Reviews of Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Black by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Zenwannabee's avatar

I don't want to knock this too much, as I wore it a lot when it first came out. I like the scent and the projection, but found myself continually waiting for the dry-down that never seemed to happen--like being served a meal with a mango appetizer, mango entree, and for dessert...more
    mango. Just felt it needed a bit more oomph. But all-in-all a safe fragrance for everyday wear.

31st March, 2014

Raynor21's avatar

Polo Black is an uninspiring yet dependable friend. It's woody aroma lends itself perfectly for use in the winter (in the summer I find it way too warm) but the hints of fruitiness keep it from being suffocating.

During the fall/winter, I'll usually choose Polo Black when I'm at a loss for what to wear or need something "safe", but I never start my day reaching for it.

Like I said, the best word to describe it is dependable. I'll always have it in my collection, but I'll never brag about it.

29 November, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Another horse

The mango top note is quite pleasant, but benzoin with a very synthetic side note seem to overwhelm it at stages. The drydown has generic wood and a rather bland patchouli included, resulting in an overall not totally characterless product, but not a very exciting one either. Projection and silage all all right, and it lasts two hours on my skin. Soon the nth flanker will be released....

28 October, 2013

SnapDemon's avatar

Fresh

Smells good, but too synthetic.

12 September, 2013

noideawhatimsaying's avatar

Synthetic generic fragrance - at best as liquorish room spray, AT BEST. Smells like every other man out there. Is it awful? No. Is it special? DEFINITELY not.

25 April, 2013

bFlay's avatar

Opens with an almost overwhelming benzoin/medicinal smell. This lingers for 20 minutes before I moderate fruity note can be noted. Long after application (an hour or more), there is a vanilla-tobacco-patchouli quality that is pleasant if somewhat predictable. Lasts about 4-6 hours on skin/clothes and occassionally re-introduces that benzoin note...I'm ambivalent...othe "black" fragrances like Kenneth Cole and 1881 are far preferable!

14 March, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

The mango and Mellon notes make it stand above most generic department store fragrances. The spices add a nice touch. I think ti's is every bit as good as some of the Creeds I have smelled.

02 March, 2013

OCNBreeze7's avatar

Ralph Lauren has created another fragrance that will maintain popularity for years...

In my opinion, Polo Black provides a fragrance that is clean and fresh with mild fruity undertones. It is comparable to Diesel (Only the Brave), Versace Pour Homme, and can best be described as a mix between Light Blue (Dolce) and CK Free.

My reviews generally consider the following areas: price/value, appeal/smell, "wow factor" (compliments), longevity, uniqueness, best time of year worn or occasion, and easy on the nose (and bottle on the eyes).

Polo Black scores high in the "wow factor", as I have received numerous compliments from the opposite sex. It also scores well with longevity. I am especially fond of applying a moderate amount of any fragrance in the morning prior to work and it lasting the day without reapplying. Polo Black receives high marks in this area.

Polo Black smells great and while comparable to other fragrances, it does offer it's own unique essence. It is definitely a fragrance that can be worn any time of year and for any occasion without being overbearing.

My only criticism is the value of the larger bottles. Obviously, the large bottles are expensive and a strain on the wallet, Ralph Lauren has introduced smaller, more economical sizes, for those of us perceiving we are getting a deal (i.e. something under $30-$35 per bottle). Additionally, the smaller sizes are the perfect size for "sampling" and for the seasoned traveler.

All things considered, I would rate Polo Black as 4.75 stars (on a 5-star scale) and recommend adding it to your collection.

24 January, 2013

Mattybono's avatar

Polo Black is a very handsome, masculine fragrance that is perfect for the office or nights out. The mango opening is fresh and sweet and stays on throughout as the deeper spicy notes come in, meshed with a dash "Polo" signature muskiness. This is a solid choice and a good-buy because it is very dependable and non-offensive. I get great longevity 7-9 hours on average with 4 sprays. (8.5 out of 10)

12 January, 2013

Houndnotes's avatar

I don’t agree at all with all the negative reviews this fragrance has received.
    Ok probably it’s not a top one , it’s quite generic, a little bit synthetic and very sweet;
    but it’s also very spicy, modern and fresh with a decent sandalwood and patchouli dry down and i can assure you’ll get lots of compliments, if you decide to wear Polo Black, as women just love it.

24 November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

This is worse than Double Black. Surprisingly, this is the first frag that smelled like a house cleaner to me. I've seen a lot of reviews on basenotes that describe frags in that manner, but I thought they were over-exagerating.

Smelling this, makes me a true believer of a frag smelling like something you would clean your pots and pans with!..... I'm serious!

21st November, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2012)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Never truly tested it, only smelled the cap. Cold in character, bitter-sweet and quite synthetic, however also appealing. Under different circumstances I cannot ascertain wether my review would be positive or negative, so I'm rating it neutral.

