Reviews of Burberry London by Burberry

Find out more about Burberry London by Burberry in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jadelotus's avatar

This is one case where Luca Turin and I must agree to disagree. Is Burberry London sophisticated and elegant? Absolutely not. It never claims to be. It's a happy blend of citrus and white flowers, with a barely perceptible woods-and-musk base. Unlike other perfumes of this class, every note is perfectly legible and it doesn't get murky in the middle. Not a scent I'd wear out on date night (except to a brightly lit, crowded bar), but it's a great everyday fragrance. Let's face it, I'm not going to bust out the Malle, Dior, or TF Private Blend for school drop off in jeans and a t-shirt. For cheap, cheerful, and utterly inoffensive, London can't be beat.

20th December, 2012

Meilin's avatar

Burberry's London is such a nice, relaxing scent. I absolutely love the jasmine notes, and the bottle fits the smell perfectly--a classic. The longevity of the scent is great--usually a little on your pressure points is enough. It's a very traditional scent, I suppose, but I absolutely love the design and scent of London. I got this perfume among others Burberry, Dior, and Chanel scents last Christmas, but this probably is a favorite.

04 November, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

Very rarely do I test a fragrance and feel the sudden urge to buy it right then and there without letting it develop fully on my skin. However, London was almost an exception.

London is such a delicate and pretty floral scent. Not only is the fragrance beautiful when you first apply, but it continues its heavenly scent right until the very end. There is nothing to dislike about this fragrance.

It has a classic-like smell, possibly because of the rose and jasmine notes, however this is in no way an 'old lady' perfume. The scent is soft, feminine, youthful and elegant.

I wouldn't describe London as being outrageously sexual or provocative, because it definitely is none of those. Burberry scents are what I refer to as 'comfort scents', fragrances that you can feel comfortable wearing during the daytime, around the house, on a picnic or simply relaxing. I love that laid-back approach they have when creating their scents.

Although I have never been to London, I believe this fragrance has captured the beauty and history that makes London so special. The fragrance is also suited to England's cold climate with its ability to create warmth and uplift your spirits on a cold winter's day.

Although I resisted the urge to purchase this fragrance the other day, it will definitely stayed fixed in my wishlist until I buy it, which will probably be very soon.

27 April, 2011

lady love's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Very sweet and overpowering fragrance, this should only be applied in moderation.

For me this is not a floral scent, because it's to sweet like a candy.

Anyways is very longlasting.

26 January, 2011

mjcr's avatar

My wife owns this and I have to say it smells wonderful on her. She wore it all last winter which really is the perfect time to use it.
    To my nose it seems both fresh and floral, and then woody and musky a little later on. There is something very cosy and relaxed about it. But at other times it also comes across as rather playful and dare I say it a little sexy.
    It is certainly a fairly loud fragrance and can be a real stinger if over applied (which is quite easy - I had to ask the wife to go easy on the trigger).
    AA Gill described another Burberry fragrance as 'chav spit' and I've seen this misquoted and attributed to London as well. Well, its not Shalimar thats for sure but it's not trying to be. Its not in the realms of greatness but it is very pleasant with a slightly seductive edge. Thumbs up.

29 August, 2010

SirSlarty's avatar

A beautiful elegant floral of rose, jasmine and sweet musky sandalwoods. Just... beautiful.

07 November, 2009

karenb's avatar

Ireland Ireland

I despised this fragrance for the first few times that I tested it.
    Now I would say that both London (for women) and Brit are the two fragrance(s) that I automatically reach for everyday use. This is a most curious turn of events as my initial reaction to London was that an 1980's fragrances had hit me on the head. I couldn't make out the various notes,possibly as others have noted blackberries for the top notes,but I am definitely appreciative of the base notes such as sandalwood and musk. I was a child of the '70's and have to tread carefully but not wearing a perfume too young for me or even worse,a sophisicated fragrance such as Shalimar which does not suit my chemistry.
    Without sounding like an advert for Burberry (believe me, I am last person to follow a particular house I hope to continue to derive pleasure from Burberry for some time. Marks wAAAAAAAy Up.

23 August, 2009

Aznavour's avatar

I would define this mostly by its middle, which is a nice serving of jasmine-tiare -- emphasis on the jasmine. I'd swear there's also a tea note in this, but maybe I'm just making that up.

