Neutral Reviews of Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Find out more about Hamptons by Bond No. 9 in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jimmyfresno's avatar
    jimmyfresno

I don't know about Bond. It seems these fragrances artfully concoct the most synthetic, impersonal aspects of fragrances that are all supposed to conjure memories with their elaborate backstories. I almost try to ignore the descriptions of perfumes because they are all so hyped, but Bond's word artestry is sublime.

Hamptons is supposed to be unisex, but comes across as feminine only because it is so chipper. Beyond "fresh," it is hair product clean. I think it is a touch of synthetic rose, combined with a soapy accord, that does it, although rose isn't listed in the notes.

Someone said that Bond is great with topnotes but basenotes are crafted unsuccessfully. I would guess that the basenotes are purposefully lacking because Morganthaler is trying to keep the topnotes supersonically high without muddling them. If the topnotes were worthy of this treatment, I would approve.

03 July, 2012

Andyjreid's avatar
    Andyjreid
    Scotland Scotland

To me this is neutral as it smells exactly like one of the types of L'oreal hair gel. Not a bit like it, but the exact same smell. That leads me to the point that its not a bad smell or one that I dislike. Just not really my style, I mean I'd maybe wear it if it didnt cost £150 a bottle.

P.S. It was L'oreals Radical Gel from the late 90's

10th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2009)

mcjra's avatar
    mcjra
    Philippine Philippine

This scent somewhat reminded me of Kouros, but way, WAY more controlled. It's very soapy, clean, and invigorating. An aquatic type fragrance that stands out. Also, it's very masculine to my nose.

10th February, 2009

DULLAH's avatar
    DULLAH
    Turkey Turkey

A "wetter" and sweeter Silver Mountain Water.
    With a worse, more synthetic base, lacking smoothness on it's exit.
    Less depth and spaciousness when compared to SMW.
    Laurice does so well copying topnotes and making them younger and sweeter, even does pretty well with middle notes...
    ...but her basenotes, for the price, are un-acceptable.
    Neutral vote because it's still better than the average designer stuff/

14 December, 2008

robyogi's avatar
    robyogi

IMO, lighter and softer than SMW, though very similar for sure. Hamptons seems to be more aquatic (more of a salt note), maybe a tad drier, with a bit of grassiness and dry florals in the mix. Not as musky as SMW. Certainly a warm weather scent. I find it stays close to the skin and does not last as long as I'd like, not as long as SMW (a scent with which I thankfully don't have any longevity issues). Good, but as others have commented, probably not worth the price unless this type of scent is really your thing.

28 July, 2006

MonkeyManMatt's avatar
    MonkeyManMatt
    Sweden Sweden

Although I think the Creed-plagiarism that Bond is often accused of is somewhat exxagerated, this one really confirms some of the conspiratoric thoughts. Hamptons is simply a blatant ripoff of Silver Mountain Water. It does have some own merits, BUT overall inferior and most of all I must question the pyramid since it doesn't even mention tea and blackcurrant which are obviously very present in the juice. Get the original instead, afterall the price difference isn't that big.

16 March, 2006

j_dubyah's avatar
    j_dubyah

Of course, those who have tried this will undoubtedly make a snap decision that this smell very much like Creed Silver Mountain Water...and they'd be very correct. However, just like a couple of the more recent Creed launches I can think of, this fragrances needs time to distill itself on the skin. While the fresh, clean, lightly aquatic qualities of this and SMW are very much cousins there are differences that take time and careful "study" to uncover. Still...for the price...I think I'll pass.

16 September, 2005