Reviews of Frangipani Absolute by Ormonde Jayne

Find out more about Frangipani Absolute by Ormonde Jayne in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Frangipani Absolute is a sweet, tropical floral scent abundantly spiked with citrusy aldehydes, and based on a sandalwood and creamy coconut that call to mind Dominique Ropion’s tuberose blockbuster for Frederic Malle. The resemblance becomes more literal as a clear tuberose emerges from Frangipani’s floral accord. Frangipani Absolute remains the brighter, sweeter scent, with a lingering citrus note where Carnal Flower has a dry, edgy green component. The coconut is also more prominent in Frangipani, which has the unfortunate effect of conjuring suntan lotion. There’s plenty of sillage, though not so much as in the Malle, so if you’re looking for something a little more reserved in the exotic tropical flower genre Frangipani Absolute might appeal. Oddly for being a quieter scent, Frangipani Absolute misses the ethereal, otherworldly quality that so distinguishes Carnal Flower. Again I fear it is the slightly out-of-balance coconut, along with the sweet fruit, that keeps Ormonde Jayne’s offering earthbound. Nice, but perhaps unnecessary.

14 June, 2014

Fleurine's avatar

From the other reviews, I was expecting this to be very sweet and vanilla-y, but when I tried it, I got a huge hit of citrus as the operner so that was a surprise! This fragrance is another winner from OJ, to me at least. The frangipani note is front and center (not that I am so familiar with the flower) and I love how this fragrance brings in so much feminine floral fun in without seeming the tiniest bit old fashioned or cloying. The fragrance slowly evolves into a warm creamy white pillow.

Edit: The more I wear this, the more enormous I find the frangipani note to be...FA does for frangipani what Une Rose by Malle does for rose, it makes it incredibly huge. I'm tempted to say that if you like the ginormism of Diorissimo, or other white flower soliflores, chances are you will like this.

24 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2012)

Benj's avatar

Ok, I should preface this by saying I have never smelled frangipani.

I like interesting florals, but this is a massive, sweet floral. It starts off tempered by a lovely lime and something peppery and quite exciting but the heart is a huge tuberose, jasmine and, of course, frangipani beast that starts smelling suspiciously like bread and butter pudding and custard around an hour in. The first half hour is very nice, but it just gets too stodgy and too sweet for my taste.

16 January, 2011

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Now this is a really good frangipani scent in my humble opinion ! It smells just like frangipani - the living flower.It's got the bit of pollen going on ,a touch of flowery spice of a fresh flower,the delicate yet quite distinctive aroma. Fab. I do love this one. Well done OJ !

05 July, 2010

pansylady's avatar

A very soft, feminine and light fragrance- maybe a little too light- it only lasted about two or three hours, and sillage was low- also, it seemed more soliflore than floral/fruity, and this was a bit disappointing, given the interesting menu of notes...

12 August, 2009

ubuandibeme's avatar

Purplebird7 says it perfectly ~ "Riot of sweetflowers..." so true! Frangipani Absolute is an intricate blend that comes off with a soapy freshness, reminiscent of Antonia's Flowers namesake fragrance. Antonia's Flowers is tauted as a "living freesia" scent, but I think it possesses the same character as this Ormonde Jayne Frangipani rendition! Floral lovers NEED to sample this gorgeous bouquet ~ it is a riot of sweetflowers, and I love it!

09 May, 2009

purplebird7's avatar

Riot of sweet flowers made lifelike by an interesting, persistent lime-linden accord, and maybe a touch of pepper. Very floral, but a little different somehow.

18 July, 2008

absynthium's avatar

i really love this fragrance maybe because it reminds me about my homeland ,when i was little every year my granfather cultivated these beautiful flowers and this perfume really has the power to brings me back those beautiful years of childhood,even my mother choose this flower for her wedding bouquet so i love it more and more

22 February, 2006

Ayala's avatar

A light and much less creamy interpretation of the magical tropical paradise flower.
    Starts with a breath of citrus and with linden blossom which quickly gives away to the green-waxy scent of the pure frangipani absolute. It does have some hints of the fresh flower - but they are quite subtle.
    There are some water lilies at the heart which makes it light and modern as well as jasmine which adds some richness and depth - but it never quite gets very creamy. It is rather a light and quite heady floral - but the type of heady floral that those who are scared of heady florals will like or at least be able to tolerate (like me...).
    Definitely worth a try!
    I think it will be especially great for the summer - a light floral that is interesting and not cloying.

Top notes: Linden Blossom, Magnolia Flower, Lime Peel
    Heart notes: White Frangipani Absolute, Jasmine, Rose absolute, Tuberose absolute,
    Water Lily, Plum, Green Orchid oil