Reviews of Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Find out more about Dior Homme by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Mr.StripeyPants's avatar

I have a strange relationship with Dior Homme. I used to love it and, according to many people who smelled it on me, Dior Homme really loves me. I've only gotten more compliments on one other fragrance ever. To me, wearing Dior Homme is like wearing the olfactory equivalent of a nice chambray shirt and a well-tailored navy blazer---it suits my age and lifestyle and I can't seem to go wrong with it. But as I learn more about fragrance and try new things, it feels a little staid. And just like I get bored with my good navy blazer and wear it anyway, I 'm getting bored with DH despite how suitable it is for me.

To be fair, it smells good. I can smell the iris note, faintly, but it fades quickly. It's strongest scent component for me is of a just-opened packet of instant hot cocoa, the kind with the tiny dried marshmallows inside. There's a powder puff, cocoa and caramelized sugar sweetness thing that's pleasant. Many reviewers mentioned a leather note that I don't get but I agree with those reviewers who picked up a suede note---it reminds me of a suede shirt I own.

Just like I need to dress up my good navy blazer with a jaunty pocket square, I've started to accessorize Dior Homme by layering it with other fragrances. Pairing it with Bulgari Black creates a nice effect on me. I follow the advice of other Basenoters and put on the Bulgari first, wait ten minutes for the burnt rubber opening blast to calm down and then spray on DH.

But the DH layering combo that gets me guaranteed compliments comes from pairing it with the ridiculously cheap Axe/Lynx body spray Dark Temptation. When I spray that and DH on together some sort of alchemy takes place and I get lots of compliments. I asked my teenage daughter, why more women talk to me when I wear the Dior Homme/Dark Temptation combo than any other scent I wear. And she told me, "Because it makes you smell like a chocolate chip cookie." Yes, but a sexy chocolate-chip cookie in a suede shirt.

23rd April, 2015

aquila_2009's avatar

Iran Iran

Salutation.

You can not feel bad wearning this fragrance if you are a real Gentleman!DIOR HOMME is truly one of the best fragrances in the world and for ever.very complex fragrance and very surprising how many man wear this!

My father always wears this cologne and my opinion smelled like the perfect fragrance.Definitely very SPECIAL and CLASSY.a great night fragrance for the colder months of the year.

The top notes is a little fresh with bergamot.The middle notes make the composition seem so romantic and warm.The base notes is more masculine and woody on my skin and long lasting.anyway it is HIGH QUALITY.

Thank You CD.

8.5/10

22nd April, 2015

Timothée Kal's avatar

Zambia Zambia

To be honest I had so much confidence in this masterpiece as I tested the reformulation instead but got the vintage bottle due to overwhelming response to a thread I posted but to be brutally honest I think I enjoyed the reformulation more and I think it performed way better than the vintage. It was more spicy and edgy to say the least but I can't go without saying that the vintage DH feels more refined and richer. Vintage DH is without a doubt a masterpiece in its own right but compared to the reformulation, I think I'd have to say the reformulation sails my boat.

15th April, 2015

clamnole's avatar

I know everyone loves this one, but I really struggle with Iris notes. They always seem to be too feminine for a men's fragrance. Dior Homme is no exception. Great quality, great house, just not to my liking.

16th March, 2015

Oviatt's avatar

I am bewildered by the success of this scent. Lipstick, makeup and lipstick..... I cannot think why any man would want to smell like this. Drag queen in a bottle (a great looking bottle, by the way). I am SORT of on board with the gender blurring of certain florals and cross-ever frags like Jicky, Mitsouko, etc. (although I do not wear them) but why would a man want to smell like expensive foundation? Do women want men to smell like this? Or for that matter, do other men want men to smell like this? While I know that the current line of thinking is that no particular essence--particularly a floral one--is inherently either feminine or masculine, the fact is that the iris note is so closely associated with woman's makeup that it is really hard to imagine why this appeals. On a woman, it would smell like she spent a lot of time at the makeup counter and walked right past the fragrances. NOT deserving of having a place alongside the Eau Sauvages of the world.... What would Jules say to this?

