Neutral Reviews of Vetyver by Fragonard

Find out more about Vetyver by Fragonard in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

The opening stinks but it stinks in an old fashioned, aristocratic Gallic manner. People might come to the conclusion that scores of your ancestors were guillotined by Robespierre during the revolution!

Do you care for Route du Vetiver? The Third Man? Fourme' d'Ambert on crackers? About a 9+ on the machometer. Interesting and unusual take on Vetiver.

11th March, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 December, 2011)

zenpiper's avatar

Didn't like the way it began, but then, after about 45 minutes, it settled down into a very comfortable scent. Of the Fragonards, it is not my favorite. The person who said "austere" was correct. It sure is, and it is also dry and fairly warm-smelling. This is a borderline power scent and it is very pleasant (after a while) but I don't think it's for me.

19 July, 2007

Randolph314's avatar

I want to like this, but it's a little old school for me. It's by no means bad, but it's a heavier and darker take on vetiver than I'm used to, and I can't see wearing it often.

15 July, 2007

odysseusm's avatar

Revised my earlier review, which had been more positive.
    This is a dry, crisp, rather simple scent. Non-offensive, safe choice for the office.
    I can't really say that it smells of anything in particular. I don't get vetiver as a distinct note. Perhaps there are pine needles, but frankly the scent is mostly a somewhat synthetic, "fresh" sort. It is not problematic... just not particularly exciting. I have the pre-2011 version. Yes, it bears some resemblance to Tsar.

03 April, 2007 (Last Edited: 01st August, 2014)