Reviews

Reviews of Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

Fruity-minty metallic fizziness, translucent soapiness, azure water, crystal and glass, a sparkling fruity cocktail, with a subtle, sophisticated sort of “synthetic leather chair” feel. The smell of cold metal, rubber, fresh air. Both formally gentle, and almost arrogant with its cold cutting sharpness, especially at the beginning. What instantly got my attention here is that Z by Zegna manages to stay connected to a certain type of “middle class mainstream” references, which in the end would be, I guess, more or less aligned to Zegna's customers' world, while smelling almost avantgarde, decidedly “niche” and different enough from other similar designer scents: it smells sharp, crisp, minimalistic, “cold” and synthetic, but by no means “cheap” or generic – not at all. If that makes sense, on the contrary it smells “high quality synthetic”. Both for the quality and the creativity involved. An azure-black scent: if you take a look at the bottle, that’s the perfect visual depiction of the fragrance. Glass, azure water, grey metal, black rubber. This may be classified as a fruity-spicy-woody aquatic scent, as it basically seems composed by tart citrus notes, something fruity and bittersweet like apple or blackcurrant, soft woods, sharp spices, green notes and a very hint of patchouli; surely on the “fresh & office-safe” mainstream side, but this doesn’t prevent it to be classy and above all, something on its own creativity-wise. It does not really remind me of anything else, and I quite disagree about considering this a copycat of Aqua di Giò or similar fragrances. It clearly belongs to that same family in broad terms, but this doesn’t make it a redundant blatant copy. While the concept of “sport/aquatic/office-fresh” fragrance is surely involved, in my opinion Z by Zegna sits actually quite away from most other fragrances of those genres. It conveys those clichés, but in a unique way – colder, fruitier, sharper, with a really peculiar feel of “icy futuristic elegance”. It smells sophisticated, formal and sporty at once, cold and synthetic yet somehow slightly “warm” in a really natural way – the warmth of lukewarm crystal water and sea breeze. This "warm" feature will emerge clearly on the drydown, more centered on extremely subtle dusty-powdery-woody notes. Kind of yuppie, a bit light and a bit too linear to be entirely compelling, but in my opinion surely fascinating and more than pleasant to wear.

7-7,5/10
01st May, 2015
Z Zegna is one of my all time favorite summer colognes. It smells very fresh and clean. It is perfect for "casual Friday" at the office or just for general daytime wear. It is perfect for the hot and humid climate we have in South Florida. I get many compliments when I wear it. It lasts a long time on me.
23rd May, 2014
Alternate Aquatic

If that sea of aquatics is too long a list,

Here's one worth trying, a definite twist.

To clean, fresh and fruity, add citrus and tart,

Enough of a difference to set it apart.

Lithe and linear, projection's not strong,

But for summertime pleasure, it sings it's own song.

18th June, 2013
This was my first real fragrance. In middle school, everyone loved it on me, and no one else owned it.
I recently bought it again to see if it held the same charm.
It's definitely not me, anymore, but it's not awful. It's interesting to note they've changed the front of the bottle. The current bottle design has a silver "Z" next to the Zegna, as opposed to the original design where Zegna was superimposed on a large white "Z".

It opens with bergamot and... something fruity and tart, but within minutes I'm getting oakmoss and iris. By the end of the first hour, though, it's just patchouli and spice.

If you're looking for something that's just slightly different than what everyone else is wearing, here it is. As unoffensive as possible, but also not spectacular or even particularly noteworthy.
25th January, 2013
Z Zegna is a mix of 3 fragrances: Acqua Di Gio, Cool Water, and F by Ferragamo. The opening is a tart citrus fruity combination of ADG and CW that smells great without being aquatic. From the mid to the dry own it becomes spicier with the pepper and nutmeg. Once it hits the dry down the patchouli and woods come in and it resembles F by Ferragamo. Not as sweet and more natural smelling. This is really an overlooked and fantastic summer and spring fragrance.
27th December, 2012 (last edited: 05th April, 2015)
I know it’s simple and I know it’s fairly linear, but there’s just something so nice and refreshing about this fragrance that I can’t stop smelling my arm when I’m wearing it!

