Reviews of Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Find out more about Hamptons by Bond No. 9 in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

RichNTacoma's avatar
    RichNTacoma

Soft and floral top notes. A very ozone- like citrus note. Mostly soft white flowers. I am not digging this so much. I get a bit of rose, very light, air freshener like. Now read the notes, and I do get the ice tea note. I don't want to smell like ice tea, or at least not this ice tea. Pass.

22 December, 2013

dany06's avatar
    dany06

This smells like a cosmeceutical or body cleansing product. Its linear and has decent projection. It reminds me of a fragrance that should be faint and in the background but it inst. The scent has a familiar quality but I don't really find people walking around smelling like it. So I'd say to a person wearing this that he smells good versus asking what is he wearing? It smells refined and well groomed. Don't assume i'm talking about prep school old money well groomed. Its pretty boy damn i look good in the mirror metrosexual well groomed.

Its a very clean scent. Like a barely masculine soapy scent although not soapy. I guess its more of an aquatic clean scent. I could imagine smelling this on a well groomed guy right after primping and getting dressed for the day. Its not shower fresh. Its after you finish grooming fresh with hair styled and clothes on.

I think it could work as a unisex fragrance but it veers more towards the masculine side. I've never smelled creed's smw but this smells like a way way way better version of clean shower fresh for men after the dry down or a cologned up bottle of the blue shower to shower body powder.

Overall I give the fragrance thumbs up.

22 March, 2013

noirdrakkar's avatar
    noirdrakkar

I do get some of Silver Mountain Water here, but the tea notes are way overpronounced. With the citrus, it truly smells like like 1/2 SMW, 1/2 Iced Tea.

These are not the smooth tea notes that you will find in fragrances like Gucci Pour Homme II, Bulgari Black, Midnight in Paris, and Silver Mountain Water, but rather the kind that is likenable to a bottle of Snapple.

This a good fragrance, but for the same exact price, just get yourself a bottle of Silver Mountain Water, rather than this cheap knockoff (whether the similarities were intentional or unintentional).

This is one of the many Bonds that are way overpriced, compared to the quality that you get. This could easily compete with a lot of $50 fragrances out there, but not in the $200+ price range that it is selling for.

07 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 November, 2012)

jimmyfresno's avatar
    jimmyfresno

I don't know about Bond. It seems these fragrances artfully concoct the most synthetic, impersonal aspects of fragrances that are all supposed to conjure memories with their elaborate backstories. I almost try to ignore the descriptions of perfumes because they are all so hyped, but Bond's word artestry is sublime.

Hamptons is supposed to be unisex, but comes across as feminine only because it is so chipper. Beyond "fresh," it is hair product clean. I think it is a touch of synthetic rose, combined with a soapy accord, that does it, although rose isn't listed in the notes.

Someone said that Bond is great with topnotes but basenotes are crafted unsuccessfully. I would guess that the basenotes are purposefully lacking because Morganthaler is trying to keep the topnotes supersonically high without muddling them. If the topnotes were worthy of this treatment, I would approve.

03 July, 2012

surge's avatar
    surge

Alright, so after spending a month with both this and Cree'd Silver Mountain Water, I have to say that I prefer Bond. They are *extremely* similar, and yeah SMW came out 10 years before Hamptons did and Bond totally ripped off Creed, but Hamptons has this really metallic true silver note at the top, where as SMW does not have this. They both have the "hairspray" notes, but I think combined with the metallic note at the top, Bond wins.

Longevity for both is not good considering they are both EDPs...I get around 4 hours max.
    Cold weather? Fuh-get-abow-tit. 2 hours!

Projection is about the same.

I'll go with Hamptons every time.

17 February, 2012

killerloop's avatar
    killerloop

This smells too similar to Creed's Silver Mountain Water for me to ever consider buying as it would not make sense to have both in my wardrobe.

It's a pleasant fragrance but has more to it through the opening and mid stages of it. The dry down is extremely light and is feminine compared to what SMW leaves, which is one of the few reasons I love SMW.

If you want a lighter alternative to SMW, this fits the bill. While not a bad frag at all, I would purchase SMW over Hamptons every time.

26 December, 2011

Notreveh's avatar
    Notreveh
    Brazil Brazil

This one opens up with a light citric bergamot aroma combined with a delicate combo of floral notes dominated by lime blossom, which trough time develops into a jasmine dominant fragrance and so, it stays like that for the rest of the fragrance. Not bad at all, but nothing outstanding as well, in my opinion. Thumbs down just because it is not worth the price tag.

13 November, 2011

Blowe46's avatar
    Blowe46

I honestly would have enjoyed this if it were a pure clone of SMW. However, it's a poor clone that seems to last longer.

