Positive Reviews of Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Find out more about Dior Homme by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

pandaKrusher's avatar

Books. This smells exactly like a bunch of books. Specifically, a library built in the 1960s. Every time I wear it, I'm controlling a microfiche machine. I am the only person on the Internet who thinks Dior Homme smells like books (I checked). Maybe it's because my childhood library also sold lipstick and powder and was adjacent to an iris farm.

I don't know if I like it, so in my confusion I am giving it a thumbs up. I need to return an overdue book.

28th May, 2014

Preston H's avatar

I originally bought this in 07 and gave it to a girlfriend of mine because I didn't feel it was a scent for a man. I tried it again at sephora while waiting on my brother and this time it seemed a little drier, less sweet. One thing is still the same, it's the perfect night scent. I wouldn't recommend wearing this when the sun is out. This was created for nightclubs and bars, if you're looking for trouble ;)

22nd May, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

I really love this, no need to write a detailed review as it is much common and pretty much any perfume fan knows it. Luckily I still own a pre-reformulation bottle. Still getting chills each time I spray this on. I admit there is more interesting, deep, complex stuff around, but still... my guilty pleasure.

26th December, 2013 (Last Edited: 27th April, 2014)

's avatar

Fantastic, fantastic scent.

Dior Homme has positioned itself solidly as my signature scent.

I have the reformulated version, which to some is a tragedy. However, I have smelled both and I prefer this version over the original. Just my personal preference. I think the reformulated Dior Homme line, though missing certain aspects that some people raved about, is now a solid and consistent lineup with not much to really complain about.

Anyway, when I first sprayed this I got a huge blast of iris and leather. It turned me off since I'm not used to this kind of fragrance. Something kept pulling me in, and once the iris and cacao combo set in, I was hooked. I get something new every time I wear it, which is something i deeply appreciate about any form of art (writing, film, music). Sometimes, I get bright florals and earthy, rooty vetiver...other times I've gotten almost a tea-like note (I may be the only one who's gotten that, haha), but always that smooth, buttery iris and cacao drydown.

This is definitely not a scent for a guy who wants something cartoonishly masculine. This has depth and sensitivity, it's softer and subdued, smart and innovative.

On my skin, I get 6-8 hours. It projects just fine with 3 sprays, and in my opinion just isn't meant to be a loud scent that trumpets your arrival. It's meant to be discreet and toned down, yet attractive and inviting. Trust me, for what it is, it works just fine.

It's gonna take a heavy, heavy hitter to knock this from it's spot in my collection.

Pros: Well blended, great combination of notes, good performance.
    Cons: Some may find the opening to be a turn-off."

10th August, 2013

ijoshjosh's avatar

Perhaps the best perfume I've smelled so far

When I first sprayed this, I instantly thought of a private library, cozy, with a fireplace happily burning away in the corner. I was sitting in the middle, wearing a suit, on a plush armchair, about to start reading a book. It was one of the classiest scents I've ever smelled, and up there for one of the best. However, after I went on basenotes, and I saw the lipstick vibe comments, I couldn't get it out of my mind. The lipstick was obviously there, although I didn't pick it up the first time. To be honest, I just rock the lipstick vibe, and go with it. Aint no shame in my game.

Pros: Invigorating, pleasent, classy
    Cons: Slightly feminine"

04th August, 2013

pma55525's avatar

Pleasant and Entirely Unisex

On a girl, smart and elegant. On a man, bold and provocative. Dior Homme is thoroughly modern and intended for the cosmopolitan. Concerning the difference between the vintage and current offerings, the former is dominated more so by the iris while the latter's focus is on cocoa much like in Dior Homme Intense. Both, however, are beautiful and deserving of a try.

31st July, 2013

FranktheTank's avatar

Disappointed

I was very excited to give Dior Homme a shot after reading so much great stuff on it. I got a sample from Sephora, and wore it a couple times. I have to say, I'm very disappointed. The only thing I get from it is ladies makeup, lipstick, etc, and it just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I don't think it smells bad, but then again I don't want to be smelling lipstick all day long.

