Neutral Reviews of Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Black by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Zenwannabee's avatar
    Zenwannabee

I don't want to knock this too much, as I wore it a lot when it first came out. I like the scent and the projection, but found myself continually waiting for the dry-down that never seemed to happen--like being served a meal with a mango appetizer, mango entree, and for dessert...more
    mango. Just felt it needed a bit more oomph. But all-in-all a safe fragrance for everyday wear.

31st March, 2014

Raynor21's avatar
    Raynor21

Polo Black is an uninspiring yet dependable friend. It's woody aroma lends itself perfectly for use in the winter (in the summer I find it way too warm) but the hints of fruitiness keep it from being suffocating.

During the fall/winter, I'll usually choose Polo Black when I'm at a loss for what to wear or need something "safe", but I never start my day reaching for it.

Like I said, the best word to describe it is dependable. I'll always have it in my collection, but I'll never brag about it.

29 November, 2013

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

Another horse

The mango top note is quite pleasant, but benzoin with a very synthetic side note seem to overwhelm it at stages. The drydown has generic wood and a rather bland patchouli included, resulting in an overall not totally characterless product, but not a very exciting one either. Projection and silage all all right, and it lasts two hours on my skin. Soon the nth flanker will be released....

28 October, 2013

SnapDemon's avatar
    SnapDemon

Fresh

Smells good, but too synthetic.

12 September, 2013

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

Opens with an almost overwhelming benzoin/medicinal smell. This lingers for 20 minutes before I moderate fruity note can be noted. Long after application (an hour or more), there is a vanilla-tobacco-patchouli quality that is pleasant if somewhat predictable. Lasts about 4-6 hours on skin/clothes and occassionally re-introduces that benzoin note...I'm ambivalent...othe "black" fragrances like Kenneth Cole and 1881 are far preferable!

14 March, 2013

Houndnotes's avatar
    Houndnotes

I don’t agree at all with all the negative reviews this fragrance has received.
    Ok probably it’s not a top one , it’s quite generic, a little bit synthetic and very sweet;
    but it’s also very spicy, modern and fresh with a decent sandalwood and patchouli dry down and i can assure you’ll get lots of compliments, if you decide to wear Polo Black, as women just love it.

24 November, 2012

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Never truly tested it, only smelled the cap. Cold in character, bitter-sweet and quite synthetic, however also appealing. Under different circumstances I cannot ascertain wether my review would be positive or negative, so I'm rating it neutral.

18 October, 2012

Johannes's avatar
    Johannes
    Norway Norway

Watery melons with a touch of leather. Plus the boozy "frat guy accord" that seems to be present in all of Ralph Lauren's stuff. Not unpleasant per se, but that accord just about screams "one of those American colognes!" I need something with a little more personality.

14 October, 2012

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Polo Black isn't all that bad. It's certainly better than Double Black, which smells like an air freshener for cars.

What I smell is mainly patchouli and an aquatic note. I love patchouli, hate Calone, so I guess they cancel each other out to end up with a neutral rating. The accord smells heavily synthetic, sort of like hair conditioner for hippies, and has a kind of watery herbal smell.

Polo Black smells good for about a half hour, during which time I find the patchouli note blends well with a dark fruity note. However, the Calone ultimately becomes too prominent and sort of ruins the accord, and Polo Black becomes dull and tiresome to wear. This could have been so much better if higher quality ingredients were used, and simply more fragrance notes were added to this very bare accord.

MY RATING: 6/10

21st April, 2011

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Decent woody aromatic fragrance with a good longevity and a sufficient level of distinction and freshness necessary for its aims. Polo Black is balanced in its admeasurement between warm and fresh notes and is a bit edible with its fruity ingredient of mango which is (shared) in common with the horrible following brother Double black. The latter and Polo Blue are a total olfactory flop in my opinion despite the marketing success of the Blue one. Polo Black is a better concoction instead, even if not unique, groundbreaking or easily recognizable. It is not anyway a cloying or overly synthetic one. There is not a stressed transition between the levels and the beginning is simply citrusy, green and aromatic with sage, silver armoise and the bit creamy/fleshy addition of mango, before the sliding of the scent towards a more ordinary woody base with dark patchouli and smoky mild tonka. Synthetic hedione infuses a touch of mild smoothness to the final outcome in order to level the corners. Polo Black man is a dynamic and self confident person with the full awareness of his qualities.

