Reviews of Yohji Yamamoto pour Homme by Yohji Yamamoto

Starts out smelling like it has promise...nice burst of fresh citrus-then-poof, like magic it dissapears without a trace...this is quickly replaced by the ozony spice/wood combo that every mall fragrance seems to spend most of it's time doing...sorry, that's all I get...
14th July, 2016
This one is interesting because it mixes some dirtiness into the smell, giving it some character. The balance seems to work. I am not in love and planning for a full bottle, although I think I would enjoy wearing it periodically.
16th June, 2016
Not on the same scale as stablemate Yohji Homme (hereafter YH), Yohji Yamamoto (hereafter YYPH) displays the same ambiguous, ephemeral Japanese aesthetic. Whereas YH displays whatever you want to find in it, YYPH for me seems to live not on the skin as such but in a cloud that comes and goes and presages my arrival. And perhaps "pre-sages" is not a bad usage, as the progression of the scent is through a touch of Yuzu, through a long-lasting sage and ending with a touch of leather closer to the skin. Perhaps one of those scents that "wears you"? Not tactile in the same way that YH is; you won't be able to grasp this one through sniffing the skin. Perhaps more for reflective moods. I like it a lot, but not necessarily to buy. And I couldn't say for whom I would recommend YYPH. One last point: as the previous reviews note, this is an abysmal bit of naming. In fact, given that the male lines of YY appear to have been discontinued - AGAIN - there seems to have been a sustained failure in marketing respectively highly original (YYPH) and stone-cold-classic (YH) fragrances.
16th April, 2016

I bought a 10ml/0.34FlOz travel-sized bottle of this on ebay, advertised as "Yohji Homme" (to be fair to the guy, I don't think he realised, and has offered to exchange it) - so please note, this is NOT "Yohji Homme", as made famous in the Luca Turin review, this is "Yohji Yamamoto Pour Homme" - a completely different kettle of fish, if you'll pardon the expression.

This is very linear, seems to stay on the same thing from start to finish, which is a vaguely boozy, watery aquatic nothing, really. It reminds me of a less interesting Baldessarini Del Mar Marbella (which in itself wasn't that interesting to begin with).

Vaguely pleasant/vaguely insipid, depending on your taste. Not one to revisit for me.

This bottle was imported by "Delphic HSE Solutions" to the UK, made in France. Not sure if it is a reformulation, as other reviews mention this was discontinued, but I think a fair few reviews of this I have seen elsewhere on the internet, as well as the Basenotes reviews of "Yohji Homme", may have had the two mixed up.

Understandable really, given the similarities of the names, and the bottles (something I think they may have changed now - a quick internet search shows this now comes in a rectangular-shaped bottle, whereas mine was the slim, tall "Yohji Homme" shaped one, but without "Yohji Homme" written at the top - photo submitted below).

12th November, 2015 (last edited: 11th November, 2015)
Funny anecdote is that I carried a small sample spray with me one night to a friend's house. This friend and his friends don't care for colognes but I sprayed the one friend I liked the most with this. He proclaimed "Wow! I smell good!" which I later confirmed with him that he "wasn't kidding."

This is a different peppery and fruity smell than I'm used to. An aquatic with a dilute citrus accord in the beginning that meanders into a spicy watery note. It later sits upon a vetiver sofa laced with minute traces of suede in its fabric near the terminal. A pleasant fragrance but not worth the price of full bottles are fetching as of this writing ($135 for 100ml? c'mon! I know it's discontinued but really...)
18th June, 2008
Yohji Yamamoto pour Homme, begins with a quite unique sharp citrus accord — a very clean and precise citrus highlighted by a mild pepper note that adds some sophistication to the sharp cleanliness of the yuzu and mandarin. It is pleasant and charming. When the milder, more neutral middle notes enter, the fragrance settles down from its bright beginnings: Actually, it settles down too much. YY loses is momentum and offers, for basenotes, the barest hint of suede, geranium, cedar, and sandalwood. This fragrance just doesn’t hold up on my dry skin. In spite of that, I recognize that it is a very nice fragrance – one that is well refined and creatively constructed of very good ingredients. It is just too weak for me: Those who like their fragrances more subtle than I do might just find this an excellent one.
07th November, 2007
zr0e Show all reviews
I get L'eau D'issey PH and Armani Mania in the opening. It isn't my cup of tea and yet, still enjoyed wearing it.

18th April, 2007
Over the last few years, I have gone for the more classic 'man' smells, with hugo boss 'boss' perfume, and allure sport and more recently, marc jacobs, To me, all solid and 'safe' perfumes, Recently found this Yohji Yamamoto perfume, and it has apparently been performing steady sales here in the U.K, The first feeling provoced from this pour homme is a very mysterious kind of eastern smell, without the overpowering smell others flounder in, this perfume to me exhuberates arrogance in a bottle, and I love it! It has a distinct smell I cannot descibe, but I would reccomend anyone to try and get a sample of any sorts before buying, to me, this is a perfume to own! A definete arrow to your collection of perfume weaponry!
28th March, 2005