Positive Reviews of Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

Find out more about Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

Bois d'encens by Armani is a realistic, balsamic, piney, resinous and grey incense, still stuffed with Iso E Super but well disguised in a more "organic" way, less futuristic than other incenses like Avignon – and also less heavily liturgical, more natural, mystical and woody. The family is the one comprising Casbah by Piguet or Exultat by Maria Candida Gentile. More exotic than those, Bois d'encens is also more "grey" and a bit darker. Basically that's it, a sophisticated incense cloud with spices on top and woods on the base. A must for incense lovers – for all the others, it can soon turn into boredom. For me? Despite the enthusiastic reviews I find it well made and undoubtedly classy, but honestly a bit shallow.

6,5-7/10

08th August, 2014

2nosedtwin's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Armani Prive - Bois d'Encens
    This a special gem in the Armani Prive-line up. Such a simple perfume but yet incredible rich, thick, layered and also airy smelling. This is superb blending, especially for the all-natural ingredients: hot black pepper, cool yet spicy, salty vetiver and hissy-peppery resinous frankincense. These aromatics were chosen with much care and attention. I guess there were a lot trials made before the exact right combination of oils gave the right effect- but what a marvelous accord this is.
    This smells far away from the most masculine’s- this one focuses more on what’s happening inside its form than on the form itself. It moves from light to dark, from soft to raw-edgy, and back and forth. It plays a game with light and dark, casting shadows her and there, giving it a very dynamic interplay. It projects airy-green and dark-earthy notes at the same time. The fresh black pepper harmonizes with the peppery topnote of the frankincense that has the most complete scent-profile of top, mid and base. The vetiver is all the way green: fresh greenish on top, more of a solid rooty-dark green in its dryout. The frankincense acts more as an introvert while the vetiver is more extravert, it radiates more lightness and freshness and becoming more stronger and dominant in its dry-out. Then, Bois d'Encens gets a darker tone, almost of sweaty animalic wet fur, a sort of musk-tone. I guess the salty rooty-earthiness of the vetiver and the sticky stony-resinous from the frankincense are responsible for that.
    Its nice to smell a frankincense-based perfume that stays away from the smoky-dusty inside of a church-perfumes. Bois smells more of the outside- like a mixed forest of pine- and broadleaf-trees after a long night of raining that’s being warmed up by a very hot sun, early in the morning, during springtime. Damp, fresh-green, wet, humid and at the same time hot, dry and sweet, sticky-resinous. Definitely a perfume with a heart that beats with an analogue pulsation, not with the digital precision of an alarm clock. A masterpiece. Get it while stock lasts cause this one is gonna hit the perfume-Hall Of Fame...

30th April, 2014 (Last Edited: 04th May, 2014)

tdwctdwc's avatar

This is what every incense scent should be like.

I'm not talking about the smell but about the way the scent aura envelops the skin and transports the wearer to a calm ethereal place (in this case, it's the inside of an old stone church in Italy).

Incense itself when burned, is light in volume, airy and never overwhelming. This is exactly what bois d'encens is all about.

While other scents mix the incense with patchouli or amber to give it more volume and thickness, Bois d'encens gives it to you like it is and that's what i love about it .

Whenever i wear this, i feel like everyone and everything around me should be quite and calm. I know this sounds selfish but it's the truth and i can't help but feel that way.

Bois D'encens: Selfish incense.

23rd March, 2014 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2014)

rbaker's avatar

The mix of vetiver with a spicy incense sounds simple - but is is extremely well done. Neither heavy nor dark on my skin, not fat and more of a certain elegance. Great quality ingredients, some development in spite of it's simplicity, great silage, good projection and a splendid longevity of nine hours. Finally an Armani that ticks all the boxes. A great scent for sunny autumn days.

12th January, 2014

fragranceismusic's avatar

This is easily one of my favorite fragrances. It's magical. Like being in an old church deep in the woods. Incense, pepper, woods, blended perfectly. It's powerful, but not overwhelming. I get a lot of compliments on it and I never get tired of wearing it. I probably wouldn't wear it in hot weather though, definitely for fall and winter IMO. It's one of the jewels in my collection.

