Reviews

Neutral Reviews of Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Genre: Citrus

Light, bright and fruity, with little projection and no lasting power. The concept is great and the fleeting top notes are endearing, but it's all gone after fifteen minutes.

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier have explored the same territory more successfully with their recent Bahiana, which has all of the depth, complexity, and lasting power lacking in Ananas Fizz, while remaining just as bright and effervescent.
10th June, 2014
I feel like they tried to cut down the sweetness of the pineapple note by overloading the thing with synthetic woods. Result: a fruit note that loses its juicy quality and thus appeal, and then a flat woody base that carries a sour pineapple tinge.

Interesting, but not entirely pleasant.
23rd August, 2010
I got two sample vials of Ananas Fizz, and testing it has surely been one of the oddest experiences I've had with a new fragrance. I've got to admit that it was fun putting it on. In the privacy of my own home, I poured the entire vial over my forearms, shoulders, throat, and breasts. This excess was the result of my often being unable to smell many L'Artisan frags after 90 seconds from application. The fruit-loopy top notes (which aren't really pineapple and don't fool this Honolulu native) are anything but natural, but there's a weird cheap thrills quality about it. No, it's not in the least like pouring pineapple juice all over yourself. (Aloha!) It lacks the biting but extremely sweet edginess of the real thing. It doesn't smell like any real grapefruit either. Only the French, who brought the concept of the simulacrum into postmodern discourse, could create this apotheosis of complete artificiality.

After three minutes or so--was I hallucinating?--the scent seemed to explode (yes!) with a loud blast of something I had no words to describe, even though it caused me to choke violently. Although there was something vaguely recognizable about it, I was hard pressed to analyze what it smelled like until I was teaching the next day. One of my students had a little can of one of those ghastly "energy drinks" of which undergraduates consume massive quantities in spite of the fact that they taste like nothing nature ever created. Yes! That was it! It smelled like Red Bull or whatever it is tastes! Ach! Fortunately, this moment passed quickly and the fragrance died down into an interesting powdery fruity scent, peculiar but hardly unpleasant. In a little over a hour it disappeared altogether.

I would say that it felt, all in all, like an ephemeral cheap thrill--only L'Artisan fragrances are never cheap. I can imagine that my undergraduates might like it, and I'd certainly prefer smelling Ananas Fizz than Paris Hilton Ineducable or some such in the classroom any day. I suspect, though, that something as French, eccentric, upscale, and thoroughly postmodern as AF would appeal more to the intellectually curious than to the average sorority girl. Even so, better on them than on their fifty-something professor. I might just put the second sample vial in my briefcase and let them have some fun with it before the class begins. After the midterms, I need some amusement. In the meantime, I'll look to Dole for pineapple.
31st May, 2010
I love the scent of pineapple, so I thought Ananas Fizz to be worth a try. The opening gives the impression of a fizzy pineapple cocktail, but fades and what remains is rum-tinged cedar. Cedar becomes dominant to my nose, and I feel a bit disappointed to have been transported from the beach to the cedar chest! It strikes me as an odd direction for the fragrance to evolve. Interesting, but not something I would wear.
16th April, 2008
This parfum comes off as a combination of a citrus scented furniture dusting product by Pledge and 1970's fizzy candies called Zot's. Unique for a fragrance, but not my personality at all.
12th July, 2007
Fresh, tangy pineapple, some sweet lemonade or orangeade, and a lovely touch of cedar. The top notes are delicious, fruity, and (yes) fizzy. Not very long-lasting, but fun and enjoyable.
08th March, 2007
Quarry Show all reviews
Very pleasant. It's not too sweet, not too bright nor too sharp. For a juicy scent, it bears a mark of quality. I just don't think I want to smell like I spilled pineapple juice on myself. If I had a decant, I'd experiment to see if AF would layer well with a floral. Hmmmm.
27th October, 2006
First sniff of the sample is slightly ananas-y, but not much. Copy on the card says "exotic cocktail"...yeah, kind of. More alcohol than fragrance. It's light and refreshing but lasts approximately three minutes and forget sillage. NOT memorable.
25th October, 2006
On me it's pure sugar. Very, very sweet. I also had problems with longevity. Lasted about 3 hours. I would have to say it's more of a feminine scent than most of the L'artisan fragrances.
19th October, 2005