Positive Reviews of L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Find out more about L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

encarnacion2's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

smells similar to Azzaro Visit but less wood and more herbal (i agree with MonkeyManMatt) is like Rochas Aquaman, but more complex and Durability Improvement

04 March, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

First of all, if you like the original "L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme" and you think this one is a flanker for that with slight changes, you're completely wrong!
    It doesn't smell like the original at all! it's something completely different!
    The opening is a very bitter, green and at the same time fresh citrusy smell mixed with strong ginger note which give this fresh and bitter herbal smell a peppery aroma.
    It's very strong and may shock you at first sniff.
    There is no sign of sweetness and floral notes like the original.
    It's a fresh herbal and green smell but also brutal and naughty!
    In the dry down, still you have that bitter herbal smell. the peppery ginger note faded away and gave his space to slight sweetness,rosemary and very bright woodsy note in the background. I can also smell very light violet note too but it's not in the notes!
    In the base you have the dry down smell plus more sweetness and more rosemary note and now that bitter herbal smell is completely in the background!
    Good for you if you don't like that smell!!!
    It's a very good smell and I like it, but not everybody can stand that brutal note in the opening, so definitely it's not a safe blind buy!
    Both projection and longevity is good.

27 February, 2014

The_Cologneist's avatar

Fantastic!

What a great find this one was. Firstly, I have to thank a fellow Basenoter for turning me onto this one. There aren't many interesting designer fragrances left, and then I found L'eau Bleue, and it gave me hope again. It also reminded me how amazing cypress notes are, when done right.

L'eau Bleue opens up with a strong herbal aroma, as many others will say, for a lot of people, it's what makes or breaks this one. For me, it makes it. It's interesting, and captivating, and there's nothing sloppy about it. Heavy on the rosemary in the opening, but balanced out well with the lavender, cypress, citruses, and juniper, oh what a juniper bomb this one is! Juniper berry and cypress, the combination is intoxicating to me, very manly, and quite modern. Lots of woods and oakmoss in the base. Very long lasting, I usually get at least 10 hours with this one. Projection is pretty beast too.

The mastermind behind L'eau Bleue is Jacques Cavallier. Which means a lot to me, because he has made some amazing masterpieces; such as M7, Rive Gauche, Fuel for Life.

As for comparisons, nothing is quite like this one. It does however remind me of Porsche: The Essence, Lanvin Oxygen, and Norne by Slumberhouse.. ya I said it! If you like herbal, you love cypress and woods.. you gotta check this one out.. and hurry too, because it's getting more and more hard to find.

15 October, 2013

conkhi's avatar

bright and sexy

very invigorating with the juniper and rosemary...lasts a long time and is sexy for fall.

09 September, 2013

Berg's avatar

Sweet Herb that works equally powerful like Bitter Herb

Longevity very good. Sillage very good. Seriously one of a kind herblike fragrance

Very aromatic and relaxing

Right now, July 2013, I just visited the website of Issey Miyake parfums

Guess what, l'eau bleue is not there.. I can't find it.. Only the original, intense, and sport version..

Can someone confirm wether this fragrance has been discontinued or still in production?

Pros: Relaxing, one of a kind sweet herb sensation
    Cons: Veryyyy difficuuulllttt to find"

23 July, 2013

the_furr's avatar

As a mainstream fragrance, this is so niche!!! it has a very distinctive smell. First smelled it on a rich businessman at Neiman Marcus while i was shopping. I asked what he was wearing and the rest is history.

it opens very Herbal, almost medicinal. After it dries down, its heavenly. When i first found it, I bought 4 bottles of the 4.2. love it. Die hard fan.

Other favorites are Tom Ford Private Blends, and Brooks Brothers (New York Gentlemen ... very similar to Neroli Portofino... and Brooks Brothers 1818. Smells like Old Spice but with even more class. Must have!!!)