25th February, 2015

ClassicFan's avatar

I tried a sample of this. I like it but it's not very strong on my skin. The iris and leather at the beginning makes it seem like black licorice. After a few minutes the vetiver, lavender and leather come out at the same time with neither overpowering the other. This could be used by a man or woman. The result is nice when I don't drink deeply of the scent but waft my wrist next to my nose. I would love to spray a ton of this on me and go on a date or to a movie.

24th November, 2014 (Last Edited: 05th December, 2014)

maxall's avatar

This scent disappoints me on a very deep level. It is an olfactory manifestation of ambivalence, indecision, denial and self-judgment. If it was a person, it would be that cute guy that wants to connect so badly, but runs away once you make it clear that you are up for it. It exists due to the same insecurity that inspire men call another "man", not by name, but by the "you are anybody to me" referents of "man", "bro" or "buddy". It is a scent that is tantamount to that kind of guy that yearns for your eyes to meet his, but then once they do, he looks and walks away. It is for the kind of guy that will go to his grave without more than a moment of insight into the fleeting nature of life and the value of the moment and the connection from which he mindlessly runs away, time and time again. It is a weak scent, not because of any perceived "effeminate" powderiness or lack of resonance, but, due to its clinging to a heteronormativity and system of social construction that serves to bind it to the title of HOMME. It contains a beautiful, human, humble, sweet, needy, kind and open iris powder base that is suffocated by the likes of a Creed-like (banal) citrus/synthetic "clean-scented" cloak of shame and ignorance. The gravely square bottle and sobersided title are also part of this costume. A costume that serves to convince its wearer that the exact reason why he wants to wear it is the antithesis of the reason why he is wearing it.

PS- I give this a neutral, rather than negative, rating because I remain hopeful that the beautiful little iris base that yearns for acknowledgment and connection will have the guts to actually seek out the light of day, some day.

26th October, 2014

1009's avatar

Just purchased a bottle of what must be the reformulated version. Whilst the old version was a dynamic powerhouse, the new stuff is flat and weak, lasting 1-2 hours at most on my skin. Very disappointing.

22nd July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral

I'd better find a piece of furniture to duck behind before I get going here...

Dior Homme has a very conventional sweet citrus opening, with a blend of abundant white flowers welling up underneath. A very strong, soapy lavender soon takes center stage, while the persistent citrus note grows so tart as to become discordant. The much-vaunted iris starts out very deeply buried under all the heaps of lavender.

It takes at least a half an hour for the ugly citrus top note to fade and the lavender to loosen its grip enough to release any of the other notes. Only then does the iris come into full focus, surrounded by a white floral bouquet and resting on some rather anemic woods and just a touch of powder. Quite a bit of sweet fruit lingers through the development, and this leaves Dior Homme smelling a little ordinary to me, given the number of saccharine fruity designer scents on today's market. By the time it's reached its powdery, soapy dry down, I've lost all interest in this fragrance.

Did I say "ordinary" somewhere? Thought so. I'll take Iris Silver Mist, Iris Bleu Gris, Bois d'Iris, or Iris Poudre over Dior Homme any day.

12th June, 2014

pandaKrusher's avatar

Books. This smells exactly like a bunch of books. Specifically, a library built in the 1960s. Every time I wear it, I'm controlling a microfiche machine. I am the only person on the Internet who thinks Dior Homme smells like books (I checked). Maybe it's because my childhood library also sold lipstick and powder and was adjacent to an iris farm.

I don't know if I like it, so in my confusion I am giving it a thumbs up. I need to return an overdue book.

