Neutral Reviews of Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Find out more about Dior Homme by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral

I'd better find a piece of furniture to duck behind before I get going here...

Dior Homme has a very conventional sweet citrus opening, with a blend of abundant white flowers welling up underneath. A very strong, soapy lavender soon takes center stage, while the persistent citrus note grows so tart as to become discordant. The much-vaunted iris starts out very deeply buried under all the heaps of lavender.

It takes at least a half an hour for the ugly citrus top note to fade and the lavender to loosen its grip enough to release any of the other notes. Only then does the iris come into full focus, surrounded by a white floral bouquet and resting on some rather anemic woods and just a touch of powder. Quite a bit of sweet fruit lingers through the development, and this leaves Dior Homme smelling a little ordinary to me, given the number of saccharine fruity designer scents on today's market. By the time it's reached its powdery, soapy dry down, I've lost all interest in this fragrance.

Did I say "ordinary" somewhere? Thought so. I'll take Iris Silver Mist, Iris Bleu Gris, Bois d'Iris, or Iris Poudre over Dior Homme any day.

12 June, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

I bought the reformulation bottle several months ago.
    This is a classy fragrance. great for special occasions like wedding day, a date, work meetings and ...
    But you can also wear it casually!
    Start with huge dose of iris and some sweetness and also some coco. only hint of coco!
    After that, in the dry down, the sweet and powdery iris comes in and this is the best part of this fragrance in my opinion! and also it's the worst part of this fragrance for so many guys out there!
    Because this part is feminine for them and they get lipstick vibe!
    But I don't have any problem with this scent and I think it's a great scent!
    In the base, the iris is still there with some sweetness and only hint of spicy and woodsy notes.
    Great smell but average projection and above average longevity with this guy.

10th May, 2014

bFlay's avatar

I want to like this more... I sampled this on numerous occassions and thought it was a nice scent. Not an "incredible fragrance", but nice. It's expensive so that had kept me from purchasing it for more sustained wearing. About a month ago I found it at a reduced price in a discount store and picked up a bottle. Opens with a sweet spicy floral quality. Has a distinctly waxy accord that invokes thoughts of low-end cosmetics. However, I get compliments on this and actually enjoy it some hours after applying when it breaks down and develops a more predominently spicy note and a pure iris accord. I like iris notes, I think it is the best masculine floral. So Dior Homme is nice. I would not pay full price for it and probably won't wear it frequently or certainly not on any special occassions...

27 February, 2014

noirdrakkar's avatar

Was once a great fragrance; Not anymore though

Several years ago, Dior Homme was one of the best fragrances on the market. I gave it 5 out of 5. However, now, the reformulation changed this fragrance from a masterpeice to one that is decent and not bad at all, but not nearly as remarkable as the original. I rarely ever complain about reformulations because many times (most of the time) they are just minor and insignificant. This is not one of those times. This reformulation weakened this fragrance, though it's not nearly as much of a trainwreck as what happened with Fahrenheit.

What does the reformulation change? It still smells similar but it completely lacks the virility, power, energy, and uniqueness of the original. Now it's just a light spray of make-up powder and lipstick. This reformulation is much lighter and diluted. Even with several sprays the fragrance was weak and after 2 hours, it was really difficult to smell. The projection and longevity leave a lot to be desired.

Get the vintage if you can because this one just doesn't do justice to the original. As for the current one, don't make it a priority to sample this one, but if you feel you have to, keep your expectations low. It's all in all decent, but your money is better spent elsewhere.

28 July, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

This is nice because it bucks the generic citrus/pepper generic trend out there.... but I can't help but smell something strange. Some say lipstick, some say vanilla and floral, I kinda think it is play-doh. Strange, but true. It doesn't smell bad, just not for me.

09 May, 2013

's avatar

(***)

The true precursor to Dior Homme is likely Hanae Mori's HM, a monstrous, hissy cassis and vanilla. DH, while retaining HM's fruity core, thankfully scales everything down to a tolerable level and adds a touch of iris up top and cake batter below. The result? Another delicious, slightly boring gourmand that will appease generations of clubbers to come, and maybe even draw in a few parents.

19 February, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2013)

Nosebud's avatar

The first time you wear this your SO will think you have been cheating with a dominatrix.
    Lipstick and leather. I don't get good projection or sillage on this one, but I have only tried it this fall. Not offensive, not masculine, not interesting.

