Reviews of Escada by Escada

Find out more about Escada by Escada in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

exciter76's avatar

Escada 2005 could be the separated-at-birth twin of Victoria’s Secret’s discontinued gem, Very Sexy 2. There’s less sweetness and the juice here is blue, asserting an upscale aquatic vibe, but they are essentially twins. This is great for fans—such as me—of one of the last of VS’s fragrance creations, before they traded in daring sophistication for cocktail cacophonic ‘fumes of late. Come to think of it, Escada could be accused of casting the same fate to their collection, too.

I’m not a fan of chypres but this is a pleasantly calm one. It’s not bombastic like most chypres that come to mind, but it has staying power comparable to any classic one, like Aromatics Elixir or Magie Noire. The sillage and projection are subdued for a chypre but it lets the wearer’s friends and acquaintances know you are wearing something lightly floral and somewhat leafy. Speaking of leafy, this is cassia-laden (and I love me some cassia). The blue color implies this is a weak, watery summer scent but Escada is perfect for any weather, any time of day or night.

If more chypres were like this I’d be a bigger fan of them.

17 May, 2012

Kittycat63's avatar

I absolutely LOVE this perfume. On British perfume sites it's known as Escada Signature, so it's slightly confusing that it seems to have a different name in America and some other countries!

Anyway, it's a wonderful perfume. Very classy smelling, light, fresh, clean and sexy at the same time. It also lasts on me for ages. It's entirely different to some of the other Escada perfumes, such as Magnetism, which tend to be very sweet and, to me, cheap smelling! My sister who, like me, is fussy about perfumes also loves this perfume.

The packaging of this perfume is also very nice. The bottle is simple and classy and the perfume is a lovely sea green color!

This gets a massive thumbs up from me!

18 February, 2011

The_Entity's avatar

Im disappointed with this one, attractive packaging, but doesnt last 5 seconds on my skin :(

27 March, 2010

Lisle's avatar

Buying this cured me of having to buy something in a duty free rather than wanting to. I bought this before I realised that perfume manufacturers changed ingredients because I used to have this maybe 15 years ago and there was nothing else that I wanted. The initial few moments are enough like the original then it's just horrid. A bit like those nasty fakes you can get on market stalls.

12 April, 2009

kitty meow's avatar

Escada (2005) is sweet & pretty but not a fave of mine. I applied it just 1 hr ago & I can barely smell it now. Hey, but it has a nice bottle & cool cap. It's a no for me.

16 December, 2008

margi's avatar

England England

This is not one of my faves as it doesn't seem to make any statement at all. Very nondescript cucumber citrus and melon type frag. Pleasant to wear after a shower, but it is way too ordinary for me to wear even to work. Longevity also not great. Not unpleasant, just not at all memorable.

30th April, 2007

fivepastthree's avatar

Presuming that this is the fragrance that is sold in the pale gren/white glittery packaging, then this took over from Burberry London as my favourite scent when I received it as a Christmas present in 2005. It it a lovely, fresh, delicate fragrance; I want to describe it as having "pale" fruity and floral scents; it's a fairly subtle perfume. It possibly reminds me of the fragrance of certain baby products; perhaps oil or talcum powder or something. I once left my scarf at my boyfriend's friend's house; when my boyfriend returned it to me, his friend's mother had asked him to ask me what this fragrance was, as it was the best she had ever smelt. Perfume compliments are lovely :-) One thing about this perfume that I can't say about others is that I am unable to recognise it on other people. A friend once wore it and I had to ask what she was wearing, hoping that I was about to discover a new and wonderful fragrance, only to find that she was wearing the same as me. I am yet to find a scent that pleases me as much as this one does.

29 April, 2007

shellygilbert's avatar

I got a sample of this at a local shop and instantly fell in love! This is the best smelling perfume! Its definetly a grown up perfume, not at all like the fruit punch-y fragrances that I'm used to from Escada. This will certainly be on my "buy a bottle" list.

14 October, 2006

justsade's avatar

Trinidad and Tobago Trinidad and Tobago

I have to say that this is a very nice scent if you like "perfume-y" fragrances. It smells very much like the typical perfume department down here in sunny Florida, with prominent cucumber and citrusy notes.
    While it has a good lasting power, it is a bit on the strogn side for me.

