Reviews of Purple Water by Asprey

Find out more about Purple Water by Asprey in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

wheelspinner's avatar

On initial application, Purple Water smells exactly like the lemon-scented washing powder I use in the laundry. After a couple of hours, the scent is a powerful musk that overwhelms everything else. I can't smell any ginger or basil notes at all. It scores well for longevity, but that's actually a drawback in this case.

07 January, 2013

Sassafras's avatar

What the heck am I missing here??

I get nothing except a weak lemonade top and a light woody drydown, all of which is totally gone in less than 10 minutes.

This is a quality upper-class cologne? I don't think so...

I must have been duped into buying a knock off or something, because what's in the bottle I have, isn't worth 2 cernts.

Lackluster and boring sum it up.

17 August, 2012

sinodor's avatar

This unexpected find has proven my most pleasant olfactory surprise! I admittedly had never heard of the Asprey name, but one sniff of this wonderful soft and powdery citrus gem and I was hooked. Of all the fragrances I own, or have sampled, no fragrance better interweaves and melds with the balmy atmosphere of Miami. Layer it with Acqua di Parma Colonia and...it's magical. In my eyes (and nose), this fragrance truly is the sleeper of all sleepers. Just lay back and enjoy. A lemon sunshine-scented TWO THUMBS UP!

21st December, 2010

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Cheap synthetic citrus/floral/musk/musk/musk.

25 September, 2010

Bartlebooth's avatar

Purple Water is a dainty, single ply citrus, bedecked with as much pretension as Asprey can muster.

Should you be dressed as a dandy and feel the need to cover your face with a moistened handkerchief, this might be perfect. Aside from being an effective defence against malodorous peasants, this is a fairly lacklustre fragrance for general use. By no means a bad product, but surpassed by countless fragrances of its type

16 September, 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar

I definitley get the Pledge out of this, but it's not so bad. This is by far one the zestiest lemon fragrances I've ever owned, but before the lemon gets so dominant, it reminds me a lot of L'eau d'Issey. Once the zesty lemon dies down it becomes more of a synthetic candy lemon, like lemonheads candies. In comes a big fat orange blossom note as it moves into the middle which is about 15-20 minutes after initial application. The combination of the lemons and orange blossoms go together very smoothly. As if a lemon banged an orange blossom, their offspring would be the beginning of the heart notes of Purple Water. I also get the clear smell of an actual water note in middle, like a very pure spring water. I also get some violet and lavender notes out of the middle, which isn't listed in the note pyramid; but to me, those 2 notes would definitley make a fragrance "purple". As the middle fades, it becomes more soapy and floral before it takes on a vetiver and slightly musky base. I also get a grape accord that weaves in and out. The middle and base are more feminine than the opening. Projection is better in the opening, then anywhere from 4-6 inches from the skin in the middle, then just dies down more and more with time as many fragrances do. Longevity is about 5 hours for me on a good day.

Not bad at all, Zesty opening with high hopes of a more thorough lemon fragrance; that ends up being a completely different middle and base than the opening. I like the middle and base more and more though as I wear it more, it's actually a thing of beauty. Definitely tricked me though, not what I was expecting.

Is it worth the price though? This stuff is pretty expensive, usually around 70 bucks for 1.7 oz.but I have seen this online from 30-40. Even if I wasn't on a budget with my fragrances, I wouldn't pay such. It is a good smelling fragrance, that seems pretty high quality, but it just doesn't do enough for me to wanna pay that much. I would buy this for sure though if it were under 20 bucks. It's different than most of the stuff I own, and just brings a smile to my face.

07 August, 2010

bokaba's avatar

One of decent nouveau type eau de colognes on the market. Once rare and expensive, it now is quite affordable for a full sized bottle. The opening is synthetic and dominated by the purple flower Freesia. The base is your basic laundry detergent.

22 March, 2010

AnimaSola's avatar

I would wear this if I lived in England and had no idea what fragrance to wear to Sunday church service.

29 November, 2009

decillisjl's avatar

yes... out of the bottle it is pledge or any other industrial strength cleaner, but wait.... it might take a few minutes, but wait... go fold some laundry, check your email, take your dinner out of the oven... now take a DEEP whiff and call your mom because she loves you and misses you. This is a scrubber for the first few minutes, and then turns into something quite sublime, even gorgeous. The top is a synthetic chemical lemon mess, but it only takes a few minutes to turn this ugly duckling into a swan... The floral jacaranda note quickly pulls the cacophanous opening into a serene canoe ride through a glorious indolic white foamy dream. This is definately not a winter scent, nor is it a "I'm going to the club and I'm going to score" sillage bomb. The heart is a succulent and juicy soft citrus parade mixed with orange blossom playing the part of the drum major, while behind marches droves of carnation, lily of the valley, honeysuckle (yes I finally found my chevrefeuille), and lemon blossom, with grapefruit following behind playing a high tempo snare. At the end of the parade, once you think everything is over and people are packing up and ready to go home, a very simple soft vetiver is left standing on the side of the road wishing he had the chance to march with the band. The orange blossom, seeing the vetiver standing all alone, returns to keep company, and the two of them stare off in the distance until the sun sets... Anybody that judges this offering based on the opening act is really missing the headliner.

15 June, 2009

vcw's avatar

Pledge (but to me in the bad way), plus citronella candle, and 8% DEET thrown in. Will pass on this one.

29 January, 2009

sumitav's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Ok. Reminiscent of my grandmothers 4711 Ice cologne........ Makes me nostalgic.

