Reviews of Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

Find out more about Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

Beyond Paradise for Men is essentially a green-tinted, fruity/woody composition in the manner of Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed, though more obviously floral in its heart than the former, and drier and more herbaceous than the latter. It’s also distinguished by a peculiar luminous quality that pervades its structure, the result, I assume, of some potent synthetic base notes that I cannot identify. It’s a nice, upbeat, casual scent, but having worn Beyond Paradise for Men for a while, I’ve come to find it disappointingly bland. In this crowded field Amouage’s brilliant Ciel, the grand old Grey Flannel, and especially the lamentably discontinued, (though still available) Rochas Globe all offer far more by way of depth and character.

09 June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Strong synthetic hedione-helional-calone opening, which is supposed to be a plastic and somehow disturbing artificial representation of some refreshing/tropical/acquatic accord of melon, white flowers and some herbs (it quite smells of basil to me). Basically some ozonic deodorant with a strong metallic/synthetic feel. It may have been a little "new sensation" back then, but I honestly find it terrible - better say, "wearable" as any supermarket deodorant. I also find it fairly similar to Odeur 53 - which instead is more delicate and pleasant, and above all, it "declares" being some avant-garde minimal synthetic experiment. Not saying it's better (it is, by the way) but at least there is no "beyond paradise"/"cheap travel agency poster" marketing bullsh*t there.

10th April, 2014

malacoda's avatar

All in all a nice scent - but throughout the day it just felt as if something was holding it back from being truly great....

After a few hours I was finally able to put my finger on it - IMHO there is a problem with its 'sweetness'.

The bulk of its notes give it a refined, grown up personality that, IMHO, has a lot of promise. But the nature of its sweet notes feels like an irresponsible 22 year old who wants nothing more to do with life than go clubbing.

It's as though its trying elicit two personae at once: that of an elegant, refined grown up, (the dominant persona) and that of a youthful, carefree, rebellious youth (the secondary persona) -- only the two persona clash with each other rather than being evoked in harmony.

I detected no hints of rotten melon or cucumber. But I can no understand why others have posted they feel this scent is somewhat discordant and all over the place.

06 April, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

A truly trite scent - woody reedy artemesia watery thing that has been done hundreds of times - and every single one to no distinction whatsoever.

A truly stupid name also, as it has nothing to do with the very pleasant jasmine dominated white floral melange that is Beyond Pardise.

A waste of time and money.

10th February, 2014

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

want a bad formulation of Eau de Cartier?

So i believe the substance is called helional. It can give a lot of freshness and "cold air" feeling but if balanced right and here it seems to be a bit out of proportions,it is just all over the place and after inhaling it frequently it hurts inside my nose. The melon somewhere at the background is just not convincing.The drydown is a flowery grapefruit + "cheapy-musky" thing.Was this composed in a rush?

14 September, 2013

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

A Unique Interpretation of a Tropical Oasis

I think this is a beautiful, unique, and polarizing aquatic fragrance. Not surprised that the reviews are very hot or cold. The aroma is very innovative, much in the same way that Kenzo Pour Homme was innovative in creating a distinctly literal interpretation of the sea, ocean, and coastline. I find this one to be more of a tropical, hidden oasis, not necessarily beachy or brilliant, but lush with tropical flowers & fruits, refreshing water and something woody. I've never seen such a place, but that's where I'm transported. The woody vibe is probably where people get turned off - its the most lasting effect of the scent and it is paired with florals, which can be less interesting for modern men. Add to that the scent seems quite fleeting and you have a composition primed to disappoint the masses.

But I actually find that its the sillage or projection that drops off, not the longevity, such that this is an appropriate smell for all occasions. But amongst the younger crowd, who want something loud and prominent, this will surely disappoint. But if you're looking for something different, summer/spring appropriate, that is classy, work safe and reasonably long-lasting (7hrs+), give this one a try. I give it 8/10.

Pros: uniqueness, cost, persistence, versatility
    Cons: projection (below average), aquatics aren't for everyone,

01st July, 2013

Gary F's avatar

Something is a Little Off Here

This one is almost pleasant, but there is something a little off here. There was a really harsh bitter note in the very opening, but is settled into something that was very middle of the road. I won't be purchasing even at the great price.

30th June, 2013

jimstoic's avatar

This is my favorite daytime scent. I cant describe it better than Buysblind, so I won't try.

