Reviews of Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

Find out more about Boss Soul by Hugo Boss in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

A bit of a synthetic-sharp start develops into what initially appears to be another peppery-fresh and bland scent, but after about 1/2 hour the drydown gains in depth, adding a wood note that is supported by a bit of vetiver, musk and tonka-based sweetness that distinguishes it from
    similar products with little personality.  On me it never is really that sweet but quite smooth with a touch of balancing brightness.  Overall quite acceptable, with a decent longevity of about three hours.  One of Boss's more convincing creations.

05th February, 2013

Bobster's avatar

Let me start off by saying when I first tested this on my hand I almost ran away from it. The initial blast to me was something medicinal and something hard for me to describe. I have learned that you can't judge a fragrance by a initial impression and that you should give it a full wearing before passing judgement. I got this dirt cheap and decided to give it a full wearing the other day and man oh man I am so glad I bought this. Yes its very subtle and the longevity could be better but the wood note in this is wonderful and I think if it had been stronger it might have been too cloying so I am actually glad its not stronger than it is. If I could describe this scent i would have to say it smells like nothing else on the market which makes this original in my book. If you find this dirt cheap don't be afraid to buy it. Give it a chance. I'm glad I did.

15th July, 2012

Darvant's avatar

To me this is an unusual Boss's fragrance with its watery, citrusy but endly dusty-milky construction. I detect an aromatic squash of watery citrus-lavender (mainly orange-mandarin), than cinnamon, nutmeg and a musky amber-vanilla in the dry down. There is some bracing initial freshness in the aromatic water of citrus, lavender, spices, pepper and anise. The note of pepper is prominent in a way this reminds a bit in the beginning the first blast of the pappery Bang (like a sort of blend of Bang and Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine). The slightly balsamic temperament is sheer and it keeps its presence even as well as the almost gourmand vanillic dry down has fallen. Some woods give structure. The final issue is a spicy-orangy ambery concoction with a fresh-aromatic always present undertone.

01st November, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2011)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Rating thumb up: This scent really has some character. Dark, woody with a vibe of cherry liquorice. In notes and in group it is not a woody scent but it sure gives me a woodsy impression. There is this appealing dry sweetness that can't be ignored. This is not casual, not for the office, it is not sporty. This is for romantic occasion, it is masculine, serious, dark, deep, mystical and distinctive, somehow roughly gentle, subtle but strong, non provocative yet so noticable, somewhat brash but also elegant. Projection great for a while, longevity not as nearly good for this type of fragrance. A very good fragrance, well composed.

Edit: after few wears I came to realise how much I didn't need this in my collection, how there are much much better fragrances taht I already own, am yet to own and am yet to discover. Now I'm rating this to neutral, in year or two I just might rate it to thumb down if I'll even bother to do it as now I see this is not even worthy enough to be bashed, but simply ignored.

23rd March, 2011 (Last Edited: 07th September, 2011)

Scentirus's avatar

I just loved this scent, orange, vanilla and cinnamon rules there. My second favorite BOSS scent.
    The only weak thing to say for this fragrance is its longevity... light as soul. :)

26th December, 2010

odysseusm's avatar

I can't believe I'm giving this a neutral rating. It is not my style at all, but it does a good job.
    It is very sweet, a gourmand-candy sort of thing. For me, a deep chocolate note dominates, perhaps with hints of nut and or coconut. A tasty little bonbon. I'd never wear such a thing, but some will like it.
    Dry-down retreats a bit from the candy, gets hints of leathery musk. Rather sophisticated in tone.
    Not too bad at all.

22nd December, 2010

kubeksx's avatar

Poland Poland

i really like this fragnance. this is something what i like to wear going to the clubs, it's strong, long lasting and luxurious.
    Extrordinary, changes a lot with the time: opening is uplifting and orangy and leaves me later with deep and creamy notes.
    it's highly recognisable among mixture of other people's fragnaces, alpha male i would say!
    definetly one of my fauvorites, essence of masculinity in some aspects.

07th September, 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar

Ahh, a great example of too many notes pushed together. The opening of Soul to me smells like neroli, lime, and leather. Kind of reminds me of CK Contradiction in the opening. Then I get this fish food accord. This is no exaggeration.. it smells like fish food to me. It stays this way for the most part during the middle, where I also get the anise coming through which is listed as a top note, but I definitely don't get it until about 20 minutes in. I also get the nut meg and cinnamon, and it reminds me of a loopy more earthy version of Tommy. I also get the vetiver in the middle and even in the top a little even though it's listed as a base note. If you take the time to smell this on your arm from top to base, and look at the notes provided, you may pick up on everything, I piked up on most, but I'm sorry, this just doesn't come together well. On top of that, it smells quite cheap.

16th August, 2010

Kabamaru ninja's avatar

Greece Greece

Good minty and very sweet gourmand from Hugo,not exactly what I m looking for but a nice alternative! medium longevity strong sillage.

18th March, 2010

cheekyhamsta's avatar

An amber/sweet-smelling fragrance with a hint of darkness that smells distinctly synthetic, but with some appeal nonetheless. I like the name and it has a nice looking bottle too. Probably best used as an evening fragrance IMO that I associate with a black outfit. This one (along with Boss Dark Blue) is probably my favourite of the recent crop of Boss fragrances, but I'm in no great hurry to buy it as I reckon that there are several other fragrances in its genre that are more interesting and do a better job (e.g. Azzaro Pour Homme, etc.). Also its longevity on my skin is mediocre.