18 October, 2012

Johannes's avatar

Norway Norway

Watery melons with a touch of leather. Plus the boozy "frat guy accord" that seems to be present in all of Ralph Lauren's stuff. Not unpleasant per se, but that accord just about screams "one of those American colognes!" I need something with a little more personality.

14 October, 2012

Nosebud's avatar

For me this was almost a neutral; let me explain. One of my coworkers wears this almost exclusively, and on him its smells great. On him the top and mid notes last the whole shift. A bit one-dimensional but all the women seem to love it and and I can't say it isn't pleasant (yes double negative but that is how people talk.)
    On me, this thing dries down in 15 minutes and is barely detectable as a skin cologne after an hour. Maybe his secret is 6 pumps but if that's the case then it isn't worth the price, even as it is.

12 October, 2012

Teach13's avatar

The first cologne I ever bought, before I really knew what I was doing (not that I'm much better now)...so maybe I'm a bit biased. I really like the way it sits on me--it smells the way I think a man in his lower 20s-upper 30s (when I bought it) should. Classy. It makes people say, "You smell nice," without being overpowering. This is my fall/winter date night scent.

13 August, 2012

Francolino's avatar

a blind buy, totally disappointing, citrusy and on the verge of sounding feminine, I will never buy this again, of course!

01st June, 2012

Botanika's avatar

Polo Black....OUI!!

Have you ever been to Canada? If not, that's too bad. If so, then hopefully you had the opportunity to meet our handsome French-Canadian men. Strong, sexy, intelligent and really really confident. That is what this fragrance embodies for me. The opening note is so juicy and bold, it screams "pay attention to me!!" So you do...and then you are trapped in his nets. The fragrance morphs into masculine woodsy notes and the patchouli leaves me begging!! Mon Dieu! This stuff is hot!!!

Really....truly...the scent is pure confidence (bordering on cocky...)!
    Oh la la...les beaux hommes canadiens-français!!!

03 May, 2012

The_Cologneist's avatar

Fantastic opening of fresh mango's with some creme behind it. But, as it dries down, so do the mango's, as they turn more synthetic smelling. They blend into the sandalwood note, which is done poorly in this fragrance IMO. Longevity is usually around the 4 hour mark for me, and projection is below average.

The flanker to this, Double Black, is quite excellent, although it lacks in the longevity and projection departments as well. I certainly see a correlation between the two. But, as far as this one goes, it gets a thumbs up by me. I find that it's okay to have a few designer scents with poor longevity and projection, hell, sometimes, I don't want my fragrance to last all day. Black is a great quick little "pick me up" fragrance. And what it lacks, it makes up for with its uniqueness, and versatility. If you're fortunate enough to have this one on while it's still projecting, you will definitely get compliments. My ex co-worker loved this so much on me, that she bought a bottle for herself. I can see it being unisex as well.

09 September, 2011

me2xv's avatar

I purchased a bottle of Polo Black a few years ago. The fragrance smelled good on the card, but when it was applied on my skin was a different story. This cologne smells just like plastic with a hint of lemon.

I actually swapped it for another fragrance.

I would not purchase again or recommend Polo Black to anyone.

06 September, 2011

kierroo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Had tried this many times when i was in town and friend off mind bought a bottle for himself from duty free 125ml for under £40

Polo black is now what its seems, u would believe due to the colour choice of black that this aftershave would be woody heavy and smell slightly like a biker.

But ever time i spray i can smell strawberry not to same extent as paco black xs but it is there and you can smell the lemon and other fruits overall polo black is a woody fragrance but thankfully the fruit notes gives this a little bit of a identity and different than pretty much any other woody fragrance

i would say this can be worn by any age and i would wear this at night or clubbing i get 6 hours when i spray this on. So buy this if you like it :D

25 July, 2011

Lo Grecco's avatar

The first time that I tried this perfume was back in 2006 and I remember I liked it. Today I've tried it again and did not like anything on it. Bad sillage, low longevity. As soon as I put it on the store I liked it a lot but after one hour and some, it smells not so good. I can tell you, I won't buy it.

28 June, 2011

sarahgelf's avatar

My lover wears this and I think it is insanely sexy

11th June, 2011

shamu1's avatar

Polo Black isn't all that bad. It's certainly better than Double Black, which smells like an air freshener for cars.

What I smell is mainly patchouli and an aquatic note. I love patchouli, hate Calone, so I guess they cancel each other out to end up with a neutral rating. The accord smells heavily synthetic, sort of like hair conditioner for hippies, and has a kind of watery herbal smell.

Polo Black smells good for about a half hour, during which time I find the patchouli note blends well with a dark fruity note. However, the Calone ultimately becomes too prominent and sort of ruins the accord, and Polo Black becomes dull and tiresome to wear. This could have been so much better if higher quality ingredients were used, and simply more fragrance notes were added to this very bare accord.

MY RATING: 6/10

21st April, 2011

Ac3ofspades's avatar

Overall a really good scent. The opening is very fresh and then it becomes sweet. Longevity is solid, i get about 7-10 hrs. Very safe fragrance that can be worn at any time for almost every occasion. Great piece to any collection.