28th May, 2014

Preston H's avatar

I originally bought this in 07 and gave it to a girlfriend of mine because I didn't feel it was a scent for a man. I tried it again at sephora while waiting on my brother and this time it seemed a little drier, less sweet. One thing is still the same, it's the perfect night scent. I wouldn't recommend wearing this when the sun is out. This was created for nightclubs and bars, if you're looking for trouble ;)

22nd May, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

I bought the reformulation bottle several months ago.
    This is a classy fragrance. great for special occasions like wedding day, a date, work meetings and ...
    But you can also wear it casually!
    Start with huge dose of iris and some sweetness and also some coco. only hint of coco!
    After that, in the dry down, the sweet and powdery iris comes in and this is the best part of this fragrance in my opinion! and also it's the worst part of this fragrance for so many guys out there!
    Because this part is feminine for them and they get lipstick vibe!
    But I don't have any problem with this scent and I think it's a great scent!
    In the base, the iris is still there with some sweetness and only hint of spicy and woodsy notes.
    Great smell but average projection and above average longevity with this guy.

10th May, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

I'm in love!

What a gorgeous fragrance this one is! The bottle, the juice... just gorgeous!

Dior has always tried to go in a different direction and really set a trend for men's fragrances, ever since Fahrenheit in 1988 when they decided to turn the male fragrance world on it's head, they did it again almost 20 years later with Dior Homme in 2005. Dior takes what it is to be a man and turns it upside down, turns the angle, shifts the perspective, so that you come to appreciate it even more.

To put it simply, Dior Homme does NOT smell like a typical men's fragrance, yet it IS masculine. Iris is a flower not used in male perfumery, it is used extensively in female fragrances (notably the butch/androgynous Chanel No.19), but here it is used in a way which, coupled with leather, Vetiver and Patchouli, gives off a very dry earthy vibe which still smells smooth and elegant. Now this isn't for every man, and many may say it's feminine. But to me, this just smells GOOD, in fact it smells really special.

This was the fragrance which started my interest in perfumery, without Dior Homme, I wouldn't even be here. The first time I smelt this, I fell in love.

In fact, first time I tried this, I really didn't associate the smell itself with any particular gender or sexual orientation... instead I thought to myself: "Wow! This is the best damn smell I've ever come across! Pure class & sex all in one gorgeous bottle..."

Listen, I don't expect everyone to like this, but for me, it just does it. Iris lightly dusted in cocoa powder, smooth creamy leather throughout, dry vetiver and earthy patchouli at the base, to me this smells like you are the richest man, the smoothest talker, both the familiar lover, and the dark stranger, the ultimate magician, the boss. All these personas rolled into one. I don't give a damn what you say... what you think... what you presume... or how you judge it. This. Stuff. Is. Beauty.

Dior, Mr. Slimane, Bravo, sir... I salute you!

30th April, 2014 (Last Edited: 12th December, 2014)

MarquisdeSod's avatar

Dior "Homme" - Marketing over Manliness
    So I finally got my nose on the newer Dior line, L'Eau, Sport, Intense, and I don't think it's worth tackling all of them in reviews beyond saying they're astonishingly mediocre. So I'll stick to thir daddy, the acclaimed Dior "Home", "Homme" in quotation marks as this is perhaps the most feminine thing I've ever smelled on either side of the fragrance aisle, Miss Dior Cherie is a butch flannel-wearing trucker compared to this delicate flower.

Look I'm all for a little gender bending in perfumery as long as it's done within reason, but Dior Homme smells like something straight out of the venerable Britney Spears line. From the vaunted lipstick (iris) top note to what strikes me as a cocoa and orange blossom drydown, this smells like the cosmetic-encumbered hand bag of a 15 year old girl. I don't get sophistication, and there's certainly nothing "homme" about this fagrance.

Dior "Homme" is, however, a testament to what good marketing and brand image will do for you. Frankly, this smells like something that belongs in the Katie Perry or Rihanna range of Coty-made air fresheners, it's not at all distinct and frankly, but not for the "Dior" provenance the scent could easily lost among the sea of teeny-bopper gourmands. I'm told what I smelled has been reformulated, but unless they pulled out a giant gob of cedar or oud in the original incarnation I very much doubt my opinion would change.

Ladies that are looking for a soft floral gourmand might want to look at this, but then again, Rihanna Rebelle does something very similar at 1/4 the price, so I can't even recommend it for the ladies.

Dior Homme is a testament to marketing savvy, the actual product is a middle of the road feminine gourmand. Fortunately I didn't go for a blind buy, I got a couple samples, and will be giving away the second, yuck.