I honestly thought this smelled like bug spray -- call me a tyro -- that's how it came across.

07 July, 2011

foetidus

Another Bond No. 9 rip-off of Creed: Hamptons has been sanitized and made woodier and less sweet, but it is pretty much a blatant copy of Silver Mountain Water. I can understand why some might like this better than SMW—it is cleaner, more technologically precise, and it forms a more predictable pattern in its development than does Silver Mountain Water; I don’t know for certain but I would guess that Hamptons would be less variable on different skin types, too. My main problem with Hamptons is that it just doesn’t smell as good SMW—it is not as strong (not that SMW is strong) and it doesn’t seem to project the higher vibrational notes that I find so attractive in SMW. Also, it is probably just my subconscious, but I think Hamptons is lacking in the creative character that is so prevalent in Creeds (and other maker’s fragrances that Bond copies), and that seems to me to be so missing in the Bonds. But then, as in all preferences in the fragrance universe, it all comes down to skin, nose, personal preferences, and personal prejudices. Hamptons is a very good fragrance, of course, it’s copied from one of the best, and Bond uses excellent ingredients and quality production. But I’ll continue to buy SMW.

05 December, 2010

MrFragranceReview's avatar
    MrFragranceReview

This fragrance I've been going back and forth on this one. Initially I liked it, then i felt it was a bit too chemical-esque. After sampling on skin more it loses that and is quite nice and loses that chemical edge. It feels like a better Silver Mountain Water. SMW loses it's top notes and it's base is rather dull and flat. Hamptons is extremely long lasting and projects very well which isn't common for this type of scent. On paper it's not very pleasing but on your skin is where it shines. It isn't highly original but it smells great on skin and one I like.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 August, 2011)

arcady59's avatar
    arcady59

I think this smells like a blast of Himalaya with the addition of peppery Silver Mountain Water notes in the drydown. Overall it doesn't seem to change much, like a longer lasting, little-changing hybrid Creed that is very, very strong. So strong, in fact, that it can be quite cloying; literally one spray was all I needed to feel over-saturated by this stuff. Think Bleecker Street strong; it lasts for days. The scent doesn't evolve much, almost uncannily so, but a peppery note definitely does appear, bringing the hint of SMW. Overall the drydown makes me think of Bond No.9 in general, if that makes sense.
    This is a classy scent, but far less inventive than some of Bond's other fragrances (really not inventive at all). Creed definitely reigns supreme in the upper echelon of classic, classy scents, but Bond is up there too; with scents like this, it adds some classic parfume to its avant-garde offerings, making it a very distinct House itself.
    Alas, I think of Andy Warhol Silver Factory, my favorite scent at this time, and wish this was a bit more creative. As a scent of New York, though, this is fittingly called Hamptons.

21st May, 2010

sjohnjay's avatar
    sjohnjay

While Silver Mountain Water smells decent, but doesn't last,
    This smells like bung, yet lasts into the next day.
    That's all I've got.

21st March, 2010

Andyjreid's avatar
    Andyjreid
    Scotland Scotland

To me this is neutral as it smells exactly like one of the types of L'oreal hair gel. Not a bit like it, but the exact same smell. That leads me to the point that its not a bad smell or one that I dislike. Just not really my style, I mean I'd maybe wear it if it didnt cost £150 a bottle.

P.S. It was L'oreals Radical Gel from the late 90's

10th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2009)

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

This makes the new Brooklyn fragrance from Bond seem positively brimming with invention and style. Boring and graceless.

30th March, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 June, 2009)

ThrowingShade's avatar
    ThrowingShade

Wow! This smells so good on me! It smells EVEN BETTER after about 30-40 minutes. Very crisp at first and then mellows wonderfully. I am really falling in love with more and more Bond no. 9 scents, this could be terrible for my bank account...

19 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 May, 2009)

sammyo's avatar
    sammyo

This is awful. I completely agree that this smells like something straight out of the Creed stable (and SMW in particular). I don't have much time for many Creed scents. I certainly don't have much time for SMW. I gave this a lot of opportunities to do something for me. I tried it over and over again, followed its "development" (in this case, more of a disappearance after 20 minutes). I then tried it again a couple of days later with the same results. It smells clean and fresh but there is a dischord about the whole apparatus.

17 March, 2009

mcjra's avatar
    mcjra
    Philippine Philippine

This scent somewhat reminded me of Kouros, but way, WAY more controlled. It's very soapy, clean, and invigorating. An aquatic type fragrance that stands out. Also, it's very masculine to my nose.