15th June, 2013

Wild Gardener's avatar

England England

Elegant, refined, sophisticated, discrete, excellent. An outstanding summer scent 5 stars.

10th May, 2013

fan.of.devin's avatar

I didn't think this fragrance could possibly live up to the hype surrounding it, but, damn... This stuff is downright wondrous.

Professional enough to wear to work, casual enough to wear to family events, seductive enough to wear on an intimate occasion, and so inoffensive and utterly likable as to fit everyday useage.

This is simply a must have... Blind buy!

10th May, 2013

Alexey's avatar

Germany Germany

My first designer fragrance and probably my first big love.

Dior Homme is probably one of the classiest and most elegant fragrances that there are out there. It embraces you with its soft wooden notes and puts a heavy armour of elegance around you. Like an expensive 3-piece-suit, it belongs (in my opinion) to everyone's wardrobe.

One of the kind. To the people who haven't tried it yet, I can only recommend it.

20th April, 2013

's avatar

Luckly i have this version which is a piece of art. Elegant and classy, this fragrance is very unique and has a great lasting power, sillage and projection. The latest version of DH is good, but not as good as this. This is amplified and the other version is muted. Lots of powdery thats very comforting to wear. Big thumbs up!

10th January, 2013

silentrich's avatar

Having heard a lot about this fragrance I finally got a chance to test it in it's vintage form. All the feminine and makeup bag stories always kept me away and I almost completely avoided the vintage formulation because of all the people complaining. Well I do get a huge iris note, but mixed with the cocoa it's 100% gorgeous. Feminine? Not on me it's not. I wore this for Christmas and as soon as my mother in law got within smelling distance she looked at me and said "Oh my goodness that cologne your wearing smells incredible!" Having your mother in law wanting to set next to you all night isn't the effect I wanted and sure wasn't what I expected. Note to self: Never wear this around her again!" Lol...anyways Dior Homme is a masterpiece and don't for a minute think this is too feminine for a guy's guy or a man's man to wear.

04th January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

A great masterpiece for me! Both this version as intense version (first formulation). Many complain of the smell of makeup or lipstick, I do not smell it, I smell is elegance, simple as that. DH is a classic from birth and a real gem!

20th December, 2012

Chris1788's avatar

Was my 'go-to' work scent for about a year, so classy and elegant I just couldn't go past it.

Fantastic longevity on my skin (8-10 hours), but projection is not over the top so it's great for office use.

I have the re-formulated version and wasn't lucky enough to smell the original formulation but apparently they aren't too different.

That sweet lipstick vibe is what puts some people off, and it's definitely there, but it's overally what makes the scent what it is and I absolutely love it.

Could probably be used as a unisex fragrance, certainly not the manliest of fragrances so that may also be off putting for some.

Probably the closest thing to a 10/10 overall scent I have ever smelled.

27th November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

This stuff is pretty good. A little sweet, but good. I think this could be a unisex scent. There is a fragrance named Thallium (Thallium is MUCH cheaper), which smells just like Dior Homme. If you get the opportunity, compare these two.

16th October, 2012

cello's avatar

I absolutely adore this fragrance, and truely believe it is class in a bottle - for anyone's use.

The velvet touch of iris powder used to softly blanket the usual masculine lavender, soft spice and leather - genious. This is pale silk in a bottle. The blend surrounds you in an aura of calm, it is just that beautiful. I rather believe it is better to just let the fragrance shift and blend, no need to dissect the notes. There is no lipstick - only silky powder over lavender, spice and leather. Just enjoy it!

This is a 5 star fragrance to me, and a tribute to perfumery even if it does not suit you personally. A must sniff for everyone.

14th September, 2012

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Best designer EDT of 2000s. While I prefer Dior Homme Intense to this, this is undeniable great. The lipstick smell is second to none, and once the cacao starts working its magic, this becomes the embodiment of class. Very sexy, very classy, but also very metrosexual and modern. Perfect for the younger man who has a sense of style and knows how to show it.

