Reviews of True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger

Find out more about True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

The opening is a mix of a reasonable grapefruit with a steely-metallic fresh impression. In the drydown I get liquorice, but is quite faint, as is the rather generic wood note in the base; towards the end a slim vanilla emerges, which is o limited sweetness. Limited projection and poor silage on my skin, but the longevity is quite decent at around five hours.
    Interesting opening but a bit dull from then on.

11th July, 2014

jagmartini's avatar

Discovered this scent many years ago. I think this is one of the scents that Hilfiger got right. Very aquatic and leathery smelling to me which seems to be a unique combination. Smells good on cool days and warm nights. As picky as my wife is about the colognes I wear she likes this one.

23rd March, 2012

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I always was verry fond of this scent, I never got around to buy it mainly becouse of the fact that most people in my city used this at the time. I'd discribe this scent as "Le Male but better done". Weird I know but thats what came to my mind when I first tried it.

17th October, 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar

Oh how much ones nose can change. The first time I smelled this it smelled like watermelon and cucumber. A generic fresh aquatic. I questioned myself, did I smell this? Or maybe it was Tommy 10?

Regardless, I am glad I picked this guy up. At Walmart for 20 bucks I got a 2 pack of 1 oz bottles -- True Star and Tommy. Tommy is a high school classic scent to me. True Star is different, and along with Tommy, it's very unique for a designer fragrance.

The TH house doesn't get much attention, but this fragrance deserves it. It's niche-like. It's very woodsy yet also very aquatic. The "wet notes" are definitley there. The top is a combination of woods and anise. Or perhaps it's licorice. I'd say anise though, since it smells more vegetable like, and dirty. Result: mulch. Yes it smells like freshly chipped mulch. It stays pretty linear, with the combo of mulch and wet notes. A nice sharper cedar or sandalwood comes in in the dry down.

An excellent modern woodsy scent. Great bang for the buck. Niche quality. I would love to know the perfumer behind this one, because he/she/they knocked this one out of the ball park.

27th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2012)

UrbanMan's avatar

I do not agree with the statement that this is for 18-35s. I'd add half a dozen years to the lower, and ten or more to the upper end. Maybe that's what happens with all men's fragrances, over time there is age migration, because the fickle young and cool wannabes move on to the next new thing. A fragrance has to grab a non super-young audience, or die.

I like the instant clean grapefruit/sweet lemony element, there might even be a very slight trace of warm honey also, and this instant element mix has some staying power. After a time, a wet leathery, black liquorice emerges without being overpowering. This mixed nicely with the sweet first wave. There is ultimately a whiff that, indeed, as someone else hinted at, hits a bit like laundry water with fresh scent detergent in it.

I don't perceive the advertised sandalwood, which is completely fine by me, because too many men's scents these days are too musky/woody. True Star is a nice anti-wood option.

The scent is not strong, so I'd apply near sweat glands, the side of the neck, or toward the front opening of a v-neck or buttoned shirt. I'm looking forward to wearing this one on a sunny day next Spring, as I think it may be most suitable for Spring/Summer.

10th November, 2009

dynastyd95's avatar

This is one of the most unique smelling colognes. Its hard to describe. The initial blast is a blend of licorice and some boozy accord kind of like a pleasant/ light whiskey with some aquatic and citrus mixed in. It is pretty linear but it does dry down to a more warm scent as the vanilla and saffron kind of takes over. There's also something about this that reminds me of the smell of a a clean leather jacket. Overall, I love it. I just wish it had better silage and longevity. Thumbs up

23rd February, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Doesn't last at all and I tried all kinds of ways. Initial reaction was a transparent sour anice with a metallic aquatic accord. Like a true American rock singer, only good for one hit and all others are just faded memories of past glory.

27th July, 2008

Splash61's avatar

This is one of my favorites. It's kind of weird b/c you have to spritz it just right to make it smell its best, otherwise it disappears really fast. When you do, it lasts pretty much all day and it'll keep you smelling really clean. There's a note in it somewhere that smells kind of like laundry hanging out to dry, and it rounds it out really nicely. It's best for warmer days and summer time.

26th April, 2008

That first blast is a real assault weapon: It’s chaotic, but it does settle down very quickly; I’m not even pestered during the remainder of the fragrance. I don’t care for that opening or the top notes as a whole – I find the whole top accord synthetic as compared to the grapefruit / aquatic notes in several other fragrances I’ve tried. The settling down of the fragrance is taken a little too far – it becomes another one of the modern mass market ones that are much too weak IMO. I do get a hint of licorice in the middle notes – extremely light with nothing else going on, seemingly. I don’t pick up the orris at all – if it’s there, it’s not powdery. MMM is right about the saffron from the base: Although I don’t usually care for saffron in a fragrance, this one is well-done. True Star doesn’t last, which makes it very much like its typical competition. It’s a mediocre fragrance and, besides the saffron remark, about the best thing I can say about it is that it isn’t annoying.

18th October, 2007

jdnba's avatar

This is gonna sound crazy but her goes...I used to teach swim lessons and the 2 year old girl i was teaching threw up her trix cereal on me because she freaked out and gulped some pool water...getting there...the initial blast smells just like that..thrown up trix with a dash of pool water. Crazy huh? Let it sit and it becomes real nice...inoffensive, nothingness.

