Reviews of Alien by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about Alien by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Shifty Bat's avatar

It's just a cheaper regurgitation and intentionally weird repackaging of Hypnotic Poison, devoid of any of its richness, class, and easy suavity- like Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga trying to recreate classic Madonna with added shock appeal. It would be pleasant if the sweetness didn't make the construction so opaque.

If you want to like Alien and Hypnotic Poison but feel they're not quite for you try tracking down a sample of Deep Night by Ghost.

04 August, 2014

Infini's avatar

Wales Wales

Something I've found with most Mugler perfumes is that when I first try them, they are something completely new and different. However, once I have worn them a few times, and I'm used to them, they lose their novelty, and I find them too sweet, too gourmand and too strong. This is exactly what happened with Alien: I loved it at first, but now, I'm afraid I find it a rather loud and brash scent, which shouts overly sweet vanilla and jasmine. Less than halfway through my one and only bottle of Alien, I really had had enough of it. Definitely not a perfume I would ever want again.

31st July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral Oriental

Notes: Sambac jasmine, Cashmeran, “solar note,” white amber.

The idea here is kind of fun: take a familiar, even ubiquitous, fragrance ingredient - like jasmine - and amp it up so high it starts to smell strange, jarring, or even…alien. Alien’s jasmine is so intense, so overflowing with indolic decadence, that it no longer smells remotely like a flower. While I find it interesting, I’m not at all sure it’s wearable, or even particularly pleasant. In its sheer overindulgence, its monstrous scale, and its hair-raising volume, Alien can feel more like a stunt than a perfume. For all of its weight, it also smells a little bit bare, like a large house with insufficient architectural detail for its bulk.

Alien’s predecessor, Angel, was a stunt of sorts, but it generated a fascinating internal tension by juxtaposing accords which by all rights ought to have been incompatible. Alien, in contrast, is monolithic, its entire structure devoted to supporting the elephantine jasmine. In this regard it is a degree less clever, and at Alien’s outlandish proportions, any deficit in wit can render a fragrance fatally vulgar. That said, Alien comes within a hair’s breadth of being truly great.

The balance hangs upon the drydown. Even without Angel’s clever internal contradictions, Aliens’s jasmine from another planet might have amounted to brilliance were the drydown suitably dramatic or transcendent. With a surprise ending – say a plush, animalic leather, or even the indulgent luxury of creamy sandalwood and musk that Dominique Ropion supplied for his same year’s Carnal Flower, I’d count Alien a work of genius. As it is, Alien’s unadventurous artificial wood (Cashmeran) and laundry detergent musk base notes are a letdown, and any sense of anticipation deflates upon their arrival. The base notes, while commonplace, play at the same extraordinary volume as everything that’s come before, with the unfortunate result that the drydown displays all the charm of the Oscar Meyer ditty played by the Berlin Philharmonic brass section. Too bad – it came so close…

08 June, 2014

HickorySmoke420's avatar

While testing frags I stumbled across Alien after loading up several dozen cards and smelling them blindly while at a red light. I was very into the floral scent of it. I returned the next day with the card to purchase it and gave it a test...wow this scent is STRONG and incredibly long lasting! I actually almost don't like it before the dry down it's almost too much. However after the dry down tames it just enough to the point I can't get enough of it. I wish my wife liked it as much as I do. I ask her to were it on special occasions and out to a nice restaurant/bar.

I prefer this scent with dry cool weather. People ask or compliment more times than not when out for an evening.

15 February, 2014

's avatar

Sweet and exotic. I LOVE this fragrance.

The best feature of this perfume is its wonderfully intoxicating vanilla and jasmine scents that last and last. A little goes a long way. Well worth the price. Love that you can refill at department stores like macy's for less!

13 October, 2013

Brooke's avatar

I bought Alien on a whim, in Duty-free, only because what I'd read was so positive. At first spray, the impression was a cloying, dissonant, chemical disaster. Once I left the duty-free area, however, heading back to the lounge to await my flight, the first impact of the fragrance hit me. Abstract. Powerful. Something I wanted to "get to know better" or try in vain to "understand". The first inkling of attraction - that quality that mystifies and draws you in.
    It's been a week now, which I feel is enough time to weigh in on my experience with Alien. And I admit it - I'm in love.
    To me, Alien embodies EVERYTHING that a true WOMAN should be - the sparkling jasmine opening is unabashedly feminine, confident and strong (a warning is befitting here - a small amount goes a long way - one spray is usually all you need!) the sheer and magical essence of solar accord and amber, the green-metallic je ne sais quois- make her seem mysterious, aloof, and cool - classic qualities of an attractive woman. At the same time, the balmy/woodsy vanilla drydown with just the slightest hint of musk make her warm, inviting, almost approachable? And the overall impression is downright BEAUTIFUL. Perfect for a confident, original and classy woman who discriminates in life and love.