05th March, 2013

cheryl's avatar

ohh. sigh. This is my very favourite incense I think. It's very simple. It's very present. It's very evocative. Black pepper. Incense. And some thing else that gives it a translucence or luminosity. It seems so much its own thing as to be archetypal! I too yearn to drain every bank account, maybe trade in the car, to have "enough" in my possession.

01st June, 2012

Alityke's avatar

If I could afford I'd buy all the stock I could and wear forever. Love at first sniff.
    Wonder if No 2 son would notice if I didn't pay his University lodgings this month?

06th January, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Simply stunning and standing on the highest places of my personal incense based fragrances parade, just few steps behind those pillars as my lord Black Tourmaline and others favourite of mine as Norma Kamali Incense, Tauer's Incense Extreme, Shams by Memo (which is an aoud based fragrance but nicely incensey in its olfactory outcome), Incensi Villoresi, Messe de Minuit Etro, Kyoto CDG and Dzongkha. Averagely "bodied" (but initially a bit rubbery, resinous and almost dense), incensey and balanced enough to be ranked as a real dark and gothic incense based fragrance in its dusty boise liturgical soul. The juice itsel, starting with a real dusty and pungent blast (black pepper, juniper, spices), evolves towards a slightly rooty and woodsy real incense with the green-dark boise' boldness of the vetiver and hints of secret patchouli. The outcome is a cool-warm whiff of resinous conifers, cedar and smoky frankincense  while the smoothing elements (not listed....,labdanum, florals, amber?) are minimally dosed and hidden just in order to barely  sweeten the juice and to introduce a touch of marketing  appeal. The mildness of woods and some resins enhance the pleasure of the final issue that is surprisingly bold, modern and charismatic in comparison with many of the other incensed fragrances (many of those are too introspective  and out of time). The smell itsel and the relative atmosphere remind a bit those coming from some burning candles or oils in a shadowy room. The packaging is excellent, the price is dreadful. Highly recommended anyway.

24th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 04th September, 2012)

monsieur_sparkle's avatar

This, ladies and gents, is one of the most underrated perfumes in the fragrance world. Warm, smoky, and slightly lemony incense with that dusty undercurrent that top-shelf frankincense from Oman is known for is flawlessly framed on one end by deliciously spicy notes of pepper, and by mellow balsamic woods on the other. It's entirely delicious, and I've never smelt such a high quality frankincense note anywhere in perfumery - not in Amouage, not in Tauer, and certainly not in CdG. Not only that, but the supporting players do a perfect job of highlighting the beauty of the frankincense.

If you're enough of a frag aficionado to be browsing this site, then you owe it to yourself to at least try Bois d'Encens. Yes, even if you don't like so-called incense frags.

08th April, 2011

alfarom's avatar

This is a masterpiece! Dark, gothic, deep and mysterious liturgical incense. Together with CDG avignon, this stays at the top of church inspired fragrances and it's surely one of my favourites. It's pungent almost astringent in the opening to turn much more softer, warm and earthy during drydown. Pepper, some coniferous, vetiver and animalic hints give birth to a multi-faceted incense based composition that while smelling dark and gothic it's incredibly elegant in its minimalistic approach. Not too powerful but definitely remarkable. If you want your incense to stay close to the skin but to result incredibly distinctive at the same time, there's nothing like Bois D'Encens.

The original packaging came in a precious wood bottle and was available as a 50ml EDP at a quite unaffordable price. They now made a "smarter/cheaper" version with a dark glass bottle coming in a 100ml EDP size. Highly recommended!

05th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 16th January, 2012)

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

The quiescent Bois d'Encens draws on myrrh,  black pepper, and (especially) frankincense for its austere charm; comparisons can be made with Diptyque's L'Eau Trois, and Comme des Garçons' Ouarzazate and Avignon, respectively. What Bois d'Encens lacks in novelty (L'Eau Trois appeared in 1975), it makes up for in temperament: whereas the CdG Incense series is synthetic-smelling and occasionally harsh (I'm going to blame the budget rather than Duchaufour), the Armani interpretation is terrifically smooth and poised, with a lightness of touch that prevents the incense from overwhelming. The overall effect is meditative rather than smothering.