09 March, 2013

's avatar

This is a true herbal fragrance.
    Green and heavy at the same time, smells very unique and wonderful.
    A great aromatic fragrance for sure.
    Sillage, lasting power and projection are high.
    Worth it because of it's uniqueness and obviously the great smell.
    If you like Platinum Egoiste, Rive Gauche, this one you must try.

30th December, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2013)

OCNBreeze7's avatar

Blue (Bleue) Issey...Pleasantly surprised...!!!

Up until today, I have not been overly impressed with Issey Miyake fragrances until today...About a month ago, I blind purchased Blue because of the great deal... I finally wore it today.

From the initial spray, I liked it. The fragrance is unique from the get-go... Yes, I get it that well have different noses and picking up scents - I detect a blend of aquatic, citrus, juniper/evergreen, and an almost pepper notes that settles into a clean and fresh fragrance. It is truly unique and I like it. Nice job Issey..!!

I received compliments from co-workers with remarks the silage (projection) was great. While confined to the office today, I know the "Wow Factor" will be there regardless of event or time of year. The bottle is a typical Issey design - uniquely defined and is easy on the eyes. The fragrance is clean and unique and easy on the nose. If you can find a deal for around $30.00 (or less), it is worth it. Trust me and worth reiterating, the compliments, i.e. Wow Factor, will follow - Build it and they will come..!! The longevity is above average, lasting a solid 6-8 hours and while barely detectable, my shirtsleeve still smells like Blue some 14 hours following the initial application.

My cologne collection has now surpassed 300 bottles - Issey Miyake Blue has climbed into my Top 10 favorite.

All things considered, I am giving Blue 4.5 stars out of 5 and definitely suggesting to add to your collection. Ride the wave and don't ask where it goes..!!

02 November, 2012

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

With all due respect to the previous reviewer, I don't agree that this is weak at all...after a raucous opening -- yes, bracing is very very apt -- it quiets down a bit but movement throughout the day brings those sharp sweet green herbal elements back. Wearing it today, and expectedly, I can still smell it under my shirt more than 12 hours later, which I definitely can't say for many of my other frags. If you're a sucker for topnotes, this packs a wallop (and yes, some people wont like it; it is indeed sharp) ... If you're a sucker for longevity, then this will stick around with you through the workday and then some. Great for hot sunny days or balmy afternoons ... Might be too sharp and metallic for fall or winter. Strangely, its chrome cap is rather representative to me what the juice is on the inside.

22 October, 2012

Redbeard's avatar

This is a tough one, largely because it's weak. I searched far and wide for a sample of the non-Fraiche version, and eagerly hoped for a grayish-blue herbal aquatic like Bombay Sapphire Infusion. The opening is really well-done: crisp cucumber, juniper, herbs, and just a trace of mint face off against strong but completely un-sweet aqua notes. It has a little bit of the Blenheim-style herbs that I dislike, but not much. Very alpine, sharp, and bracing. It's not quite what I expected...more earthy and less surreal than the original, with more trees and less ocean than I predicted. It weakens faster than you'd expect, but the piney sting remains for a relatively long time. It has just the tiniest bit of violet to sweeten it, which I don't think is necessary at all but isn't enough to do any harm. Very natural pine in the end, but surprisingly weak, so I'm tending to group it mentally with the short-lived moist bitter green genre. I'll grant a reluctant thumbs-up because the natural pine base is unique.

07 October, 2012

Elzéard's avatar

It smells quite unusual and exhibits a vague similarity to Lanvin L'Homme Sport, with the addition of ginger throughout the development. The ginger note is remarkably balanced and completely welcome. Overall this is a very interesting fragrance, that manages to preserve one's attention with both its complexity and enticing aroma.

16 May, 2012

SMCinJPN's avatar

I've given this fragrance a couple of goes now and I can stop sticking my nose to my wrist. There's some herby note in it that just draws me into it. It's very comforting and I wish I could put my finger on it. If anyone knows, please educate me on this. This isn't the kind of cologne I'd normally gravitate too, but I really, really like this one.

