Reviews of Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Find out more about Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

loulily's avatar

Bug spray at first, but wait! It goes away. After a few minutes it is VERY nice, the top and middle notes are so great, but the dry down was really strong on me. As the description tells you, the dry down includes patchuli, cedar, woods. For me, it was just a little too harsh, and it doesn't smell anything like the top and middle, it's almost like two different perfumes. I like to wear it, but I have to scrub toward then end. I agree that it lasts a good while, even until the next day.

18 April, 2009

= z ='s avatar

I had read that Lovely was a possible unisex fragrance. Tried it. They were right. My initial reaction was that it smells like one of my old 80's men's colognes, but I can't quite recall which. I could give this another chance, but there are so many others out there to try.

18 April, 2009

JessicaGrace's avatar

Ugh. I know what the previous reviewer meant by calling the pear "stale." Even more bothersome to me is a tangy Now & Later note that I'm guessing is the "apple martini." On me, this sour/stale accord completely drowns out anything else. All the other notes are just a vague fluffiness down at the bottom. Silage and lasting are phenomenal. Unfortunately for me, since I just can't wait to get this stuff off.

17 April, 2009

OctoberAmy's avatar

This one smells like bugspray on me. Even on paper it has a stinging bitter smell that I don't like.
    I have thrown it away and dug it back out of the trash twice just because the bottle looks so pretty
    on my shelf...and I keep hoping one day I will like it. I must have liked it when I bought it.....
    After it's been on long enough it is subtle and pleasant but I can't stand it that long.

19 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2009)

SirSlarty's avatar

I can't tell you how CUTE and "girly" this stuff smells on my girlfriend. It's nothing fancy but this is indeed her signature scent. She's never wore fragrances before but she fell in love with this at first sniff. Half of the other perfumes she wrinkled her nose in disgust.

22 September, 2008

malka_lev_adom's avatar

Plainly ans simply put: This fragrance is heavy with musk, bitter to my nose, and it completely turns me away from any woman wearing it.
    In a way it reminds me of an old brand we have here called "Musk Oil", which I guess was very heavy on synthetic musk... and I've always found it to be a complete turn-off, scent-wise.
    Then again, chypres rarely work for me.. I just thought from the shape of the bottle and the title that it would be much softer than it really is.
    I'm sorry to say, but this one is a no-go for me.

04 August, 2008

jerrycurl5's avatar

Crisp florals, luscious white musk, caressing patchouli. What's not to like? The first time I sprayed this dazzling creation I immediately wrinkled my nose in dismay. Is this what I had been waiting for? the scent of acetone and biting, rubbing alcohol. After a couple of moments the sharpness retreated and a gentle, creamy, come hither fragrance unfolded. Lovely stays with me all day, subtly and naturally. I smell musk, black pepper, all the things a clean man should smell like. Every man/woman loves this on me, and i have yet to find it smell nice on a woman.

13 June, 2008

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

It's lovely. Not as soft and fluffy as the name and advertising implies - it does have some backbone and impressive sillage. It also lasts phenomenally well on the skin and is often still there the following morning. There's a definite crispness and sparkle to the head and heart notes and it clips along like Carrie in her Manolos. There's a sass to it.

I think that's the image to hold when considering this fragrance - don't think of SJP the dancer, fashionista, Broadway actress, Mrs Matthew Broderick... think of Carrie clipping smartly down a sunny New York street in a little bitty dress and high heels, going to meet her girlfriends. It's warm, sparkling, charming and urban; it doesn't put a foot wrong.

Makes a great gift too.

27 May, 2008

Stace77's avatar

I had read an article about SJP in "Vogue" and she was very enthusiastic about her perfume which she created herself. I thought it would smell fantastic, so when I saw a sample bottle I sprayed on quite a lot. Right away I knew I didn't like it...it reminded me of the rheumatism linament my grandfather once used.
    I went around for the rest of the day stinking to the high heavens !
    There must be something wrong with SJP's nose. What woman wants to go around smelling like an elderly man ?