24 March, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Decent woody aromatic fragrance with a good longevity and a sufficient level of distinction and freshness necessary for its aims. Polo Black is balanced in its admeasurement between warm and fresh notes and is a bit edible with its fruity ingredient of mango which is (shared) in common with the horrible following brother Double black. The latter and Polo Blue are a total olfactory flop in my opinion despite the marketing success of the Blue one. Polo Black is a better concoction instead, even if not unique, groundbreaking or easily recognizable. It is not anyway a cloying or overly synthetic one. There is not a stressed transition between the levels and the beginning is simply citrusy, green and aromatic with sage, silver armoise and the bit creamy/fleshy addition of mango, before the sliding of the scent towards a more ordinary woody base with dark patchouli and smoky mild tonka. Synthetic hedione infuses a touch of mild smoothness to the final outcome in order to level the corners. Polo Black man is a dynamic and self confident person with the full awareness of his qualities.

24 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2014)

DutchSchwag's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

A very fresh, tropical, enjoyable, unique and pleasant opening that makes good use of citric fruit over spice and greens to capture a wide range of moods, making it rather universal and best suited for a mass audience. A Ralph Lauren mantra since the manufacturing of Polo Blue that has suited them financially quite well, to say the least. Imbues a bit of Caribbean flair with a rather synthetic but fairly well blended mango and tangerine accords that press nicely against the sage and greener qualities. These elements are then layered over a prominently spicy patchouli presence that within 10-15 minutes starts to get creamier as the tonka bean becomes more prominent.
    The first 20-30 minutes are when Polo Black really shines, with the citrus taking full control and not allowing the patchouli and rather stale sandalwood note to reach center stage. A great seller in this respect, as the top and middle are very nicely done and find just the right balance between citric, herbal, and spicy, the perfect amount of time to sample, purchase and exit before realizing that Polo Black may not be all its cracked up to be.
    The problem unfortunately lies with the rather uninspired and bland basenote formulation, which lacks a dark and brooding presence to give it depth and muscle. The patchouli is far too prominent and cloying during the drydown and the tonka bean just doesn´t seem to hold as well as it should, struggling to emancipate itself from the restraint of the overemphasized patchouli and highly synthetic sandalwood. One can only imagine what a little tobacco or leather accord or a more prominent and improved organic tonka bean accord could have done for Polo Black to make it truly exceptional.
    This is nice, department store fodder but doesn´t have the same elegance and charm of Armani Code, which does a far finer job of finding a balance between cream, spice and citrus. Leans more in the direction of a skin scent and does seem to imbue the wearer with a sweet and creamy synthetic charm that does give this a certain versatility perfect for fall, spring or winter; day or night; casual or formal.
    Projection may be a bit below average on most skin but longevity seems to tremendously vary based on individual chemistry and environmental circumstances. I have gotten as little as 3-5 hours and as much as 10-12 hours, with colder weather climates generally inducing a longer stay of the patchouli and sandalwood residue.
    Certainly nothing to turn away from initially, Polo Black is very enchanting in its initial applications but after a few wearings quickly becomes tiresome to even the most loyal Ralph Lauren patrons. Blame it on the patchouli and sandalwood?

19 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2012)

Guinea54's avatar

Not sure why so many thumbs down on this site. Polo black is a very fresh and pleasant scent to me. I really enjoy it. Its clean smelling, has a touch of the ice mango and is very versatile. I have received many compliments from this fragrance, and I am a fan. Totally underrated.
    My Rating
    Scent- B+
    Longevity- C+
    Projection- B
    Compliments- A
    Versatility- A
    Overall- B+

Pros- A very clean fresh scent that is very versatile and gets many compliments.
    Cons- The RL name will never get too much hype on these communities. A little pricey. Nothing that unique or super original. Spotty longevity with some people.

08 January, 2011

Rotterdam's avatar

I was given this scent about a year ago, there really isn't much to say about it.

Want to smell professional? Check.

Want to smell just "good"? Check.

Want an innofensive, yet somewhat sexy fragrance? Check.

Want great longevity? Not happening with this one.

Want to project across the room? Too bad, this cologne won't do it.

Want to smell different? Sorry.

I guess this is just 100% in what YOU want. If your going for a safe, good fragrance. Hit this one up. Not too sure on what to say for the smell. I guess I'd describe it as a very masculine scent, peppery and woodsy.

11th December, 2010

jerichodeg's avatar

Philippine Philippine

It smells dirty. It's probably the leather. I got a dirty, OILY man hint from it.

30th November, 2010

Rescentment's avatar

After seven hours plus of wearing this my significant other picked out a cinnamon smell on me. Probably the tonka bean in the base notes. Seven hours plus in and she was really digging the smell.

I have never considered Polo Black to be one of the best in my collection. But she often makes a comment when I wear it. She loves it. She has suggested it as one of two fragrances to wear on our wedding day.

I know that I will be picking up another bottle when this one is done.

03 November, 2010