Reviews of Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein's Euphoria for Men is likely the most boring and muddled fragrance I have ever given a neutral rating to, but it's such a period piece for the development of the house known for it's overuse if not flaunting of synthesis, that I can't hate it. Plus, there is literally nothing better to wear around friends with sensitive noses because it only comes in wisps no matter how much is used, making it extremely handy in what can be difficult situations for perfume lovers feeling naked without a scent. Euphoria for Men is like some of the 1970's and 1980's most charming B-grade exploitation and horror movies, it's the kind of thing you hate admitting you enjoy, but can't turn away from once it starts because it's just so compelling. If we liken Calvin Klein to an Italian giallo director of yore like Dario Argento, then Euphoria for Men is undoubtedly the "Suspiria" of the catalog, for it represents not only the height of the designer's obsession with certain aspects of his craft (synthetic accords in masculines for this instance), but also of said genre, being the "Age of Eternity" period for the house in question, where everything male had to be light and fresh after the release of Eternity for Men (1989), even to a fault as in this case. Wearing Euphoria is a rather fascinating experience of wearing a "barely there but detectable if looked for" fragrance, but obviously people liked the accords here enough that it became the first real blockbuster since Eternity, and an intense version would manifest two years later, which is literally like an old "haute concentration" of days gone by in that it's just a more potent version, and is more well-liked by perfumistos. A whopping four perfumers also worked on this, which is also something of a nadir point for CK as well, and it would seem like three was the magic number for multi-perfumer CK jambalaya going forward, which is good, since it very much does not feel like four perfumer's worth of work was poured into this fragrance.

Euphoria was graced by Anne Gottlieb and Jean-Marc Chaillan, both veterans of making frugal compositions for Avon, Loc Dong (a frequent CK collaborator), and Carlos Benaim (who gave us the original Eternity for Men). So many hands in one pot of stew typically destroys any creative direction just due to the sheer number of compromises made, unless 3 perfumers were given a tier in the pyramid to tackle then the fourth edited the mess together, I don't know. Euphoria in regular strength or the later intense version represents a rare "fresh gourmand" that pulls mainly from "edible" top and middle notes, with the implied woods and leathers at the bottom for an anchor. The opening of Euphoria for Men is the best part, with ginger, pepper, exotic Japanese sudachi fruit (a sour citrus and typical move for CK, but likely it's synthetic proxy here), the expected ozonic grapefruit accord used since Y2K, and the only nonsense "Kleinism" note found in the top, taking the form of "rain accord", which is probably a fancy way of saying "dilution ingredient" because it's absent from the intense version. The middle ground is clary sage, then two more "Kleinisms" in the form of "black" basil and cedar leaf (why the leaf?). Honestly I don't believe any of that exists in the middle outside the sage, and by this phase am reminded of Avon's Skin 2 Skin (2003), which is a presage of the nearly unisex masculine sweet/fresh style found here, and has a similar "makeup" smell in the middle but commits to a bolder finish with florals and heavier "Avon amber". In Euphoria for men, the Sci-Fi transition to the very faint base of amber, patchouli, suede and the "Kleinism" of Brazilian redwood (gosh, so much exotica in this one) is quick, but I have a feeling these notes are also all naught but chemical impressions.

