Reviews of Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Find out more about Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

lefay's avatar

Having read Chandler Burr's piece in the NY Times about the making of Lovely, I was expecting something slightly daring and exotic and was disappointed when I actually sampled it. It's got a bit of fizz in the opening, an unusual floral accord (not too sweet, at least), and then musk, musk, musk. I wish SJP had ignored the marketing people and launched the mysterious, sultry fragrance she'd concocted for her own use by mixing three separate scents together. Maybe her next fragrance will be more compelling.

11th October, 2006

Ayala's avatar

Lovely is everything a celebrity scent wants to be, but more than that: it’s not only popular and fits beautifully with the character of the woman who created it, but also – it is original and oh so chic. It might just be the first interesting celebrity perfume since, say Denevue (by Catherine Deneuve). If I missed something along the way, please let me know.

The first thing that strikes me about Lovely is the unusual use of lavender and patchouli in such a light hearted context. This was no tutti-frutti fragrance as you may expect judging by the hundreds of perfumes (even more so with celebrity and drugstore fragrances) released recently. It had an original, elegantly rough edge to it. Lovely is modern chic, sharp like clean-cut like a tailored suit, yet flowing like a satin gown. It’s prettied-up only by an ornamental fabric rose - and more importantly, the bright smile of the person who wears it. Despite the fact that it does have florals, it is not floral in the traditional sense of the word. You don’t think of flowers when you wear lovely. If anything at all, you think of textures and fabrics such as crepe and linen and dull, brushed silk.

Now, about a year after its release, my patience to hold off a purchase has paid off: a new version has been just released. It’s the same fragrance, only based in an alcohol-free, silicone-based medium, and titled “Lovely Liquid Satin”. And liquid satin it is indeed. This formulation allows for a softer presence without the alcohol that usually interferes with the top notes, and also the bottle is truly lovely – a frosted, light pink hued bottle, or a golden “perfume wand” – a roll on of 30ml that fits into any purse or pocket. I am a big believer in small packaging for perfumes, so I was sold quickly on this one.

The opening of both formulations is a heady and clean, crisp mélange of rosewood, lavender and apple martini. The apple martini note is brilliant. It really adds an unusually vivid, effervescent quality to the opening and thankfully lacks the mustiness that some other apple scents uphold.* It’s boozy only in an elegant way – like sipping on the cocktail to appreciate the flavour, without getting drunk.

The Liquid Satin has a slightly different opening, in which I can detect top notes of lemongrass (which I do not smell in the alcohol based fragrance), which is sharp and grassy, but thankfully fades out rather quickly. The patchouli note is also more pronounced at the opening. I have a feeling that this silicone based version is more true to the original concoction by Ms. Parker. It just has that authentic impression of a perfume enthusiast blending scents together that will bear her own character.

The heart notes are abstract florals – orchids and paper whites. Paper whites are not fancy silken paper sheets as I was almost lead to believe, but rather refer to a flower from the narcissi family - Narcissus tazetta. I can’t say that I smell narcissus in there, but there is a light floral impression that is hard to describe. As I said – abstract.

These soft, ethereal florals bridge into an even more abstract base of highly processed patchouli (dry and clean rather than earthy and musty), amber and musk – together resulting in an effect that is very close to the skin. An original, clean musk skin scent, subtly surrounding the wearer with a mystifying aura that is clean and pleasant. I prefer the Liquid Satin over the alcohol based formulation. Although the scent is essentially the same, this version is softer and even more subtle.

Lovely has been compared often to Narciso Rodriguez, and while I agree that they are very similar, I still think of Lovely as an original fragrance. These are both light musk scents, very modern and abstract, with a suggestive floral heart, and an effervescent, boozy opening. But Lovely has a certain dry, almost rough edge to it that makes it stand apart and prevents it from looking like an imitation of Narciso Rodriguez (which I intend on reviewing very soon).

Celebrities and their scents come and go, but there is something about Lovely that makes me want it to stay. And if it wouldn’t stick around forever, I am certain it would be talked about and missed and longed for much like other old favourites that have disappeared into the abyss of discontinuation.

Top notes: Rosewood, Apple Martini, Lavender, Madarin, Lemongrass
    Heart notes: Paperwhites, Orchid,
    Base: Patchouli, Cedar, White Amber, Musk

28th September, 2006

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

I'm not usually a fan of chypres, but this I really like! It's very versatile and can go from the office to a night out easily, and could be worn in all seasons. Will definitely be a staple of mine.

10th September, 2006

Kotori's avatar

Hm... This is not lovely at all! Too musky; all I smell is musk, musk, musk. It is similar to Britney Spears' Curious in the floral/musk composition. To me, it smells a bit like sweaty Secret (yes, the deodorant). However, to be fair, my friend who loves light florals loves this.

