Reviews of Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Find out more about Dior Homme by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

1009's avatar

Just purchased a bottle of what must be the reformulated version. Whilst the old version was a dynamic powerhouse, the new stuff is flat and weak, lasting 1-2 hours at most on my skin. Very disappointing.

22 July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral

I'd better find a piece of furniture to duck behind before I get going here...

Dior Homme has a very conventional sweet citrus opening, with a blend of abundant white flowers welling up underneath. A very strong, soapy lavender soon takes center stage, while the persistent citrus note grows so tart as to become discordant. The much-vaunted iris starts out very deeply buried under all the heaps of lavender.

It takes at least a half an hour for the ugly citrus top note to fade and the lavender to loosen its grip enough to release any of the other notes. Only then does the iris come into full focus, surrounded by a white floral bouquet and resting on some rather anemic woods and just a touch of powder. Quite a bit of sweet fruit lingers through the development, and this leaves Dior Homme smelling a little ordinary to me, given the number of saccharine fruity designer scents on today's market. By the time it's reached its powdery, soapy dry down, I've lost all interest in this fragrance.

Did I say "ordinary" somewhere? Thought so. I'll take Iris Silver Mist, Iris Bleu Gris, Bois d'Iris, or Iris Poudre over Dior Homme any day.

12 June, 2014

pandaKrusher's avatar

Books. This smells exactly like a bunch of books. Specifically, a library built in the 1960s. Every time I wear it, I'm controlling a microfiche machine. I am the only person on the Internet who thinks Dior Homme smells like books (I checked). Maybe it's because my childhood library also sold lipstick and powder and was adjacent to an iris farm.

I don't know if I like it, so in my confusion I am giving it a thumbs up. I need to return an overdue book.

28 May, 2014

Preston H's avatar

I originally bought this in 07 and gave it to a girlfriend of mine because I didn't feel it was a scent for a man. I tried it again at sephora while waiting on my brother and this time it seemed a little drier, less sweet. One thing is still the same, it's the perfect night scent. I wouldn't recommend wearing this when the sun is out. This was created for nightclubs and bars, if you're looking for trouble ;)

22 May, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

I bought the reformulation bottle several months ago.
    This is a classy fragrance. great for special occasions like wedding day, a date, work meetings and ...
    But you can also wear it casually!
    Start with huge dose of iris and some sweetness and also some coco. only hint of coco!
    After that, in the dry down, the sweet and powdery iris comes in and this is the best part of this fragrance in my opinion! and also it's the worst part of this fragrance for so many guys out there!
    Because this part is feminine for them and they get lipstick vibe!
    But I don't have any problem with this scent and I think it's a great scent!
    In the base, the iris is still there with some sweetness and only hint of spicy and woodsy notes.
    Great smell but average projection and above average longevity with this guy.

10th May, 2014

MarquisdeSod's avatar

Dior "Homme" - Marketing over Manliness
    So I finally got my nose on the newer Dior line, L'Eau, Sport, Intense, and I don't think it's worth tackling all of them in reviews beyond saying they're astonishingly mediocre. So I'll stick to thir daddy, the acclaimed Dior "Home", "Homme" in quotation marks as this is perhaps the most feminine thing I've ever smelled on either side of the fragrance aisle, Miss Dior Cherie is a butch flannel-wearing trucker compared to this delicate flower.

Look I'm all for a little gender bending in perfumery as long as it's done within reason, but Dior Homme smells like something straight out of the venerable Britney Spears line. From the vaunted lipstick (iris) top note to what strikes me as a cocoa and orange blossom drydown, this smells like the cosmetic-encumbered hand bag of a 15 year old girl. I don't get sophistication, and there's certainly nothing "homme" about this fagrance.

Dior "Homme" is, however, a testament to what good marketing and brand image will do for you. Frankly, this smells like something that belongs in the Katie Perry or Rihanna range of Coty-made air fresheners, it's not at all distinct and frankly, but not for the "Dior" provenance the scent could easily lost among the sea of teeny-bopper gourmands. I'm told what I smelled has been reformulated, but unless they pulled out a giant gob of cedar or oud in the original incarnation I very much doubt my opinion would change.