The appeal here is with the morbid fascination in the sheer artifice and minimalism, even by Calvin Klein standards. It was either a whole new height of synthetic inoffensiveness to circumvent workplace fragrance bans (a nice thought), or a whole new low in duping the buying public into purchasing almost nothing but colored water and alcohol in an admittedly cool bottle (it's most redeeming feature). You'll have to just about drown yourself in Euphoria for Men just to get any projection unless you buy the intense version, but as mentioned, you'll always know it's there (unless you have anosmia). The intense version is almost a must-buy if you enjoy the asexual citrus, fruity spices, and "so bad it's good" synthetic weirdness that is this scent, but actually want to really feel it beyond the opening five minutes. Euphoria for Men flew off shelves enough to completely drown out sales of the following year's Calvin Klein Man (2007), which is technically a stronger and better scent even if it's less interesting from a technical stand point. Perhaps CK Man was an attempt at apology to longtime fans expecting more? Doesn't seem to matter now as Euphoria's success has granted CK license to spawn a new flanker army from the nameplate. Euphoria's total inability to be overwhelming makes it perfect for the office, which is where I'll say this fits best, but it's so almost frustratingly inoffensive by design that this "non-cologne" isn't really good for much else. Fans of Molecule 01 (2006) take note, because this one might be an early prototype of the same aesthetic. CK One (1994) seriously has more cojones than this and it wasn't even meant to, which makes Euphoria for Men even more entertaining. For the extreme generalist that finds even Acqua di Gio (1996) too aggressive, this is your lifelong brand, but for everyone besides the hardcore CK fan or lovers of futurism, this is a solid pass.
18th May, 2018
Spicy, synthetic, fruity-fresh opening. Not terrible but is terribly generic (pleasant). The drydown goes sweet and musky. Again, smelled this many times before in cheaper fragrances.

This smells casual and unrefined. Could be worn day or night and seems okay for most seasons except colder months.

Average projection but it is noticeable.
21st January, 2018
A forgettable gourmand evoking stained khaki and uninspired facsimile.
22nd August, 2017

Another mediocre release for Calvin Klein with the house signature of sweet, syrupy and nauseating.

Calvin Klein fragrances deserve a lifetime achievement award for keeping discount bins full across the world.
01st March, 2016
Salutation.

A Nice Inoffensive scent but it doesn't have a Great Characterestic I was expecting So i am not very impressed with it.Not Overbearing and certainly this is Adorable part of this EDT for me! Aromatic,Mild,Clean,Modern, Masculine and Pleasent but Nothing Special.

Smells Lovely at the begining by Ginger and Pepper as Elevates Your mood Instantly but fades away Gradually to a pretty Ordinary and Faint Soapy base notes.This composition is Light and Youthful and Not Too Romantic for me.

EUPHORIA is Good for Rainy days and It's light enough to wear During the SUMMER.Perfect for EVERYDAY use and In my Opinion Appropriate for a young,Calm Man that confident of Himself.Anyway If you are a fan of CK fragrances you will enjoy it.

Sillage?Moderate.

Longevity?My complain as i dont find it Noticeable on my skin.

6.25/10
13th May, 2015
It's like a sweet suede. This could have been great if the suede was stronger. There's more Patchouli than Suede. The ginger just gives it a little sweetness. It's not something I would buy because I would tire of it. 2.5/5
07th December, 2014
I gave this three stars earlier, and now I'm giving it a thumbs up. I don't think that's a contradiction.

I like this stuff.

But I recognize it's limited.

But I like the Calvin Klein DNA or base, and I like this Euphoria Men juice.

For me, it's almost the opposite of the people worried about projection and longevity. This smells slightly edgy to me, and I'm glad the projection isn't too strong. The key with this juice is that the staying power is strong to my nose. I almost never get comments, but someone did comment that this stuff was projecting, so I rate the performance on this juice as ok, just fine.

The smell is good but not fantastic. But the performance, for me, is a bonus, and pushes it into the "like" zone. A little sweet. A little flowery. A little synthetic. But I like it.