24 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2014)

DutchSchwag's avatar
    DutchSchwag
    Netherlands Netherlands

A very fresh, tropical, enjoyable, unique and pleasant opening that makes good use of citric fruit over spice and greens to capture a wide range of moods, making it rather universal and best suited for a mass audience. A Ralph Lauren mantra since the manufacturing of Polo Blue that has suited them financially quite well, to say the least. Imbues a bit of Caribbean flair with a rather synthetic but fairly well blended mango and tangerine accords that press nicely against the sage and greener qualities. These elements are then layered over a prominently spicy patchouli presence that within 10-15 minutes starts to get creamier as the tonka bean becomes more prominent.
    The first 20-30 minutes are when Polo Black really shines, with the citrus taking full control and not allowing the patchouli and rather stale sandalwood note to reach center stage. A great seller in this respect, as the top and middle are very nicely done and find just the right balance between citric, herbal, and spicy, the perfect amount of time to sample, purchase and exit before realizing that Polo Black may not be all its cracked up to be.
    The problem unfortunately lies with the rather uninspired and bland basenote formulation, which lacks a dark and brooding presence to give it depth and muscle. The patchouli is far too prominent and cloying during the drydown and the tonka bean just doesn´t seem to hold as well as it should, struggling to emancipate itself from the restraint of the overemphasized patchouli and highly synthetic sandalwood. One can only imagine what a little tobacco or leather accord or a more prominent and improved organic tonka bean accord could have done for Polo Black to make it truly exceptional.
    This is nice, department store fodder but doesn´t have the same elegance and charm of Armani Code, which does a far finer job of finding a balance between cream, spice and citrus. Leans more in the direction of a skin scent and does seem to imbue the wearer with a sweet and creamy synthetic charm that does give this a certain versatility perfect for fall, spring or winter; day or night; casual or formal.
    Projection may be a bit below average on most skin but longevity seems to tremendously vary based on individual chemistry and environmental circumstances. I have gotten as little as 3-5 hours and as much as 10-12 hours, with colder weather climates generally inducing a longer stay of the patchouli and sandalwood residue.
    Certainly nothing to turn away from initially, Polo Black is very enchanting in its initial applications but after a few wearings quickly becomes tiresome to even the most loyal Ralph Lauren patrons. Blame it on the patchouli and sandalwood?

19 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2012)

Rotterdam's avatar
    Rotterdam

I was given this scent about a year ago, there really isn't much to say about it.

Want to smell professional? Check.

Want to smell just "good"? Check.

Want an innofensive, yet somewhat sexy fragrance? Check.

Want great longevity? Not happening with this one.

Want to project across the room? Too bad, this cologne won't do it.

Want to smell different? Sorry.

I guess this is just 100% in what YOU want. If your going for a safe, good fragrance. Hit this one up. Not too sure on what to say for the smell. I guess I'd describe it as a very masculine scent, peppery and woodsy.

11th December, 2010

Geldachron's avatar
    Geldachron
    Netherlands Netherlands

It's to bad about the longevity becouse I love this scent (only got around 5 hours top out of it). I really do. A lovely opening that stays pretty much all the way. This was my signature scent for a few years and I've had many compliments on it. After I found better fragrances I just did'nt buy any more of it.

Loved it but to bad about the longevity.