01st March, 2013

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

I'm not going to say it's the worst thing ever, but it's definitely below average. It smells a bit weird, not in a pleasant way. We can't have that characteristics for a fresh/summery fragrance.

08 December, 2012

drseid's avatar

Beyond Paradise for Men opens with a very sharp grapefruit and bitter melon melange that comes off as a bit aldehyde-like. The sharp citrus remains to a degree in the early heart, joined by floral elements of honeysuckle and jasmine with an underlying oceanic accord almost certainly comprised of calone hanging around throughout. The oceanic floral aspects remain through the dry-down with the melon accord finally extinguished, now accompanied by a plum-like woody accord that must be the plum wood listed in the official scent pyramid (I confess I have never smelled plum wood before, so I can't be entirely sure). Projection is average and longevity is very good.

Ah, the much maligned Beyond Paradise for Men... It would be all too easy to join the crowd and trash this one, but I really don't find it unpleasant at all. Sure, it is laced with the dreaded calone that many scent aficionados disdain (myself included). That said, it distinguishes itself from a crowded group of similar scents by its relatively skillful use of florals in the heart notes and its different woody base that presumably is the plum wood (a note you may not often if ever come across in a scent outside this one). I am not going to say that it is a great scent or even one I would buy (it isn't on both counts), but folks looking for something different in the aquatic genre could do much worse for a lot more money. In the end, Beyond Paradise for Men is an above average to good smelling floral aquatic, earning 3 stars out of 5.

21st November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

This one smells like an old melon. A synthetic one at that. Don't know what the hec they were trying to do with this one. You have been warned!

11th October, 2012

OlfactoryWiz's avatar

Decaying melon plus molded cucumber rotting and emitting a fetid smell.
    I do not agree with "The Guide" 5 stars describing it as "more like music than fragrance" and calling its creator a "composer. If you consider metal trash can thrown onto dirt or grass with rattle from handle music, then that would be Beyond Paradise music. Horrible.

03 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2012)

Buysblind's avatar

Forget Luca Turin's 5-Star review of Beyond Paradise and you may actually come to enjoy this fragrance for what it's worth.

This is a fresh, fruity cologne for men that eventually settles into a pleasant, woody base. The opening is watery and gives off something of a fruit-juice vibe, and it's accented by some light floral notes. These accords in turn create a transparent, somewhat carefree nature that lends itself appropriately to the summer.

As it settles in, the fruity, floral top blends well with what is listed as "plum wood," which is a nice, light woods. Though it's hard to describe on paper, it has a kind of unique smell which I haven't noticed in other woody fragrances, and it meshes well with the floral and fruit notes. The woods dominate just a little at this point, and it is a drier, welcome transition after an hour or two of the juicy top.

Beyond Paradise has become a summer staple for me. And while many chalk it up as just another generic "aquatic," I think the interesting blend of florals and fruit combined with the plum wood distinguish it from the pack and in the end, create a fragrance that simply smells good.

Projection is moderate (not powerful, but not a skin-scent), and longevity is around 5 hours. This is a casual scent with a light-hearted appeal.

Definitely worth trying if you're not opposed to the fruitier, aquatic side of things.

16 September, 2012

Scent-e-mental's avatar

"Melony Felony"
    This is truly an apalling fragrance. Why Luca Turin raves about it is beyond me and Beyond Paradise is beyond redemption.

The melony start passes quickly to reveal a chemical (maybe nail-polish remover) like note. The fruit is harmonised with the other notes exactly the same way that the after-taste of toothpaste harmonises with a glass of tropical fruit juice. I actually felt nauseous trying to detect the notes in it.

We are never actually told what fruit Adam and Eve ate in Eden, but I bet it wasn't anything contained in this fragrance!

19 June, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

Estee Lauder may offend me sometimes with her female scents, however in the case of her masculine fragrances, like Beyond Paradise for Men, she has me overwhelmed with shock and joy.

This fragrance is refreshing, sexy and unique. It's a touch synthetic like Beyond Paradise for Women, however it's not reminiscent of rotting flowers and a chemistry lab like its female counterpart was.

Beyond Paradise for Men relies on its distinctive fruity notes and exotic floral combination. It brings to mind everything that's Summery; beach, hot sun, cool drinks etc. Strangely enough, despite its rather feminine composition, this fragrance is very manly. However I wouldn't rule out this fragrance for women altogether as I find the scent rather unisex.