24th April, 2014

bFlay's avatar

I want to like this more... I sampled this on numerous occassions and thought it was a nice scent. Not an "incredible fragrance", but nice. It's expensive so that had kept me from purchasing it for more sustained wearing. About a month ago I found it at a reduced price in a discount store and picked up a bottle. Opens with a sweet spicy floral quality. Has a distinctly waxy accord that invokes thoughts of low-end cosmetics. However, I get compliments on this and actually enjoy it some hours after applying when it breaks down and develops a more predominently spicy note and a pure iris accord. I like iris notes, I think it is the best masculine floral. So Dior Homme is nice. I would not pay full price for it and probably won't wear it frequently or certainly not on any special occassions...

27th February, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

On me this is a harsh leather, sharp and aldehydic. Reminiscent of Guerlain's Heritage, but without the refinement, the balance, the sophistication. Also reminiscent in its tobacco-ish dryness of Fracas For Men.

It's rather a one note scent that repels rather than attracts. More chemical than charismatic.

Another of the recent scents which fall far short of their seeming aim.

28th January, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

I really love this, no need to write a detailed review as it is much common and pretty much any perfume fan knows it. Luckily I still own a pre-reformulation bottle. Still getting chills each time I spray this on. I admit there is more interesting, deep, complex stuff around, but still... my guilty pleasure.

26th December, 2013 (Last Edited: 27th April, 2014)

Fantastic, fantastic scent.

Dior Homme has positioned itself solidly as my signature scent.

I have the reformulated version, which to some is a tragedy. However, I have smelled both and I prefer this version over the original. Just my personal preference. I think the reformulated Dior Homme line, though missing certain aspects that some people raved about, is now a solid and consistent lineup with not much to really complain about.

Anyway, when I first sprayed this I got a huge blast of iris and leather. It turned me off since I'm not used to this kind of fragrance. Something kept pulling me in, and once the iris and cacao combo set in, I was hooked. I get something new every time I wear it, which is something i deeply appreciate about any form of art (writing, film, music). Sometimes, I get bright florals and earthy, rooty vetiver...other times I've gotten almost a tea-like note (I may be the only one who's gotten that, haha), but always that smooth, buttery iris and cacao drydown.

This is definitely not a scent for a guy who wants something cartoonishly masculine. This has depth and sensitivity, it's softer and subdued, smart and innovative.

On my skin, I get 6-8 hours. It projects just fine with 3 sprays, and in my opinion just isn't meant to be a loud scent that trumpets your arrival. It's meant to be discreet and toned down, yet attractive and inviting. Trust me, for what it is, it works just fine.

It's gonna take a heavy, heavy hitter to knock this from it's spot in my collection.

Pros: Well blended, great combination of notes, good performance.
    Cons: Some may find the opening to be a turn-off."

10th August, 2013

ijoshjosh's avatar

Perhaps the best perfume I've smelled so far

When I first sprayed this, I instantly thought of a private library, cozy, with a fireplace happily burning away in the corner. I was sitting in the middle, wearing a suit, on a plush armchair, about to start reading a book. It was one of the classiest scents I've ever smelled, and up there for one of the best. However, after I went on basenotes, and I saw the lipstick vibe comments, I couldn't get it out of my mind. The lipstick was obviously there, although I didn't pick it up the first time. To be honest, I just rock the lipstick vibe, and go with it. Aint no shame in my game.

Pros: Invigorating, pleasent, classy
    Cons: Slightly feminine"

04th August, 2013

pma55525's avatar

Pleasant and Entirely Unisex

On a girl, smart and elegant. On a man, bold and provocative. Dior Homme is thoroughly modern and intended for the cosmopolitan. Concerning the difference between the vintage and current offerings, the former is dominated more so by the iris while the latter's focus is on cocoa much like in Dior Homme Intense. Both, however, are beautiful and deserving of a try.

