Negative Reviews of Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Black by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

clamnole's avatar

Sickeningly sweet mango and spice dominant fragrance with poor longevity. I generally like Ralph Lauren and find most of their fragrances well balanced. Black however, is less than the Polo standard. The mango wears me out way before the fragrance can die, which was about two hours tops.

I can't imagine wearing this anywhere ever.

06th April, 2015 (Last Edited: 07th April, 2015)

noideawhatimsaying's avatar

Synthetic generic fragrance - at best as liquorish room spray, AT BEST. Smells like every other man out there. Is it awful? No. Is it special? DEFINITELY not.

25th April, 2013

sjg3839's avatar

This is worse than Double Black. Surprisingly, this is the first frag that smelled like a house cleaner to me. I've seen a lot of reviews on basenotes that describe frags in that manner, but I thought they were over-exagerating.

Smelling this, makes me a true believer of a frag smelling like something you would clean your pots and pans with!..... I'm serious!

21st November, 2012 (Last Edited: 22nd November, 2012)

Nosebud's avatar

For me this was almost a neutral; let me explain. One of my coworkers wears this almost exclusively, and on him its smells great. On him the top and mid notes last the whole shift. A bit one-dimensional but all the women seem to love it and and I can't say it isn't pleasant (yes double negative but that is how people talk.)
    On me, this thing dries down in 15 minutes and is barely detectable as a skin cologne after an hour. Maybe his secret is 6 pumps but if that's the case then it isn't worth the price, even as it is.

12th October, 2012

Francolino's avatar

a blind buy, totally disappointing, citrusy and on the verge of sounding feminine, I will never buy this again, of course!

01st June, 2012

me2xv's avatar

I purchased a bottle of Polo Black a few years ago. The fragrance smelled good on the card, but when it was applied on my skin was a different story. This cologne smells just like plastic with a hint of lemon.

I actually swapped it for another fragrance.

I would not purchase again or recommend Polo Black to anyone.

06th September, 2011

Lo Grecco's avatar

The first time that I tried this perfume was back in 2006 and I remember I liked it. Today I've tried it again and did not like anything on it. Bad sillage, low longevity. As soon as I put it on the store I liked it a lot but after one hour and some, it smells not so good. I can tell you, I won't buy it.

28th June, 2011

jerichodeg's avatar

Philippine Philippine

It smells dirty. It's probably the leather. I got a dirty, OILY man hint from it.

30th November, 2010

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Ralph Lauren keeps on disapointing me, Polo Black is soooooooo generic and honestly, I did not enjoyed it at all. Trying to coattail the success of the original Polo without success.
    And what are "Green Effervescent Accords" and "Lush Liquid Accords" anyway? I'll tell you what: synthetics, period. And Hedione? It is Benzyl Salicylate, another synthetic. Ralph, you put american perfumery in shame. No wander we continue buying French, English and Spanish perfumes, because the icon of American perfumery keeps on putting junk in the market.

24th October, 2010

Mindphlux's avatar

This is a decent enough of a scent but it didn't do much for me on the account thats its rather generic. The smell is nothing new or different, really. If you enjoy darker citrus scents then this one is for you, but as for me, I pass.

04th May, 2010

micci's avatar

Kenya Kenya

I'm a BIG fan of Ralph Lauren (Safari & Polo Blue) but wow can a perfume get worse reviews..? lol Anyway the outrage is truly deserved ,this perfume is an olfactory travesty...generic and unimaginative....the bottle is neat though!
    Try Polo double black or Black by Kenneth Cole for a refined touch of the 'black' concept.

29th January, 2010

chamelion's avatar

a disaster polo black is a bland forgettable scent and the worst of the RL scents IMO they totally nose dived on this one

29th September, 2009

Tony T's avatar

not even as an air freshner. poor construction. poor judgement and a poor mainstream fresh scent. double black is much better.

06th July, 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

Absolutely hideous to me. To me it smells like fruity licorice supported by a watery accord. I find it to be nauseatingly unpleasant with no redeeming qualities for the several hours I endured it!

05th July, 2009

cosmicbrian's avatar

If you like the combo of Bug Spray and Melons you'll love this smell. I'm appalled that today's male fragrances all have the same god awful aromas. Far from masculine, foul repellent initial smell and then drying down to a feminine soft fragrance that leaves within an hour unless you take a bath in the stuff. The responses I get with every current "trendy" male fragrance is always the same. Is that Abercrombie? Aqua? and so on. They all smell the same and appeal to a certain female type. Most guys I know reluctantly put the trendy stuff on because "she likes it" but asked if we males like it? Not so much. I don't know about others but I'm sick of the unisex smell. I'd like to smell like a guy and not be asked if I'm wearing some teenage boys expensive cologne.