Ladies that are looking for a soft floral gourmand might want to look at this, but then again, Rihanna Rebelle does something very similar at 1/4 the price, so I can't even recommend it for the ladies.

Dior Homme is a testament to marketing savvy, the actual product is a middle of the road feminine gourmand. Fortunately I didn't go for a blind buy, I got a couple samples, and will be giving away the second, yuck.

24 April, 2014

bFlay's avatar

I want to like this more... I sampled this on numerous occassions and thought it was a nice scent. Not an "incredible fragrance", but nice. It's expensive so that had kept me from purchasing it for more sustained wearing. About a month ago I found it at a reduced price in a discount store and picked up a bottle. Opens with a sweet spicy floral quality. Has a distinctly waxy accord that invokes thoughts of low-end cosmetics. However, I get compliments on this and actually enjoy it some hours after applying when it breaks down and develops a more predominently spicy note and a pure iris accord. I like iris notes, I think it is the best masculine floral. So Dior Homme is nice. I would not pay full price for it and probably won't wear it frequently or certainly not on any special occassions...

27 February, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

On me this is a harsh leather, sharp and aldehydic. Reminiscent of Guerlain's Heritage, but without the refinement, the balance, the sophistication. Also reminiscent in its tobacco-ish dryness of Fracas For Men.

It's rather a one note scent that repels rather than attracts. More chemical than charismatic.

Another of the recent scents which fall far short of their seeming aim.

28 January, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

I really love this, no need to write a detailed review as it is much common and pretty much any perfume fan knows it. Luckily I still own a pre-reformulation bottle. Still getting chills each time I spray this on. I admit there is more interesting, deep, complex stuff around, but still... my guilty pleasure.

26 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 27 April, 2014)

byandthrough's avatar

Fantastic, fantastic scent.

Dior Homme has positioned itself solidly as my signature scent.

I have the reformulated version, which to some is a tragedy. However, I have smelled both and I prefer this version over the original. Just my personal preference. I think the reformulated Dior Homme line, though missing certain aspects that some people raved about, is now a solid and consistent lineup with not much to really complain about.

Anyway, when I first sprayed this I got a huge blast of iris and leather. It turned me off since I'm not used to this kind of fragrance. Something kept pulling me in, and once the iris and cacao combo set in, I was hooked. I get something new every time I wear it, which is something i deeply appreciate about any form of art (writing, film, music). Sometimes, I get bright florals and earthy, rooty vetiver...other times I've gotten almost a tea-like note (I may be the only one who's gotten that, haha), but always that smooth, buttery iris and cacao drydown.

This is definitely not a scent for a guy who wants something cartoonishly masculine. This has depth and sensitivity, it's softer and subdued, smart and innovative.

On my skin, I get 6-8 hours. It projects just fine with 3 sprays, and in my opinion just isn't meant to be a loud scent that trumpets your arrival. It's meant to be discreet and toned down, yet attractive and inviting. Trust me, for what it is, it works just fine.

It's gonna take a heavy, heavy hitter to knock this from it's spot in my collection.

Pros: Well blended, great combination of notes, good performance.
    Cons: Some may find the opening to be a turn-off."

10th August, 2013

ijoshjosh's avatar

Perhaps the best perfume I've smelled so far

When I first sprayed this, I instantly thought of a private library, cozy, with a fireplace happily burning away in the corner. I was sitting in the middle, wearing a suit, on a plush armchair, about to start reading a book. It was one of the classiest scents I've ever smelled, and up there for one of the best. However, after I went on basenotes, and I saw the lipstick vibe comments, I couldn't get it out of my mind. The lipstick was obviously there, although I didn't pick it up the first time. To be honest, I just rock the lipstick vibe, and go with it. Aint no shame in my game.

Pros: Invigorating, pleasent, classy
    Cons: Slightly feminine"

04 August, 2013

pma55525's avatar

Pleasant and Entirely Unisex

On a girl, smart and elegant. On a man, bold and provocative. Dior Homme is thoroughly modern and intended for the cosmopolitan. Concerning the difference between the vintage and current offerings, the former is dominated more so by the iris while the latter's focus is on cocoa much like in Dior Homme Intense. Both, however, are beautiful and deserving of a try.

