Positive Reviews of Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Black by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Possum-Pie's avatar

The mango and Mellon notes make it stand above most generic department store fragrances. The spices add a nice touch. I think ti's is every bit as good as some of the Creeds I have smelled.

02 March, 2013

OCNBreeze7's avatar

Ralph Lauren has created another fragrance that will maintain popularity for years...

In my opinion, Polo Black provides a fragrance that is clean and fresh with mild fruity undertones. It is comparable to Diesel (Only the Brave), Versace Pour Homme, and can best be described as a mix between Light Blue (Dolce) and CK Free.

My reviews generally consider the following areas: price/value, appeal/smell, "wow factor" (compliments), longevity, uniqueness, best time of year worn or occasion, and easy on the nose (and bottle on the eyes).

Polo Black scores high in the "wow factor", as I have received numerous compliments from the opposite sex. It also scores well with longevity. I am especially fond of applying a moderate amount of any fragrance in the morning prior to work and it lasting the day without reapplying. Polo Black receives high marks in this area.

Polo Black smells great and while comparable to other fragrances, it does offer it's own unique essence. It is definitely a fragrance that can be worn any time of year and for any occasion without being overbearing.

My only criticism is the value of the larger bottles. Obviously, the large bottles are expensive and a strain on the wallet, Ralph Lauren has introduced smaller, more economical sizes, for those of us perceiving we are getting a deal (i.e. something under $30-$35 per bottle). Additionally, the smaller sizes are the perfect size for "sampling" and for the seasoned traveler.

All things considered, I would rate Polo Black as 4.75 stars (on a 5-star scale) and recommend adding it to your collection.

24 January, 2013

Mattybono's avatar

Polo Black is a very handsome, masculine fragrance that is perfect for the office or nights out. The mango opening is fresh and sweet and stays on throughout as the deeper spicy notes come in, meshed with a dash "Polo" signature muskiness. This is a solid choice and a good-buy because it is very dependable and non-offensive. I get great longevity 7-9 hours on average with 4 sprays. (8.5 out of 10)

12 January, 2013

Teach13's avatar

The first cologne I ever bought, before I really knew what I was doing (not that I'm much better now)...so maybe I'm a bit biased. I really like the way it sits on me--it smells the way I think a man in his lower 20s-upper 30s (when I bought it) should. Classy. It makes people say, "You smell nice," without being overpowering. This is my fall/winter date night scent.

13 August, 2012

Botanika's avatar

Polo Black....OUI!!

Have you ever been to Canada? If not, that's too bad. If so, then hopefully you had the opportunity to meet our handsome French-Canadian men. Strong, sexy, intelligent and really really confident. That is what this fragrance embodies for me. The opening note is so juicy and bold, it screams "pay attention to me!!" So you do...and then you are trapped in his nets. The fragrance morphs into masculine woodsy notes and the patchouli leaves me begging!! Mon Dieu! This stuff is hot!!!

Really....truly...the scent is pure confidence (bordering on cocky...)!
    Oh la la...les beaux hommes canadiens-français!!!

03 May, 2012

The_Cologneist's avatar

Fantastic opening of fresh mango's with some creme behind it. But, as it dries down, so do the mango's, as they turn more synthetic smelling. They blend into the sandalwood note, which is done poorly in this fragrance IMO. Longevity is usually around the 4 hour mark for me, and projection is below average.

The flanker to this, Double Black, is quite excellent, although it lacks in the longevity and projection departments as well. I certainly see a correlation between the two. But, as far as this one goes, it gets a thumbs up by me. I find that it's okay to have a few designer scents with poor longevity and projection, hell, sometimes, I don't want my fragrance to last all day. Black is a great quick little "pick me up" fragrance. And what it lacks, it makes up for with its uniqueness, and versatility. If you're fortunate enough to have this one on while it's still projecting, you will definitely get compliments. My ex co-worker loved this so much on me, that she bought a bottle for herself. I can see it being unisex as well.

09 September, 2011

kierroo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Had tried this many times when i was in town and friend off mind bought a bottle for himself from duty free 125ml for under £40

Polo black is now what its seems, u would believe due to the colour choice of black that this aftershave would be woody heavy and smell slightly like a biker.