It's a nice floral fragrance for people who aren't necessarily into florals, like myself. I think it works because it keeps things fairly simple and renders its edited bouquet of flowers fairly realistically for a fragrance at its price point.

It's a nice jasmine fragrance for the price and a good representation of the brand.

14 July, 2009

clauditza_kissez's avatar

Romania Romania

i like sweet parfumes like that.it smells a litle like blackberries.i tried that parfume at the shop and i've heard people saying:wow it smells so good this perfume

17 January, 2009

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

I love this fragrance. It smells very expensive and makes me feel like a million bucks. It is long lasting but not overpowering, and it is very light and feminine. This scent is fresh, subtle, and tasteful. The top notes contain rose and honeysuckle. There middle notes have peony and jasmine and the base notes have hints of sandalwood and musk. (I may have left a few notes out, but thoes are the notes I smell). When I first spray Burberry London (fabric edition), for some reason I sometimes smell traces of fruit (blackberry and grapes) but after the drydown (2-3 minutes) the combination of notes together is NOT fruity at all. It is definately a fabulous warm floral that is soft enough to wear to work, and sexy enough to wear out. This is not as sweet as other burberry fragrances and it is very elegant and sophisticated.

11th December, 2008

scentual1's avatar

Something about this scent reminds me of expensive new clothes, I am always complimented on it, but am rather suprised that more people don't recognize it. Definitely Bergamot in there somewhere. To me it is elegant, educated, successful and sharp. It also slightly changes depending which type of material you are wearing it with. Of which my favorite is cashmere, then it smells richer. . I SWEAR!

16 September, 2008

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I would like to love the Burberry fraganses, but most of them are too heavy and too sweet for my skin. The exception is Burberry London. I wear this one very well. It has a freshness who makes it work for me. Thumbs up, and perhaps a full bottle in the future.

20th April, 2008

I think it’s a shape shifter — and it is obviously a fragrance that performs differently on different skins. It is a shape shifter because I get somewhat different reactions every time I test it. It begins with an accord that I have difficulty categorizing. I get a soft creamy lavender / bergamot accord and definitely some mint, but I don’t get an herbal effect from the mint or the thyme that is supposed to be there. At first I didn’t smell any fruit in the mix, but each time I tested it, the fruit note became more apparent. But even after several testings, the opening accord has not become excessively sweet. It’s an excellent opening that I’ve come to appreciate. It gives a neutral warm feeling without emphasizing any particular note. I find it abstract, quite modern, and casual. The heart of the fragrance IS identifiable — it is woody and creamy. To my nose, the cedar and sandalwood stand out with the strong assistance of the geranium and the jasmine. I love this middle accord — the cedar is beautifully presented because it is used with such discretion. It has a warmth to it that I usually don’t get from cedar, and the middle accords are long lasting and entirely sniffable. The dry down turns somewhat recessive, though. The amber simply doesn’t come through for me, although the sweetness of the tonka and vanilla does. Without the amber, the dry down strikes me as rather thin. In spite of the dry down, Burberry London is a good fragrance: It’s probably not going to be a classic, but it’s a pretty fragrance that will hold its own as a trustworthy casual that’s a touch adventurous. The top levels are enjoyable and competently done. The drydown could be fuller and broader, but all things considered, it’s a thumbs up.

10th March, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2009)

tsc's avatar

Very long lasting, warm, soft and sensual! Slightly more-than-casual to straight to evening wear. My go to scent for the winter!

15 December, 2007

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

To me Prada smells just like the "fake jasmine" common in Sweden, where it's mostly too cold to grow true jasmine. A soft and pleasant white floral, somehow warm and cuddly like florals seldom are. Like the rest of the Burberry line, it has a "generic perfumey" feel, but perhaps a little less so because it's so true to an existing flower. I would wear it if it was this or nothing.

17 June, 2007

melancholic-botanist's avatar

Poland Poland

Smells like the fabric softener "Lenor", it's OK, somewhat boring, too "polite".

13 May, 2007

Coconut's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Burberry London is prettiness in a bottle.

Burberry London is a composition of Tiare Flower, Clementine, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Peony, Musks, Indian Sandalwood and Patchouli. It opens up like a bouquet of well orchestrated white florals. It seems like a loud recipe but it was very pleasing to the nose once the alcohol from the beginning wears off. I could picture the scenery of Tahiti when I apply this. The scent of jasmine is intense but I must say that the rest of the flowers are weaved tightly and I could not make a distinction of them. It stays well on my skin for only 3 hours.