Luca Turin raves over this fragrance, describing it as being very colourful and complex. I somewhat agree, even though I do still prefer dark, woodsy and spicy scents on a man.

I thought of my boy the moment I sprayed this fragrance onto a piece of card, which unnerved me a little. For this reason alone, I feel that this fragrance would probably suit his relaxed, somewhat clueless sense of style and humour. Beyond Paradise for Men speaks character, liveliness and youthfulness.

In some ways it strikes me as being a little aquatic, but not in a dominating and suffocating sense of the word. It sits on the skin smoothly and lasts quite well, with the sillage being rather impressive. I highly recommend.

24 March, 2012

SirScent's avatar

I purchased Beyond Paradise more than a year ago.
    Tried it once and never gave it a chance to develope.
    The initial bombardment of synthetics burnt my nose. It was placed in a closet..almost forgotten.

But I tried it again today and found that yes, it is synthetic and strong upon initial application but it developes into quite a nice and pleasant fragrance.
    It reminds me of Fahrenheit ..the good aspects of fahrenheit the next day.

The drydown takes a while but was fruity and a bit soapy and nice.

I'm glad I tried this again and now that I understand I have to be patient to get to the good parts I will use this more often.

24 February, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estee Lauder - Upon application, one is treated to a salt water and fruity melange. I suspect Eden's Mist is calone with its watery, marine and ozone accord furnishing a delightful, fresh, seashore apparition. Fruitiness of ripened melons and somewhat medicinal cucumber is provided by the Brazilian jabuticaba, while South African buchu leaves impart their rain forest vibe with their lush and woody aspects as well as a faint mintiness. This refreshing opening drifts to the waiting middle. Here, in the heart, herbaceous lavender, with its inherent freshness, a mediterranean accord of earth and sweet cistus as well as vivacious herbs overhaul the blend. Balsamic sage along with verdurous tarragon, with its licorice and lemon vibe, as well as lemony and woody thyme wonderfully interplay. The strong base usurps this bracing mix. Old and weather-beaten beachwood, green and grassy vetiver, minty and muddy patchouli, earthy and foresty oakmoss as well as light and spicy melaleuca bark, all bestow their sensuous character. A fascinating drydown ensues. This impressive and manly composition has good projection and very good longevity.

01st January, 2012

Trauerkraut's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I love Beyond Paradise for Men! A soft, gentle and inoffensive, slightly androgyne delicacy! It has the same kind of 'feel good' atmosphere as Fahrenheit 32, which I really do like as well. Very nice!

05 November, 2011

jtd's avatar

Equally well-composed and unappealing. Same issue I have with the original Beyond Paradise, but I'm equally less conflicted and less interested.

28 August, 2011

alfarom's avatar

I can't classify Beyond Paradise For Men as an unsuccessful fragrance but, for sure, is far form being the masterpiece Mr.Turin wants us to believe. It opens with a cucumber/melon combo that's at the same time fruity and green, fresh but not inconsistent. A strong and synthetic woody base is immediately remarkable and brings the fragrance to the very crowded "Cool Water type of fragrance" territory.

If you like light/summery scents this could be a valid alternative to the most popular names, but IMO it is as good as this unambitious genre gets.

06 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 September, 2011)

vilgessuola's avatar

I bought this on the strength of Luca Turin's rave review. It starts out smelling like pineapple chunks and a sticky paper bag of kids' sweeties on a hot day, then dries to a pleasant enough fruity freshness which is gone within a couple of hours. Utterly unmemorable stuff in a lovely bottle.

26 July, 2011

ferrante palla's avatar

I was dubious when I first bought this, and in fact gave it away to a friend's son to use as deodorant. However I persisted and when I recently took a long haul flight (10 hours) having first scented myself with BPM, I emerged at the other end smelling like a freshly washed and bright person who had just stepped out of the shower and was ready to start a new day.

The scent is delicious and at the same time bright and almost fruity. I've decided it's a fantastic scent for travel. Interestingly, I used Yatagan while I was away (I didn't bring BPM with me) and it seemed prosaic by comparison, although I do indeed like it.

I'm going to make sure I have it with me for any future flights! It's great stuff, not at all overwhelming to others (such as those sitting next to you on a plane), but very long lasting.

Most highly recommended!