03rd June, 2007

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

This I like. the initial whif is kinda messy and all over the place, but the dry down is very nice. the drydown is kind of a blue scent but it is unlike any blue out there and it really doesn't smell like cologne, just a very clean unobtrusive inoffensive scent. Great for office wear in my opinion or just for a long day.

19th May, 2007

lespritz's avatar

Smells just like a leather jacket to me too. Needs better longevity. They should release an Eau De Cologne version that's more powerful.

20th October, 2006 (Last Edited: 25th September, 2010)

Stuffman's avatar

This one is interesting on my skin- basically, it just smells like wet bamboo stalks, but in a good way. The other notes don't really ever show up as I'd expect. Sometimes I can make out hints of them (the saffron most of all), but the wet bamboo is always there. It's actually quite nice on a really, really hot day, but otherwise, it's pretty forgetable.

14th June, 2006

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Actually a decent rendition of saffron lurking inside this one, with pretty boy Iglesias gracing the cheapo packaging. Overall synthetic and messy and hardly worth a purchase (although it's really inexpensive) but the saffron in the opening is really nice, better than for instance the one found in Armani Mania.

15th March, 2006

yeye's avatar

I really didn't want to like True Star because of the whole ENRIQUE thing. That being said, I threw away the box with his mug on it a.s.a.p. and I love it. I think it is crisp and smells like freshly showered skin. I was very ify about it but a few days went by and I kept going back and spraying on samples of this. The wear time isn't terribly long but better than some scents out there. Just got a bottle the other day,...I'm hooked. I've been a Tommy snob for so long until TRUE STAR.

25th February, 2006

Innocence's avatar

This fragrance hints on spice; though spice is not in the composition. The obvious references to pop culture will definately be a selling point for the cologne (ie. Enrique, the microphone-shaped-bottle, the guitar-shaped-blotting-paper provided at department stores)... The initial smell is rather putrid; however, once the scent settles in, it is rather good! Kudos to the designers...

22nd January, 2006

skfrmgrl's avatar

My immediate reaction brought to mind the scent of new leather (unsure as to why?). The fresh crisp fragrance is not easily forgotten. I was pleasantly surprised how the scent did not dramatically alter as many fragrances do when worn for a while. I am very pleased with this purchase.

19th January, 2006

Hypnotize's avatar

It's a nice cologne that smells great, but the first faze of the scent is kind of “wet” and not so pleasant in my opinion, but as the scent settles on your skin it smells great. I just bought it today, so I can't really comment on how long it lasts, but I think it's quite long, because I can still smell the little spray I did on my wrist at the store about two hours ago.

02nd January, 2006

iMaverick's avatar

UGH! I do like how it opens like an laudry fresh smell, but then it becomes sweet-fresh, irritatingly so, borderline headache (I wonder if it's the synthetics?). Then finally, I was surprised to smell it's fougere base. If the base was at the heart of this frag, I would've given this a nod of approval.

19th November, 2005

jasong9573's avatar

Finally a new cologne that doesn't smell like something I have already smelled; it seems original. Good call Tommy camp. It is clean and fresh from the top notes, but hard to describe after that. You just have to whiff for yourself. I don't see it as an oriental scent though as one said in another review.

15th October, 2005

ilnaso's avatar

A rich but mild addition to the Tommy line. The enrique iglesias tie-in is obnoxious but the fragrance is nice. A little too light for my tastes, which is odd considering the vanilla, sandalwood, and orris ingredients. Not very long lasting either but a more sophisticated option than the original Tommy

11th October, 2005

chris2005's avatar

A light cologne, (like so many out there.) But there's something about this one that hits me. The smell is really addicting to me for some reason. I can't quite place why, but I really like it. Thought about buying it, but figured that within months this will reek in schools and businesses everywhere, so I decided on something else. But I do recommend it.

01st October, 2005

dallasconundrum's avatar

Just picked up a bottle of this today so I can't really comment on staying power in different situations. However, I do like the scent it reminds me a lot of a more lemony (less well balanced) version of Dunhill Man which I think is a superb fragrance. So if you like dunhill man but are looking for something less expensive this is worth a look.

11th August, 2005

richie23's avatar

Good bottle. Great notes. A unique oriental-type fragrance full of eastern spices. Thank God it's not another citrus like the original. I think this one will do quite well. It's sophisticated and interesting from an aficionado's point of view but still not so bold as to offensive or hard to sell. This one is a definite winner.

04th August, 2005

juan's avatar

tops no doubt about it just smell so clean and those wet notes hit the spot just right for texas wearher a perfect 10.

01st August, 2005

Informer's avatar

Not bad if you like light and rounded scents for summer, or even a quick romp in the day. Although a good scent, not suitable for formal events in the least, unless you're going to your high school's Homecoming.

Give a bit to settle on your skin, because the first impression I've had, and most people I know is that there is an odd punchy-ness behind the scent. Don't let this scare you off, however, because it is a good scent overall.

29th July, 2005