10th February, 2009

mnaonbn's avatar
    mnaonbn

This is a less musky and refined version of Creed's Silver Mountain Water (SMW). The oddity, however, is that in addition to smelling a bit like SMW, Hamptons has undercurrents (pun intended) of tire/rubber and hairspray. Unlike the bottle design, this is not a star, but then again, none of the Bond fragrances are. Still, they're all interesting to smell even if many of them seem to mimic Creed frags.

08 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2009)

DULLAH's avatar
    DULLAH
    Turkey Turkey

A "wetter" and sweeter Silver Mountain Water.
    With a worse, more synthetic base, lacking smoothness on it's exit.
    Less depth and spaciousness when compared to SMW.
    Laurice does so well copying topnotes and making them younger and sweeter, even does pretty well with middle notes...
    ...but her basenotes, for the price, are un-acceptable.
    Neutral vote because it's still better than the average designer stuff/

14 December, 2008

jrd4t's avatar
    jrd4t

I actually quite like this. I find it to be a refreshing, close scent that is the type of "clean" scent I can get into. It's bright, simple, and even somewhat dusty. The light floral top notes transform perfectly into a close skin scent that is unique in its own. Thumbs up from me.

29 September, 2008

ToughCool's avatar
    ToughCool

Unfortunately after sampling this for part of a day I'm going to have to agree with Merbert. There is something very "dirty comb" about this. Like bad hair gel mixed with scalp and dead hair and plastic. Just not good at all.

02 September, 2008

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Strikes me as an inferior imitation of Creed’s Silver Mountain Water (which I enjoy). I notice a glue-like note in the opening. Bond no. 9 has better offerings than this.

20th July, 2008

Merbert's avatar
    Merbert

I think Hamptons should be renamed "Eau de Dirty Comb". This vile juice is a dead ringer for a dirty comb or a dandruff-ridden scalp coated with cheap shampoo residue. It is completely dissimilar to Creed Silver Mountain Water save for the rapidity of its fade.

Fortunately this vile concoction washes off easily.

10th July, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

This doesn't smell like Silver Mountain Water to me at all. More like a mix of Erolfa and Zeste Mandarine Pampelmousse. Unfortunately, it ends just like ZMP; within an hour... poof gone.

03 July, 2008

Jemimagold's avatar
    Jemimagold

I was very disappointed with the Hamptons. I was hoping for an elegant riff on salt air, sea water, beaches, trees and maybe even a produce stand or two. Instead, it smells like a cheap knock-off of Creed's Silver Mountain Water that retails for $19.99 at your local drugstore. Simply put, Hamptons does not have the elegance or lovely drydown that SMW has and I really cannot wait to wash this off my wrist!

08 April, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

I have to concur with most of the reviews herein and say that this Bond is a pale reflection of both Silver Mountain Water and (to a lesser extent, granted) Erolfa.

For the price tag, one can almost get two Creed testers of the originals for the price of one Bond No. 9 Hamptons.

I think I'll stick with the Creeds, thanks.

26 December, 2007

Big nose's avatar
    Big nose

I like this fragrance. Smells very fresh and clean. If you like complements from people stick with bond 9 unisex and men's fragrances they always give me very positive attention. I've owned over 60 or 70 different men's scents. I love to look good and smell good and all the bond scents I have invested in have been right on the money.

25 December, 2007

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Hamptons is great on my husband and very good on me. I want to buy a Bond for my husband's upcoming birthday and I'm torn between Hamptons, Bleecker Street, and Wall Street. Of the three, I think he likes Hamptons the best because it's so clean and outdoorsy. It's perfect for wearing while playing golf or relaxing by the pool. I catch a whiff of Hamptons and can't stop myself from slinking toward that sexy smell...wearers - don't say I didn't warn you!

29 March, 2007

bsmith001's avatar
    bsmith001

This stuff is truly intoxicating. I've always been a big fan of Silver Mountain Water and while I do notice the similarities, Hamptons seems to be stronger and more masculine. SMW seems a little soft for some reason. I love it but had had comments that I smelled like a girl with it. lol. To me Hamptons is a bit more standout-ish. You can definitely notice it's actual parfum as well...it's strong. It seems to me to a be a more updated, crisper, and dry fragrance that has many notes of SMW. I know Bond No. 9 has been compared to Creed, but hey, why not start with them and make changes/improvements from there...Creed's one of the best.

19 March, 2007

rach2jlc's avatar
    rach2jlc

Not to add another negative review, but this one really is nothing special. If it cost $40, then it wouldn't be too bothersome, since it smells fairly pleasant but comes and goes without making an impression. The fact that it costs $180, though, makes it inexcusable. It is light and fresh, yes, but it does nothing more than any of the five dozen other fresh, light spring scents on the market that cost 1/4 as much. There are several Bonds that I like very much, but this certainly isn't one of them.

23 December, 2006