Smelling it again, I'm reminded of Azzaro Chrome, and that one reminded me of CK One.
10th October, 2014
Euphoria Men is very sweet, but still masculine. The fragrance may not be particularly deep or complex - I don't get the sense that it interacts with my skin much - but it's very pleasant. I got compliments several times while wearing this. I usually wear it on days when it's neither particularly hot or cold, or for evenings out.
30th July, 2014
So, I'm a novice at this whole deal.
I'm a 19 year old EMT, wanted something I could throw on during work. For obvious reasons, it can't be super strong or cloying in the slightest. Technically, I can get written up for even wearing too strong of a deodorant, so this is pretty good.
I don't know if I'm just lucky, but this has some staying power for me. I bought it today and wore it for the first time, it's now about 4 hours later and I still get a whiff every once in a while. Several people commented throughout the night.
I would say the projection is eh. Normally I wear really strong colognes, that you can catch from a few feet off (think Polo original). This is not like that (then again, that's what I wanted). Everyone that smelt it was very close, mostly girls that were close to me.
I'm not adept enough to pick out individual tones, yet. I do smell the pepper that people have commented of, a little ginger at the beginning. I think it's a good scent, not my favorite, but I got a nice sized bottle for $35 (Christmas sale, although that's the typical price on Amazon, but I didn't want to blind buy), so I'm not complaining.
24th December, 2013
I've not got a trained nose, but know what I like when I smell it. My tastes have matured over the years, I'm 56: What smelled good in the past I generally don't like today. For example, my wife of 30 years (RIP...) wore Shalimar when we first met. I loved it, then she stopped wearing it and several years later I sampled it and found it to be too overwhelmingly floral. The same "love it young, hate it later" could be said of English Leather, Polo, Grey Flannel, etc., the list goes on...

I got into soap making 20 years ago, which got me into essential oils and eventually, trying to blend my own cologne... Less than satifactory results with my own led me to try bay rum and then Old Spice, which I've used for the last couple years BUT, have found it to have a cloying, lingering scent: what I smell in my coat closet I don't like.

I smelled a women's perfume that I liked and found out it was Euphoria by Calvin Klein.

I found there was a matching scent for men, but didn't want to order without smelling and went to my local Macy's to check it out. I liked it and bought a gift set to try. The regular Euphoria, not the Intense, though I DO like the Intense and the two are VERY similar. Two hours later and I still like it. Compared to Obsession (which I've worn in the past), it's not nearly as spicy and as has been noted by others, has perhaps the best suede/leather afternote I've ever come across.

I'm not sure what the beef is about "staying power". My needs are simple: I a) want to smell good and b) don't want to knock people over when walking into a room and c) am somewhat scent-shy. As long as my lady can smell it a few hours after application, I'm fine. I don't mind reapplying in the evening.

Try it: you'll like it...

EDIT: October 2014 - Married in May, my wife loves this on me. I've grown to like it as well, very much. It doesn't knock anyone down upon entering a room, yet I can still smell it at the end of the day, though faintly. Yes, I must admit, as do others, that I wish it was tiny bit more robust, but this is a keeper...
14th November, 2013 (last edited: 22nd October, 2014)
nice spicy fall scent

very light and very average. While not groundbreaking it is a solid player that is easy on the nose and while not unique it is a safe smell to wear and is ok...not great..not terrible..just ok.

25th July, 2013
Calvin Klein has created a first class fragrance - I wish it lasted longer...

I am a huge fan of Calvin Klein fragrances - I have several of them in my collection and will add more... I was tremendously excited to try Euphoria - even while there are many nay-sayers out there criticizing the longevity. My assessment of Euphoria is that it is a great scent and the nay-sayers are correct - the longevity is weak to poor.

Out of the bottle, Euphoria is a successful blend of ginger pepper and suede notes that is a great scent. Soon after the initial application, the fragrance settles close to the skin. The projection, sillage, and longevity are weak with the longevity at 3 hours at best. While no compliments have been received to date - the fragrance is quite pleasant and I am certain that with time and continued wear - they will come.

The bottle and packaging are traditional Calvin Klein - first class. This is another bottle that I am very fond - you folks know the drill - I prefer the clear bottles that show the clarity of the fragrance. Euphoria is a scent that offers great flexibility in that can be worn during any season and for any event. Lastly, the price/value is good - the going rate is less than $30 for the smaller bottle. Not too shabby...

My final tally for Calvin Klein's Euphoria is 4.0 stars out of 5 stars. I really like the scent, but due to weak longevity, I can not evaluate higher or strongly endorse. If you are a fan of CK's fragrance - add it to your collection. Play like a champion every play and every game - it may make a difference...
13th May, 2013
My overriding sensation when experiencing Euphoria is of a fragrance that feels both slick and cynical. I know all formulations are man-made, but rarely is it as obvious as it is here.

