Neutral Reviews of Bois et Fruits by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Find out more about Bois et Fruits by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

cello's avatar

Bois et Fruits certainly bears resemblance to Mother Bois, Feminite du Bois - mostly in the familiar cedar note blend. But where I find FdB's plum note to be over ripe but juicy, the fruits in Bois et Fruits seem dusty and dry, flat and stale. This is certainly not a knock on this fragrance, but it did not meet my expectations, and I would not enjoy wearing this dry, muddled fruit over a pleasant cedar note on too many days.

13th February, 2012

Doctor Mod's avatar

I was quite excited a few months ago when I read that many of the Serge Lutens "bell jar" fragrances were going to offered in the US for a limited time in the standard Lutens containers. Unfortunately, the one that I'd most like to purchase, Bois Oriental, isn't one of them. So I tried what I thought would be the next best thing: Bois et Fruits, which has left me feeling quite underwhelmed.

I have now tested it several times, hoping for some breakthrough, perhaps, but the results are always the same: a nice but less than energetic cedar base and some strange substance that doesn't come off as fruity to my nose--unless the fruit is of the wax variety.

Actually, Bois et Fruits reminds me very much of the original Shisedo Feminité du Bois, about which I feel much the same as I do about this fragrance. Beeswax was among the listed notes for the vintage Feminité, and I'm quite sure that was what I found so off-putting about it. It isn't listed for Bois et Fruits, but I smell something waxy that is neither fresh nor (to my mind) attractive. The sillage is decent if less than spectacular while it lasts--and it only lasted for about an hour, perhaps two, in my tests.

I appreciate and respect the reviewers who have drastically different perceptions of this scent, but that isn't how it works on my skin. I really did want to like this one, but Arabie and Ambre Sultan fill this niche much better for me.

12th September, 2010