10th November, 2008

moreda's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

this is the strongest and most concentrated cologne ever.
    A concentration of more than 20%.... it contains just 70% alcohol.
    this is even more concentrated than most EDT's.

20th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2009)

Heartwood's avatar

Lemon scented Pledge furniture polish, but in a good way. Lemony floral, very fresh and clean, yet it still smells purple. Kinda of like those fruit-colored hard, sour candies you used to get from the gumball machines. It's not grape, just ... purple. I don't understand it, but I like it well enough. Might prefer it as a room freshener, however.

23 August, 2008

kewart's avatar

This is a wonderful, summer scent with all the attributes of a perfect
    eau de cologne. The top notes are zesty and clean, Jacaranda being one of them.
    I haven't smelled a Jacaranda bush, but hope to soon to see how the scent compares
    with it. These notes and are soon joined by the basil, white ginger and orange blossom -
    a combination I really love. Good lasting quality right down to the musky, peppery base.
    The bottle is very classy and refined in an understated way. The cap can be adapted to either a spray or a splash -
    a very clever inovation I haven't seen before.
    Not sure how pricey this is - I won mine in a Basenotes competition! I would guess that it's quite high end.

23 July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

An excellent citrus and grapefruit that lasts. Not as sour as Be Delicious Men but if you love Be Delicious but are saddened by its lack of staying power then get Purple Water. I can also say it a good alternative to Creed's Neroli Sauvage but Purple Water not as metallic and ZING!y.

01st July, 2008

bront82's avatar

Quite pretty really ... clean and expensive smelling. To me, this smells exactly like the toiletry tray in the marble bathroom of a 5-star hotel. It smells a bit like a fine soap wrapped in tissue paper. Hard to go wrong with this one, huh?

04 May, 2008

jdnba's avatar

like this stuff a lot...very citrusy. It starts out very feminine but dries into an upscale barbershop frag akin to truefitt and hill lime.

27 December, 2007

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Grape quarter water. ha.
    Good scent for a female, cause it's not too flowery or powdery, just sweet.

20th November, 2007

Atlanta1's avatar

I tried this one on at a Nordstrom's here in Atlanta on a warm, humid day in the 80's. Quickly, the fragrance seemed to take off on my skin and I felt enveloped in a subtle, yet delicious blanket of a purple haze of florality and fresh fruit. I loved it; however, its eau de cologne strength wasn't sufficient to please me beyond a mere 3 hours or so. Perhaps if it were in an EDT variation I would be more tempted to buy it. But, boy is it a winner for me otherwise!

25 July, 2007

Tovah's avatar

Purple Water is a fabulous fragrance for refreshing the mind and spirit on a very hot day. It's mostly a soft floral, and the notes I detect are blossoms of citrus trees,(lemon and orange), white ginger, and aromas of the sharp, bright juices of lemon and orange fruit. Purple Water has a note of the purest, most true-to-life Lemon Blossom that I've encountered thus far in a fragrance. My dwarf lemon tree happens to be in bloom today, so I sniffed it to make sure the comparison isn't just wishful thinking. (It's not). Jacaranda flowers are a vivid lilac purple. They grow everywhere around here, and their scent carried on a breeze is zesty and linen-like. I haven't yet stuck my nose into a blossom, so this scent association may be inaccurate. The jacarandas aren't in bloom yet, or I'd have climbed up one today to smell the flowers. Purple Water is extremely clean; neither sweet nor sour. I've worn it all day and it still smells fresh and outdoorsy. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if the price was reasonable, but this fragrance isn't complex enough, or unusual enough, to seduce me into spending $75.00 on a 1.7 oz. edt.

14 March, 2007

phibess's avatar

I got a small sprayer of this juice and whoa..smells like another cheap drugstore citrus frag to my nose, rather bland and one-dimensional, in fact, it reminds me of one of those citrus air refreshers or washing up liquids. After about 10-15 minutes the orange starts to appear but the lemon is still too dominant. def. lacks originality imo.

05 October, 2006

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Purple Water by Asprey is, evidently, so very exclusive, it isn't even reviewed. I just happen to know someone whose friend's cousin is married to a person who works in side BP (That's what us Insiders call Buckingham Palace, or Betties Pad, haha) and got access, if you know what I mean. So, here's the scoop. This fragrance is very aristocratic, in that it doesn't care - whether it's supposed to suit a man or a woman, whether it isn't too propostorously expensive for being nothing but a nice little cologne. It's made for people who do not even notice spending 60 quid and for whom this will never be more than a beauty accessoire not even worth mentioning, just as their Asprey watch or their Asprey teawarmer. Purple water will clearly not be a hit among US college frat boys (too feminine) or the Paris Hiltons of this world (not gaudy enough). A lot of people will think it smells like their stepmother - somehow oldfashioned. It's for ladies, dandies and gentlemen beyond all that gender claptrap. Oscar Wilde would have been amused and I think he would have worn Purple Water with pleasure. Another artists that comes to mind smelling this is Morrissey. As stated, it's really just a nice, fresh cologne and the light, refreshing citrus components are the most evident part of this composition. The twist is in the unique "purplish" smell - is it the jacaranda, indeed, perhaps with the basil? Restrained ginger sweetness blends in and we close on a whispering drydown with just hints of musk and pepper, no vetiver to speak of. The bottle is of a matching elegant simplicity. Understatement is the message here. Well, enough talk, do just hop into your MG convertible, while the weather still permits and try this while summer lasts. Just don't ever talk about it, that would give you away as an impostor...

21st August, 2006