But ever time i spray i can smell strawberry not to same extent as paco black xs but it is there and you can smell the lemon and other fruits overall polo black is a woody fragrance but thankfully the fruit notes gives this a little bit of a identity and different than pretty much any other woody fragrance

i would say this can be worn by any age and i would wear this at night or clubbing i get 6 hours when i spray this on. So buy this if you like it :D

25 July, 2011

sarahgelf's avatar

My lover wears this and I think it is insanely sexy

11th June, 2011

Ac3ofspades's avatar

Overall a really good scent. The opening is very fresh and then it becomes sweet. Longevity is solid, i get about 7-10 hrs. Very safe fragrance that can be worn at any time for almost every occasion. Great piece to any collection.

24 March, 2011

Guinea54's avatar

Not sure why so many thumbs down on this site. Polo black is a very fresh and pleasant scent to me. I really enjoy it. Its clean smelling, has a touch of the ice mango and is very versatile. I have received many compliments from this fragrance, and I am a fan. Totally underrated.
    My Rating
    Scent- B+
    Longevity- C+
    Projection- B
    Compliments- A
    Versatility- A
    Overall- B+

Pros- A very clean fresh scent that is very versatile and gets many compliments.
    Cons- The RL name will never get too much hype on these communities. A little pricey. Nothing that unique or super original. Spotty longevity with some people.

08 January, 2011

Rescentment's avatar

After seven hours plus of wearing this my significant other picked out a cinnamon smell on me. Probably the tonka bean in the base notes. Seven hours plus in and she was really digging the smell.

I have never considered Polo Black to be one of the best in my collection. But she often makes a comment when I wear it. She loves it. She has suggested it as one of two fragrances to wear on our wedding day.

I know that I will be picking up another bottle when this one is done.

03 November, 2010

Ahree's avatar

What is with all the hate? It's not bad at all, and useful when you want to change your roster up a bit. Tremendous longevity and strong sillage that sort of sneaks up on you -- yet not intrusive into other peoples' personal space.

14 October, 2010

Safetyjon's avatar

So much has already been said about Polo Black. It is not my favorite scent, but I don't understand all the negative comments. I certainly didn't have any type of negative reaction. I find the opening fresh, the middle green and enjoy the patchouli & woody (sometimes leathery) dry-down. Polo Black is not sweet, which is good because I dislike most sweet scents. Longevity is very good at +12 hours.

PB has a place in my rotation. I find it to be a very "professional" scent. The scent is not overbearing or loud. The sillage is not huge. It does not scream "cologne guy". The person wearing it can be taken seriously. I feel very comfortable wearing PB when meeting with senior leadership or high-level executives. I want to smell good, but I want to be sure to choose a "safe" fragrance that should not offend anyone. Overall a "Thumbs-up".

13 October, 2010

J.D's avatar

I really like this one. It's really funny how you can have such different results on different people. The "Green effervescent accord" in this is really pleasant to me, and the Tonka Bean in the drydown makes a strong appearance on my skin. I have to urge you to give this one at least a sample. It's in the top ranks in my collection, and FYI, women love it. Lot's of compliments.

13 June, 2010

dredreson's avatar

The scent is absolutely fantastic, just wish it was stronger, last longer, and projected more. I get about 3-4 hours on my skin. Im going to try out Polo Double Black.

01st June, 2010

's avatar

Many years ago i had Polo, maybe i'm wrong, but base is near to Polo.
    yesterday i tested Polo Black, and it remided me Polo.
    I got Polo twice, and i think it was boring. Polo black is different and suitable for middle age and more younger man

19 March, 2010

dm8m's avatar

Philippine Philippine

one of my most favorite scents. it's very versatile.

i love it so much that i've already consumed 3 full bottles & always carry along a 30ml bottle in my bag.

10th January, 2010

Cougartown's avatar

First caught a wiff of this after interviewing someone. He told me what it was, and that a lot of girls compliment for it. I wound up getting it later, and got the same reactions. If you want to smell fresh without smelling aquatic, this one is good for that. Somehow, it doubles as a casual and formal smell for me. Not criticize, but it actually smells a lot like Old Spice's "after hours" deodorant. All in all, its not bad. Thumbs up, due to all of the compliments!!

05 June, 2009

PPerfume's avatar

I like Polo Black, its very proper for After 5pm Formal Wear giving off a sophisticated scent. Like Saxon Plum stated the ladies love it... I think it particulary adds to the mood of the evening. I bought mine online for a good price and love it!

BTW it was at http://www.pricelessperfume.com.au/polo-black-125ml-edt.perfume

I would not recommend wearing it outside formal occasions.

