give this fresh and bitter herbal smell a peppery aroma.
It's very strong and may shock you at first sniff.
There is no sign of sweetness and floral notes like the original.
It's a fresh herbal and green smell but also brutal and naughty!
In the dry down, still you have that bitter herbal smell. the peppery ginger note faded away and gave his space to slight sweetness,rosemary and very bright woodsy note in the background. I can also smell very light violet note too but it's not in the notes!
In the base you have the dry down smell plus more sweetness and more rosemary note and now that bitter herbal smell is completely in the background!
Good for you if you don't like that smell!!!
It's a very good smell and I like it, but not everybody can stand that brutal note in the opening, so definitely it's not a safe blind buy!
Both projection and longevity is good.
27th February, 2014
Fantastic!

What a great find this one was. Firstly, I have to thank a fellow Basenoter for turning me onto this one. There aren't many interesting designer fragrances left, and then I found L'eau Bleue, and it gave me hope again. It also reminded me how amazing cypress notes are, when done right.

L'eau Bleue opens up with a strong herbal aroma, as many others will say, for a lot of people, it's what makes or breaks this one. For me, it makes it. It's interesting, and captivating, and there's nothing sloppy about it. Heavy on the rosemary in the opening, but balanced out well with the lavender, cypress, citruses, and juniper, oh what a juniper bomb this one is! Juniper berry and cypress, the combination is intoxicating to me, very manly, and quite modern. Lots of woods and oakmoss in the base. Very long lasting, I usually get at least 10 hours with this one. Projection is pretty beast too.

The mastermind behind L'eau Bleue is Jacques Cavallier. Which means a lot to me, because he has made some amazing masterpieces; such as M7, Rive Gauche, Fuel for Life.

As for comparisons, nothing is quite like this one. It does however remind me of Porsche: The Essence, Lanvin Oxygen, and Norne by Slumberhouse.. ya I said it! If you like herbal, you love cypress and woods.. you gotta check this one out.. and hurry too, because it's getting more and more hard to find.

15th October, 2013
bright and sexy

very invigorating with the juniper and rosemary...lasts a long time and is sexy for fall.

09th September, 2013
Sweet Herb that works equally powerful like Bitter Herb

Longevity very good. Sillage very good. Seriously one of a kind herblike fragrance

Very aromatic and relaxing

Right now, July 2013, I just visited the website of Issey Miyake parfums

Guess what, l'eau bleue is not there.. I can't find it.. Only the original, intense, and sport version..

Can someone confirm wether this fragrance has been discontinued or still in production?

Pros: Relaxing, one of a kind sweet herb sensation
Cons: Veryyyy difficuuulllttt to find"

23rd July, 2013
As a mainstream fragrance, this is so niche!!! it has a very distinctive smell. First smelled it on a rich businessman at Neiman Marcus while i was shopping. I asked what he was wearing and the rest is history.

it opens very Herbal, almost medicinal. After it dries down, its heavenly. When i first found it, I bought 4 bottles of the 4.2. love it. Die hard fan.

Other favorites are Tom Ford Private Blends, and Brooks Brothers (New York Gentlemen ... very similar to Neroli Portofino... and Brooks Brothers 1818. Smells like Old Spice but with even more class. Must have!!!)
09th March, 2013
This is a true herbal fragrance.
Green and heavy at the same time, smells very unique and wonderful.
A great aromatic fragrance for sure.
Sillage, lasting power and projection are high.
Worth it because of it's uniqueness and obviously the great smell.
If you like Platinum Egoiste, Rive Gauche, this one you must try.
30th December, 2012 (last edited: 02nd March, 2013)
Blue (Bleue) Issey...Pleasantly surprised...!!!

Up until today, I have not been overly impressed with Issey Miyake fragrances until today...About a month ago, I blind purchased Blue because of the great deal... I finally wore it today.

From the initial spray, I liked it. The fragrance is unique from the get-go... Yes, I get it that well have different noses and picking up scents - I detect a blend of aquatic, citrus, juniper/evergreen, and an almost pepper notes that settles into a clean and fresh fragrance. It is truly unique and I like it. Nice job Issey..!!

I received compliments from co-workers with remarks the silage (projection) was great. While confined to the office today, I know the "Wow Factor" will be there regardless of event or time of year. The bottle is a typical Issey design - uniquely defined and is easy on the eyes. The fragrance is clean and unique and easy on the nose. If you can find a deal for around $30.00 (or less), it is worth it. Trust me and worth reiterating, the compliments, i.e. Wow Factor, will follow - Build it and they will come..!! The longevity is above average, lasting a solid 6-8 hours and while barely detectable, my shirtsleeve still smells like Blue some 14 hours following the initial application.