31st July, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

Was once a great fragrance; Not anymore though

Several years ago, Dior Homme was one of the best fragrances on the market. I gave it 5 out of 5. However, now, the reformulation changed this fragrance from a masterpeice to one that is decent and not bad at all, but not nearly as remarkable as the original. I rarely ever complain about reformulations because many times (most of the time) they are just minor and insignificant. This is not one of those times. This reformulation weakened this fragrance, though it's not nearly as much of a trainwreck as what happened with Fahrenheit.

What does the reformulation change? It still smells similar but it completely lacks the virility, power, energy, and uniqueness of the original. Now it's just a light spray of make-up powder and lipstick. This reformulation is much lighter and diluted. Even with several sprays the fragrance was weak and after 2 hours, it was really difficult to smell. The projection and longevity leave a lot to be desired.

Get the vintage if you can because this one just doesn't do justice to the original. As for the current one, don't make it a priority to sample this one, but if you feel you have to, keep your expectations low. It's all in all decent, but your money is better spent elsewhere.

28 July, 2013

FranktheTank's avatar

Disappointed

I was very excited to give Dior Homme a shot after reading so much great stuff on it. I got a sample from Sephora, and wore it a couple times. I have to say, I'm very disappointed. The only thing I get from it is ladies makeup, lipstick, etc, and it just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I don't think it smells bad, but then again I don't want to be smelling lipstick all day long.

15 June, 2013

Wild Gardener's avatar

England England

Elegant, refined, sophisticated, discrete, excellent. An outstanding summer scent 5 stars.

10th May, 2013

fan.of.devin's avatar

I didn't think this fragrance could possibly live up to the hype surrounding it, but, damn... This stuff is downright wondrous.

Professional enough to wear to work, casual enough to wear to family events, seductive enough to wear on an intimate occasion, and so inoffensive and utterly likable as to fit everyday useage.

This is simply a must have... Blind buy!

10th May, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

This is nice because it bucks the generic citrus/pepper generic trend out there.... but I can't help but smell something strange. Some say lipstick, some say vanilla and floral, I kinda think it is play-doh. Strange, but true. It doesn't smell bad, just not for me.

09 May, 2013

Alexey's avatar

Germany Germany

My first designer fragrance and probably my first big love.

Dior Homme is probably one of the classiest and most elegant fragrances that there are out there. It embraces you with its soft wooden notes and puts a heavy armour of elegance around you. Like an expensive 3-piece-suit, it belongs (in my opinion) to everyone's wardrobe.

One of the kind. To the people who haven't tried it yet, I can only recommend it.

20th April, 2013

's avatar

(***)

The true precursor to Dior Homme is likely Hanae Mori's HM, a monstrous, hissy cassis and vanilla. DH, while retaining HM's fruity core, thankfully scales everything down to a tolerable level and adds a touch of iris up top and cake batter below. The result? Another delicious, slightly boring gourmand that will appease generations of clubbers to come, and maybe even draw in a few parents.

19 February, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2013)

's avatar

Luckly i have this version which is a piece of art. Elegant and classy, this fragrance is very unique and has a great lasting power, sillage and projection. The latest version of DH is good, but not as good as this. This is amplified and the other version is muted. Lots of powdery thats very comforting to wear. Big thumbs up!

10th January, 2013

silentrich's avatar

Having heard a lot about this fragrance I finally got a chance to test it in it's vintage form. All the feminine and makeup bag stories always kept me away and I almost completely avoided the vintage formulation because of all the people complaining. Well I do get a huge iris note, but mixed with the cocoa it's 100% gorgeous. Feminine? Not on me it's not. I wore this for Christmas and as soon as my mother in law got within smelling distance she looked at me and said "Oh my goodness that cologne your wearing smells incredible!" Having your mother in law wanting to set next to you all night isn't the effect I wanted and sure wasn't what I expected. Note to self: Never wear this around her again!" Lol...anyways Dior Homme is a masterpiece and don't for a minute think this is too feminine for a guy's guy or a man's man to wear.