05 February, 2012

Pasionaria's avatar

Am I the only woman wearing this? I really enjoy it, it is perfect for spring, with rosemary and sage and all things fresh and clean it uplifts me and makes me feel comfortable

07 June, 2011

eaudemale's avatar

Way ahead of its time and for the typical customer, LEB is a masterpiece. Yes, it smells blue, some say it's green but I can get a hint of seaweed here, not that it was declared, but something salty subtly appears.
    Mint will come to your mind if someone tells you, otherwise you think you've smelled something like this before, then there's this splash of really familiar odeurs from the 80's, like flower soaps, aftershaves when things used to be a mix of grass and marine components.
    So, this just came to my mind... imagine yourself running through the humid forrest during autumn, the fresh herbs, the wind and then you see the sea and feel all those components mixed on your nose, accented by a hint of mint. that's LEB

07 February, 2011

manoj4986's avatar

India India

This fragnance is amazingly sexy and pleasant.It is best and masterpiece from issay miyake house.

16 January, 2011

Uncle Ben's avatar

Wonderful gentleman's scent, the women love it!!!

26 August, 2010

paolo74's avatar

L'Eau Blueu d'Issey pour homme is a great fragrance for very warm days.
    When it's too hot (over 32°) the herbal notes become magic, and give a comforting sense of freshess and wellness, all in an elegant way.
    Instead it doesn't work when it's fresh and in this occasion it can smell like medicinals or something disgusting or toxic.
    It's better one hour after spraying and it's very long lasting.
    So it's a another pretty male scent from Issey Myake, but wear it with the right temperature.

22 August, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Unless you've had positive experiences with herbal scents or possess an enlightened attitude towards anything weird in general, you're likely to find L'EAU BLEUE D'ISSEY's rosemary dominated citrus opening as unpalatable as bitter medicine. So I'm not surprised to read a few negative reviews here. But good things do come to those who wait, the rosemary receding well enough for the ginger, lavender and juniper berry accords to take centerstage and paint the scentscape in gorgeous hues of dark and deep green. At this juncture I can't help thinking, surely 'Bleue' is a misnomer. Then something interesting happens - the lush greenery all but vanishes and I'm left with a freshness that reminds me somewhat of cool ocean sprays. Hahaha! You certainly got me there, Jacques Cavallier. This IS 'BLEUE' after all!

27 October, 2009

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

An aromatic and very resinous (rosemary, pine?) opening, then spicy (ginger), for a very dry (patchouli) and somewhat powdery (sandalwood?) drydown. After about 45min the amber kicks in to soften the edges. Yet the whole always stays quite airy, in a montain-forest-ocean kind of a way. I

Though the L'Eau Issey pour Homme theme (top notes and the very dry drydown) is present in the composition, the overall effect of L'Eau Bleue is of something never smelled before. It's not the sort of scent that is appealling right away, it's a smell more than a fragrance. The Eau Fraiche version is easier to wear.

It's not really for me (too dry), but I admire Shiseido for having dared to put something like this on the market.

Love the monolithic outer space bottle.

12 August, 2009

wrbtu's avatar

The front of the box looks like a billboard, but inside there’s a gorgeous bottle that rivals even Bvlgari for good looks. Unusual & very strong smell that lasts a long time. A scent that you’ll either love or hate, not for everyone, & only for those daring to be different. I bought this & Creed’s Erolfa at the same time & put each on a different arm at the same time. Bleue D’issey is a stronger scent & longer lasting, although Erolfa lasted a long while also & smelled very nice too. But I don’t smell any sea/marine here, as others have noted. If you want a good sea/marine fragrance, try Mare, Aqua Motu, or Oltre.