14 April, 2011

Spoombung's avatar

Ghastly, unmemorable, white noise, synthetic, piece of nothing in particular in a nice pretty bottle.

This is just dreadful, Luca Turin.

24 February, 2011

Grottola's avatar

Beyond Paradise for Men is not some overlooked, awe-inspiring sleeper hit. It's a lame cucumber/melon aquatic fragrance.

Luca Turin or not, I just don't like it.

03 February, 2011

colormechris's avatar

So this Luca Turin guy is supposed to be some kind of expert, right? I keep seeing his name in these reviews. He's a reviewer for The Times? Whatever...
    When I kept reading here that he has a major boner for Beyond Paradise for Men I thought back to when it first came out. I worked at Macy's and I can remember smelling it because I thought the bottle was so attractive. I also remember being completely unimpressed by the scent. I saw it the other day someplace and remembered Mr. Turin's raves so I gave it another try. Paid close attention this time. I don't know. Maybe the scent had gone bad; but this stuff was awful. It smelled like rotten fruit. Or a rum punch glass that hadn't been rinsed out and a week later it's drawing flies. I mean, it wasn't even just okay. Maybe he's smelling something that I'm not. Or I'm smelling something that he isn't. It was beyond something, but it sure wasn't paradise.

23 January, 2011

Shifty Bat's avatar

A well-done fruity floral for men that has a round, juicy ripe feel to it. Very similar in effect to CK's Truth for Men but more fruit-forward and with a more sparse drydown. Certainly pleasant and made for warm weather. BP is a bit of a gender bender to me with the heavy use of flowers and tropical fruits, but coming from a guy that wears Norell and Belle en Rykiel that obviously carries no negative connotation. A great pick for easygoing people. Very nice.

20th January, 2011

Benj's avatar

I really like this, it's just incredibly uplifting. A wonderful just-ripe melon, lavender and citrus accord that is relatively linear but fluctuates some with time and becomes progressively more green and woody as time goes on, but never loses that bright, smooth positivity. The longevity is surprisingly good, too. I get a whole working day out of 2 sprays (the sprays are small on this atomiser) on each arm, and at that level I even feel a little over-perfumed for the first hour or so! At its most beautiful 2-3 hours in, I think. Excellent.

I was surprised at this one - even when my rating of a perfume has coincided with Luca Turin's, my notes often haven't, but, to me, he got this one bang on (except with the rating...I think this is very nice but I'd never call it a masterpiece).

One to wear only when the sun is shining.

16 January, 2011

RicardVonLowen's avatar

I purchased this after reading Luca Turin's review as one of the top men's fragrances. It did not blow me away and was a little disappointed. Smells like a generic aquatic/water fragrance with a bit of a twist. Not the longest lasting either. Alright in a pinch. Glad I got the 1/4 ounce bottle.

27 October, 2010

uxf's avatar

There is obviously something bizarre going on with this fragrance, probably some synthetic aromachemical that is registering wildly different sensations in people's systems. I have rarely seen such divergence not just in opinions, from Turin's top 10 accolade to the thumbs-down plurality here, but also in basic olfactory descriptions. How could the same fragrance be, as reported by various people, sickeningly sweet, and like cucumbers, and barely smellable? This really disproves Turin's thesis that we don't smell differently, we only react to smells differently.

As for myself, I don't get any fruit or sweetness. All I get is an eerie presence in the room, something powerful and perhaps unhealthy, that I can't quite locate or really smell. Like a petrochemical, or paint thinner, or cucumber that's just beyond my spectral range. Like hearing a dog-whistle. I've eaten jabuticabas and there's nothing that smells like jabuticabas here.

Which reminds me: I'm always amused by "notes" and people's reverence for them. Clearly there's nothing fixed or scientific about them. There's no jabuticaba molecule, and who knows what "Eden's mist" is. These are either a perfumer's best effort at describing the composition, or some marketing person's exercise in creative writing. Perhaps Eden's mist is that eerie, fluorescent presence I sense (which I also sense in Pleasures for Men, by the way).

Nevertheless, I'm giving it a neutral for being an interesting experience. Everyone should at least sniff this to see what they register.

14 October, 2010

Agent Betty's avatar

Beachy, fruity. I get a nice touch of lime, but too much of an overly-sweet pineapple in there for me. Would be nice on a young metrosexual man, I think (I'm a grown-up woman).

07 April, 2010