30th April, 2009

mjh's avatar

I had a bottle of this once. Could not stand wearing it. It smelled like "dirty" hot leather. Kind of erotic but not for me.

07th March, 2009

Galleddrim's avatar

Old dried fruit. That's all I get from this. Maybe a bit of leather too, but that just makes it smell dirty. Polo Black is kind of a disappointment, to put it mildly. With the designation "black" I was hoping for a decent evening frag. But I find this totally unwearable.

21st January, 2009

's avatar

I bought this fragrance without wearing it on my own skin. Bad bad idea. It smelled great on someone else I knew, but on me I had a unbearable headache with in minutes.

The dry down is so sharp it cuts through your skull like a knife. I think theirs to much alcohol in this scent to notice the other ingredients. Unfortunately, its another fragrance smothered by alcohol.

I wanted to like this one, but it didn't work out for me.

20th January, 2009

joekingbn's avatar

One of the most disgusting perfumes I have. It smells like softened vomit, acid bile. You know when you throw up? It smells like that, it also causes the same reaction when I smell it. To get the perfect effect just smell straight from the bottle. It makes my throat clog and my stomach churn. I get a bit of wet cheesy sock on the drydown. Have I got a bad bottle? Maybe not.

29th November, 2008

odysseusm's avatar

I’ve tried Polo Black four times, and I like it less each time. Enough! It has some elements (sage, armoise, aka. artemesia) that have the potential to be appealing. But all these “green effervescent accords” and “lush liquid accords” and hedione translate into an overly-synthetic and irritating scent. It is a shallow scent: airy-fresh with no redeeming depth or character, something like smelling cool air blasting out of a freezer full of frozen green things.

07th July, 2008

40ish's avatar

Alternated this fragrance with Nautica in 2007 and guess how many unsolicited stranger comments I got...0. 0 comments = 0 score. My deodorant got more than that.

21st April, 2008

Kaern's avatar

Oh dear -- big recoil from the card. Generic awfulness.

Kaern

07th April, 2008

bokaba's avatar

Polo Black is a mixture of some type of room freshener and plastic. Far from the original Polo.

27th December, 2007

scentaddiction's avatar

Horrible. Ralph Lauren has produced nothing of note since the original Polo....I say that, and I am only 30 years old. Polo sport was for kids, Polo Blue had some summertime value, Romance sucks, Romance silver had a bit of blackberry potential, but it's longevity was worse that its Classic Match counterpart, and now this rubbing alcohol with a hint of acetone should land Lauren in the Stetson aisle. Wal-Mart will be pleased.

17th December, 2007

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Normally, Ralph Lauren colognes agree with me more than any other brand.

Not here.
    The Mango is good, but alot of the rest is too sharp and bright to be called black.
    To me, this smells more like POLO CHROME, or POLO ALUMINUM.

There are multiple notes that disagree with me alot.

01st November, 2007

Carl999's avatar

Once again...Disappointing. My opinion of this is negative.

I just find it boring and I feel that this has already been done.

And Double Black is NO improvement over it.

I do appreciate it on a friend of mine, but this is certainly nothing I would go out to buy for myself, or anyone else...

I dunno where I think I'm getting this "already-done" sense or feeling from, maybe to my nose it just smells a little to generic, or soemthing.

I do like its dark feel, but just nothing exciting, and the drydown/development leaves a lot to be imagined.

Sorry guys, thumbs down on this one.

Just nothing special, and everyone I know raves on about it, and its new younger, darker brother, Double Black. I have a ling-time affinity and passion with and for fragrances, but I can;t find anything "GREAT" about these Polos.

12th June, 2007

tonton's avatar

Lebanon Lebanon

THIS ISNT A BAD SCENT BUT IT LASTS FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF MAX SO ONE MUST REAPPLY EVERY HOUR AND A HALF.VERY EXPENSIVE FOR A VERY SHORT LASTING SCENT.NOT A GOOD BUY.

22nd April, 2007

4mul8's avatar

I dont understand this.. the more i smell it the worse it gets. it is a very risky smell and overpowering and choking if you get too much on. wear it too long and you will get a headache.. and not many compliments.

11th May, 2006

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Sorry, but this is very bad. It's the citrus of Happy for men with "patchouli noir" or in other words: a synthetic earthy note that give me a headache.

27th February, 2006

ilnaso's avatar

How unfortunate that Polo created a fragrance with tonka bean that doesn't smell good (at all)! I truly am in love with tonka bean and the fact that it doesn't save this disaster makes me question if tonka is in it at all...sorry ralph try again

11th October, 2005