Positive Reviews of Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

Find out more about Z by Ermenegildo Zegna in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Z Zegna is one of my all time favorite summer colognes. It smells very fresh and clean. It is perfect for "casual Friday" at the office or just for general daytime wear. It is perfect for the hot and humid climate we have in South Florida. I get many compliments when I wear it. It lasts a long time on me.

23 May, 2014

SirRaymond's avatar

Alternate Aquatic

If that sea of aquatics is too long a list,

Here's one worth trying, a definite twist.

To clean, fresh and fruity, add citrus and tart,

Enough of a difference to set it apart.

Lithe and linear, projection's not strong,

But for summertime pleasure, it sings it's own song.

18 June, 2013

Lovescully's avatar

I know it’s simple and I know it’s fairly linear, but there’s just something so nice and refreshing about this fragrance that I can’t stop smelling my arm when I’m wearing it!

Even though it looks and is presented like many other ‘aqua’ style fragrances, there is something a little fruity and tart about Z that distinguishes it from the rest of the bunch. After about an hour I also get a noticeable but faint spicy menthol type vibe from this which keeps the freshness kicking for a few hours.

It’s certainly not an outstanding fragrance, but its easy wearability has seen it recently make it into my top 20 rotation for everyday use.

Longevity – about 5 hours tops;
    Sillage – easily detectable in the first 2 hours, then fades somewhat;
    Value for $ – if you are paying retail price not great. However, as this can be found relatively cheaply on-line ($35 for 100mls), not too shabby.

Easily recommended as a safe blind buy for those who are looking for a slightly different ‘fresh’ style masculine fragrance. Not a stunner, but it still gets a thumbs up from me.

31st August, 2011

yasir ali's avatar

ok

pretty linear

considering the reputation of zegna as a brand i expected some quality one.

this is to me just OK.
    nice pleasing smell no changes in the note.

any way i am not tired of it.
    staying power is good
    use it sparigly

12 April, 2011

alvinnjoinerIV's avatar

Philippine Philippine

z is a good youthful scent. just like their print ads of young italian boys that all look alike in their windbreakers, white jeans, loafers drinking coffee together, z also reminds me of all those aquatic frgrances that all smell alike. z though is made of quality materials and smells really great. sometimes generic fragrances are what you're looking for.

20th August, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 February, 2011)

Chuck18293's avatar

OMG!!! Z by Mr Zegna
    For me a marterpiece i don't know why but i think it's my skin
    that makes this fragrance so awesome first i get like 6-8 hours
    but the first 2 it proyects like crazy on the hot days of summer! i don't know if
    it's just my skin, because i just make 4 sprays (2 on my neck and 2 on my wrist and that's all)
    This catches the attention of the ladies and make them crazy!!! they just go around me and ask me what that was!
    I just love it, a nice aquiatic
    When I first smelled it, it remind me of Acqua Di Gio but like a blue version of it with those top notes very fresh and citrus eith like a blue berry feel to it and the heart notes are more floral but the tops notes are there , but it's pretty linear
    One of my favourites!!
    Try it!!
    If you are an ADG fan and you don't like that sour note try the fruty version of it wich is Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

11th August, 2010

BradW's avatar

This is one of my favorite aquatic scents.
    I own many of the Zegna scents, and this
    one will remain a favorite of mine from that
    house. A great alternative to fans of
    Cool Water and Aqua di Gio.

13 February, 2010

chamelion's avatar

id call this stuff zorro because it stands out and totally kills all the other scents sitting besides it

take my advise buy this stuff its phenomenal

20th September, 2009

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Fresh, in a clean smelling way, sweet in a fruity way, Z is one of the best aquatics I've smelt recently. Longevity is medium, but It's ok for a casual fragrance. Acqua di Giò Fans that have issues with its slightly sour note, will be delighted with Z's sweet fruity freshness.

21st May, 2009

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

This is for the review of the extreme version-starts off with a energetic burst of bright and sparkling sweet notes and stays quite linear throughout its course. I love it. And for a scent that is extreme, I just wish it can be more intense in its longevity and sillage. Afterall a very commendable effort by Zegna.

18 March, 2009

reneirwold878's avatar

A nice fresh and clean fragrance. It starts off citrus with a little floral and spice. The citrus fades away after about an hour but the other parts stick around for 4 hours or so. Longevity is a slight drawback but it's better than similar scents.

13 March, 2009

Max1mu51's avatar

Clean, Clean, Clean. On initial spray I get a clean version of A87 from Aeropostale. But it soon fades away about 5-10 minutes later. I really like how clean it is, like a bar of Coast soap being rubbed on you with a dash of pepper to spice things up. The only reason why I wouldn't buy a full size bottle is its lack of longevity or sillage. It sticks close to the skin. Perfect for office wear.

11th November, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Classy citrus and herbs with a bit of florals thrown in. A light and refined scent. Awesome bottle. One drawback is that I find the longevity lacking.

07 June, 2008

bbBD's avatar

I agree with the reviews that point out Z's lack of development... it is what it is and that's what it is. However, I like what it is. It's not ADG, which I've never liked. There is something metallic about Z's impact on the nose whilst still wet, but once dry this fragrance exudes freshness. Z is not trying to be a deep, rich, spicy fragrance and shouldn't be compared to such scents. The after shave balm version is particularly kind to the skin.

I recently put a zap of the new Perry Ellis 18 on my skin and noticed that it is nearly a complete copy of Z.

21st May, 2008

panayoto's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

I believe that the negative reviews do not do justice to the perfume. I find it classy, masculine and discreet at the same time. It doesn't last long however.

25 December, 2007

lukashod's avatar

I purchased this cologne before having discovered this very informative site. Despite the bad reviews, I still would have purchased this fragrance. Some see it as unimaginative, but I thinks its classy.

16 March, 2007

_R$_'s avatar

A better AdG. Z takes the mossy/woods route to get to the sea while AdG throws cut lemons at you while you try to get there. Not a bad effect, but ultimately nothing new or inspiring. Just a non-offensive scent that everyone will say "I've smelled that before!" Enjoy it for the reason that it smells good, don't hate it because it's not original.
    - Rich

11th February, 2007

JJ21's avatar

This fragrance reminds me a little of Issey Miyake's Bleu (maybe it's the creamy quality it possesses...) but more subtle and refined. Although I probably wouldn't appreciate this on someone else, the fact that it wears close to the skin makes it a plus in my opinion. I also find that the woodish/patchouli basenotes are neither overly masculine nor feminine.

11th March, 2006

the_gabba_goul's avatar

Youthful and energetic...a ride down a quiet streetin between the medeteranian and the cirtus orchards of Sorriento on a silver Ducati while cool see breezes brush your face and whip through your hair...crisp and citrusy with a slight hint of leather, this scent wakes the senses and then takes them for a joyride...very fast, sporty yet still, through it all, it remains elegant...

09 November, 2005

richie23's avatar

When people tell me a fragrance is "clean and fresh", I usually surmise that I will dislike it or at least be ambivalent. Still, this one is a winner. It is not sweet, but rather clean, masculine, and sexy. I love the patchouli/ wood dry down. I think patchouli is the new trend note in men's fragrance, and this blend works quite well. BTW, the aftershave balm is very emollient. It's definitely one of the best on the market- contains zinc and other vitamins too. Definitely one of the better new fragrances.

04 August, 2005