Reviews

Neutral Reviews of Fantasy by Britney Spears

For those with a sweet tooth...

Well, I never expected to review something like this... but I try not to be a snob and judge all fragrances equally so I'll try my best.

Fantasy by Britney Spears is a fruity gourmand fragrance for sure! I personally love the note of white chocolate here and I have smelled other fragrances with this note and have liked them a lot. Yes the bottle is very girly etc. and needless to say as a guy I am not a fan! But, I am trying to judge this on the juice alone so bear with me here!

First of all, I really think that when it comes to "food" notes in fragrances such as fruit or chocolate etc. the is no particular "gender" which is associated with them, so in the case of Fantasy I really think that anyone could wear this. Young or old, all that matters is that you like "sweet" or "gourmand" fragrances.

I can't pick out all the notes, but it does smell like a sweet dessert... and the notes certainly do look exotic to me! Lychee fruit, kiwi fruit, a "cupcake" accord, orchid (reminding me of the dark chocolate in Tom Ford's Black Orchid), and especially white chocolate to top it all. It does project quite strong out of the bottle (I think I have an "older" formulation bottle from 2008), but after a while it dies down to a sweet, chocolatey smell which just radiates lightly off the skin. The strange thing about this one is that it's weirdly addictive too. So I find myself wearing it more often. I personally would not wear this in the summer heat, preferring to wear it in colder weather, but it's up to you. It's not a bad fragrance, but if you're into "light" or "inoffensive" gourmands, then try this one, but if you want something in the same field but with just a little more "depth" then go for Black Orchid or Angel by Thierry Mugler.
11th December, 2014
Think bubblegum, cotton candy, pez, cupcakes and fruit wrapped up in a bottle. Great scent for a very young person. I pulled it off at 19 but I'd recommend it to someone much, much younger. Is is very fun and flirty. Careful with how much you put on because it is very easy to overkill with this one.
19th November, 2014
This was one of the first perfumes I ever purchased. I've enjoyed wearing an air-sprayed spritz for a light and playful hint of scent. Smells like cotton candy minus the fluffy heat of fresh cotton candy. Yesterday, I sprayed it on my wrist for a change. It was awful. This bizarre peppery, deet scent was very prominent for several hours. I resisted the urge to scrub it off in the hope that it would eventually turn into something equally as surprising as the deet accord but much more pleasant. After a while it simmered down into a soft candy scent that was nice but not worth the wait. Either way, I'm pretty sure I have outgrown this very juvenile fragrance.
05th October, 2012
It smells ok to me, not what i expected though. Many of the reviews i read said that you got a yellow cake scent or something sweet. I smell sweet, but just fruity with musk. I know it smells differnt on everyone, but im Very disappointed that there was no cake notes in this at all. Maybe a fraction of the white chocolate like the description says, but very little. I tried it on clothes and skin. Didn't get any coconut either. Very sad
09th February, 2012
I do not have the fragrance adjectives or experience many people on Basenotes have, but I will say: this reminds me of Angel with a high powered Harajuku Lovers extra coconut, Aquolina Pink Sugar. Then it fades to warm coconut and stays there.
04th January, 2012
This perfume has an innocent sweet smell to it. My fiance loves it because it smells playful, but I honestly do not like it as much as I initially thought I would. If I was 16 I would likely be in love with this scent.

I would not advise this perfume to anyone over the age of 16. The first impression from this scent is certainly not one of maturity. Rather, one of innocent youth at play. Mainly because it smells like candy. For the first hour I do not mind this, but after a while it makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. It is not an unpleasant smell, so much as it is not my cup of tea.

If you are looking for a long lasting scent then you will not be disappointed because this scent lasts all day.
14th September, 2011
My sister bought this for me knowing i liked Curious by Britney.

I didn't like it at first. I found it too overpowering with the sweet lychee musk exuding from the first spray. Over time, i think it grew on me a little. It definitely isn't a fragrance made for everyone's enjoyment as it is quite musky and unique.

It reminds me of an exotic lychee blend, dampening down to a warm musk. I think it's nicer to wear during winter where your body heat blends the fragrance to something a bit more welcoming and not totally overbearing.

The bottle design is exquisite. I love the choice of fuschia pink and green gems embedded in the bottle. It adds to that exotic tropics feel to the fragrance, something a bit mysterious and dark. I have a thing for bling sparklies so i loved this design very much!

It's hard to point to the exact intended audience but definitely a young age group of chickies from late teens to maybe late 20's? Of whom enjoy a fruity exuberant exotic fragrant.

Notes as described on fragranceheaven.com.au:

Top notes open with an enticing fruity mix of red lychee, quince and kiwi. Middle notes described as a playful tease, revealing jasmine flower and white chocolate orchid. Base notes combine orris, musks and woods.
13th May, 2011
Over the freaking top fruity candy floral. I guess that's typically what girls are supposed to smell like? Other than being freaking sweet, there are some interesting note in here. There's a bitter citrus note wafting around, a chocolatey floral accord and did I mention it was freaking creamy? Good, trashy fun.
17th December, 2008
Nothing fantastic, but liked this one more than curious, more longer lasting
22nd November, 2008
I want to hate this stuff on principle...but I can't quite do it. Cotton candy in a hot pink bottle screams pre-puberty. Seems to last longer than some other "kiddie" scents. Awful pricey for something I would be embarrased to wear If I was just old enough to hold a job.
15th August, 2008
I have a fairly sizeable perfume collection, and wear this occasionally. It was given to me as a present when I was first building up my perfume collection - and its going to last for a long time. If you wear it sparingly, you can enjoy the notes. If you wear too much, it is going to be overpowering and you will want to wash it off. So be warned!

This fragrance is very sweet, the cupcake note comes through very strongly. Like a lot of other reviewers, its the dry down that I like on this one. Creamy vanilla woods, very nice. This one is definately a winter fragrance. The woods cut the sweetness a bit, but I like a sweet perfume that is more spicy (try hypnotic poison).
03rd November, 2007
Bliss Show all reviews
I really liked this perfume when I first got it, but after a couple of weeks, I think it is just too sweet for me.

The bottle is really cool, though.
18th January, 2007
I used to be OBSESSED with this perfume but now I've grown to like better ones.

It's very sweet almost to sweet, it mellows down. My friend owns and she sprays it before PE and it smells quit nice next to the sweaty boys
25th October, 2006
Fairy floss in a bottle.
My 12 year old likes it though.........
23rd May, 2006
This smelt so beautiful at the beginning. It was almost peachy and smelt of lychee but after 15 minutes it just made me sick when the middle notes kicked in. I couldn't wash it off quick enough.

If the top notes were more prominent this would have been amazing. Maybe it was just my body chemistry.

I certainly recommend others to try this.
28th February, 2006