17 October, 2010

D.Sprad's avatar
    D.Sprad

Hm. I got this one as a gift, and I'm pretty happy with it. I might have bought it myself. It's an extravagant opening, as is typical for CK scents. It then goes to the middle notes, and then the ba-WAIT. No, I NEVER got ANY base notes for this. I wore this and got a longevity of about 7 hours - average, before it began to fade away. Never in there did I get ANY of the listed base notes, which I was a bit sad about. I liked the listed woodsy base, but as it dried down I got the herbal, citrusy middle as listed... and it just kept at it for maybe 5 1/2 - 6 hours. It's an average scent, nothing eye-opening... and a small tear of disappointment for the lack of the base.

20th June, 2010

Jackisblack's avatar
    Jackisblack

sooooo average...can't handle it...soooo average...!

12 September, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Ever since I tried the original Polo, I've been a fan of Ralph Lauren. I even finished two bottles of Polo Sport! So it was with high hopes that I sampled Polo Black, yet another best seller from this great house. Like many other 'unenlightened' customer I was hooked by the 'amazing' top notes and promptly made my full bottle purchase within 5 minutes of smelling it. How bad can it be? It's a Polo from Ralph Lauren! As I discovered later the development to the drydown leaves much to be desired; I can't even remember the last time I felt like wearing Polo Black. Now whenever I open the drawer to pick a scent, the still-heavy 4.2oz bottle serves me yet another reminder of those 'dark' days before joining Basenotes.

20th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

Echo777's avatar
    Echo777

Smells like a watery, synthetic, mixed-berry Pixy Stix. It has
    some of that watermelon fron KC Reaction and some Paco Rabanne 1 Million feel to it as well. The drydown has some woodsy (ie: dark, teak) elements to it, but very little though. Like a Boss (or Bod) spray or Kool Aid, dries down to a more plasticy and rubbery smell (ie: rubbery woody). Has that Ralph Lauren signature note to it. Meh. Not bad, but so what?

22 June, 2009

ChrisJPN's avatar
    ChrisJPN
    Japan Japan

I'm a little confused by all the reviews saying this has no sillage or staying power. The first time I wore it to work, two girls walking in at the opposite side of a fairly large room commented that "someone remembered their perfume today" - This was with only 2 sprays. About 6 hours later I was wishing it would disappear. I think it's actually overpowering and a little headache inducing. Not a bad smell but something about it feels quite old and it certainly lacks any sort of sophistication you might be hoping for based on the name and packaging. I get a peppery spice almost immediately which dies down after a while but as others have said, it seems fairly generic and certainly there is nothing "special" about it. I'll give it a thumbs in the middle just because it is quite nice, just not what I look for in a fragrance.

11th June, 2009

Jack's avatar
    Jack

This could be the pefect day scent for a person that doesn't like to much aqua or citrus. Also ok for evening as well. A good all around scent. But, for me I get big patchouli at the end. I still rotate this in, but won't buy again.

05 June, 2009

MFJ's avatar
    MFJ

The bottle gives me an image of something smokey, deep and maybe a little boozy. The actual juice is disappointingly nothing like what I had assumed. The opening is rather exotic, with the mango and what not, but once those notes blow away, we are left with a thin ho-hum blend.

23 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 October, 2009)

marioslg's avatar
    marioslg
    Cyprus Cyprus

Athough fun of Ralph Laren perfumes, I find this perfume very avarage. It has something good but if you leave it on you for some hours, the scent is somehow boring and you will get tired. The mango is too much for me and I realize that I don't like mangos in the perfumes although I like to eat them. The journie of this perfume in other words, leads nowhere good of a price. I judge a perfume not from their top notes but from the base notes as these lasts longer.

22 March, 2009

Ken_Russell's avatar
    Ken_Russell
    Romania Romania

I was nearly fooled by a quite relaxing, easygoing and unspectacular introduction- with many "sweet", aquatic- ozonic undertones. But once this first impression has passed, a blast of spice and truly "dark", edgy notes take over. Seems like two very different perfumes in one, as the styles, the intensity and the suitability for formal or informal use are extremely different between the first impression the final drydown.