31st July, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar

Was once a great fragrance; Not anymore though

Several years ago, Dior Homme was one of the best fragrances on the market. I gave it 5 out of 5. However, now, the reformulation changed this fragrance from a masterpeice to one that is decent and not bad at all, but not nearly as remarkable as the original. I rarely ever complain about reformulations because many times (most of the time) they are just minor and insignificant. This is not one of those times. This reformulation weakened this fragrance, though it's not nearly as much of a trainwreck as what happened with Fahrenheit.

What does the reformulation change? It still smells similar but it completely lacks the virility, power, energy, and uniqueness of the original. Now it's just a light spray of make-up powder and lipstick. This reformulation is much lighter and diluted. Even with several sprays the fragrance was weak and after 2 hours, it was really difficult to smell. The projection and longevity leave a lot to be desired.

Get the vintage if you can because this one just doesn't do justice to the original. As for the current one, don't make it a priority to sample this one, but if you feel you have to, keep your expectations low. It's all in all decent, but your money is better spent elsewhere.

28th July, 2013

FranktheTank's avatar

Disappointed

I was very excited to give Dior Homme a shot after reading so much great stuff on it. I got a sample from Sephora, and wore it a couple times. I have to say, I'm very disappointed. The only thing I get from it is ladies makeup, lipstick, etc, and it just doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. I don't think it smells bad, but then again I don't want to be smelling lipstick all day long.

15th June, 2013

Wild Gardener's avatar

France France

Elegant, refined, sophisticated, discrete, excellent. An outstanding summer scent 5 stars.

10th May, 2013

fan.of.devin's avatar

I didn't think this fragrance could possibly live up to the hype surrounding it, but, damn... This stuff is downright wondrous.

Professional enough to wear to work, casual enough to wear to family events, seductive enough to wear on an intimate occasion, and so inoffensive and utterly likable as to fit everyday useage.

This is simply a must have... Blind buy!

10th May, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

This is nice because it bucks the generic citrus/pepper generic trend out there.... but I can't help but smell something strange. Some say lipstick, some say vanilla and floral, I kinda think it is play-doh. Strange, but true. It doesn't smell bad, just not for me.

09th May, 2013

Alexey's avatar

Germany Germany

My first designer fragrance and probably my first big love.

Dior Homme is probably one of the classiest and most elegant fragrances that there are out there. It embraces you with its soft wooden notes and puts a heavy armour of elegance around you. Like an expensive 3-piece-suit, it belongs (in my opinion) to everyone's wardrobe.

One of the kind. To the people who haven't tried it yet, I can only recommend it.

20th April, 2013

(***)

The true precursor to Dior Homme is likely Hanae Mori's HM, a monstrous, hissy cassis and vanilla. DH, while retaining HM's fruity core, thankfully scales everything down to a tolerable level and adds a touch of iris up top and cake batter below. The result? Another delicious, slightly boring gourmand that will appease generations of clubbers to come, and maybe even draw in a few parents.

19th February, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2013)

's avatar

Luckly i have this version which is a piece of art. Elegant and classy, this fragrance is very unique and has a great lasting power, sillage and projection. The latest version of DH is good, but not as good as this. This is amplified and the other version is muted. Lots of powdery thats very comforting to wear. Big thumbs up!

10th January, 2013

silentrich's avatar

Having heard a lot about this fragrance I finally got a chance to test it in it's vintage form. All the feminine and makeup bag stories always kept me away and I almost completely avoided the vintage formulation because of all the people complaining. Well I do get a huge iris note, but mixed with the cocoa it's 100% gorgeous. Feminine? Not on me it's not. I wore this for Christmas and as soon as my mother in law got within smelling distance she looked at me and said "Oh my goodness that cologne your wearing smells incredible!" Having your mother in law wanting to set next to you all night isn't the effect I wanted and sure wasn't what I expected. Note to self: Never wear this around her again!" Lol...anyways Dior Homme is a masterpiece and don't for a minute think this is too feminine for a guy's guy or a man's man to wear.

04th January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

A great masterpiece for me! Both this version as intense version (first formulation). Many complain of the smell of makeup or lipstick, I do not smell it, I smell is elegance, simple as that. DH is a classic from birth and a real gem!

20th December, 2012