My cologne collection has now surpassed 300 bottles - Issey Miyake Blue has climbed into my Top 10 favorite.

All things considered, I am giving Blue 4.5 stars out of 5 and definitely suggesting to add to your collection. Ride the wave and don't ask where it goes..!!
02nd November, 2012

With all due respect to the previous reviewer, I don't agree that this is weak at all...after a raucous opening -- yes, bracing is very very apt -- it quiets down a bit but movement throughout the day brings those sharp sweet green herbal elements back. Wearing it today, and expectedly, I can still smell it under my shirt more than 12 hours later, which I definitely can't say for many of my other frags. If you're a sucker for topnotes, this packs a wallop (and yes, some people wont like it; it is indeed sharp) ... If you're a sucker for longevity, then this will stick around with you through the workday and then some. Great for hot sunny days or balmy afternoons ... Might be too sharp and metallic for fall or winter. Strangely, its chrome cap is rather representative to me what the juice is on the inside.
22nd October, 2012
This is a tough one, largely because it's weak. I searched far and wide for a sample of the non-Fraiche version, and eagerly hoped for a grayish-blue herbal aquatic like Bombay Sapphire Infusion. The opening is really well-done: crisp cucumber, juniper, herbs, and just a trace of mint face off against strong but completely un-sweet aqua notes. It has a little bit of the Blenheim-style herbs that I dislike, but not much. Very alpine, sharp, and bracing. It's not quite what I expected...more earthy and less surreal than the original, with more trees and less ocean than I predicted. It weakens faster than you'd expect, but the piney sting remains for a relatively long time. It has just the tiniest bit of violet to sweeten it, which I don't think is necessary at all but isn't enough to do any harm. Very natural pine in the end, but surprisingly weak, so I'm tending to group it mentally with the short-lived moist bitter green genre. I'll grant a reluctant thumbs-up because the natural pine base is unique.
07th October, 2012
Elzéard Show all reviews
It smells quite unusual and exhibits a vague similarity to Lanvin L'Homme Sport, with the addition of ginger throughout the development. The ginger note is remarkably balanced and completely welcome. Overall this is a very interesting fragrance, that manages to preserve one's attention with both its complexity and enticing aroma.
16th May, 2012
I've given this fragrance a couple of goes now and I can stop sticking my nose to my wrist. There's some herby note in it that just draws me into it. It's very comforting and I wish I could put my finger on it. If anyone knows, please educate me on this. This isn't the kind of cologne I'd normally gravitate too, but I really, really like this one.
05th February, 2012
Some may feel that this is a love it or hate it type of fragrance, and I couldn't argue. I see both sides of that coin after wearing this and I remain passionately ambivalent. LEBI is a bright masculine floral that I suppose would work well in the Spring, but I don't care enough to find out.

I would like to point out that the smell isn't blue, but rather purple, for whatever the hell that vague thought is worth. Though I don't mean to compare it to grape drink (ummm, it's purple) because there are no grapes in this smell. There's also a salty, woody note that likes to rear it's head up every now and then, and I would say to it, "salty, woody note, why don't you stick around longer and become dominant." And this note would reply, "no no good sir, that's not what this fragrance is about, it's about floral weirdness," as it runs away and hides under my desk.

Up until now I haven't mentioned the aquatic undertone here, and I've neglected it for a reason. See, there is an aquatic note floating around in here, but I don't want you aquatic hunters to get mad at me because I misled you. The aquatic note here doesn't speak of the ocean, but it makes the floral weirdness "drinkable."

In conclusion, I have no desire to buy this now, but it's odd and pleasant enough that if I were to receive it as a present I would wear it sometimes to "shake things up." I could also have a moment of remembrance six months from now and decide I need to re-asses my opinion. So I stand in neutral territory, but I am looking at the positive's green grass.
26th October, 2011
This particular fragrance opens up with citrus notes wheres the acid aspect is followed by peppery notes without leaving aside the typical ginger aroma (which sadly disappears very quickly).

Not a very good opening at all, but after about 30 minutes, the drydown appears giving to this fragrance a green/herbal chord way much better than the opening.