With regards to the serious difference in cost between the CdG and Armani scents, I think a good question to ask is: could the money saved on buying a slightly lesser version within a genre be used towards buying another scent, in a different genre, able to provide more enjoyment than the quality advantage you've forsaken? It's what most of us would do intuitively, and the answer will depend mainly on the extremity of the difference in quality and the value accorded to that genre in your wardrobe. Speaking for myself, the difference in quality here is certain, but I can think of genres or notes other than incense for which I'd prefer to pay more for a comparable superiority. So, I'll stick with my Avignon despite the excellence of Michel Almairac's Bois d'Encens.

10th February, 2011

epicurean's avatar

I'd bypassed the Privé range for a long time, simply because nothing in the mainstream Armani range could possibly have led me to believe that the Privé scents would have anything memorable -- let alone fantastic -- to offer. How wrong I was. I've finally sampled Bois d'Encens, and it is as simple as it is rich and fantastic. Textbook treatment of the genre of the incense-smoke-and-pepper fragrance; dry, with the slight crackle of a slow-burning fire. Warm, yet beautifully austere, as a religious ceremony involving incense might be austere and introspective. Similar price range to the Amouage line, and I'd say worth it.

23rd October, 2010

spiceman_99's avatar

Although this is listed as unisex, in my opinion it is masculine.I get more favorable comments on this one than any other product I own and I own a LOT! Further, I believe most of the negative comments here have more to do with price than product.You can defeat the high price by looking on Ebay.I'm looking at one right now for less than $100 U.S. Each of us have to decide for ourselves what works best in our unique experiences.Triple thumbs up from me!

13th September, 2010

Nile_Etland's avatar

After going into Selfridges for about the tenth time just to get my fix of Bois d'Encens I have had to admit that I really do love this one & must add it to my wardrobe. I've had it a couple of weeks now & find that it actually lasts quite well compared to most modern designer fragrances - not as good as classics like Mitsouko or Coco, but considerably better that Osmanthe Yunnan.

All in all - recommended if you're looking for an incense.

27th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 04th August, 2010)

bbBD's avatar

Here in the US the discount chain TJ Maxx and it's sister store Marshalls has received a flood of Armani Prive 'refill bottles', the internal fragrance bottle intended to slip into the wooden container with the fancy pebble cap. The refill bottle itself has a spray and is actually quite solid, physically and visually. In an amazing illustration of exactly how large the profit margin is on these fragrances, the refill bottles sell for $30 (at which price point the chain still profits). As I peruse the reviews, below, many of which mention the high price I almost twinge with empathy for all those who shelled out $150 or more for their bottles. I've had samples of the Prives forever, but because of these deep discounts I've had the opportunity to really play with them.

Bois d'Encens is by FAR my favorite Prive, and in fact it's the only one I enjoy. I've been exploring incense fragrances lately, and BdE is essentially frankincense with light supporting notes. On application the fragrance is all pepper, but within a couple minutes the frankincense note appears. As the pepper fades the frankincense becomes more dominant. The incense note is light and airy with a wonderful balance between being sharp and peppery and sweet and resinous. The absence of other strong notes lets the beauty of the frankincense do the talking, and as Turin points out in the Guide, frankincense has a wonderful quality of 'never smelling exactly the same twice'. I agree with this comment and have found that weather, clothing, situation, etc. all play in role in how Bois d'Encens presents itself on the skin. At first the sillage is very good but fades after a couple hours. Even thought the sillage fades the fragrance continues to develop slowly.

In the drydown slightly sweeter notes appear to balance the frankincense, and as a review below notes these seem to be balsamic, woody notes that have a sweet and resinous aroma of their own. At this stage BdE reminds me quite a bit of Guerlain's epic Bois d'Armenie which is loaded with balsam wood and incense. Bois d'Armenie is, in my opinion, a far superior incense fragrance, but it is also much richer and not nearly as minimalist as the Armani and thus they don't occupy the same niche. Longevity is good, 5-7 hours.