Even though it looks and is presented like many other ‘aqua’ style fragrances, there is something a little fruity and tart about Z that distinguishes it from the rest of the bunch. After about an hour I also get a noticeable but faint spicy menthol type vibe from this which keeps the freshness kicking for a few hours.

It’s certainly not an outstanding fragrance, but its easy wearability has seen it recently make it into my top 20 rotation for everyday use.

Longevity – about 5 hours tops;
Sillage – easily detectable in the first 2 hours, then fades somewhat;
Value for $ – if you are paying retail price not great. However, as this can be found relatively cheaply on-line ($35 for 100mls), not too shabby.

Easily recommended as a safe blind buy for those who are looking for a slightly different ‘fresh’ style masculine fragrance. Not a stunner, but it still gets a thumbs up from me.

31st August, 2011
ok

pretty linear

considering the reputation of zegna as a brand i expected some quality one.

this is to me just OK.
nice pleasing smell no changes in the note.

any way i am not tired of it.
staying power is good
use it sparigly
12th April, 2011
A spicier Acqua di Gio that unfortunately lasts about 2 hours on my skin.
03rd February, 2011
z is a good youthful scent. just like their print ads of young italian boys that all look alike in their windbreakers, white jeans, loafers drinking coffee together, z also reminds me of all those aquatic frgrances that all smell alike. z though is made of quality materials and smells really great. sometimes generic fragrances are what you're looking for.
20th August, 2010 (last edited: 02nd February, 2011)
OMG!!! Z by Mr Zegna
For me a marterpiece i don't know why but i think it's my skin
that makes this fragrance so awesome first i get like 6-8 hours
but the first 2 it proyects like crazy on the hot days of summer! i don't know if
it's just my skin, because i just make 4 sprays (2 on my neck and 2 on my wrist and that's all)
This catches the attention of the ladies and make them crazy!!! they just go around me and ask me what that was!
I just love it, a nice aquiatic
When I first smelled it, it remind me of Acqua Di Gio but like a blue version of it with those top notes very fresh and citrus eith like a blue berry feel to it and the heart notes are more floral but the tops notes are there , but it's pretty linear
One of my favourites!!
Try it!!
If you are an ADG fan and you don't like that sour note try the fruty version of it wich is Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

11th August, 2010
JMang Show all reviews
Its a nice scent, my ex purchased this for me in high school, and its definitely a frag for the younger crowd.

In my opinion, its better than Acqua di Gio, though Z doesn't wander far from the aquatics aimed for the younger generation. Its also cleaner and not as chemical/synthetic as AdG. Opening notes are very citrusy, very clean, very fresh, similar to Chrome in that it can almost be harsh. The drydown is much better, and though the fragrance doesn't evolve very much, its still very sporty and fresh.

A summertime fragrance thats definitely worth a try if you're tired of the Cool Waters/AdG. Whether or not you buy it is your choice.

08th March, 2010
Kaern Show all reviews
As far as masculines go, this is not half bad. A herby, woody fragrance that smells good, but not good enough for me to purchase.
04th March, 2010
BradW Show all reviews
This is one of my favorite aquatic scents.
I own many of the Zegna scents, and this
one will remain a favorite of mine from that
house. A great alternative to fans of
Cool Water and Aqua di Gio.
13th February, 2010
id call this stuff zorro because it stands out and totally kills all the other scents sitting besides it

