Positive Reviews of Armani Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Armani Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

On my skin this develops into an unusually light and bright ginger with amber, with a spicy patchouli added; later cloves round it off. The amber is in the foreground but the other notes blend in and do so very well. Smooth, neither harsh nor dark, with good silage and projection and six hours of longevity. Great on a sunnier autumn day, this is one of GA's best.

12 January, 2014

tymanski's avatar

the longer i have this one, the more i really appreciate it. it seemed quite simple & linear at first but repeated wearings (across all seasons) have slowly revealed a very subtle yet complex interaction of amber, anise & patchouli. very classy, low-key and cozy as hell. it's a very different patchouli than 1834, closer to coromandel with all edges gone. it's extremely well made and i love this subtle/minimalist take on these notes. true, longevity is on the short side, but spraying fabric is the answer there. lovely juice!

29 April, 2013

teardrop's avatar

England England

ln the opening l get the anise note, which stays all the way through, along with patchouli. lt quickly becomes gourmandish, without ever becoming too sweet. Ginger & a praline-type note give it a very biscuit-like quality, which is quite delicious yet elegant. lt gets nuttier as it dries down, fading to a skin scent after 3 hours, & there's a little smokiness in the base.
    This doesn't give the impression of being an amber fragrance in the usual sense, being neither piney & resinous nor densely sweet & vanillary. l would say it's more of a gourmand, classy enough to be taken seriously at the office. l expected better longevity, given it's high price, but l will be decanting my sample into a spray vial & giving it another chance.

30th January, 2012

30 Roses's avatar

Ambre Soie is not only my favorite of the Armani Privé fragrances, but also my favorite amber. The anise note appeals to me particularly and distinguishes it from other amber perfumes I have smelled. It lacks the food associations of Ambre Narguilé and the heavy vanilla of Ambre Sultan, qualities which make those two less appealing to me. Although Ambre Soie is expensive, a little goes a long way. I will probably never need a second bottle as I do not wear it often compared to my soliflores, but if something happened to this bottle, I would definitely replace it. Thumbs up!

09 June, 2010

nthny's avatar

I enjoy amber fragrances very much and to me, Ambre Soie is very different from any I've tried so far. On me, Ambre Soie starts off deliciously gourmand, with an almost boozy oatmeal cookie effect, complete with raisins, cinnamon and a hint of anise and clove. The spices in Ambre Soie are rendered so seemlessly, so dense and finely ground into a luxuriously silky "powder", that they create an indistinguishable bond with the amber so as to make it impossible for me to discern one from the other. Linear, lasts several hours, and I assume based on compliments received that it projects fairly well. I received this during the whole discount store Armani Prive sale madness and for that reason, I occasionally overlook it, but it is really an incredibly gorgeous, luxuriously textured fragrance.

05 October, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Armani Prive Ambre Soie

I have slowly but surely worked my way through all of the Armani Prive scents. I admire the intent to make high quality, read niche, scents under the Armani banner. On me for the most part they have been successful as I have enjoyed most of them. I have found all of them to be close wearing, long-lasting and well-constructed scents. Ambre Soie was the fourth of the Prives, created by Christine Nagel, in 2004. It definitely shares all of the genetics of its labelmates. At the top a stiff burst of ginger, clove and cinnamon start this with a spicy jolt. From there the amber begins to come in and of the three spices that start the scent only the cinnamon remains to combine really nicely with the amber. This is a sweet amber and in conjunction with the cinnamon it comes across as not too sweet and not as gourmand-like as some other ambers like Hermes Hermessence Ambre Narguile. As this moves into the base I get a nice bracing shot of cedar to add some clean lines to the amber and to finish things in a rousing style. Like all of the Prives there are better examples out there of the central note and style of these scents. Ambre Soie will not be my number one amber scent but it very likely will make my top 10.

16 May, 2009

jrd4t's avatar

This is my favorite of the Prive edp line. This is a unique take on amber and not at all overpowering or overly intense. It's creamy and warm and really addicting. Very nicely done on this one.

15 February, 2009

Myspunge's avatar

England England

the first of the Armani Privés I tried and by a long way the best. It’s a simple-minded little stud-muffin, amber cloved up a bit with also some very dry patchouli in it that smells of dusted chocolate. It layers brilliantly with less sweet ambers like Artisan Parfumeur Ambre Extrême and this is how I wear it when I want to resemble a caramel in a tuxedo. The nose is Christine Nagel, by the way.

13 January, 2009

rach2jlc's avatar

I'm usually the first to foul Armani for most everything (ubiquitous AdG, overpriced, poor quality suits, etc etc etc), so wasn't I surprised to smell this one. Love him or hate him, he really did something right with this. If I could afford it, this would be my staple evening, amber-based scent. It's classy, luxurious, and (as the name suggests), very silky and smooth, and smells like a million bucks. When I first read the name, I wondered how much more could be done with Amber, given the hundreds of scents (designer and niche) that use it in abundance.

But, unlike most Armani, it holds its own and is quite unique (another that I'd put in the same universe, albeit less interesting, is Parfum d'empire Ambre Russe). Unfortunately, at twice the price of Lutens or other niche, the Prive is hard to justify except for use on special occasions, which is about the only time I pull out my small bottle. DEFINITELY worth a try; a decant if you're on a budget, a full bottle if you've got the cash to burn.

03 February, 2007

lelando's avatar

This is a positively luxurious scent. Sweet, but not overly so. Try this layered with the Bois de Encens' it will knock your socks off. P.S. I have also found that layering these two fragrance adds more silliage and lasting power.

22 August, 2006