Reviews of Fantasy by Britney Spears

Find out more about Fantasy by Britney Spears in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Captain's avatar

Fantasy lacks any quality or complexity. It smells synthetic - like candy scented plastic.

If you want sweet candy at a reasonable price, go for Pink Sugar. If you you can spare the money or save, go for Guerlain Insolence or La Petite Robe Noire.

06 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 15 February, 2014)

ynde's avatar

This is so girly, but I love it! I first got this about 5 years ago as a teenager, when I wanted to start buying my own perfumes and feeling more grown up. This was one of my first purchases and I adored it, but eventually forgot about it and the bottle disappeared.

A few months ago, an exchange student came to live with us from Mexico, and she always smelled delightful. I asked her what she was wearing, because it was so familiar, and it was Fantasy. Smelling it now reminds me of her and of when I was still at school, and it's a great fun perfume that I wear whenever I'm feeling lazy or girly or in the mood for something really sweet, mostly when I'm just sitting around at home.

On my skin, I don't really get any particular notes. I just get a creamy, slightly fruity but warm gourmand scent that's quite sweet, probably due to the white chocolate. The more I wear it, the more I can begin to make out hints of lychee or kiwi, but nothing distinctive. One of my aunts loves this too as her 'lazy day' perfume, and she's 35, so I don't really think this scent has an age. Instead, I think it's more about how you feel on the inside and what you want this perfume to make you feel.

07 November, 2012

OlfactorQuest's avatar

This was one of the first perfumes I ever purchased. I've enjoyed wearing an air-sprayed spritz for a light and playful hint of scent. Smells like cotton candy minus the fluffy heat of fresh cotton candy. Yesterday, I sprayed it on my wrist for a change. It was awful. This bizarre peppery, deet scent was very prominent for several hours. I resisted the urge to scrub it off in the hope that it would eventually turn into something equally as surprising as the deet accord but much more pleasant. After a while it simmered down into a soft candy scent that was nice but not worth the wait. Either way, I'm pretty sure I have outgrown this very juvenile fragrance.

05 October, 2012

sweetscentobsessed's avatar

It smells ok to me, not what i expected though. Many of the reviews i read said that you got a yellow cake scent or something sweet. I smell sweet, but just fruity with musk. I know it smells differnt on everyone, but im Very disappointed that there was no cake notes in this at all. Maybe a fraction of the white chocolate like the description says, but very little. I tried it on clothes and skin. Didn't get any coconut either. Very sad

09 February, 2012

electric33's avatar

I do not have the fragrance adjectives or experience many people on Basenotes have, but I will say: this reminds me of Angel with a high powered Harajuku Lovers extra coconut, Aquolina Pink Sugar. Then it fades to warm coconut and stays there.

04 January, 2012

MissLucy's avatar

This perfume has an innocent sweet smell to it. My fiance loves it because it smells playful, but I honestly do not like it as much as I initially thought I would. If I was 16 I would likely be in love with this scent.

I would not advise this perfume to anyone over the age of 16. The first impression from this scent is certainly not one of maturity. Rather, one of innocent youth at play. Mainly because it smells like candy. For the first hour I do not mind this, but after a while it makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. It is not an unpleasant smell, so much as it is not my cup of tea.

If you are looking for a long lasting scent then you will not be disappointed because this scent lasts all day.

14 September, 2011

shauna's avatar

i don't get any of the notes listed, just a cloyingly sweet, artificial mass of fluff

25 May, 2011

diamontes's avatar

My sister bought this for me knowing i liked Curious by Britney.

I didn't like it at first. I found it too overpowering with the sweet lychee musk exuding from the first spray. Over time, i think it grew on me a little. It definitely isn't a fragrance made for everyone's enjoyment as it is quite musky and unique.

It reminds me of an exotic lychee blend, dampening down to a warm musk. I think it's nicer to wear during winter where your body heat blends the fragrance to something a bit more welcoming and not totally overbearing.

The bottle design is exquisite. I love the choice of fuschia pink and green gems embedded in the bottle. It adds to that exotic tropics feel to the fragrance, something a bit mysterious and dark. I have a thing for bling sparklies so i loved this design very much!

It's hard to point to the exact intended audience but definitely a young age group of chickies from late teens to maybe late 20's? Of whom enjoy a fruity exuberant exotic fragrant.

