Negative Reviews of Fantasy by Britney Spears

Find out more about Fantasy by Britney Spears in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Captain's avatar

Fantasy lacks any quality or complexity. It smells synthetic - like candy scented plastic.

If you want sweet candy at a reasonable price, go for Pink Sugar. If you you can spare the money or save, go for Guerlain Insolence or La Petite Robe Noire.

06 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 15 February, 2014)

shauna's avatar

i don't get any of the notes listed, just a cloyingly sweet, artificial mass of fluff

25 May, 2011

awesomeness's avatar

Over-priced, childish drivel from Elizabeth Arden.

26 March, 2011

jay252011's avatar

Define fantasy. A fantasy is a beautiful daydream. A fantasy is something to behold, like the taste of a rich wine. A fantasy is laying on the beach of a deserted island. A fantasy is being with an unrequited love....okay, that's a delusion. You get the point, though, right?

My 50-year-old mother bought a bottle of this in 2006, and it turned into anything BUT a fantasy. She lightly tapped the atomizer to put on a light spray and smiled proudly. I smiled too, or rather grimaced. The stuff wasn't a fantasy, it was a NIGHTMARE. Some people complain because a perfume is too sickly sweet. Sickly sweet, nothing. It was enough to send me into a diabetic coma. My mother wore this frag almost every day and she smelled like a hooker, God bless her soul. The day she finished her bottle was the day I bought her a bottle of Red Door. I'd rather her smell like a grandma than a hooker.

18 February, 2011

meilz92's avatar

Absolutely hate this perfume. Whenever I smell it on someone I wince, and sometimes it even makes me nauseous and I'm forced to walk away from whoever is wearing it.
    It's smells like a big sugary mess, its so sickly and sweet that I'd only recommend it for girls under the age of 16.

05 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2011)

scarletwoundsmile's avatar

Okay for a tween - teenage girl, but definitely not for a grown woman.
    It smells like sickly sweet cotton candy, and lasts for a long, long time on the skin. :(
    Because of the bottle and the cotton candy smell, this fragrance seems like one aimed at younger girls.

05 December, 2009

Primrose's avatar

I am the first person to advise a scent wearer to wear his or her preference, but in my opinion, any woman over the age of 15 needs to expand her sense of fragrance. This scent is way to sweet and sugary and will fill a whole house with scent--literally. If its sillage you want, this might the one for you. And you will get all you need of sugar, sugar, sugar. Yes, as others have said, it will induce headaches. My first whiff of the scent was, "Gad?! What IS that?"

The pink spherical bottle is meant to appeal to the tween set and not woman--the thing looks like a plastic toy. This belongs not in the fragance section of a department store, but next to the Barbie pefume and the Tinkerbell cologne in the toy section.

On the other hand, the original Curious scent is a nice vanilla floral.

19 August, 2009

louisadee's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

NOT A FAN.
    Overpowering is a massive understatement.
    Crippling headache is another.

15 April, 2009

Cute_cute_baby's avatar

Vietnam Vietnam

I got a headache after sniffing this one. It's too sweet, in an annoying way. The bottle is SO un-fantastic, it looks like a cheap plastic toy for a girl child to play.

25 February, 2009

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

This bottle is really cute (pink bottle and rhinestones), but that is about it! This is WAY TOO sweet for me! It's like wearing pure candy (cotton candy to be exact). The bottle is elegant, but the scent is juvenile. It would be appropriate for preteens, but not grown women, then again, should I be surprised? I suppose the scent caters toward the Spears' followers, 12-17 year olds. I prefer Curious, which smells youthful and light, Fantasy smells like you just took a bath in sugar...yuck!

15 December, 2008

mygreenlimousine's avatar

I cannot stand this scent. It smells JUST like cotton candy to me. I used to work for a department store (in the juniors section) when this fragrance was released - and we kept a bottle of it at the register for people to test. Teenagers spraying it left and right for weeks. There is a reason they market it to teenagers - it smells like candy. It is very sweet and fun I guess but if you want to smell like this why don't you just rub candy on yourself?

19 September, 2008

tdi's avatar

I absolutely hate this fragrance with a vengence. My Mom bought a bottle and it has just about sent me over the edge. Not only does it bring on a migraine when I am around her with it on I also find it to smell very similar to Raid bug spray with a splash of pineapple juice. I guess we all meet up with our fragrance nemesis eventually!

17 July, 2007

bonniebear's avatar

YUK! We have a older woman who wears this where I work, I swear she takes a bath in it! sickning sweet! and way too strong!

10th September, 2006

sneakysnake's avatar

This smell reminds me of all of the posers at my school. It's an unwritten fact at my school that if you wear Britney Spears perfume, you are just trying to fit in. The smell is too sweet and it makes me very sick. So even if you don't get sick wearing it, other people will when they smell you.

25 August, 2006

rubygloomrox's avatar

I tried to keep an open mind, but I just can't stand this. It's too sweet, even for a teenager. It smells really overpowering and cheap.

18 April, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

I can't imagine who's 'fantasy' this might be.....
    Willie Wonka's???? Disgustingly sweet.

26 March, 2006

MissCourtney's avatar

The fragrance: Terrible!
    The bottle : Sweety
    But I don't can't spend money for a bottle.

26 March, 2006

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Sorry this is terrible.
    This must have been marketed to tweens, "I'm not a (little) girl not yet a woman". There was a time when such cheap compositions were sold only in drugstores (though drugstores also have little gems). How Elizabeth Arden dares to make something so cheap, from juice to bottle, and let people pay departement store prices for it I don't understand. It's me that must be crazy, as Fantasy sells very well...

23 March, 2006

bonni's avatar

If you want to smell like spun sugar in a candy shop, this is the fragrance for you. I've tried it a couple of times now and I must say, I absolutely detest it. Absolutely awful. Yuck.

I will say, though, that the bottle is very cool and extremely interesting. Nice bottle, shame about the fragrance....

28 February, 2006