09th September, 2012

Izzie's avatar

This is beautiful. I get the lipstick/makeup note, but it's not a negative to me. It just adds to the complexity of the scent.

To me, this smells like... the perfect date at a fancy restaurant. It's a romantic, comforting, classy scent. Not something I would recommend for daily wear, it's too special for it.

There's something about it that reminds me of a smooth whiskey.

Absolutely gorgeous scent, a unisex as far as I'm concerned but to the guys out there you shouldn't let that intimidate you. It's gorgeous on a man, and doesn't in any way make you smell "like a girl". Same goes for the ladies, it won't make you smell like a man. It's the kind of scent that will work with your personality and your style. It's a scent you wear, not one that "wears you".

17th July, 2012

rbaker's avatar

Dior Homme greets me with a restrained floral and fruity impression that is based on lavender and a subsequently increasing iris note. Later vanilla joins in with a touch of sweet leather, a bit like a fresher version of the Chanel EdT Cuir de Russie in some aspects. After the first hour I get mild cocoa-chocolate impressions.
    This fragrance is creamy, smooth without any edges, with the soapy lipstick base that has been mention many times previously. It has a formal touch and is a great evening scent.

A very soft, floral and gentle fragrance that is quite unique and very well composed. I can understand why the term “metrosexual” might be used in connection with Dior Homme. Longevity is a bit over two hours, which is not great.

12th July, 2012

senore01's avatar

I have always been into the so called "Macho" fragrances since the 80's. I would not categorize Dior Homme as a "Macho" scent. But Damn!!! This juice is fantastic. I absolutely adore the pronounced iris note and the dry down. It is wonderfully unique and works so well with my body chemistry. Christian Dior hit the nail on the head with this one. It breaks with common tradition as far as men's fragrances goes, but at the same time DH created a new level of sophistication and grandeur with this one. Men should not be afraid of trying it out. Yes, it's a tad on the feminine side, but I assure you that when you go out, compliments will be showered upon you. Give it a try.

08th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 19th July, 2012)

My_pep_pep's avatar

I love this fragrance, love it. It took a few tries for me to fall for it, like a few other of my favorites. I think of smooth, light brown spices and soft leather, and other stuff, maybe a whisper of lavender. Very elegant, and sticks to my skin for hours. Once applied there is no turning back. There are some subtle facets in the scent, unlike the Intense which I find more linear and less interesting (but not bad). I believe I have the pre-reformulated Dior Homme, if that matters.

20th May, 2012

andys's avatar

I am finding this quite a confusing fragrance.
    I actually think I may not be able to smell some of it's key elements?
    There is a burst of quite complex notes at the start, then it almost vanishes - yet there is a very significant but hard to describe "secondary" (?) aroma that has good longevity, but treads a fine line between ascerbic and sweet.
    As I say, i wonder whether I am actually missing the main element of the fragrance altogether...?
    Anyone else know what I mean (at all?...)
    Do other threads come up with this same theme- individual inability to sense specific notes within a blend? Too new to the forum to have seen any/found anything?

05th May, 2012

Habanos's avatar

I like this juice. the lipstick note is not that big a deal and it does have feminine qualities but in all this is a frag to wear to the wedding reception or any formal event. This smell is different in a good way, I guess you could say its a "metro" scent. Put on your black double monks and rock this stuff.

16th April, 2012

mesaboogie's avatar

The opening kicks things off with a blast of waxy iris that to me, conjures up the image of a woman's lipstick. It doesn't bother me at all, as I find the smell to be pleasant. Within an hour the cocoa comes around and harmonizes with the iris. The cocoa is smooth and decadent. It never turns into a gourmand, it just adds a sweetness to this elegant fragrance. The iris note never really leaves. It rides shotgun while the cocoa takes the wheel. The projection is strong at first but calms down to a moderate level a few hours in. The longevity is somewhere in the realm of 6-8 hours. This is not something I'd wear everyday. This is a special occasion type of scent.

