Neutral Reviews of Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

Find out more about Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

voodoodanny's avatar
    voodoodanny

What the hell just happened to my nose!?

It's like someone fired a curried crème brûlée at my face for standing too close to their cedar/lavender bonfire: I admire his boldness but I'm still not too sure how happy I am about receiving such a bizarre and pungent faceful.

I'm trying so hard to like it...

17 December, 2012

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Being myself an Immortelle freak I expected to dig Eau Noir but, unfortunately, that didn't happen. Where Sables pushes to the very limit the boldness of Helichrysum by introducing a massive dose of amber, Eau Noir focuses on its gourmandic/syrupy aspect adding a liqorice effect and a strong vanilla base that bring this composition towards a cloying territory that's very far from my taste. The remarkable lavender note experienced during the opening it's too volatile to properly balance the fragrance sweet heaviness while the general syrupy vibe leans somewhere between the coca-cola effect and sweetened stale coffee.

When I'm looking for a Helichrysum based composition I go for Sables, 1740 and Fareb. A semi-disappointment.

11th November, 2011

alexbiteme13's avatar
    alexbiteme13
    Greece Greece

Syrupy, sweet, spicy, smoky,with a bit of wood in the backgound and very very intense. I get why some people love this fragrance but I don't want to smell like this for more than 5 minutes. Impressive but definitely not for me.

21st May, 2011

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar
    Oh_Hedgehog

The sweetly aromatic Eau Noire smells like Caron's Pour un Homme with a massive helping of immortelle placed between the lavender and vanilla. The immortelle boasts of maple syrup, curry powder, and an inescapable (eponymous?) liquorice dimension, and Eau Noire continues in this steady way for many hours. It's not something I'd wear as I don't enjoy the burnt sugar weirdness of immortelle, but I can appreciate the artistry here nonetheless.

11th April, 2011

alberto's avatar
    alberto

I have many plants of helichrysum (or immortelle) in my garden and I really love its smell. The “guru” Luca Turin decribes its scent «odd, fenugreek-like... halfway between curry and burnt sugar». I always read great things obout Eau Noire and I know that maybe it’s one of the best fragrances based on this note. I also know that EN is beloved by many perfume fanatics. Unfortunately, after several tests, I have to admit that I can’t like it. In fact, I finally realized that it’s too strong, too intense, rather overwelming on my skin. (I had the same experience with other helichrysum-based perfumes, e.g. Annick Goutal Sables, Guerlain Cologne du 68, Histoires de Parfums 1740-Marquis de sade). I still love the natural, summer, mediterranean smell of Immortelle, but I am more and more convinced that is a scent very difficult to wear.

03 July, 2010

vadim's avatar
    vadim
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

A nice blast of spices followed by a drydown that is too sweet, warm and powdery. Fine and safe, but not a revelation.

03 October, 2006