12 January, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

My opening guess with the top note was that it might be oranges, but iced mango was a new one for me. It is the dominant note in the opening aria, and once it dies, so does the whole fragrance, The middle notes are muted and unobtrusive, but this seems like a scent with a lack of identity. This is nothing new and does not represent value for money.

30th December, 2008

tonysoprano100's avatar
    tonysoprano100
    Chile Chile

I respect very much Ralph Laure. He is a great designer, awesome clothes, classy style.

First of all? Why Black? I dont understand!
    This fragance isnt black....is maybe orange, mandarine, mango, or whatever, but black? mmmmmm, I dont think so.
    Is hard for me to speak about the concept of this fragance, because is very weird......

Check other reviews,

PS:I will give a neutral because I love Ralph Lauren products. Everybody did mistakes.

25 October, 2008

surreality's avatar
    surreality

Polo Black is an inoffensive and well composed "fresh" scent that is is a little on the generic side but more likable than many of its competitors. The refreshing fruity top notes soon fade away, leaving a lightly herbaceous and "watery" heart underpinned by a base of patchouli and sandalwood that is rounded out and softened a little by the tonka bean.

Polo Black has nowhere near the power, sillage or longevity of other fragrances in the Polo line, it lasts maybe 4 hours before it needs refreshing. This is a nice enough fragrance but there is nothing that makes it (or the wearer )stand out from the crowd. If you are looking for something unique or sexy then this is not what you are looking for ; if you are looking for something fresh, understated and suitable for the office or class room then this may be worth a try.

20th September, 2008

bryan the rocker's avatar
    bryan the rocker

Ralph Lauren changed this fragrance

year 2005, smells like synthetic sweet mangoes, bright and strong, then a green dried down, not black, but I like it,

rating, Thumbs up

year 2008, smells less sweet, less mangoes, less bright, but still strong but more alcoholish, its darker than the previous,

RL made it darker, and all notes overpower each other,

rating, Neutral at best,

I like the 2005 version,

10th September, 2008

TBSDSpaniard's avatar
    TBSDSpaniard

Definetly, not black, agreed that conjures "orange-aluminum" in my mind - on me citrus is huge....middle notes are almost peppery....I liked it alot more when I first got it, now it's only ranging cold winter wear.

18 August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Wear this on cold days. It's transparent lemon and green note come out as well as its longevity is increased. New and fresh smelling, this is a big diversion from the regular Polos. While it smells really good, it does come off as a floor cleaner or some other weird cleaning solution or synthetic polymer. Definitely a try before you buy scent.

07 June, 2008

nthny's avatar
    nthny

For the modern man who knows what he desires... blah blah blah Yes, it's one of those... in that it's not different, it's not limited edition, it's not one of a kind, it's not niche, it doesn't tell a story, it doesn't whisper dirty secrets in your ear, but it does smell good. Past the top notes, we have something so familiar that you could switch bottles with half the offerings at designer fragrance counters and not know the difference. But in the top there is mango, a little sour and leaning a little towards mango/cilantro puree: I do smell fresh cilantro in there whether it's there or not. After a while the top notes mingle with the aquatics of the middle creating a relaxing, breezy freshness. Underneath all of this, from beginning to end I sense the haziness of soft woods, or something like wood dust, which adds a subtle sensuality. I just can't find the patchouli. I know it's there because a) they named it "patchouli noire" and b) there IS something earthy and sensual going on in the base but it doesn't present itself rawly like patchouli can do. A couple hours down the road, this dries down to a nice woody/aquatic that is light years from anything dark, mysterious, or, well, black.

12 November, 2007

Chemicus's avatar
    Chemicus
    Sweden Sweden

This fragrance has one big problem: poor longevity. The smell itself is great, though. The initial burst of fruity freshness fades away very quickly and leaves room for a dark green smell. It is green in an unusually clean way; I cannot detect any pine, leaves, or similar notes that I usually associate with "green". A mellow patchouli note appears after a while, making the smell slightly deeper and more aromatic. Should be a very versatile fragrance if it lasted longer.

19 May, 2007