18 May, 2008

purplebird7's avatar

I usually avoid anything with a celebrity name, but I do acknowledge when I come across one that I like. This is one of the better "new chypres." (My favorite is Narciso Rodriguez for Her.) Lovely artfully balances the sweet and sour notes. (Nevertheless, I miss the heavy labdanum base of the "old-school chypres.") I can appreciate this new genre as long as I don't hold the two up for comparison. This one serves up a dollop of earthiness and woodiness with the florals--a standout lavendar along with an abstract bouquet-- but the patchouli is so mild that it won't scare away most women, and the vetiver and cedar never overtake the base. Why, it's almost--lovely. Yet, I sigh. Give me back my old Miss Dior.

05 May, 2008

mediterranean's avatar

Spain Spain

Similar to Narciso Rodriguez for her but softer.Nice for office wear or for a lunch with friends.Beautiful bottle too.I even like the advert with Sarah Jessica Parker as a ballet dancer,although I have never been very fond of her.So different from her other fragance , Covet!

03 April, 2008

sameasalways's avatar

I don't get it. I was hoping for something so great and it was such a let down.

29 December, 2007

maltatude's avatar

I really love this one of my best friend.

When I first smelt it I was kind of taken by it but I wasn't sure - it had a rather musky sporty kind of smell. It has grown on me a lot (perhaps because of who wears it).

If you like musk - you should like this. I agree with anyone else who has noted this also - it has a unisex appeal.

14 December, 2007

castorpollux's avatar

This fragrance took me back ages when i fist smelled it, it just so happens to smell like something else that was launched decades ago.
    This very light musky scent is all good, it's very much unisex and it has a tenacity to it that i admired for a scent that opens rather strongly but fades quickly but stays that way for a long time on the skin. It has a hint of fruits that i found very attractive, and a base of ,well, white musks and rosewood that are very comfortable.
    I will mention that Rigaud had a scent called Lovely too, but that one was more about Lily of the valley, jasmin and other flowers than musk.
    So, i have smelled this one before, give or take a few other notes, and i think i'll keep smelling it in the future thanks to its success.

29 November, 2007

lovelylavender's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

It's really nice. The mixture of lavender and musk in a soft sweet way. In fact because of this, I want to stick to the genre, the soft floral subtle perfumes.

Too bad that my friend use this and everytime I wear this, it remind me of her. Not a bad thing, but I couldn't make this as my HG perfume.

07 November, 2007

I think the opening is a bit strong. It is unique: quite a bit edgy, quite a bit sophisticated, and very much creative — one of those borderline openings that seem to shift between “Fantastic!” and “I’m not so sure.” It’s that borderline thing that typifies fragrances of complexity and character. I find the opening accord abstract (actually all the accords are abstract, as Ayala has mentioned), and I think that the rosewood is the note responsible for the uniqueness / ambiguity of the opening. Tricky stuff, that rosewood, but not as tricky as lavender. Lavender is my most variable note: I often dislike it, in some fragrances I love it, in Lovely, I’m mesmerized by it — it’s juncture with the rosewood is the genius of the top two layers of the fragrance IMO. The “Apple Martini” is responsible for the effervescence, the lemon grass is responsible for its hint of clean, but the rosewood / lavender is responsible for the creative challenge. I love the paperwhite narcissus of the heart notes — so clean and abstract; I dislike the orchid—orchid is always too strong and errrpy for me, but it is presented so…”abstractly” that I can quite overlook it. Very refined base — the most abstract of all the levels. This is a wonderful feminine fragrance, and this IS a fragrance men love.

15 October, 2007

Indie_Guy's avatar

I know a woman that works with me who wears this and I really enjoy it. It's a little strange at first, but I like women to wear proper perfume and not just body-shop lotion smelling crap all the time, so on the occasion that she wears this, I just enjoy it.

From a male perspective, just know that men find this an attractive smell on a woman. I see some thumbs down for this one but I have to disagree. This one pushes my buttons.