All in all Bois d'Encens is very good.fragrance and that's why I'm giving it a strong thumbs up (I try to judge in a vacuum without regard to value). However, I would never buy this at full price as I don't feel it's THAT good, especially when other great frankincense fragrances like Memoire Liquide Hommage are cheaper, and expensive incense fragrances like Bois d'Armenie are better. If you or someone you know can snag one at TJX/Mashalls by all means grab one. [special thanks to the BNer who bought me a bottle at their local Marshalls.]

02nd April, 2009

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

I was lucky enough to score a refill bottle of Armani Privé Bois d'Encens at a discount store. No lovely wooden box with the little stone on top, but even the refill bottle has simple, elegant packaging that looks nice on a dresser top. I would certainly not have paid the ridiculous retail price for a bottle in the wooden container. The perfume is good, but it's not that good!

For such a simple composition,Bois d'Encens really has a lot going on. I espeically love the dry wood overtone. It comes on very peppery, like the fresh-ground stuff from the pepper mill, but those notes fade quickly to a warm, dry, sawdust and incense aroma. Definitely unisex, but I admit that I like the scent of this on my husband's skin better than I like it on mine. I get no sweetness at all from this one when either of us wears it.

The sillage is good. My husband was looking around the room to see if I was burning incense before he figured out the source of this lovely aroma, ha ha! Alas, the persistance is just so-so, as some have already noted. It is barely detectible after two hours, and a faint lingering trace of frankincense was all that remained four hours after application.

23rd March, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Armani Prive' Bois D'Encens

I think all of the designer lines want to secretly be niche but their size precludes that from truly happening. In 2004 Giorgio Armani did the next best thing he created an exclusive line called Armani Prive' in an attempt to make a niche-feeling scent. Incense is one of my favorite notes and I am always struck with the variety of ways it can be approached. Michel Almairic's approach was to create a sheer enclosure of incense that always feels on the verge of disappearing but somehow never does. Many incense scents cling to you like being enveloped in a cloud of smoke this one feels like you are in the back row at midnight mass and are getting intermittent whiffs of incense. The top starts off with a mix of pepper and incense this is a vibrant beginning as the spice of the pepper contrasts the sweet of the incense quite nicely. As we move into the heart the sweetness of the incense changes to the more austere version and is paired with cedar. The cedar adds a clean edge to the scent which is continued into the base as a smoky vetiver finishes this off. This is the second of the Armani Prive' scents I have tried and in both cases I have been impressed that a scent with the lightness of touch they have also have a nice longevity and a high degree of complexity out of what seems like a simple note list. This is another example of what a designer is capable of when they put their mind to creating something of quality and beauty.

28th February, 2009

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Messe Serale.

Avignon, once more with feeling. (and an enveloping sillage/aura)

09th January, 2009

lovethescents's avatar

Hungary Hungary

What a stunning fragrance! Definitely my favorite of the Prive line. It is woody, soft, dark, autumnal incense. Excellent sillage and lasting power. True that it is insanely expensive. Might just try a decant....

10th October, 2008

Jemimagold's avatar

Well, well, well. Of all the Armani Privé scents I've smelled to date (Pierre de Lune, Rose Alexandrie, Cuir Amethyste), Bois d'Encens definitely has the biggest personality. It opened with a whoosh of pink pepper and then evolved into a smoky woody fragrance which seemed light but showed a great deal of resolve to stay on my skin.

I would describe Bois d'Encens as a sophisticated scent which would be perfect in the fall, especially on a man wearing a Loro Piano charcoal gray turtleneck sweater. As far as comparisons go, this is similar to Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand and Comme des Garcons' Ourzazate, both of which I liked a teensy bit more than Bois d'Encens, but I feel a bit churlish pointing this out as Bois d'Encens is definitely a top notch perfume.

Here are the notes, courtesy of The Perfumed Court: incense, vetiver and cedar.