Notes as described on fragranceheaven.com.au:

Top notes open with an enticing fruity mix of red lychee, quince and kiwi. Middle notes described as a playful tease, revealing jasmine flower and white chocolate orchid. Base notes combine orris, musks and woods.

13 May, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

This fragrance was my first introduction to gourmand scents. When I first smelt this, it was love at first sniff. It was unique, girly, deliciously sweet and intoxicatingly good.

When you first spray Fantasy you are met with a slightly sour burst of tropical kiwi fruit. This however, does not last long and eventually the fragrance warms into a soft vanilla cupcake served fresh from the oven.

My boyfriend quite often calls me 'cupcake' when I'm wearing Fantasy and although I wouldn't describe this fragrance as being sexy or seductive, it can be very inviting and playful. The bottle is also very cute and feminine, and looks absolutely fantastic on my dresser.

If there were ever a scent-olympics, Fantasy would win the lasting-strength marathon. I spray this on at 8 in the morning and I can still smell it later that night.

I have been known to wear this scent during the day and also out at night. I have even worn Fantasy on a few casual dates because it has the ability to create a somewhat romantic mood.

This is once again another exceptional fragrance from Miss Britney Spears.

26 April, 2011

awesomeness's avatar

Over-priced, childish drivel from Elizabeth Arden.

26 March, 2011

jay252011's avatar

Define fantasy. A fantasy is a beautiful daydream. A fantasy is something to behold, like the taste of a rich wine. A fantasy is laying on the beach of a deserted island. A fantasy is being with an unrequited love....okay, that's a delusion. You get the point, though, right?

My 50-year-old mother bought a bottle of this in 2006, and it turned into anything BUT a fantasy. She lightly tapped the atomizer to put on a light spray and smiled proudly. I smiled too, or rather grimaced. The stuff wasn't a fantasy, it was a NIGHTMARE. Some people complain because a perfume is too sickly sweet. Sickly sweet, nothing. It was enough to send me into a diabetic coma. My mother wore this frag almost every day and she smelled like a hooker, God bless her soul. The day she finished her bottle was the day I bought her a bottle of Red Door. I'd rather her smell like a grandma than a hooker.

18 February, 2011

adele h's avatar

Waited years to actually try Brit's perfumes and now I'm ashamed by how likeable they are! Secret guilty pleasure indeed! Fantasy is a dark molten berry cotton candy confection- very sweet, surprisingly not too sweet for me- and I don't care for Pink Sugar or Flowerbomb. Fantasy has no pretentions of being greater than it is, it's frivolous in an honest way! The drydown is a very clean musk/vanilla, completely inoffensive. Fantasy has some childhood nostalgia and happiness in it...

26 January, 2011

meilz92's avatar

Absolutely hate this perfume. Whenever I smell it on someone I wince, and sometimes it even makes me nauseous and I'm forced to walk away from whoever is wearing it.
    It's smells like a big sugary mess, its so sickly and sweet that I'd only recommend it for girls under the age of 16.

05 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2011)

bamboowu's avatar

This is my favorite of the Britney fragrance that I have had a chance to test. I adore Believe but I LOVE Fantasy.

It is an exotic tropical dessert to me. It whisks me away to an exotic romantic island getaway in my mind. The sweetness of the gourmand notes combined with the florals, in this fragrance I find almost intoxicating. Fantasy is VERY sensual and so sexy in my opinion. Perfect for a romantic date or even just when you are relaxing and want a comforting fragrance to envelop you like a soft cashmere blanket. It is a wonderful gourmand.

I can most detect the white chocolate, cupcake, kiwi, jasmine and orchid, musk and woods. There seems to be a rich vanilla flavour to it as well. Most certainly a wonderful creation in my opinion. I think it is suitable for any age group as well.

The bottle is very cute yet classy and somewhat exotic looking to me. It appears much better looking in person than what you see on the screen. If you haven't yet tried this one, you really should.

Well done Britney! I just LOVE it

17 April, 2010

CUPBOARDIE's avatar

A guilty pleasure! I know I am a good 10 years over the target market but I just adore the yummy smell of Fantasy.

13 March, 2010

perfumista's avatar

I have to chuckle, I really liked this. I found it to be a very peppery sweet and fun fragrance.
    I would recommend a very light hand when applying, but overall it brought a smile to my face.