31st October, 2012

ToughCool's avatar

So for 2 years now I've continually tried this to see if I will ever like this scent. The answer finally came out to be a NO!But I have a neutral rating because the scent isn't bad, per se, where I find it offensive or cheap. I just find it too feminine on me. The issue I have is the iris..aka the lipstick note. It is one thing to have that in the opening and then dry down into something else but DH doesn't. The iris is ever present and that is sad because I like what I smell under the iris if it would ever go away. I liken it to the caption of the earth's crust in those old school science textbooks. There is the top layers and all of these exciting layers underneath with different stones, etc..except the top layer is always covering it. Its like a light blanket over something and you keep dipping and diving to see whats underneath and can barely get a look. Every time I smell the leather or something else I found pleasant it was quickly snuffed by that iris. Just a shame.

22 October, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Beautifully turned out sweet iris against a backdrop of tastefully, subdued woods – but what's with all the plastic? And why is it chewing on a cardamom pod?

08 May, 2012

Dmotron's avatar

I like it a lot and I want to love this. However, the drydown is too powdery and the fragance has some florals which isn't my cup of tea. I Love the scent, but I don't like it on me. It sexy though.

13 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2012)

Dictator's avatar

Certainly it's a very interesting creation. But it is too feminine too floral it could be the perfect scent for a ''modern women'' whatever it means.

Also it does have that wooden pencil smell that you find almost in all Dior’s. (I'm not a big fan of it but it reminds me the old days in school)

I give to it a neutral rate simply because I don’t think it’s a good fragrance for men but if you want to cultivate your feminine side go ahead. Overall it’s very elegant and refined but it’s too polite to be a good men’s fragrance .But it surely beats(by miles away) Bleu of Chanel since they compete together in the same class.

09 February, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Because of the common notes of citrus, lavender, patchouli, cacao, precious woods, boise-aromatic ingredients, flowers, nuts and seeds, in my opinion also cedar and further, is undeniable the resemblance of this one with Guerlain L'Instant, another warm-fresh woody floral that plays the game of contrasts. Both feature the link between woodsy aromatic elements-cacao-fresh lavender-flowers and both exude a sort of chocolatey/anisic balmy-nutty undertone with musky boise after smells that are a particular trait of the perfumed whiffs. In my opinion DH (which shares many similarities with the notorious Pour un Homme Caron) lacks anyway that severe and somewhat aristocratic-indolent aura unfolding by the Guerlain's one that is more astringent, woodsy and sharp with its anise-licorice boise undertone. In the dry down the differences start emerging and while DH becomes decidedly warm, ambery, kind of suede and almost gourmand with its stressed chocolatey after smell and despite a touch of vetiver, l'Instant retains its woodsy-musky-nutty-balmy feel while exhaling its edible-sweet nuances with a more stressed patchouli and cedar-lavender connection and with the presence of a more aromatic fluidity in the composition (the tea-lavender effect). Anyway, after a strong citrus-lavender and bergamot mastered beginning this scent becomes powdery, averagely soapy and with a prominent (barely laundry/earthy/leathery) iris note emerging from the talky, chocolatey, slightly buttery (lipstick) dust. Dior Homme is a more than decent kind of aroma but is decidedly several steps behind certain types of veritable masterpieces.

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 July, 2014)

Mike's avatar

I can see why many of the reviews on this fragrance are so polarized--my own opinions on Dior Homme are equally polarized. I do own a bottle, and half of the times that I wear it, I completely detect the unpleasant 'lipstick' accord (which I attribute to the cocoa note). The other half of the times, I am absolutely in love with its uniqueness. The powdery iris juxtaposed with velvety cocoa over a leathery base is quite novel for a men's fragrance. To be sure, I cannot recall any other mass-marketed men's fragrance that had such a soft, delicate, refined and yet still masculine aura to it. Some have said that Dior Homme is a hallmark of a fragrance, in that it paves the way for a new era of men's fragrances. It is bold by virtue of its unusual qualities. That being said, I cannot give it a thumbs up, primarily because of the times when the feminine 'lipstick' smell overrides my experience of the fragrance.

24 April, 2011

Pleski's avatar

Floral, powdery, plus I'm getting a sweet sawdust note, like from a woodworkshop.

Personally I wouldn't wear it. It's too much like those shopping mall scents they use to entice passer's by.

04 September, 2010

Sportsman5's avatar

Positives: inoffensive very fresh scent. I can't see how someone would not enjoy smelling this.

Possible Drawbacks: Longevity is a big concern. If you are looking for a day time scent for the warm weather or signature scent this may not be for you. It seems to last 5 or 6 hours and doesn't have great projection. So if you don't want to reapply at some point during the day, then I would avoid this fragrance.

