Negative Reviews of Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

Unfortunately the cherry / almond goes wonky and smells of mothballs and playdough on my skin.
15th September, 2017
Smells like cherry cough syrup, mothballs, almond candy and some sort of old fashioned perfume thing I've smelled in other perfumes but don't know the name for...
I hate it, which is good because it's too expensive for me anyway.

fades into tobacco and resin (and nasty cherry cough syrup) after 20 min on oily hot skin- wish it would both start and end this way
23rd October, 2011
BayKAT Show all reviews
I asked for a sample of this becaues Lucky Scent rated it so highly (as a cult favorite). Note to readers: trust perfume boards like this first. This was just a stinker for me, sorry, can't think of a more eloquent way to state it. It goes from nasty harsh, to playdough, to out-dated bottle of vanilla in the spice cabinet.
27th February, 2010

Vive la difference! I'm all for (some) fragrances smelling like Play-Doh. It's a pleasant and evocative odor -- why shouldn't it be in the perfumery repertoire?

Luctor et Emergo opens with a cherry cordial fanfare with a strong undercurrent of spices. I had some trouble identifying specific spices, but clove is definitely in there, perhaps along with cinnamon. It does indeed smell like Play-Doh, and the benzoin note is extremely strong, as lizzie_j notes. The tobacco comes and goes for me, but it's definitely there.

I was enjoying this fragrance until about half an hour in, when I happened to take a direct whiff a couple of inches above the skin and got a nearly perfect rendition of urinal cakes with generous lashings of urine to go with them. The clove and benzoin give the camphoraceous "disinfectant tablet" accord. I think what I'm perceiving as urine may be the smells that others have identified as "old books" or "library". It's the concentrated waft from a toddler's soggy, hour-old diaper.

The composition does smell better from a bit of a distance, but it's hard to stop smelling urine, and a couple of hours in I'm starting to feel nauseated despite a relatively light application. Part of that is probably due to the sickly-sweetness of benzoin.

I have to give this a thumbs down based on my own experience, but I don't know how much of that is specific to my skin. I can see why some people would like this.
03rd November, 2009
I WISH I could get mostly Play-Doh out of this fragrance. Alas, and maybe because I work in a hospital, all I can smell is the benzoin drenched cotton bandages that we use to pack penetrating wounds and drained abscesses! I have tried it many times, hoping to get a whiff of whatever inspires the fanatical cult following this fragrance enjoys, but to no avail. Over time, the bandage smell becomes a little less prominent, and I once briefly enjoyed hints of Play-Doh, cherry and almond, but that's as far as it ever went. In just a few minutes POOF! the pleasing notes were gone, and it was back to the hospital for me. No thanks.
09th June, 2008
For some reason, Luctor et Emergo generates feelings of near hysteria on certain fragrance blogs/boards so it was with a bit of trepidation that I reached for it at Aedes in NYC to try. I had no idea what to expect and upon spraying, was shocked that Luctor et Emergo is basically a girlish almond and cherry blossom scent. It was pleasant enough (I would take this over the intense Pierre Frapin fragrances any day) but I am still puzzled that a grown women would want to smell like this. Maybe for some people, Luctor et Emergo conjures up happier days of eating grandma's homemade cherry pie. Maybe it is the gratuitously weird name that bears no relation to the actual scent. Maybe it is the peculiar beaker bottles that draw one to POTL in general. In any event, Luctor et Emergo was a bit like the "Emperor with no clothes on" to me. Not much there once all was revealed.

From what I've been able to glean online, here are Luctor et Emergo's notes: sweet incense, vanilla, woods, cherry, almonds, marzipan, fresh grasses and white florals.
05th June, 2008 (last edited: 19th June, 2008)
I’m giving away my age but I have no idea what play dough smells like, so I can’t attest to that comparison. I do know what Luctor et Emergo smells like, though, and I find it hardly worth knowing. This is just a powerful, cheap smelling, fruity / almondy … I can’t say “mess” because it isn’t that – it’s quite acceptably structured, purposely balanced … monstrosity? No, it’s not that bad… gourmand! That’s it! …powerful, cheap smelling, fruity / almondy gourmand. There’s something about it that is totally off-putting in its gross sweet, fruity, marzipan way. It’s too vanillany It’s too … It’s too HERE! …Have to wash it off now – it has given me a headache.
14th March, 2008
Quarry Show all reviews
This is Play-doh into which someone has dripped a few drops amber and incense oils.
17th October, 2007
it is very much like play doh

sorry, I'm grown up!
04th August, 2006
Fake cherry scented highway rest-stop lavatory cleaner. In a cost-benefit equation this is below in Angel territory on my skin.
08th February, 2006
Just dreadful. I put it on, it smelled like Play-Doh.. waited hopefully for the drydown; it still smelled like Play-Doh, only it induced a hellish headache. The most over-rated scent I've come across recently.
17th October, 2005
A heady mixture of florals and sweet vanilla that rreminds me of cheap, synthetic vanilla essence you can buy at the supermarket for muffins etc. Quite disappointed at the lack of development.
29th September, 2005