02nd September, 2006

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Lovely is a very special frag. It is always right, can be worn at all occations, every day, at work, at partys, and also when one want to make a serious impression. I think Lovely is a clever, an intelligent frag with great personality! There is no vanilla in it, so it is, IMO, very suitable to layer above other frags, witch opens up very many new frag-possibilitys. I hope this one stays on being popular, so it don´t disappeare from the stores after a year or two.

26th August, 2006

christykat's avatar

Very nice. This is another one of those scents that men will love on you because it's not too sweet (like Euphoria by Calvin Klein or Chance by Chanel). I like it, but my fiancé really, really likes it. I wouldn't make it "my scent", but it's great for days when I'm feeling energetic and bold.

29th May, 2006

AlthaeaSoaps's avatar

Just as with the patchouli blend in Aromatics, I get a sum-total of "urine" when I smell this one. Very frustrating...I *know* that I love patchouli, but not like this.

02nd April, 2006

Tovah's avatar

I've come so, so close to buying this, and I'm surprised that I don't own it yet. Unfortunately every time I've tried it I've gotten a raging headache, so I'm afraid something in Lovely causes it. I'm not ready to give up on Lovely yet, though. Lovely is often compared to Narciso Rodriguez For Her (I own NR edp) but they're not very similar on my skin. On me, Lovely has a clean patchouli base and bright notes of fresh lavender flowers and apple schnapps. The lasting power is terrific, and this fragrance feels classy. It may just be worth the headache!

25th March, 2006

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

I agree, one of the best of 2005.
    Though I don't find the name "Lovely" to match the composition very well. It's much more "Daring" than sweet and lovely. It has this rose-patchouli note which reminds me of L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses but also the musky rose from Maroc by Ultima II.
    Quite daring too for Coty to have chosen a chypre composition for a product with a mainstream target.
    Lovely is the best celebrity fragrance with Elizabeth Taylor's Passion (Yes! I can see your eyes rolling) IMHO.

23rd March, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

Lovely is fantastic! The individual notes of this blend are all very subtle. I might say it's casually sophisticated. Appropriate for ANY occasion, I find this to be wearable by the masses. (Women & Men) Delicate fruit notes blend effortlessly into muted florals - which include lavender - AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - drydown elicits the slightest patchouli layered with the perfect notes of musk and cedarwood. Not a single note is overdone - the entire evolution is clean & clear. BTW I have not detected any vanilla in this arrangement. Exquisitely done!

19th March, 2006

chaelaran1008's avatar

Love the fizz in this fragrance, keeps it energised and uplifting. The scent of Lovely reminds me of the Lush bath bomb 'Big Blue' which I adore also.

14th March, 2006

helenann's avatar

I also (at 61) find this so easy to wear, is really just "lovely", not sweet, but light, with a bite of sophistication. Always uplifting. So pleased I found this and purchased immediately upon trying!

09th February, 2006

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar

This certainly lives up to it's name. A very femminine floral scent for all types of women. Every note layer smells gorgeous too. Although there are a lot of other scents which have the same ingredients, this one manages to be distinct and individual. It's hard to dislike it.

06th February, 2006

totalparfumlove's avatar

It was ok...I personally thought it was just a little bland. But the day i smelt it well, i had smelt a few perfumes before it, so it could have been good. But i remember it didn't smell that great.

16th January, 2006

scenteur7's avatar

I LOVE this! Yes, ok, so the bottle is very girly, as is the name, but the fragrance is a patchouli and white musk mix that is absolutely addictive. If either of these notes interest you, then u gotta try it. One of the best releases of 2005!

30th October, 2005

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

I have to admit that at first LOVELY is not at all what I'd expected! I guess I was thinking it would smell flowery, connecting Sarah Jessica Parker to it and her pink tutu's. Having said that, I think Lovely is a 100 times better than I thought it could ever be. Lovely is definitely a scent for a confident woman, it's not frilly or girly smelling (this is what I thought it would be however, and was very pleasantly surprised when I found out that it's not!). It's intoxicating and alluring and has a power of its own. The lasting/staying power is just remarkable, but the best part is that it only smells better and better as the day goes on and the fragrance mixes with your own chemistry. One of my favorites! I guess SJP really knows what she wanted when she was assisting in making this potion. Oh and it's really unlike anything else that's on the market right now, especially as far as the newer fragrances go!

21st October, 2005

blondy6768's avatar

I am 55 and hardly the Sex in the City Stereotype. I think this is a wonderfrul new fragrance!! There are Hundreds of fragrances to choose from today and 99% of them smell alike. This one is soft, femine and not to over powering--I applaud the maker of this wonderful perfume!!!

30th July, 2005