04 January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

A great masterpiece for me! Both this version as intense version (first formulation). Many complain of the smell of makeup or lipstick, I do not smell it, I smell is elegance, simple as that. DH is a classic from birth and a real gem!

20th December, 2012

Chris1788's avatar

Was my 'go-to' work scent for about a year, so classy and elegant I just couldn't go past it.

Fantastic longevity on my skin (8-10 hours), but projection is not over the top so it's great for office use.

I have the re-formulated version and wasn't lucky enough to smell the original formulation but apparently they aren't too different.

That sweet lipstick vibe is what puts some people off, and it's definitely there, but it's overally what makes the scent what it is and I absolutely love it.

Could probably be used as a unisex fragrance, certainly not the manliest of fragrances so that may also be off putting for some.

Probably the closest thing to a 10/10 overall scent I have ever smelled.

27 November, 2012

Nosebud's avatar

The first time you wear this your SO will think you have been cheating with a dominatrix.
    Lipstick and leather. I don't get good projection or sillage on this one, but I have only tried it this fall. Not offensive, not masculine, not interesting.

31st October, 2012

ToughCool's avatar

So for 2 years now I've continually tried this to see if I will ever like this scent. The answer finally came out to be a NO!But I have a neutral rating because the scent isn't bad, per se, where I find it offensive or cheap. I just find it too feminine on me. The issue I have is the iris..aka the lipstick note. It is one thing to have that in the opening and then dry down into something else but DH doesn't. The iris is ever present and that is sad because I like what I smell under the iris if it would ever go away. I liken it to the caption of the earth's crust in those old school science textbooks. There is the top layers and all of these exciting layers underneath with different stones, etc..except the top layer is always covering it. Its like a light blanket over something and you keep dipping and diving to see whats underneath and can barely get a look. Every time I smell the leather or something else I found pleasant it was quickly snuffed by that iris. Just a shame.

22 October, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

This stuff is pretty good. A little sweet, but good. I think this could be a unisex scent. There is a fragrance named Thallium (Thallium is MUCH cheaper), which smells just like Dior Homme. If you get the opportunity, compare these two.

16 October, 2012

photofinish's avatar

Odd, powdered cosmetics and hot cocoa scent that manages to be neither masculine nor interesting.

03 October, 2012

cello's avatar

I absolutely adore this fragrance, and truely believe it is class in a bottle - for anyone's use.

The velvet touch of iris powder used to softly blanket the usual masculine lavender, soft spice and leather - genious. This is pale silk in a bottle. The blend surrounds you in an aura of calm, it is just that beautiful. I rather believe it is better to just let the fragrance shift and blend, no need to dissect the notes. There is no lipstick - only silky powder over lavender, spice and leather. Just enjoy it!

This is a 5 star fragrance to me, and a tribute to perfumery even if it does not suit you personally. A must sniff for everyone.

14 September, 2012

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Best designer EDT of 2000s. While I prefer Dior Homme Intense to this, this is undeniable great. The lipstick smell is second to none, and once the cacao starts working its magic, this becomes the embodiment of class. Very sexy, very classy, but also very metrosexual and modern. Perfect for the younger man who has a sense of style and knows how to show it.

09 September, 2012

Izzie's avatar

This is beautiful. I get the lipstick/makeup note, but it's not a negative to me. It just adds to the complexity of the scent.

To me, this smells like... the perfect date at a fancy restaurant. It's a romantic, comforting, classy scent. Not something I would recommend for daily wear, it's too special for it.

There's something about it that reminds me of a smooth whiskey.

Absolutely gorgeous scent, a unisex as far as I'm concerned but to the guys out there you shouldn't let that intimidate you. It's gorgeous on a man, and doesn't in any way make you smell "like a girl". Same goes for the ladies, it won't make you smell like a man. It's the kind of scent that will work with your personality and your style. It's a scent you wear, not one that "wears you".

17 July, 2012