Reviews

Negative Reviews of Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I'll be honest. I hate this scent. I tried to like it, i bought it blindly off this fragrance site i regularly buy from and they had this on sale...I soon realised why. The initial smell reminded me of a nauseating bathroom air refreshner. Very florally, which usually i would love, but this was just a bit much for me. I didn't like it at all. I thought maybe after a couple of hours it would dry into something more pleasant but for me, it just didn't work.

I soon sold this on ebay and was so thankful someone else liked it enough to buy it.

I think this would appeal to ladies who enjoy a soapy clean bathroom floral refreshner smell.

The bottle design is quite lovely and girly, that i did like. It makes a nice elegant accessory on the dresser.

Notes as described by fragranceheaven.com.au:

Top notes include mandarin, rosewood, lavender, apple martini and bergamot, with heart notes of orchid and patchouli. Dry down notes combine cedar, white amber, woods and musk. It is recommended for daytime wear.
12th May, 2011
I liked this for the first week, then never touched it again and want to give it away. I don't like it. I don't think this blends well with my body chemistry. I don't even like the scent anymore. Too something that I can't quite pin -pointe.
23rd February, 2011
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but this is like the lame version of Narciso Rodriguez For Her EDP. Similar rose/musk combination but boring. None of the richness that made For Her stand out.

A "C" grade knock-off of a really great perfume...
05th October, 2010
I am fairly certain that I am anosmic to the musks used in Lovely, because I have tried two different bottles and can smell hardly anything, except for a chemically woody base that smells like cashmeran and not much else. Where is the florals and musks? Very sad, but that is not even wearable to me as I find the chemical drydown unbearable.
04th April, 2010
I'm kind of wanting to thumb this down because I CAN BARELY SMELL ANYTHING! I really can't believe it. I've doused myself with this (10 sprays) and all I smell is very faint roses and champagne. Maybe my nose is broken.
19th December, 2009
Ugh. I know what the previous reviewer meant by calling the pear "stale." Even more bothersome to me is a tangy Now & Later note that I'm guessing is the "apple martini." On me, this sour/stale accord completely drowns out anything else. All the other notes are just a vague fluffiness down at the bottom. Silage and lasting are phenomenal. Unfortunately for me, since I just can't wait to get this stuff off.
17th April, 2009
This one smells like bugspray on me. Even on paper it has a stinging bitter smell that I don't like.
I have thrown it away and dug it back out of the trash twice just because the bottle looks so pretty
on my shelf...and I keep hoping one day I will like it. I must have liked it when I bought it.....
After it's been on long enough it is subtle and pleasant but I can't stand it that long.
19th December, 2008 (last edited: 06th January, 2009)
Plainly ans simply put: This fragrance is heavy with musk, bitter to my nose, and it completely turns me away from any woman wearing it.
In a way it reminds me of an old brand we have here called "Musk Oil", which I guess was very heavy on synthetic musk... and I've always found it to be a complete turn-off, scent-wise.
Then again, chypres rarely work for me.. I just thought from the shape of the bottle and the title that it would be much softer than it really is.
I'm sorry to say, but this one is a no-go for me.
04th August, 2008
I don't get it. I was hoping for something so great and it was such a let down.
29th December, 2007
I don't get this one. It's not lovely. It stings my nose. Yuch. Cheap drugstore would be a better category. Sorry, but it's terrible.

I have to wonder what SJP was thinking when she put her name to this. They probably didn't design it for her, they just asked her to "endorse" it. Somehow, I don't think someone paying me a lot of money could make me like this fragrance. But you really don't; you just have to act like it does. So, given that info, you really have to wonder about any of these "celebrity" fragrances. Does money make you like something even though you really don't? Hmmm.....probably not. Which means...don't let the celebrity attached to the fragrance convince you to buy it. Coz chances are Ms. SJP wears Chanel or Angel or Comptoir Sud Pacifique just like the rest of us.
30th April, 2007
I was so disappointed with this one. I heard it was so amazing and I couldn't wait to try it.... What a let down, that's all I have to say.
03rd April, 2007
I just knew this was going to be a hit with me. Until I took a whiff! I was a little embarassed because as soon as I inhaled and the notes hit me...I let out a big..."EWWWW...old ladies"! The saleswoman looked at me and smiled and took the tester from my hands! I apologized as if it were her b.o. I was talking about. But I just couldn't help myself.

THAT was a let down!
28th January, 2007
Sour, gross, and overly complex. A million different florals hitting you at once. Kind of old-ladyish, in a bugspray, not classic way.
27th December, 2006
No, I hate this one.

It's oh so weak and I can barly smell it, it doesn't last at all and I just hate it so much. If your looking for a celeb fragrance please try Paris Hilton.
08th December, 2006
On me this smells like a mix of furniture polish and Jean Nate cologne. Quite possibly one of the worst things I've ever smelt. I can smell musk and lavender after the drydown, but the furniture polish smell never ever goes away.
06th December, 2006
Kotori Show all reviews
Hm... This is not lovely at all! Too musky; all I smell is musk, musk, musk. It is similar to Britney Spears' Curious in the floral/musk composition. To me, it smells a bit like sweaty Secret (yes, the deodorant). However, to be fair, my friend who loves light florals loves this.
02nd September, 2006
Just as with the patchouli blend in Aromatics, I get a sum-total of "urine" when I smell this one. Very frustrating...I *know* that I love patchouli, but not like this.
02nd April, 2006