Negative Reviews of Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

Great lavender opening but dries down to a sweet powder. Actually i feel disappointed with Gris Clair... i did expect more from a Lutens. It's more suitable for a woman in my opinion.
29th October, 2012
drseid Show all reviews
I'll go somewhat against the grain in saying that the clean lavender opening of Gris Clair is the best part of the scent, IMO. It is a refreshing menthol mixed with a nice natural lavender that led me to think for a moment that Gris Clair was a rare exception to my "no lavender scents" rule. Unfortunately the top notes disappear in seconds, and then a powdery iris note (another note I can't stand) appears in full force and mixes with the lavender making the scent near "scrubber" material for me. The iris continues to build even further as the scent develops, making it more and more powdery and less to my taste. Finally, amber adds a touch of sweetness to the iris/lavender combo to finish off the disappointing development. Sillage is average, and longevity is well above average.

This one started off with a lot of promise with its uncommonly appealing lavender rendition, but in the end the iris ruined it for me and made it a mild thumbs down overall. I could see iris fans enjoying this scent plenty though, so please do try it if iris and lavender are notes you enjoy. In my case they are two of my least favorite notes, so the odds of me liking Gris Clair were low to begin with. Oh well. 2 stars out of 5.
24th March, 2012 (last edited: 21st December, 2012)
Once again another heavy handed (i.e. unsubtle) over-sweet opening from Serge Lutens, surprise surprise. Don't scrub it though, as tempting as that idea might be. Bear with it though for an hour and a half and you'll be rewarded with... a drydown that smells exactly like the inside of your local dry-cleaners shop! yum, huh, all those sexy and mysterious dry cleaning solutions?
03rd February, 2012 (last edited: 04th February, 2012)

I have to wonder if I'm smelling the same Gris Clair that all of the reviewers before me have smelled.

From my decant, as soon as I spray the fragrance on I'm greeted with a little bit of cakey lavender, a big Cinnabon-like note, and then the worst undescribable "burnt fat" note that just hangs there and makes the whole thing unpleasant. It smells like sugary sweet burnt fat or something, like a botched crème brûlée. It smells like a wet t-shirt being burnt under an iron, or ham fat or something. It sounds weird but it's easier to smell it than describe it. This sticks around for the entire life of the fragrance on me, which is a long time. Sorry guys, but Gris Clair is not for me.
15th January, 2011
NevilleM Show all reviews
In the shop on a test strip it smelt great to me both initially and after 30 minutes. So I took a sample home to try.

As soon as I applied it I was met by a cloying sweetness like an old fashioned sweetshop full of open boxes of turkish delight in sugar. This continued for less than an hour then thankfully faded almost completely away.
I had an even worse experience with FMs Iris Poudre - they share Iris/Tonka Bean so one of or the combination of really hates my skin.
21st August, 2010
I really wanted to like this frag because it's a Serge Lutens and because it's supposed to be a defining Lavender. However i really couldn't stand it. The astringent and vegetal nature of Lavender has been removed and replaced by something mutant and acrid which puts me in mind of something my granny uses to clean her sink. The dry down physically made me feel unwell deu to its weird chemical pungency which reminded me of cheap amber perfumes of the 1980's.

This horrid fragrance gave me a rash ( really it did, no exagerration ) and i couldn't wash it off no matter how hard i tried.

Big thumbs down.
22nd October, 2008
In my opinion a really good example of what not to do with lavender. It is not featured in a natural way nor integrated in a complex way. Instead the scent strikes me as over produced, sacharin sweetened, de-medicinalised. All the purple roundness is removed leaving a monochrome two dimensional flatland.

I get no pathos with this, it is too technical and has no flow. It would make a good flavouring for a travel sweet in a tin. It lacks in depth of conception and execution to me.
19th April, 2008
vadim Show all reviews
Russian Federation
Must've been no mean feat to make a lavender scent so stuffy. Pass.
03rd October, 2006