If you're looking into this fragrance just because you love the original, be careful since they do not have almost nothing in common!
19th October, 2011
Am I the only woman wearing this? I really enjoy it, it is perfect for spring, with rosemary and sage and all things fresh and clean it uplifts me and makes me feel comfortable
07th June, 2011
Sweet, light spice and aquatic. A sort of odd, toasted note -- soggy old cereal in a metal bowl? Vaguely disquieting tone, piercing in a muted, synthetic way. I don't find this at all attractive.
03rd March, 2011
Way ahead of its time and for the typical customer, LEB is a masterpiece. Yes, it smells blue, some say it's green but I can get a hint of seaweed here, not that it was declared, but something salty subtly appears.
Mint will come to your mind if someone tells you, otherwise you think you've smelled something like this before, then there's this splash of really familiar odeurs from the 80's, like flower soaps, aftershaves when things used to be a mix of grass and marine components.
So, this just came to my mind... imagine yourself running through the humid forrest during autumn, the fresh herbs, the wind and then you see the sea and feel all those components mixed on your nose, accented by a hint of mint. that's LEB
07th February, 2011
This fragnance is amazingly sexy and pleasant.It is best and masterpiece from issay miyake house.
16th January, 2011
Wonderful gentleman's scent, the women love it!!!
26th August, 2010
L'Eau Blueu d'Issey pour homme is a great fragrance for very warm days.
When it's too hot (over 32°) the herbal notes become magic, and give a comforting sense of freshess and wellness, all in an elegant way.
Instead it doesn't work when it's fresh and in this occasion it can smell like medicinals or something disgusting or toxic.
It's better one hour after spraying and it's very long lasting.
So it's a another pretty male scent from Issey Myake, but wear it with the right temperature.
22nd August, 2010
This to me becomes almost like a version of Herrera's Aqua. I don't get citrus from the opening which I was hoping for, just a strong dose of peppery spices that I really dislike. To its credit, it's very distinctive, unique almost and would definitely have some admirers but I'm afraid I'm not one of them.

I'm all for 'good things come to those who wait', but here when dealing with £30-40 products, this shouldn't be the case. A good scent should be 'good' all the way, why open so oddly? Even so, the spices and florals during the development are not my type, I'd be far happier with a more straightforward generic citrus or aqua to be honest. Notes? I get pepper, florals, some form of strange seaweed, rose, muted woods, lavender of course and more strange florals. None of which are as 'high', crisp or clear than I had hoped, like Creed's Himalaya does so well. It becomes quite nice, but certainly doesn't remind me of a fresh cool sea-breeze. That is far more refreshing
07th April, 2010
This was the worse thing I've ever smelled. It smells like medicine. a total turn off.
19th January, 2010
Unless you've had positive experiences with herbal scents or possess an enlightened attitude towards anything weird in general, you're likely to find L'EAU BLEUE D'ISSEY's rosemary dominated citrus opening as unpalatable as bitter medicine. So I'm not surprised to read a few negative reviews here. But good things do come to those who wait, the rosemary receding well enough for the ginger, lavender and juniper berry accords to take centerstage and paint the scentscape in gorgeous hues of dark and deep green. At this juncture I can't help thinking, surely 'Bleue' is a misnomer. Then something interesting happens - the lush greenery all but vanishes and I'm left with a freshness that reminds me somewhat of cool ocean sprays. Hahaha! You certainly got me there, Jacques Cavallier. This IS 'BLEUE' after all!
27th October, 2009
An aromatic and very resinous (rosemary, pine?) opening, then spicy (ginger), for a very dry (patchouli) and somewhat powdery (sandalwood?) drydown. After about 45min the amber kicks in to soften the edges. Yet the whole always stays quite airy, in a montain-forest-ocean kind of a way. I

Though the L'Eau Issey pour Homme theme (top notes and the very dry drydown) is present in the composition, the overall effect of L'Eau Bleue is of something never smelled before. It's not the sort of scent that is appealling right away, it's a smell more than a fragrance. The Eau Fraiche version is easier to wear.

It's not really for me (too dry), but I admire Shiseido for having dared to put something like this on the market.

Love the monolithic outer space bottle.

12th August, 2009
The front of the box looks like a billboard, but inside there’s a gorgeous bottle that rivals even Bvlgari for good looks. Unusual & very strong smell that lasts a long time. A scent that you’ll either love or hate, not for everyone, & only for those daring to be different. I bought this & Creed’s Erolfa at the same time & put each on a different arm at the same time. Bleue D’issey is a stronger scent & longer lasting, although Erolfa lasted a long while also & smelled very nice too. But I don’t smell any sea/marine here, as others have noted. If you want a good sea/marine fragrance, try Mare, Aqua Motu, or Oltre.
14th July, 2009