take my advise buy this stuff its phenomenal
20th September, 2009
Fresh, in a clean smelling way, sweet in a fruity way, Z is one of the best aquatics I've smelt recently. Longevity is medium, but It's ok for a casual fragrance. Acqua di Giò Fans that have issues with its slightly sour note, will be delighted with Z's sweet fruity freshness.
21st May, 2009
This is for the review of the extreme version-starts off with a energetic burst of bright and sparkling sweet notes and stays quite linear throughout its course. I love it. And for a scent that is extreme, I just wish it can be more intense in its longevity and sillage. Afterall a very commendable effort by Zegna.
18th March, 2009
A nice fresh and clean fragrance. It starts off citrus with a little floral and spice. The citrus fades away after about an hour but the other parts stick around for 4 hours or so. Longevity is a slight drawback but it's better than similar scents.
13th March, 2009
I see alot of reviews comparing this to AdG. I think this smells exactly like Polo Black but with more of a floral note instead of the citrus. In all this just smells like a mixture of other colognes. I like aquatic scents so ill give this one a neutral.
20th January, 2009
Clean, Clean, Clean. On initial spray I get a clean version of A87 from Aeropostale. But it soon fades away about 5-10 minutes later. I really like how clean it is, like a bar of Coast soap being rubbed on you with a dash of pepper to spice things up. The only reason why I wouldn't buy a full size bottle is its lack of longevity or sillage. It sticks close to the skin. Perfect for office wear.
11th November, 2008
Early development of Z can be considered cool and crisp. I get soapy and peppery aspects as well. But the dominant aspect to my nose is a citric tartness. The tartness suggests citrus, but not any specific fruit: rather a generic tartness. Eventually soapy and peppery aspects die out and what remains is the tartness. Tartness by itself feels cold and sterile, nothing that I really want in a fragrance. I don't think it to be hideous, just not for me. Hence a neutral rating.
04th July, 2008
Classy citrus and herbs with a bit of florals thrown in. A light and refined scent. Awesome bottle. One drawback is that I find the longevity lacking.
07th June, 2008
bbBD Show all reviews
I agree with the reviews that point out Z's lack of development... it is what it is and that's what it is. However, I like what it is. It's not ADG, which I've never liked. There is something metallic about Z's impact on the nose whilst still wet, but once dry this fragrance exudes freshness. Z is not trying to be a deep, rich, spicy fragrance and shouldn't be compared to such scents. The after shave balm version is particularly kind to the skin.

I recently put a zap of the new Perry Ellis 18 on my skin and noticed that it is nearly a complete copy of Z.
21st May, 2008
jdnba Show all reviews
i think this is acqua di gio purple...its just ok...i liked it the very first time i tried it...now that i own it, i rarely reach for it
27th December, 2007
I believe that the negative reviews do not do justice to the perfume. I find it classy, masculine and discreet at the same time. It doesn't last long however.
25th December, 2007
i don't understand how people can compare this to Issey or ADG. Z is dry, a bit spicy and peppery, a bit on the synthetic side and not terribly aquatic -- certainly nothing like the elegant ambiguity of ADG or the intense, very organic citrus-floral blast of Issey. i find it - like Zegna's clothing - well put together, a bit formal, and in very good taste, but ultimately a bit uninspired; definitely appropriate for the office. i bought a bottle and am using it as my daily EDT while on business trips, but i certainly won't miss it when it's gone. staying power is so-so - slightly less than ADG and a LOT less than Issey.
02nd November, 2007
The original bottle (not the black ducati bottle) is IMO one of the best looking bottles ever.

However, Initially or on drydown, I can't get past the Windex notes (original & vinegar)

Sterile, hospital grade, stand-offish fresh. Thumbs way down. Beautiful bottle though.
01st November, 2007
Very plain and boring. Not a BAD fragrance, not annoying, not offensive in any way. Just, nothing THERE!
07th August, 2007
I agree with the reviewers who find Z to be a bit generic, blah, unexciting. This is a basic brisk, crisp, dry scent. No problems: not sweet, not annoying... but not much of anything. I can’t think of any reason to seek this out when there are more interesting scents out there. Maybe if I work my imagination hard I can detect interesting green-wood or bamboo elements, dusky florals from the iris, etc. It finishes on a vaguely unsatisfactory note: green stalks, slightly metallic. Nothing to get upset about, nothing to endorse. Thumb firmly sideways here.
14th June, 2007
I purchased this cologne before having discovered this very informative site. Despite the bad reviews, I still would have purchased this fragrance. Some see it as unimaginative, but I thinks its classy.
16th March, 2007
As several of the reviewers have said—déjà vu, all over again, or maybe diGi-ó all over again. Will the designers never get tired of making these copies? Probably not as long as there are consumers willing to buy it. I’ll admit that this is cleanly done—it’s nice—perhaps a little nicer than Acqua di Gio; however, it is not any nicer than Herrera’s or Bulgari’s or some other versions IMO. Its use of wood, iris, nutmeg, and moss is very well done. Z Zegna has good lasting power, but no better than AdG or the others. My question is, if Zegna had the ability to make a nice fragrance like this, why didn’t they go the extra 10% and make it a little innovative rather than a make it a clone of something that has been around for eleven years?
04th March, 2007