Overall: great for a lunch date in the summer or spring. Otherwise, it would be tough to find a time to wear the scent without reapplying.

12 July, 2010

MrFragranceReview's avatar

It's a well made fragrance although the lipstick note is just far too prominent for me to really like it. I really want to try the intense version but this original is too "feminine" for my tastes. It's not feminine per say but smelling like lipstick is just not something I'd wear.
    It's a well crafted leathery iris scent with undertones of amber, very light cocoa(which I get later on) all the while being powdery. I'm not really a big fan of powdery fragrances overall yet, I think this would be exquisite on a woman. It's enjoyable although, is not my style of scents which I'd like to wear.

28 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2011)

Balavassassin's avatar

I find this frag fresh...re inviting to a cool breeze yet..pretentiously synthetic. A dissapointment, just lacks character for me :(. Not chameleon enough in my opinion, though would make a great summer frag!

A Neutral Verdict for me!

14 January, 2010

longhair's avatar

I received a sample of Dior Homme in the mail recently, and have had a couple of opportunities to try it. I'm a novice, but this smells very strongly similar, immediately and for hours, to Mr. Pibb soda in a glass bottle. That may sound odd, but it's not an entirely bad thing. I'm not certain when or where I would wish to exude this aura, but I'm certain there has to be an appropriate usage. I just don't know that it'd be worth my time to wear it in an attempt to conceive of such an elusive scene.

21st December, 2009

JonB's avatar

I agree with Joe_Frances, if I were to buy another Dior, it would not be this one, it would probably be Bois d'Argent. As others have said, this smells like my mother's purse. A bit too feminine for me I am afraid.

07 September, 2009

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Hm . . .too powdery and sweet though I'm unsure whether the aforementioned "lipstick" or "make-up bag" is the better adjective. Some women will undoubtedly find this romantic on a man they love, though I suspect most would probably enjoy it more on themselves. Class act if you like Iris.
    I think this should have been a signature scent for Lauren Bacall back in the 40's

02 August, 2009

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Uhm, wow, wat an insipid little flower. Tried this on skin (I'm a girl) because it sounded so great. Now, ok, just did two little spritzes on my hand... and poof, where'd it go!? Couldn't stand up to the tiny bit of L'Instant pour Homme I had on my other hand. This can't be too distinctive, or I'd have smelled something. I just got some soft, genderless... vague niceness. Eh.

30th July, 2009

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

Too leathery-powdery for me. It should have had a hint of smoothness in it. I know it's good, its original- if you like Iris blossom and leather.

30th March, 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

It smells like a sweet, powdery, doughy confection to me. It feels elegant and a bit feminine. Not to my personal liking.

21st March, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

An example of modern day creative poverty from Christian Dior. Lacking in originality, it aspires only to co-exist with its host, never once daring to harmonize or become engaging in anyway. From its application to expiry, I found this to be meek and timorous in a way that baffled and irritated me. Too bland to even warrant a thumbs down.

26 February, 2009

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Great material, great bottle, but the iris note is a little overwhelming in my opinion. I prefer the 'Cologne" version which is more citrus and the iris is more subdued.

26 February, 2009

lex's avatar

sweet powdery spices.doesnt stand out and make me wanna wear it.

22 February, 2009

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

Nothing interesting or spectacular to say here. Overrated.

Check the Dow Jones and Nasdaq. We are in very hard economic days. Protect your money and dont spend in products who dont deserve your atention.

Longevity, average.....Sillage, average. I repeat, overrated.

I will give a Neutral because I m with good mood. Try Dior Homme Sport.

13 February, 2009

DolceBanana's avatar

Smelled very nice the first time. Then kind of reminded me of a urinal cakes in mens room. Too sweet. Don't wear in the summer, but its good for cold nights.

25 November, 2008

MFJ's avatar

Synthetic yet appealing. A good floral-based scent that is contemporary and warm. I agree that this is overrated and does not stand out. Off-loaded not so long after acquiring because it does get boring.

13 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2009)

Kabamaru ninja's avatar

Greece Greece

Its a nice sweet,smooth and yes as it is said smells like crayon mixed with
    a woman's purse but in a nice way!how can that happens ?
    Because it is a Dior product I trust this house.
    to me that leathery soft smooth smell is perfect not for anytime,I think is perfect for formal use or romantic meetings.
    And here is my idea,I wore it when I was in my black leather jacket,my date
    was amazed and love this scent(she said no doubt its a man's fragrance)
    concluding this review I can say this is a good scent also to me is inoffensive
    but not a great one.