31st August, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

Escada is overflowing with notes of every kind - fruit, flower, water, earth, green, woods, musk...it really smells like the perfume department! Somehow, after the drydown there is a strange reminiscence of Anne Klein II...if you choose to wear this 'loaded' fragrance - please go lightly!

30th April, 2006

PikakeGirl's avatar

This new Escada is quite nice-- I live in Hawaii and many times it's way too humid to wear anything heavy or "perfume-y", especially in the daytime. It is definitely not like the "Island Kiss" or "Rockin' Rio" type Escadas. This is a more grown-up Escada, if you will. After the citrusy/fruity opening fades, what I'm left with is a nice, "neutral", eau fraiche-type scent. And it lasts. This is a good one for work or a day on the road.

11th April, 2006

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar

This smells just like fresh cucumber and sea salt with a hint of florals. It's a combination I'm not very keen on.

It's advertised as smelling like "crushed diamonds" in some magazines I've read. I suppose they've captured that well in that it's fresh, light and sparkling. It might be nice to wear in the summer as it's refreshing.

However, I find this scent disappointing. It's weak and watery and so unlike a lot of the other Escada scents. This one desn't seem to fit in with the brand that's well known for it's fruity and sweet fragrances.

28 February, 2006

totalparfumlove's avatar

This smelt good. I really liked it. It had a great sporty summer scent and it was a lot of fun. You can really smell the orange in it and I enjoyed it a lot!!

09 January, 2006

Princess_Jime's avatar

If you live in warm climates (like I do= venezuela) you can never be thankful enough for the amount of light, clean, refreshing perfume availability in the market, specially considering that mayor houses only sell those kinds of scent in other countries' summertime. Having said that, I love this new Escada:
    Top notes: bergamot, black currant,leafy greens, the cucumber is although almost unperceptible appreciated, and italian lemon.
    Middle notes: petals of magnolia, jasmine, muguet, rose, and orange blossom.
    Base notes: amber, musk, nectarine, vanilla, and patchouli.
    When I wear this perfume, say midday, on a busy street, on the beach, or at home, I (and the people around me) feel light and airy, just what you need to ease the difficulties of everyday life.

27 December, 2005

castorpollux's avatar

So is it a light floral? not really. is it aquatic? not really. is it summery? hmmm is it i gues it is ... I could not make anything out from this scent other than it's one of the nicest green-blue-cristal-clear scents out there. Now why is that? because for example, in a tropical country, this is heavenly. to wear this in the fall or in winter? what's the use? It's too fresh for it. Some think it might be generic but i have tested many many in a similar "line" and this stands out everytime. Maybe it's because it's an eau de parfum instead of an eau de toilette. At least it's not another special edition that escada likes to make every year and that adds little to their collections. This one is a winner just cause it's lovely, clean and classy compared to others is the same line. if you like this one you might also like VanC&Arpels's Hiver, even if they are different , they both share a blueish aura scent for the ones who like water and air and all things clear-blue that i like so much.

10th December, 2005

calchic's avatar

It's interesting to see where Escada has gone with its fragrances over the past decade and a half, culminating in this new signature scent that has just come out in summer 2005. Gone are the extremely rich and saturated compositions behind the exotic uber-floriental Escada by Margaretha Ley and the tantalizing ambrosia-kissed cola, tonka and sandalwood of Collection. Ever since the company started turning its new launches progressively lighter and less intense - Sentiment, Magnetism, the feather-light fruity annual limited editions - it's become clear they're trying to distance themselves from their old, rather heavily gilded late 80s-early 90s image. And while I fully understand the need for a brand to evolve and stay relevant, unfortunately this fragrance is just TOO generic and like a gazillion other things out there. The Escada folks should have quit while ahead with something like Magnetism, because this new signature scent is plain old wishy-washy, nice and all but really without any kind of definition whatsoever. I've sampled it extensively and have to say it's the first Escada I won't be buying; I'm already up to my eyeballs with all the aqueous-fruity, lightly floral, clean, refreshing scents I could ever want. The market hardly needs another. I just find it really disappointing, to the point where I feel nearly nostalgic for the days back when Escada by Margartha Ley nearly asphyxiated me a few times with its extreme headiness! The notes for this new launch include bergamot, black currant, greens, cucumber, lemon, sea breeze accord, freesia, honeydew, magnolia, jasmine, muguet, rose, ornage blossom, peony, amber, musk, nectarine, vanilla, orris, patchouli, sandalwood.

23 September, 2005