Reviews of Rive Gauche pour Homme Light by Yves Saint Laurent

I agree with several reviewers that Rive Gauche pour Homme Light is not a watered down, weak retake of the near legendary original (one of the top fragrances I have ever worn).

No, RGpHL is a less "punchy" version, having the original's dna and being even more wearable for everyday casual occasions than Rive Gauche pour Homme original is. This light version uses new notes (like geranium) to give it a more accessible quality to wearers who may find the original to be still too strong.

Great formulation by YSL, worthy of test and being in the collection of Rive Gauche fans.

30th October, 2018
A superfluous offering. I am a big fan of the original. This one, while not bad, doesn't offer much to redeem itself. As expected, the spices and aromatic aspects of the original are pared down here. It is rendered more 'modern' and 'airy', with a light effervescent character.

This perhaps sounds good, but it is actually rather underwhelming. It lacks any imagination - there is no exploration of any note or any new highlight. It lacks character as well, and comes across simply as a diluted version of the original.

Acceptable sillage, but somewhat fleeting.

2.5/5
05th March, 2016
What a perfect flanker this is. It is indeed a lighter version of classic Rive Gauche but in a smart, fulfilling, unpredictable and very compelling way. It's not simply a "washed-down" version of it, not a "sport" flanker, it hasn't "just more citrus" as it often happens with "light" flankers; instead, as other reviewers already noted, it is 95% Rive Gauche (this implying it bears the same DNA of an amazing contemporary barbershop masterpiece) with a subtle, yet amazingly recognizable and brilliant tweaking of a couple of key knobs - notably, anise and geranium for me. In fact, it smells at once a bit more "azure", crisp and slightly more sugary thanks to a little more anise, and at the same time, kind of subtly fresher in a floral, "watery" way, thanks (I guess) to some more geranium. Just think of the immensely beautiful "new wave of barbershop fougères" embodied by Rive Gauche pour Homme, with the abovementioned variations.

The difference with Rive Gauche is quite subtle, but so cleverly made that it makes it absolutely not redundant to own both. Actually they smell much "complementary" for me - the Light flanker is slightly, elegantly fresher, more suitable for the day, also slightly less bold and thus something you can spray more liberally. While classic Rive Gauche is a bit more mature, more darker, somehow more formal too, and probably more powerful (although this Light version is definitely strong and long-lasting as well, don't worry about that). Again, not a massive difference, but not even that negligible. This is how flankers should smell for me - subtle, yet interesting and clever variations. Fantastic per se (it's Rive Gauche, after all) and a great addition if you already own Rive Gauche.

8,5/10
17th January, 2016

Gorgeous woody/floral scent. This stuff is fabulous!
26th January, 2014
Damn, this stuff is good! Sucks it's discontinued, and hard to find. I obtained a bottle through a swap on BN, and am super glad I did, as it has become one of my signature scents.

I have only tried the original twice, and found it to be too mossy, powerful, and sharp. This one is definitley similar, but with more lavender. Smoother and less sharp, less "old school", yet still lives up to the Rive Gauche brand. The shaving cream/barber shop inspired bottle fits well. This is not a watered down version of the original. This is full bodied, strong, has big projection and great longevity.

I'll have to sample the original some more to do a full comparison, but as it stands now, this one is a real sleeper. 2 big thumbs up!
17th April, 2013
This version of Rive Gauche strays very little from the original. That's not really a bad thing in my mind as Rive Gauche is one of my most versatile, enjoyable, masculine & highly complimented fragrances. Of course when I saw this on sale I just had to grab a bottle.

Don't be fooled by the reference to 'light' in the name; as this is nearly as powerful as the original. There's only just a hint of mint in the opening and a slightly more muted anise note to tell the difference.

If you can still find this and you love the original version, do yourself a favour and grab a bottle.
09th September, 2012
I liked the original Rive Gauche but it was overpowering for me and others. If you like the Rive, this is a more wearable version and lasts all day.
07th August, 2011
Rive Gauche Light is properly named. While some named light or extreme or intense only heightens to waters down a specific note or accord, Rive Gauche Light is simply a lighter version of Rive Gauche. Starts off with a barbershop style fougere accord and dries down soapy (oakmoss). Great for the office if you found that Rive Gauche was just too much.
15th January, 2010
Wonderful-smelling but pointless flanker. Wonderful because, well, it's Rive Gauche. Pointless because it's just a slightly more dilute and less smoky version of the original -- but the differences are so slight as to be irrelevant for the most part. Still, a thumbs-up as it's RG, but there is very little reason to own this if you have access to the original.
19th February, 2009
Nice, clean masculine scent. This one gets compliments whenever I wear it. The original is a little too strong for me, so the light version is a nice compromise. Thumbs up.
15th January, 2009
another vote here for the "pro" Rive Gauche pour Homme Light. I own and love all incarnations of the RVPH, and each one lends something unique to the roster.
RGPHL has a nice watery citrus in the beginning stages; interesting for me as I almost universally detest aquatics, but this is done with such sublety in a way that indeed complements the citrus note. Right in the wings is the RGPH smell of barbershop, or shaving cream, or... well, you know what I mean.
Although this is considered "light" longevity is still pretty good, lasting at least four hours on me, with the finish... or what remains, a nice amber accord.
I'm all for it! Once again, proof that YSL puts out solid fragrances, even when they are flankers.
19th September, 2008
bbBD Show all reviews
I love the original, but as we all know it can be quite the sillage monster and thus inappropriate for the office. The light version is what is says it is - a light version - and it can be applied liberally to enjoy the fragrance without worrying about someone at the end of the hall smelling you. It's not so light as be unnoticeable, especially by the wearer. I'd say it's toned down by about 30% from the original.
08th September, 2008
RobX Show all reviews
Smells clean and soapy - nice one this
27th February, 2007

Well, I'm against the grain here but I must say I DO like Rive Gauche Light! It's indeed light but not fleeting. It stays close to the skin and doesn't produce a lot of sillage, but It's long lasting.
One thing I really like in it is that It's a versatile fragrance. Spray it heavier and you have a formal scent. Spray it as usual and you have a cosy casual scent with a touch of class...
Smells a bit like some of those delicious shave foams and there's a note that reminds me of Fabergè Brut too. Simple and delightful, that's Rive Gauche Light.
06th December, 2006
I love Rive Gauche Pour Homme, so I like the "Light" version as well, although I do agree that there really wasn't a point to it. It isn't different enough from the original to be interesting or merit buying a second bottle (if you already own the original), and it lacks that dark, smoky ambiance that makes the original so unique. So, in short, it is a nice enough scent, but not worth getting in place of any original YSL scent.
12th November, 2006
i actually liked this, it defintiely lasts all day and to me it can be worn in the fall or the spring, it's light but strong and masculine and the ingredients play off of those themes quite well, it's not one of my top favorites but i do like it.
23rd September, 2006
This one was just unnecessary really. I suspect they only launched it to play around with the colour scheme of the oooh so classic tin cannister. Go for the real deal instead, you won't be dissapointed!
26th September, 2005