22 March, 2013

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

A candied floral entity that projects a luminous holographic jasmine for the first 15-20 minutes before it runs out of power. The jasmine sambac is indeed glorious but the supporting ambery accord is toothache personified. Best to smell ALIEN from a distance where you catch whiffs of laundered, indole-free white florals.

The bottle is something else though - like an object from another universe, it's sci-fi geek's wet dream. I see guys buying this purely for the bottle alone.

20th March, 2013

Claire811's avatar

Beautiful jasmine and sweet amber, this fragrance is absolutely feminine and sexy. Very long lasting. If you love jasmine this is a must have. Gets a lot of compliments but, remember, just one spray, not more. I love it.

14 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2012)

perfumebox's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Glorious space-Jasmine. I swear it smells like it’s glowing.
    Aside from the fact that I've had more compliments (from both sexes) with this scent than any other in my sizeable collection, I like the straightforward scent structure and how it shows off the richly faceted sambac jasmine to perfection.

If your skin seems to amplify the amber and the fruity aspect of the sambac jasmine a bit too much (i.e. you smell candy and nothing but candy) you should check out the Eau de Toilette version, which isn't just a diluted version of the EDP. It's a different formulation with a slightly more complex structure while still being recognizably Alien.

14 November, 2012

Jeszra's avatar

On paper it was a lovely jasmine opening with the rest being jasmine behind a candy haze. On my skin it's mostly just the candy haze.

24 October, 2012

antiqueRose's avatar

I keep trying to leave reviews of this but no luck. Anyway, first of all the bottle is beautiful, despite the penguin comments, its like holding a precious jewel in your hand. Initial impact after a spray, is WOW beautiful jasmine and pure black pepper, to my nose. After awhile it is still strongly jasmine and the wood and amber, and later still even more beautiful jasmine and oudh. The fragrance is like a mysterious alchemy, like night and day combining and creating an alternative reality... It is an exquisite meeting of opposites, the sweetness contrasting with masculine black pepper, heady jasmine combined with grounding oudh wood. Don't stop making this, Mr Mugler, please, and don't change the formula!! Ever since I received this as a gift, I have worn no other scent (and I have a lot : ])

16 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 September, 2012)

rbaker's avatar

Really a nice fragrance with the sambac and jasmine giving it a floral note. The wood sets in later and the amber together with the floral side makes it too sweet for my taste, but it is an interesting scent, although not spectacular.

10th September, 2012

Francolino's avatar

sickly sweet ultraviolet woman

30th August, 2012

drseid's avatar

Alien opens with a blast of white floral jasmine with an almost oud-like undertone that melds with the florals extremely well. The jasmine and oud-like woody notes at the heart are sweetened by amber in the base... and that is pretty much it. The scent is extremely minimalist and linear and what you get up top remains throughout. Projection is very good and longevity is above average.

Alien is a pretty simplistic composition, but it just plain "works". The jasmine white florals definitely are the star of the scent with the woody oud-like accord and the sweet amber used strictly for support. Ropion being one of the parfumiers on the scent does not surprise me, as the florals have his name written all over them, while underneath the florals that sweet base that Mugler frequently features shows Alien's pedigree. On the whole Alien smells quite good and I definitely recommend it, but this one will most likely smell best on the ladies (not to say men *couldn't* wear it). Alien earns a well-deserved very good to excellent 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5.

28 August, 2012

purplebird7's avatar

I wanted to be blown away by this. With a name like Alien and a bottle like Star Wars Clone Wars, it ought to be over-the-top-weird, right? Otherworldly? Artificial? As it turns out, I had to settle for only the last of those three adjectives.

At first, I got excited by what promised to be a vinyl note, but it failed to develop. After that, something screechy and metallic wound its way through the entire fragrance, but it never fully distinguished itself as a note, per se. The "jasmine" certainly smelled artificial, but it fell far short of the impressively odd, green, powdery, plastic flowers of Kenzo Flower. Now, those truly were alien. They smelled like flowers straight out of a toy box.

In the middle of this fragrance, I smelled the not-so-weird scent of... a root beer float and a pitcher of berry Kool-aid. Certainly those don't smell strange to anyone raised as a kid in America.

Disappointed I was. Take the bottle, I will. And may the farce be with you.

28 January, 2012

rock-head's avatar

Smelled lovely on the test strip, lovely when I first put it on, then the dry down. Sickeningly sweet artificially flavored caramel and scorched fabric. Total scrubber. I find the bottle garish and pretentious.