30th March, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

I came to find Dior Homme when on a shopping expedition, searching for a new male fragrance to gift my love.

Dior Homme strikes me as being very classy and sophisticated. This fragrance is essentially what I'd imagine a male model smelling like. A metrosexual fragrance, you may ask? I would agree entirely.

Mostly woodsy and aromatic, (particularly with the lavender and sage notes), Dior Homme does have a touch of sweetness, somewhat vanillic in its nature. The iris also gives this fragrance a unisex feel, which I think is correct. I would definitely consider wearing this fragrance myself on certain occasions.

The scent itself is smooth, confident and alluring. It doesn't have that animalistic effect that some male fragrances have on me, however if a man were to try and seduce me, while subjecting me to smelling this fragrance, I could get myself a little worked up on it. It's a scent that tends to crawl its way into your heart.

The sillage and lasting power of Dior Homme is well-worth the money spent. Dior makes such quality scents that I often feel that they deserve much more praise than they are given.

I was actually surprised to discover how unique Dior Homme is. As is the case with many popular male fragrances, I find them pleasant yet generic at the same time. Dior Homme was a nice discovery.

Unfortunately I found this fragrance too sophisticated for my rather creative and wild man. But in regards to buying something for my male friends, Dior Homme will be kept as a potential gift in my mind.

22nd March, 2012

killerloop's avatar

The way this smells reminded me of how it feels to fall in love. This is a masterpiece, absolutely beautiful.

FYI: The bottle I have is the original formulation, silver tube/silver ring.

28th February, 2012

jupiter7's avatar

The only reason i don't own this/wear it regularly is because while i love the scent, i have yet to find anyone who likes this. i've asked many of my friends/family/girlfriend and not one has been into it. Projection could be better but the longevity is quite long lasting. it's simple, elegant, and can be dressed up or down.

05th January, 2012

Matt14's avatar

so i went to sephora with my gf a couple weeks back to do some christmas shopping and went straight to the mens fragrance area because there is really nothing else for a guy to do in there aside from expanding his cologne horizon..

anyway..i noticed they had dior homme with the silver tube for sampling and sprayed it on the paper and eventually the back of my hand. at first i didn't like it because it had a black licorice/anise kind of smell that everyone considers to be the "lip stick" smell. after about 10-15 minutes the lipstick smell (which on my skin was kind of cloying) went away and the real fragrance came alive which smelled really nice and good for an everyday kind of smell. I eventually told my gf to get it for me for christmas or that I would get it.

well, christmas came around and she got me dior homme...only thing was that the boxes they had for sale there weren't the silver tubed dior homme. they were the black tube (remake). i told her that it's a different fragrance than the one i got a sample of from sephora but sprayed it on to try it out and honestly....I LOVE IT. i think its way better than the OG Dior Homme(at least on my skin). It doesn't have that cloying lipstick/black licorice smell that annoyed me for the first 10 minutes. however, the scent is also a lot lighter and and doesn't last as long on my skin as it's predecessor. it smells as if they added different notes to it like maybe a very subtle vanilla or something.

i'd recommend trying both out because I'm more than satisfied with the remake.

scent 9/10
    longevity 7/10
    projection 6/10

29th December, 2011

martinijo's avatar

England England

For me this is the best. Would maybe come over a little strange on a macho man but this beautiful fragrance keeps me floating as long as I can smell it, which is a long time, especially on clothes.

19th October, 2011

kakashihatake78's avatar

Is this perfume feminine? Does it smell of lipstick? Maybe. But I tell you something. The smell is perfect. I do not care if it is unisex, female or whatever. It is unique, classy, elegant, sophisticated.... A masterpiece of modern perfumery.

Dior Homme is "Paris in a bottle"

Scent: 5/5
    Projection: 3/5
    Longevity: 3/5

I'm talking about the bottle with the silver tube.

18th October, 2011