24 May, 2007

Oriental Muse's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

I am not surprised with the reaction from most people about this perfume. I've tried it before and the acrid smell almost reminded me of burnt skin, but of coz, the chemical in me is really tricky.

However, surprisingly, my mother bought a bottle for herself and it smells gorgeous on her. I couldnt stop complimenting her infact. I guess the compliments worked fine for me coz she bought me the perfume's body lotion despite of my pessimism. This was another surprise, it turns out that it smells a whole lot better on me than the edp version.

I had infact gotten a few compliments each time I've applied the lotion on me. Interesting eh?

13 May, 2007

pookerella's avatar

I don't get this one. It's not lovely. It stings my nose. Yuch. Cheap drugstore would be a better category. Sorry, but it's terrible.

I have to wonder what SJP was thinking when she put her name to this. They probably didn't design it for her, they just asked her to "endorse" it. Somehow, I don't think someone paying me a lot of money could make me like this fragrance. But you really don't; you just have to act like it does. So, given that info, you really have to wonder about any of these "celebrity" fragrances. Does money make you like something even though you really don't? Hmmm.....probably not. Which means...don't let the celebrity attached to the fragrance convince you to buy it. Coz chances are Ms. SJP wears Chanel or Angel or Comptoir Sud Pacifique just like the rest of us.

30th April, 2007

ldiprenda's avatar

I was so disappointed with this one. I heard it was so amazing and I couldn't wait to try it.... What a let down, that's all I have to say.

03 April, 2007

julie-madam's avatar

This perfume, like the name, is indeed a "lovely" floral/musk with decent staying power. Unfortunately, it's a little too "nice girl" for me...I prefer something edgier. Try it, though--it's very pretty.

17 March, 2007

ErynnsMomi's avatar

I just knew this was going to be a hit with me. Until I took a whiff! I was a little embarassed because as soon as I inhaled and the notes hit me...I let out a big..."EWWWW...old ladies"! The saleswoman looked at me and smiled and took the tester from my hands! I apologized as if it were her b.o. I was talking about. But I just couldn't help myself.

THAT was a let down!

28 January, 2007

arabesque's avatar

Sour, gross, and overly complex. A million different florals hitting you at once. Kind of old-ladyish, in a bugspray, not classic way.

27 December, 2006

TDDanae's avatar

I didn't expect to like this one and it really is not my type, but it does have a beautiful smell to it. I would highly recommend it to someone a little less stuck in their ways than me.

10th December, 2006

thisbekevinn's avatar

No, I hate this one.

It's oh so weak and I can barly smell it, it doesn't last at all and I just hate it so much. If your looking for a celeb fragrance please try Paris Hilton.

08 December, 2006

luckylouie's avatar

On me this smells like a mix of furniture polish and Jean Nate cologne. Quite possibly one of the worst things I've ever smelt. I can smell musk and lavender after the drydown, but the furniture polish smell never ever goes away.

06 December, 2006

Heidi's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Love this one and wish to obtain it very soon! Wanted to say that it's similar to Narcisso Rodriguez but I've seen that Ayala allready remarked this. Lovely though!

04 December, 2006

Dicey's avatar

I recived this scent as a graduation gift from my mother after exclaiming how much I I loved it on my best friend. However, It seemes to smell much heavier on my skin than hers. In the case of this scent its a case by case basis, it either smells good on you, or it dosen't. I still wear it, but only at night. It too heavy for daytime use.

04 November, 2006

lavenderose's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Let's just say that I had higher expectations from SJP as I am a HUGE fan of SATC. This fragrance was undeinably pleasant but certainly unremarkable as well.

25 October, 2006

SnowRose's avatar

I expected to like this scent much more than I did. Initially, it was nice. Pleasant, but not particurally spectacular. However, the dry down on my skin was musk, musk, and more musk. There were no hints of other scents at all. It smelled like a one-dimensional men's scent. I might try it on a few guys...

17 October, 2006