Positive Reviews of Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

rbaker Show all reviews
A bit of a synthetic-sharp start develops into what initially appears to be another peppery-fresh and bland scent, but after about 1/2 hour the drydown gains in depth, adding a wood note that is supported by a bit of vetiver, musk and tonka-based sweetness that distinguishes it from
similar products with little personality.  On me it never is really that sweet but quite smooth with a touch of balancing brightness.  Overall quite acceptable, with a decent longevity of about three hours.  One of Boss's more convincing creations.
05th February, 2013
Let me start off by saying when I first tested this on my hand I almost ran away from it. The initial blast to me was something medicinal and something hard for me to describe. I have learned that you can't judge a fragrance by a initial impression and that you should give it a full wearing before passing judgement. I got this dirt cheap and decided to give it a full wearing the other day and man oh man I am so glad I bought this. Yes its very subtle and the longevity could be better but the wood note in this is wonderful and I think if it had been stronger it might have been too cloying so I am actually glad its not stronger than it is. If I could describe this scent i would have to say it smells like nothing else on the market which makes this original in my book. If you find this dirt cheap don't be afraid to buy it. Give it a chance. I'm glad I did.
15th July, 2012
Rating thumb up: This scent really has some character. Dark, woody with a vibe of cherry liquorice. In notes and in group it is not a woody scent but it sure gives me a woodsy impression. There is this appealing dry sweetness that can't be ignored. This is not casual, not for the office, it is not sporty. This is for romantic occasion, it is masculine, serious, dark, deep, mystical and distinctive, somehow roughly gentle, subtle but strong, non provocative yet so noticable, somewhat brash but also elegant. Projection great for a while, longevity not as nearly good for this type of fragrance. A very good fragrance, well composed. (23.03.2011.)

Edit: after few wears I came to realise how much I didn't need this in my collection, how there are much much better fragrances taht I already own, am yet to own and am yet to discover. Now I'm rating this to neutral, in year or two I just might rate it to thumb down if I'll even bother to do it as now I see this is not even worthy enough to be bashed, but simply ignored. (07.09.2011.) - neutral rating.

I guess this the final edit : It has got to my attention that this fragrance is indeed sort of a P.R. 1 Million before 1 Million and in style in some instance Escada Magnetism with a twist. Another for comparison would also be Davidoff Silver Shadow Private, Davidoff Game and Cerruti 1881 Black, and to a degree YSL La Nuit de L'Homme, Azzaro Night Time. These fragrances share the same style or vibe or whatever. Now, some of them are more popular and accepted such as 1Million and YSL La Nuit. Some escaped the radar nose system, but are considered good when asked about such as Cerruti 1881 Black and Davidoff Game. Boss Soul is an earlier fragrance that really does in fact offer quite much to its wearer, no more and no less than the others with which it shares the style. It's projection is not incredible, however this is not all too subtle fragrance. Clubbing and dating, evening whole year fragrance I'd say and a good one.

The reason I rated it neutral after a sudden bashing was that I too suddenly had a high pitch rise of my collection with various fragrances, some of which were to me then either similar and better or simply way better overall. Today, more calm, I see the potential of this fragrance even though it's a creation from 2005. Very modern, could be pulled off by a younger crowd but also by mature men. It'd go well with a suit too, but not as a daily fragrance.

So what you get here is a spicy oriental and also quite a woody fragrance that was in fact among the first of this kind. Modern and elegant. If it were not a Boss fragrance, I'm sure it'd get more attention and respect by the community. (06.05.2015.) - positive rating.
23rd March, 2011 (last edited: 06th May, 2015)

I just loved this scent, orange, vanilla and cinnamon rules there. My second favorite BOSS scent.
The only weak thing to say for this fragrance is its longevity... light as soul. :)
26th December, 2010
i really like this fragnance. this is something what i like to wear going to the clubs, it's strong, long lasting and luxurious.
Extrordinary, changes a lot with the time: opening is uplifting and orangy and leaves me later with deep and creamy notes.
it's highly recognisable among mixture of other people's fragnaces, alpha male i would say!
definetly one of my fauvorites, essence of masculinity in some aspects.
07th September, 2010
An amber/sweet-smelling fragrance with a hint of darkness that smells distinctly synthetic, but with some appeal nonetheless. I like the name and it has a nice looking bottle too. Probably best used as an evening fragrance IMO that I associate with a black outfit. This one (along with Boss Dark Blue) is probably my favourite of the recent crop of Boss fragrances, but I'm in no great hurry to buy it as I reckon that there are several other fragrances in its genre that are more interesting and do a better job (e.g. Azzaro Pour Homme, etc.). Also its longevity on my skin is mediocre.
14th September, 2009
a much deeper sexier scent from the hugo boss line its probably the most masculine although sometimes it feels femnine

great anise and woodsy drydown and it gets a bit semi sweet but not overpowering and great smelling
25th August, 2009 (last edited: 25th September, 2009)
BOSS SOUL: Rich and smooth, a bit like sharing a post-prandial cognac with someone who wants to take you to bed. There’s a kind of smoky quality to the air and a hint of what might or might not happen. Boss Soul is a bit like Diana Krall: seductive without being overbearing. You’re intriqued if not completely certain why. The night could go either way—and this fragrance represents that delicious tension.

09th June, 2009
While wearing it in the UAE (Middle East,) I found a rather favorable response from the citizens.
The mandarin notes were quite pleasant as well.
15th April, 2008
great scent and long lasting boss and hugo perfumes are the best ones
07th November, 2006
I have a sample of this. There is something interesting about it. I think it may be the cinnamon. I dont see myself buying it. It is not different enough. It would be another oriental in my collection along with A*men, Desire, Lemale and Pi to name a few. Im moving away from orientals at this time.
13th October, 2006
I see this fragrence is not highly rated among teh Basenoters.But I bought a bottle the other day and I quite like it. Its very deep, rich in Amber and Vanilla, which makes it quite warm fragrence for winter. Quite Ok I think
11th February, 2006
A very delightful, smooth fragrance, similar to Boss in Motion but deeper yet still. Elicits compliments and is a very pleasant scent to own and wear. Bravo, Hugo Boss. ;-)
09th November, 2005

i cant believe the opinions that i read, soul is awesome, very woody and spicy/oriental, great long lasting and very sensual ...
24th July, 2005