14th September, 2009

chamelion's avatar

a much deeper sexier scent from the hugo boss line its probably the most masculine although sometimes it feels femnine

great anise and woodsy drydown and it gets a bit semi sweet but not overpowering and great smelling

25th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 25th September, 2009)

tearoad's avatar

BOSS SOUL: Rich and smooth, a bit like sharing a post-prandial cognac with someone who wants to take you to bed. There’s a kind of smoky quality to the air and a hint of what might or might not happen. Boss Soul is a bit like Diana Krall: seductive without being overbearing. You’re intriqued if not completely certain why. The night could go either way—and this fragrance represents that delicious tension.

09th June, 2009

Algharb's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Just bought it - realy don't remember why (?). Keep more then half bottle... makes me feel a bit sick.

20th November, 2008

kristiyan's avatar

Very subtle and gentle smell. Almost requires one to burry their nose inside the shirt to catch a full smell of the scent.

The Hugo Boss advert says it is a perfume for the man around town. I'd say - Yes, if he wants to smell of something nobody will notice - yes.

Initially when I was testing the fragrance, spraying on a test-paper gave me a hit of fresh pine forest. I liked that very much and bought the bottle. However on the skin, it smells different, and the initial scent lasts only for about 10 minutes, than descents into something totally different - the stale smell of a chemist's workshop. The wardrobe rather.

I regret buying this bottle. The scent is not outstanding with nothing, a simple fragrance that would suit someone who wants to smell of something, but doesn't want it to be anything anyone will notice unless specifically investigating what you smell like.

Not on my shopping list anymore!

18th November, 2008

Shaheen's avatar

Opens with the same synthetic coconut accord that I get with Obsession Night's opening. This then dries down to something a little sweeter and more pleasant than Obsession Night's bland spiciness. I don't detect much anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla in this.

A synthetic smelling spicy sweet fragrance. Not very original or appealing IMO.

30th September, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

An obvious anise note on the top. A unique spiced woody gourmand from Hugo Boss. Fairly linear.

16th September, 2008

Not a very complex or trend-setting fragrance—citrus, then spice, then strong on amber. It has a very simple and generic construction, quite synthetic but not disgustingly so. There is little refinement and even less innovation in the opening, and it presents a third rate anise / citrus accord. In the middle accord, the individual spice notes are neither clearly delineated nor refined. With the base, all that really comes through is a weak, common, amber note shadowed by…something else. The scent doesn’t last long. Boss Soul is rather typical Boss fragrance, but, instead of the usual thumbs down, I’m voting it neutral simply because it is better than many of the other Hugo Boss miscreants. (Edit of August 28, 2008 review)

23rd August, 2008 (Last Edited: 18th June, 2009)

SteveJB's avatar

While wearing it in the UAE (Middle East,) I found a rather favorable response from the citizens.
    The mandarin notes were quite pleasant as well.

15th April, 2008

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

Not a bad fragrance, but not great either. The sweet and smoky notes don't complement each other very good, so that oftentimes it seems too smoky and smother.

11th January, 2008

scentsitivity's avatar

Boss’s Soul is light and ethereal. It has a pleasant, clean smell that is too clean for my liking (as a cologne); I would rather smell it than smell like it. Citrusy opening, sweet amber-vanilla-musk in the base. The clean and light character remains throughout. Decent lasting power. Perhaps worth a look if you want a clean scent.

18th November, 2007 (Last Edited: 09th April, 2008)

mjclark's avatar

Very similar to Del Mar and equally dull.
    Good quality but bland and inoffensive-the sort of thing you'd buy as a present for someone you didn't know very well...

28th April, 2007

egciv's avatar

great scent and long lasting boss and hugo perfumes are the best ones

07th November, 2006

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

This one is nice,but too expensive for a simple fragrance.It is also not for my age and too serious for me

26th October, 2006

Tajsmellsgood's avatar

I have a sample of this. There is something interesting about it. I think it may be the cinnamon. I dont see myself buying it. It is not different enough. It would be another oriental in my collection along with A*men, Desire, Lemale and Pi to name a few. Im moving away from orientals at this time.

13th October, 2006

Khan's avatar

I see this fragrence is not highly rated among teh Basenoters.But I bought a bottle the other day and I quite like it. Its very deep, rich in Amber and Vanilla, which makes it quite warm fragrence for winter. Quite Ok I think

11th February, 2006

JParker's avatar

Boss Bland? Weak Soul? Yes. It is pleasant enough and wears fairly well but, as my sister said, "It smells like my second grade classroom." Wear this cologne when you want to feel like you're not wearing cologne. If anything, it mayleave a clean and soapy impression--a plus?

13th January, 2006

20scents's avatar

A very delightful, smooth fragrance, similar to Boss in Motion but deeper yet still. Elicits compliments and is a very pleasant scent to own and wear. Bravo, Hugo Boss. ;-)

09th November, 2005

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Overall a very dissapointing experience.
    The only fact saving Soul from total disaster in this case is that they're at least moving in the right direction, away from horrible aquatics like Del Mar.

Soul is as basic an amber as anyone with just a little understanding of perfumery could have created. A generic citrus opening, followed by a spicy heart and then a woody/sweet drydown. There are a billion of these already and we really didn't need yet one more.

Check out Hoggar by Yves Rocher instead, better and cheaper.

07th August, 2005

Cronos's avatar

Tried a sample of it, and although the dry down is a little like Boss Bottled, that one is much nicer. Nothing really stands out with this fragrance. Boss Bland would've been a better name for this.

25th July, 2005

Urobian's avatar

i cant believe the opinions that i read, soul is awesome, very woody and spicy/oriental, great long lasting and very sensual ...

24th July, 2005