A rather acrid and contrived opening employs a villainous combination of ginger and pepper notes, and It is no small mercy that this episode of ersatz piquancy is short-lived. Beyond this excessively chemical opening, Euphoria does jettison much of the ugliness and enters a calmer and more balanced phase. The problem here is that it has virtually no presence on my skin. I could probably extract as much potency from a sample printed in a magazine. The relatively brief lifespan is largely spent between two states, namely bad and bland. Sadly, Euphoria is yet another entrant in the long list of Calvin Klein failures. Avoid.
26th January, 2013

Perhaps of no consequence to the seasoned fumehound. But Euphoria's strengths are it's versatility and longevity. It wears in much the same way Issey Miyake's blockbuster Pour Homme does. A mass market cologne with a surprising amount of notes that starts out bright, settles down quick, but lingers for a long while. However it does not project as much as the aforementioned competitor. It is very approachable and lasts longer on the skin than many other comparable colognes. You could anytime or as a back up.
29th November, 2012 (last edited: 04th December, 2012)
Euphoria men is a mediocre after shower with its generic sparkling approach made of citrus, synthetic airy floral notes, sweet spices, fruits and ginger. It's energizing, clean and masculine with the following woodsy patchouli and some green note. It's rather balanced but a bit too unispired and faint. The juice is rather common in its aroma and, as well as other underlined, stands in a range crowded by better appointed fragrances. At the end of its trip it seems to be dealing with a sort of fat Lanvin For Man with "suedish" nuances. Not a disaster anyway.
23rd October, 2012 (last edited: 27th January, 2015)
To me, means anything. Not wood, not spicy, not oriental.... Banal fragrance
22nd June, 2012
Interesting spicy fragrance. I bought this a few years ago when I was just looking to own a fragrance for going out to bars and had no interest in fragrance nuances. It's great for younger girls who are still in their yummy phase, but it lacks longevity. Not bad, but for it's purpose in my wardrobe (something for temperatures around 60-70­­­°F (15-20°C), I prefer AOS Sandalwood and for colder temps, I prefer Old Spice or Intense Euphoria. I'm not much into going to clubs anymore, so it's lost it's purpose for me.
24th February, 2012 (last edited: 14th April, 2012)
Olive94 Show all reviews
It is a very average scent. The smell for the first 2 hours is a typical male scent - suede/woods/aquatic spice. After 2 hours it fades into nothing unless you press your nose and take an unhealthily deep inhale from the point of where you sprayed it. It's a nice scent but it seems a little pointless.
04th February, 2012
Very good, considering how bad some of the other Calvin Klein scents.

It is spicy and aquatic/fresh at the same time.
04th February, 2012
I am not too much of a fan on this one. It has a unique smell but longetivity and projection are really bad.
15th January, 2012
My wife bought me this. It has a nice fresh scent, but does not project and does not last.
06th January, 2012 (last edited: 25th September, 2012)
mikesc Show all reviews
Euphoria is the perfect cologne for those occasions where you want to smell good for about an hour. Then it fades to nothing. If you hold your nose right up to where you sprayed it you might catch a very faint reminder that you have it on. I really like the scent, but Euphoria totally fails in all other categories. No projection and no longevity.
02nd January, 2012
First I liked it, then I disliked it. But by returning to it from time to time I now know that the first impression remained stick. It is bland, short lived and looks like a diluated scent, peppery just to give a mild sensation that has some pepper. I don't know how to explain but allthough many say this scent has a sexy aura, what I figure out is something instrospective but elegant, discrete but suggestive, all in a formal place with good clothes. I know, that's another very subjective review. Thumbs up also considering that subjective thing.
29th November, 2011
I tried both Eternity Aqua and Euphoria on my hands during lunch and went back to office to work. After 2 hrs, i decided Euphoria is the one to buy!

