Reviews

Positive Reviews of Styx by Coty

A great early Coty (1911) that remains a rarity and one embraced by lovers of early chypres.

Barbara Herman describes it as "moody and dark." It is that! This is one of those scents based almost entirely on base notes with just a few lighter ones to make it waft.

There is orris, vanilla and carnation here immediately perceptible, but the breakdown is as follows:

Top: Bergamot, Carnation, Ylang, Galbanum
Heart: Orris, Olibanum, Violet
Base: Amber, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Benzoin, Musk, Oakmoss

Originally marketed as "The fragrance of subtle, mysterious, haunting personalities," it is rumored that Garbo wore it. Need I say more.

Discontinued in its original formulation in 1946, reformulated in a light parfum de toilette version only in 1951. This reformulation was discontinued in 1961.

One of the great early Cotys and to be treasured.
24th June, 2015
I just acquired a vintage 1 oz. bottle of Coty Styx EDT that arrived by mail today. Frrom the design of the bottle I would say that it's from the l940's. Before it arrived I had been looking all over the internet for information about the composition of this scent, but was unable to find any. After I applied it it was immediately familiar and It drove me crazy for most of the day trying to figure out what it was that it reminded me of. Then I realized what it was: Worth's Dans La Nuit. However Styx preceeded Dans La Nuit by 12 years. I applied Dans La Nuit to one wrist and Styx to the other and they were indeed very similar. However, where Dans La Nuit was cool, Styx was warmer and less powdery. at some point during the scent's progressiion it started to remeind me of Guerlain's Vol de Nuit.and like Vol de Nuit, Styx definitely features notes of galbanum, iris, violet, amber and oakmoss. In the end I would say that this is a cross between Dans La Nuit and Vol de Nuit. Styx EDT is relatively long lasting and is worth nabbing the perfume if you ever happen upon it.
18th March, 2010