05 March, 2010

truelateral's avatar

Hilariously trashy candy confection, to me it smells exactly like fairy floss. The bottle is nasty and cheap and very very pink. I do wear this sometimes, in summer when I'm feeling amused by life. Nobody has attempted to lick me yet, but here's hoping.

05 January, 2010

scarletwoundsmile's avatar

Okay for a tween - teenage girl, but definitely not for a grown woman.
    It smells like sickly sweet cotton candy, and lasts for a long, long time on the skin. :(
    Because of the bottle and the cotton candy smell, this fragrance seems like one aimed at younger girls.

05 December, 2009

Primrose's avatar

I am the first person to advise a scent wearer to wear his or her preference, but in my opinion, any woman over the age of 15 needs to expand her sense of fragrance. This scent is way to sweet and sugary and will fill a whole house with scent--literally. If its sillage you want, this might the one for you. And you will get all you need of sugar, sugar, sugar. Yes, as others have said, it will induce headaches. My first whiff of the scent was, "Gad?! What IS that?"

The pink spherical bottle is meant to appeal to the tween set and not woman--the thing looks like a plastic toy. This belongs not in the fragance section of a department store, but next to the Barbie pefume and the Tinkerbell cologne in the toy section.

On the other hand, the original Curious scent is a nice vanilla floral.

19 August, 2009

louisadee's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

NOT A FAN.
    Overpowering is a massive understatement.
    Crippling headache is another.

15 April, 2009

Cute_cute_baby's avatar

Vietnam Vietnam

I got a headache after sniffing this one. It's too sweet, in an annoying way. The bottle is SO un-fantastic, it looks like a cheap plastic toy for a girl child to play.

25 February, 2009

Tony T's avatar

very sweet and gourmand yummy and creamy. vanilla and sugar mixed with creamy musks that lasts all day. for the under 30 crowd fo sho.

03 February, 2009

kaydeechio's avatar

Very sweet! Definitely smells like a cupcake. My husband smelled this in the store and begged me to get it for myself. I liked how it smelled out of the bottle and even more on my skin. It lasted about 7 hours on my wrist before it faded away.

16 January, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Over the freaking top fruity candy floral. I guess that's typically what girls are supposed to smell like? Other than being freaking sweet, there are some interesting note in here. There's a bitter citrus note wafting around, a chocolatey floral accord and did I mention it was freaking creamy? Good, trashy fun.

17 December, 2008

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

This bottle is really cute (pink bottle and rhinestones), but that is about it! This is WAY TOO sweet for me! It's like wearing pure candy (cotton candy to be exact). The bottle is elegant, but the scent is juvenile. It would be appropriate for preteens, but not grown women, then again, should I be surprised? I suppose the scent caters toward the Spears' followers, 12-17 year olds. I prefer Curious, which smells youthful and light, Fantasy smells like you just took a bath in sugar...yuck!

15 December, 2008

The_Entity's avatar

Nothing fantastic, but liked this one more than curious, more longer lasting

22 November, 2008

mygreenlimousine's avatar

I cannot stand this scent. It smells JUST like cotton candy to me. I used to work for a department store (in the juniors section) when this fragrance was released - and we kept a bottle of it at the register for people to test. Teenagers spraying it left and right for weeks. There is a reason they market it to teenagers - it smells like candy. It is very sweet and fun I guess but if you want to smell like this why don't you just rub candy on yourself?

19 September, 2008

Madamemagenta's avatar

I want to hate this stuff on principle...but I can't quite do it. Cotton candy in a hot pink bottle screams pre-puberty. Seems to last longer than some other "kiddie" scents. Awful pricey for something I would be embarrased to wear If I was just old enough to hold a job.

15 August, 2008

rubyred's avatar

I smelt this on a girl in the bank and asked her what her perfume was. Being a bit hesitant about the name I tried it 3 or 4 times before I bought it. Surprisingly it has become one of my favourite day scents - asweet, crisp fruity floral with a definite fresh pick me up which lasts on me 4-5 hours. No change in the dry-down, just fades away. Sweet, fun, easy and uncomplicated. This perfume has garnered me the most compliments from friends, clients and strangers.

02 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 November, 2012)

lion_dancer's avatar

I am not usually into smelling good enough to eat. But this one, I love! I think one of my guy friends said it best while standing between me and his then Girlfriend, while hugging me he said to his girlfriend "why can't you smell as good as her?"...

Starts off sweet and innocent with an lingering undertone of promised trouble.

03 November, 2007