23rd June, 2008

odysseusm's avatar

Bois D’Encens is fantastic! It joins my Cyprès-Musc and Bois D’Orage in a ‘holy trinity’ of perfect, dry resinous scents. I love that kind of fragrance and Bois D’Encens is tremendous. The promotion for it boasts of only five ingredients. That simplicity gives the scent what seems to me to be a virile confidence that is very attractive. Resinous incense dominates this scent. It is bone-dry, sappy rather than smoky, unadorned by any softening elements (e.g., florals, vanilla, amber), and quietly BOLD. Those who detect vanilla are probably detecting a balsamic note to the resins. The austerity (in my opinion and to my taste) makes this succeed where Avignon fails. Other elements (pepper, vetiver, and probably cedar) play a very low-key and supporting role to the majestic incense. Yes, this style is niche, expensive, and may be hard to find. But I find it well worth the effort. Wearing this makes a statement of uniqueness and character that makes you stand out from the herd. I think that this is the most masculine (by far) of the Privé line. Fabulous, haunting, evocative... I can’t say enough about this. It is cool and warm at the same time. And, as noted, the presentation (bottle, wooden box, cardboard cover) is excellent. This is why I collect and wear scents. Any day will be improved when you wear it. Every thumb I own is pointed upward for this.

18th January, 2008 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2008)

nthny's avatar

WOW! So minimalistically sensual. Dry dry dry black pepper (really, it smells like cracked pepper) and hot ashy insense with little to no sweetness on my skin. This is interesting as a wearable fragrance but also smells like something I could imagine as an exclusive room fragrance, candle or scented oil. This one more than the others in the series, belongs in the bottle it comes in. A truly unique, artistic expression in modern perfumery.

03rd July, 2007

supermarky's avatar

really great, after this it's hard to want to wear avignon (unless you layer it with something) or norma kamali incense... the comme des garcons is a more hardcore representation of frankincense (and fresh water), as is the kamali (but an oily rather than a watery interpretation, fascinating in its own right) but this one is a...seductive accord of other materials of substance along with the frankincense...a bit woodsy... very succulent.

09th April, 2007

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Mystical deep frankincense like effect without being too smoky. A wonderful formula of transcendence and spirit in the aura. Bois d'Encens has less redwood but more deep resin than the incense of Avignon - evokes the same spirit of the classic CdG fragrance but in a quieter way. The soft middle notes of vetiver w/ slight mint + vanilla add subtlety and roundness that Avignon doesn't have. A very successful formula. Only negative is the weak life and brief staying power - especially considering the cost for a 1.8 oz. bottle!

16th February, 2007

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I'm a sucker for pepper notes, so I fell immediately for the sparkling kick of pepper in the topnote. However, I have to agree with previous reviewers that it fades too fast! After a little while it's a softer, smoother, subtler pepper/incense/wood scent, quite lovely but hard to detect, and in a few hours, well, you'll have to have a very good nose to pick up a trace of it. Lovely, but oh so fleeting.

02nd February, 2007

bront82's avatar

exceeding expensive, yet excessively gorgeous! made me fall head over heels for incense. very similar to CdG avingnon, which I had to replace it with, for sheer cost alone. However, purchasing this (and the other scents in the series) is certainly an experience. Presentation is fantastic. I just wish that it hung around a little longer, I had to use it often and in large quantities, as it seemed to disappear alltogether in an hour or so.

15th August, 2006

ire's avatar

love this scent, and all of the prive... amazing, nothing smells like pine trees and sap as much as this does! it smells exactly like a fir tree, i can't believe it...

12th August, 2006

lelando's avatar

I have to change my ealier review of this slightly - it truly does have good longevity. I guess my nose got used to it quickly when I first started wearing it, but after a few times I realized that I was just carrying the aura with me wherever I weant and got used to it.

My wife really loves this one - it makes her knees buckle when she smells the spritz. Also try layoring with Ambre Soie - incredible combination.

30th April, 2006 (Last Edited: 05th March, 2007)

liam1977's avatar

This is my holy grail scent. For anyone looking for a true Catholic Mass scent this is it, much more so than CdG Avignon which almost gets there but has too much of an ash/burnt smell. This one has none of that and smells all the better for it. I really can't believe how close an approximation of incense used in Catholic Masses this is - I go to mass regularly and believe me this is it.
    There's a shocking herby blast when first applied but it dries down within minutes to a beautifully smooth, piny, woody (and almost vanilla like) scent with the true scent of church incense. Stunning.

29th March, 2006

czesc's avatar

like a colder, woodier version of christian dior's eau noire

18th February, 2006