14 July, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

A dirty, herbal, and slightly demented fragrance that one wants to either embrace or hurl at various stages of its evolution. The opening is the olfactory equivalent of the first minutes in "Saving Private Ryan", with a nasal carnage almost unparalelled in modern perfumery. Thankfully, this assault of rosemary and lavender is brief, but it certainly leaves its mark on the wearer. Once it has been suitably tethered, it becomes a much more civilized entity, the balance is better, and there is no dominance from any one single ingredient. A slightly sour sweetness is afforded some attention in the middle and base notes, and I sense that it is the juniper causing this interesting twist in the proceedings. It is very difficult to rate Bleu, but I have to say that it caught my attention from outset, and it never released its grip. For having the cajones to be different, and providing such entertainment, I give it a thumbs up.

04 July, 2009

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

Wow! A stunning scent that evokes color "blue". It is not the typical sportspray, ozone mist or generic aquatic. It is a nice wet woody, aromatic scent with a lot of depth. It is very good for a calm person and it is also great for a summer date.

29 March, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

One of the better and most interesting designer releases in the past few years. It is another interesting creations of Jacques Cavallier.

Very very aromatically clean and surprisingly complex multi-layered composition. Doesn’t smell that synthetic to me as some other reviews seem to indicate.

I get full-bodied and deep green aroma. Grass, waxy bitter tree leaves with slightly medicinal herbs thrown along. Something like a spiced up cucumber slices there, too. Wonderfully masculine. Smells very summery to me in a most wonderful way. I remember few years ago on some warm day in July I wore this on the shore of a lake and it was like a match made in heaven.

This is like a slightly twisted and unstable, more interesting, intelligent and characteristic brother of Azzaro Chrome.

Absolutely great, and the bottle is very beautiful too.

15 February, 2009

BLADE's avatar

God I love this. It is very medicinal in the opening, but once you get through the first ten minutes it's an amazing, fresh blend of wood and patchouli. Imagine walking through a forest. It's been raining overnight, but now the sun is breaking through the canopy overhead and all around you is the vibrant smell of ferns and spring.

This is my favourite, and versatile enough for any occasion. I received more compliments in 12 hours wearing this than everything else i've tried combined. It was on sale at a ridiculous price too..... I couldn't help myself - I cleaned out their entire stock :)

18 December, 2008

Algharb's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Whau! What a wonderful scent...!!! Different, mysterious, strong yet cosy, fresh'n warm, spicy'n sweet, not easy start but a tremendous wear on! TEN THUMBS UP!!!

12 December, 2008

Heslipsa's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Nice bottle, scent a mix of herbal, citrus and a dot of wood. Lasts a lot and also claims lots of attention.

01st December, 2008

jenson's avatar

India India

One of the best Issey has to offer and the top one for me from this line. This one catches ones attention right from when it lands on skin. Very powdery & to an extent herbal in a very cool way. This one has that unique quality which I have
    seen in only few scents...the way this surrounds/engulfs the wearer. The other scent which created this domain for me was L'Instant. The peppery zing along with exotic florals and dash of spices leads you into a beautiful woodsy accord which forms the heart of this scent...the interplay is just plain amazing. The best part isn’t over yet, it has to offer one of best ambery, woody mossy drydowns ever, making you feel totally refreshed for another round. A classic somehow underplayed and ignored on BN.

03 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 October, 2009)

HORACIO GONZÁLEZ's avatar

Argentina Argentina

oh my God, was my first reaction, it brought to my mind those days of drawing and painting, when i was a painting artist, it´s true remembered also NEW WEST aramis. excellent fragrance!

26 September, 2008

fragranceluvr's avatar

I really do like this one. It is somewhat complex. It has a piney-herbaceous overtone that stays throughout the cologne's lifespan; then there is a soft powdery undertone which softens the pine and herbs. The powdery undertone hints at iris even though there is no mention in the notes pyramid but that is how it comes across to me. Anyone can wear this for any occasion, day or night. I have to admit it is different but worth a try.

17 September, 2008

deadhacker's avatar

I personally love this one, the basenotes are where it shines the most though.
    The Topnotes are kinda weird. It has this thing that it does which pisses me off
    though, it changes on my skin according to the weather(summer does this good).
    Plus don't over apply this one, It's kinda strong. But other then that go for it.

10th September, 2008