I must comment on the design of the bottle. It is very nice and thoughtful. A typical Burberry inspired tartan fabric wrapped around the bottle is a very unique creation.

The advertising and the branding is good about this scent but I am not sure if I would go for a full bottle of this as it is not all that intriguing and lacks a soul.

26 February, 2007

Sirena's avatar

Trinidad and Tobago Trinidad and Tobago

I really wanted to like this but all I got was overwhelming vanilla. Bland and boring on me.

04 February, 2007

Tink's avatar

I really hated this smell at first. It smelled like grape medicine. But after recomending it to so many people (i work on commission and its high price) i started to LOVE it. For me it's the perfect smell when i let my hair air dry. My friend said it smells to "old" for me, but none the less of the mature smell, it's a good jean fragrances

22 December, 2006

Scentsibility's avatar

Can you say honeysuckle? I bought this as a Christmas gift for my wife because we both love honeysuckle. I think there may be some jasmine thrown in for good measure. It is a very feminine, somewhat sweet, and alluring floral. I can't speak for the longevity yet, but I LOVED IT when my wife sampled it. It reminded me a bit of Beautiful, but much more toned down.

02 December, 2006

Jalina606's avatar

I love this fragrance! The honeysuckle really stands out on me. If you love honeysuckle you will adore this fragrance!

23 October, 2006

shellygilbert's avatar

WHY WHY WHY? What was wrong with the old Burberry? This one smells medicinal on me.

14 October, 2006

F_Frez's avatar

Smelled it from my best female friend (who also asked me to write a review about it), it has similar notes with Givenchy's Very Irrésistible (the rose and peonia maybe) and although I felt initially both ones were a bit generic, Burberrys London is a lot more sensual and sophisticate. When smelled it was in its middle notes, didn't get the clementine nor the sandalwood, maybe get the jasmine and the musk, but roses was the main note (without falling in the "two-centuries-ago-granny-rose-water" vein). Unlike other fragrances on my personal top ten list, like Allure, I can't remember the scent, but enjoyed the moments when I smelled it. For daytime wear, office or romantic events, I believe it's suited for women in the range 25-40 (ok... maybe under 50, but forget the sensual notes at older cases).

28 May, 2006

katyonok26's avatar

Wow! I like it!! Super!!!

19 May, 2006

fragrantone's avatar

I was cornered on Sunday by the platonic ideal of a perfume SA, and liberally sprayed with Burbery London. This grand SA was an elegant and stunning older woman, German, with an enviable updo and the most delightful accent. She could have passed for displaced royalty. She charmed me into buying a small bottle.

Truth be told, it isn't really me, though I find it pleasant enough. Basically a brief bright citrus, followed by fairly intense floral. No one can say these floral notes aren't long lasting! The eventual drydown was warm, but not all I had hoped.

I admit that I crave vanilla bases lately, so someone else might really love this. I will use this, it is a nice spring fragrance, but I doubt I will use up the bottle.

11th May, 2006

AlthaeaSoaps's avatar

top notes: rose, clementine and honeysuckle.

Rose? Honeysuckle? I didn't sense them anywhere. However the clementine note was beautiful, although by the time the alcohol had dried it was virtually gone.

heart notes: tiare flower, jasmine and peony.

To me, this is what dominates the fragrance. And of this part, the Jasmine is the most dominant of the dominant. Reminds me very much of the teased-up, breathy florals of the 80's...all three flowers so equally overwhelming that it's hard to separate them from the general, muddied fog of "FLOWERS RIGHT HERE!". It is right on the verge of being headache-inducing for me, and I kept catching whiffs of this aspect that reminded me strongly of the floral heart of the famous yellow Giorgio signature perfume.

dry down notes: sandalwood, veil of musk and patchouli.

Again, never found them. The floral heart comes on within minutes and stays for many, many hours - at the end of the day it was still quite strong, but I never got a hint of any sort of wood, musk or earthiness from patchouli. All day long, impressions of Giorgio played hide-and-seek with moments of Estee Lauder's original Beautiful, back and forth. Overblended, overwhelming flower overload, for me.

28 April, 2006

universalperfumes's avatar

Got in the new Burberry London. Packaging is really good and a very nice modern twist to the classic London fragrance. Felt just a tad slight bit fresher with some sort of citrusy fruity slant on the top but still maintains that delicious warmth from the orignal London. Impressed.

12 March, 2006