It has this sweet slightly powdery musky smell to it and it doesnt choke you like powder in your face. The dry down is wonderful, a hint of sweetness.

I read that ppl feedback about its longetivity and strength. This frag certainly do not smell strong for others to notice but you can smell it emitting from your body though. its a nice frag to wear everyday.

Somehow, its smells like Silver Shadow Altitude except that it has a light sweet spicy drydown.
22nd November, 2011
I absolutely love this scent on a man. It's really sexy yet mild, (it's not one of those colognes that a man will feel shy wearing).

Euphoria is soapy, clean and fresh with that little something to drive the women crazy. It's crispness is exactly how a man should smell just when he steps out of the shower.

The pepper, ginger and suede notes make such a sexy and unique fragrance, something that would only smell sexy on a man. I just love snuggling up to a man wearing Euphoria, it's just so comforting and cozy.

I love this scent so much that I buy this for every boy I know.

26th April, 2011
i was cheated by the short good smell from the start. It doesn't last at all..
it doesnt projects...its a self loving perfume...I dont like a fragrance that doenst flow out to tell people...

it doesnt kill people..as a matter of fact..its so subtle and inoffensive kinda fragrance..they should make the opening smell more strong,projects two meters and last till tomorrow then ill buy this again..
08th April, 2011
Calvin Klein knows how to package a fragrance, and Euphoria is the epitome of their mastery of the minimalist 1930's German Bauhaus movement in a metal and glass box. Genius in its simplicity, smart in its classy modern yet retro appearance, the only thing ultimately lacking is the longevity and projection in the actual juice inside this one.
Euphoria is a beautiful scent as far as fruity, sandalwood and spice go, to the point that I find it one of their best in years. Classy in its freshness and coolness, Euphoria is subtle enough to suit the work-place perfectly and seductive enough to hold its own on an intimate night out, but make sure you bring more ammunition, as this one tends to dry-down very quickly and ultimately wears very close to the skin with minuscule projection.
Some have mentioned a synthetic core, but on my skin this doesn't really show itself, all i get is a very faint but persistent apple, berries and sandalwood vibe that tends to last around 5-6 hours but without any real personality beyond a few inches from the skin.
I love the scent, I think it's one of the few out there that combines fruit in a subtle but still creative way, but its lack of muscle certainly detracts from too loud of praise and even though Mr. Klein strikes again with genius packaging, ultimately the product itself doesn't offer enough of a new thing to justify this being essential in any way. There are far too many more interesting things out there, but, this certainly holds its own as a nice, complimentary, inoffensive everyday cologne for work and play. Above average, nothing more.
15th March, 2011
This is the epitome of a modern, inoffensive scent - perfect for someone who just wants to smell fresh and nothing more. For those of us that appreciate a rich and distinctive fragrance (Tom ford Tuscan Leather),
Euphoria will be a huge disappointment. I personally find this boring and unoriginal. Intense Euphoria, however, has a nice flavorful opening and a decent drydown. It's hard for me to take Calvin Klein seriously these days, just mainstream pedestrian scents that are too afraid to make a statement. Ho Hum.
Very close to giving this a thumbs down because it's just so bland.
22nd December, 2010
Bland, innofensive & vanishes in minutes. Bought as a gift. Wont be spending my own money on it.
19th December, 2010
Tja is a word right between "yes" and "no" in my mother tongue. And "tja" is what every one of the persons that have smelled a sample of Euphoria Men on my wrist have said. And the reviews here, 26 - 22 - 23 (at the moment), certainly points to a ... definite ... "tja".

I don't even bother to count how many times I have smelled openings resembling this one. The notes? To me Euphoria Men has three stages; citrus - floral - gone. It's not a bad or cloying smell, but I would rather wear Acqua Di Gio and take the risk of smelling like 50 other people at the shopping mall.

Calvin Klein, give us exitement next time! ..... Was that a "tja" ?
04th November, 2010