16 January, 2012

Eaudelove's avatar

Okay, the thing with Thierry Mugler is that you cannot smell once, and make a judgement. It will almost always be NO! This has happened with EVERYTHING I have tried by him. Suddenly after a while I realize that the fragrance morphs into something else, then hours later, something else...they are warm and always unique. Unending compliments, especially for Alien. My favorite of all, my tip is to spray it on your bra and let it sit overnight if you find it too strong. In the morning if you are not so surprised than this one is not for you. Blessings & Good Smellings!

29 November, 2011

j005279's avatar

I...Love....Thierry Mugler. Everything this house has put out has been quality. Longevity, projection, originality. you name it, this house has it. I can not get enough of this scent. It smells like grape soda, fizz and all. It is one of my favorite clubbing scents. And here is the kicker, I'm a guy. This is as unisex as a fragrance can get, in fact many of TM's fragrances are. My girlfrend loves it on me just as much as her and it gets huge compliments. Guys, dont be afraid to carefully select a womens perfume for yourself. There is nothing wrong with it. They are stronger and it opens the doors to everything. Now there are very few that i would venture to try, they cant be too feminine or floral, but this one is right up my alley for cold weather, nightime wear. So i sprayed givenchy play intense, le male, 1 million, and Alien on papers and had few guys test them out and i asked them which one is the womens perfume. All 4 guys got them wrong. Hmm......? give it a try....everyone.

20th November, 2011

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

So finally I found my Alien! I have always liked it, but I found it a bit too sticky! But now I am the happy owner of the EdT, and that one sings beautiful on my skin!

As Thierry Mugler is environmentally conscious, I am proud to wear all of TM perfumes who works well on my skin!

Thumbs up for Alien EdT from me!

22 October, 2011

oOCherylOo's avatar

It was not love at first spray for me. I got Alien as a Christmas gift and made the mistake of spraying it on in front of the giver and almost choking! It smelled medicinal and overly sweet to me - some sort of Campho-Phenique spilled into Splenda concoction. I slipped away and washed it off as soon as I could.

A few days later as I was doing laundry, the sweater I was wearing on Christmas wafted the most amazing fragrance. Surely this amazing scent didn't come from that foul medicine I had sprayed?!

Alien revisted: Same opening stench as before. But after the dry down, amazing floral and woody notes begin to emerge. After a while on my skin, Alien is intoxicating and heady stuff. Don't flee from this if at first you find it off-putting. Let it mellow on your skin and see what happens. For me it's pure other-worldly magic!

04 September, 2011

odysseusm's avatar

This is strictly an impressionistic note. I haven't tried this on, but I smelled it during conversation with a very attractive woman. It suited her so well, and it was a lovely scent. It seemed warm, deep but not cloying or heavy, and worked well on a warm summer night. Excellent sillage, particularly since this was an outdoor event.

25 August, 2011

LadyDragonFire's avatar

Unfortunately I have to say that I agree with jtd. There is definitely a note in this perfume that distinctly reminds me of artificial sweetener, and I also find it really unpleasant. Plus, I just find this perfume much too heavy and sweet. I actually have pretty much the same opinion of Angel so I'm not sure why I got a sample of this one. I think I just liked the awesome bottle!
    I don't really recommend this one for most people or for general wear.

18 August, 2011

SpiritOfGonzo's avatar

An incredibly sexy fragrance, by far my favourite thing to smell on a woman. Highly recommended.

24 July, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

I've always admired Thierry Mugler's unique sense of style and approach when creating his fragrances and designing the packaging. While a fan of Angel, I wasn't quite sure of what to expect from his other fragrances. It took me a while to test Alien, his second most popular fragrance, for fear of being disappointed.

Well, I certainly was not disappointed. Something urged me to try this on my skin rather than the tester card, and I'm rather glad I did just that.

The initial spray was not at all loud and obtrusive, which was a pleasant surprise because I expected the top notes to be somewhat similiar in strength to Angel.

Alien is quite a deep floral scent, with the jasmine creating a sweet yet powdery-like smell. I like that this fragrance isn't complex and that it succeeds in appealing to a wide audience.

This fragrance has excellent sillage and lasting power. I wore this on a 5 hour train ride and I could still smell Alien wafting around me when I arrived at my destination.

The fragrance is quite versatile. I see Alien as being better suited to colder months and night time wear, however it could adapt well to any season or occasion.

Overall, I consider Alien as being a mysterious, sexy and bold fragrance. This is definitely not a perfume for the shy.

26 April, 2011

alfarom's avatar

To properly appreciate this composition by Dominique Ropion and Laurent Bruyere you don't have to simply like jasmine, you should instead love JASMINE (say it as loud as you can).
    When a new fragrance from Thierry Muglier comes to light, it's always surrounded by big expectations, and lately this expectations have been sadly unsatisfied.
    Alien provides us with all the ingredients we usually expect form Thierry Muglier (juxtapositions, uniqueness, sweetness, pushed to the limits ingredients, weird bottle and advertisement) but it does it in the wrong way. This time Mr Ropion has simply failed. It happens, even to the best perfumeurs.

Overall Alien is a nice scent but remember that the word "nice" can be pronounced in several ways. In this case you should say it without even opening your mouth.

24 April, 2011

jtd's avatar

Sorry. I can only mix metaphors to account for Alien. Its topnotes (approx 2 hours) are like shrieking microphone feedback. The drydown (the remaining 2-3 days) is like snorting artificial sweetener.

20th April, 2011

asilverfire614's avatar

Due to the marketing, name, and bottle design, I expected a very modern and unusual fragrance. Instead, this was a warm, woody, powder scent with a soft jasmine base. Very romantic & sensual. Between Angel & Alien, my husband prefers this one. I prefer Angel. Like Angel, it last for hours and a little goes a long way. I'm glad to have it, but I don't feel like TM's marketing really hit upon the nature of this scent properly.

27 March, 2011

kastehelmi's avatar

I love jasmine, and this one is heavy jasmine. I am aware that not everyone likes jasmine, however. I can't make up my mind whether I like or dislike Alien...One minute I like its attitude and sultriness, the next I'm longing for a fresher scent. Perhaps I would like an EDT instead of EDP....and I might spray this on the inside of my calves instead of my neck...or try Alien lotion.

In the end, I almost can't get enough of it. Sweet!

Update: I've heard some people say this scent smells heavy like cigars or garbage (hahaha), but Alien requires some time and patience (and trust?) to sink into the skin-It becomes very sexy, and the scent is not floral or woody or spicy, or anything like I can describe-just very elegant, velvety, dark, warm and a bit cold at the same time. I am not a fan of Mugler, but this scent is high on my list of favorite designer fragrances(as opposed to niche, drugstore, artisan, etc....)!

Update much later:
    I have to say this fragrance doesn't smell much like natural jasmine-I smell a unique amber note that I now refer to as the "Mugler amber"-it's a bit heavy, modern, and smells both hot and cold at the same time. I still think the opening isn't so much beautiful as strong and fascinating, while the dry down is pure femme fatale and just smells gorgeous on my skin. This is one of those perfumes that really smells "synthetic"-but great to me. I am not a fan of "synthetic" smells-but if you found this to be a scrubber, I think you should really let the top notes and aggression pass to smell the magic-not an easy perfume, but a beautiful one-that's how it deserves its name. That is also why I don't regularly wear it, though I will never swap my bottle.

22 March, 2011

teardrop's avatar

England England

Holyzoo described this as "supersonic jasmine"; indeed it is, & in my book that's a good thing! There's a strange, metallic "dental surgery" note in the opening which quickly wears off, a little pepper, & then it's glorious, singing jasmine all the way to the drydown of white amber & woods. There is an "otherwordly" feel to it, probably from the much debated "solar note", but l feel super sexy & feminine wearing this. The sillage & longevity are both awesome, & l can smell it on my clothes days later.
    l must add that l can't stand Angel, & l would never have tried this had a basenoter not recommended it as a great jasmine-amber fragrance. l'm so glad l did, it was love at first sniff, & is a favourite in my wardrobe.

10th February, 2011

lady love's avatar

Argentina Argentina

13 years later Thierry Mugler proves she still has the magic. Alien is Mugler’s first major fragrance for women since Angel. The perfume bottle is somewhat odd but unique, It really is one of the most spectacular and original bottles I have ever seen.

What they do is put time and effort into a few select products, working hard on the design, and using the finest ingredients to produce something spectacular. Completely different from some of the most prestigious 'Parfums houses', who makes like two fragrances in 1 year, and you can practically smell the same scent in others fragrances out there, nothing new.

The initial notes are fairly woody, and I have to be honest, this strong woody smell, was the reason why I didn't like Alien. But I can't judge a Fragrance only by the first seconds, because Alien grows on your skin and change. This is like the kind of magic produced only by ''Big Scents''. In this metamorphosis, Alien reveals its hidden secret, showing us the beautiful notes of jazmin, and an oriental amber infusion that is deep and sexy.

One spray or squirt and I feel instantly powerful, glamorous and sexy. Is definitely a "night" perfume. The lasting power is Sublime!

Alien is truly a masterpiece!

28 January, 2011