18 May, 2009

tradesman's avatar

China China

I'm surprised it gets such a hard time with so many bad or negative comments, admitedly it will never find it's why into the pantheon of olfactory scents but I feel it is a lot better than some of the mass produced offerrings Ralph Lauren has delivered over his many years. I find it fresh, light and just 'there',you're aware of its presence in the room without upstaging anybody else's perfume du jour.Personally speaking I am a fan of the classics but this one does not warrant all the bad comments.

18 March, 2009

Justin Case's avatar

Not surprising that this one got almost as much negative reviews as it did positive. I got it as a gift from a friend. It's a bit confusing because there's nothing really "black" about it.. no darkness here. A fruity mango opening with a chaulky sensation that reminds me of the candy called Piz. The dry out is a little greener, a little more masculine but still a bit too soft for me. I'm willing to exchange it. I'm only giving it a thumbs up because women seem to like it and I don't mind it that much.

25 February, 2009

Saxon Plum's avatar

Brazil Brazil

All women I have known love this smell. Why, I could not tell you. They dislike many of my other favorites. I like manly and this is but very light. I like to smell ,what I myself, am wearing. This one fades. It is nice but there are better ones. It used to be stronger,but stays close to the skin,,the females can still smell it. Most girls will like it. I am sure of that. I have had tests with me and another man wearing something else. I always won with this one. I won't buy it again though. I want a smell thats as strange as the women who are attracted to it. A safe bet but not my choice.

27 December, 2008

gmm150's avatar

I agree there is nothing Black about Polo Black. BUT I do like the scent. It may not be unique and have depth. It does smell fresh, a bit citrusy, and very likeable. It is far from offensive and I do not think many people would say that they hate it. They just might not like it.

04 December, 2008

Stu's avatar

I've enjoyed this from day one since I've worn this and will wear it again and again although I haven't smelled Roberto Cavelli Black which I've told smells better to many.

19 June, 2008

bbBD's avatar

One cannot possibly overstate the difference between how Polo Black smells on paper, in magazine inserts, in shower gel, aftershave, etc. and how it smells on skin once dried. A lot of negative reaction seems to be to the 'iced mango' accord, which I personally love, that is similar to other fruity openings in other modern fragrances. Once dry, Black develops into a masculine, spicy scent that is both inviting and rich. As a lover of the original Polo, I find Black to be one of my favorite alternatives and go-to colognes when nothing else strikes my fancy.

21st May, 2008

syidi_radzi's avatar

I do agree with DULLAH, rather to have it named Black, it is supposed to be called either Chrome or Aluminium, but i'm trying to be fair here, regardless of its name, Black, the fragrance is actually excellent.

The composition is quite rare, mango + sage + armoise + patchouli etc, which to me it appears just too overwhelming, as every note is composed to overpower each other, it is long lasting, it stays for up to 8 - 10 hours. Great!

08 May, 2008

sandbox4837's avatar

This scent works great on me. I don't think it's fair that some people are giving this scent a bad review simply because it isn't "black" or that they saw a lot of ads for this so they feel the need to counter the hype.

I love the smell. If you are thinking about this, try it (on your skin, paper is different) and give it a chance. I don't feel that it is limited to casual use, but that is certainly what I normally use it for.

16 April, 2008

Milo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

I think RL perhaps realised that this fragrance was neither 'smokey' 'spicy' or indeed 'black' which is why they brought out the vastly superior Double Black. But i think either way unless you live in a country with a cold autumn and winter you should stay clear of this one.

This fragrance has got quite a lot of bad reviews, but many of them from reviewers in hot countries. Where i live, in Edinburgh, Scotland, this fragrance suits the cold winter months perfectly, especially on formal occasions.

Its longevity is also vastly improved on a cold day.

11th December, 2007

poindexter's avatar

England England

Mixed reviews here and I really can't see why, unless its neutrality. The only problem that you might have with this fragrance is that it isn't right for you. I find it one of the nicest of the Polo range and very long lasting. it is particularly clean but perhaps not the sophisticated product one might expect to go with the name. Glad I have it in the cabinet as a staple, reliable, non offending pal for every now and again. admiring comments have been passed to me but unlike some of my more special secrets,( Boucheron, VC & A, Rochas etc) I am happy to place the name to this one

01st February, 2007

Mr.Opoponax's avatar

Spain Spain

I´ve just bought it after long time testing. It´s very well balanced in all his notes, and first impression is that you´re really prepared to display amounts of charm. To me, this scent has some exotic fruits very well combinated with some lighter noble esences without being invassive, it´s more like a good companion to freshness.. This is the reason because I find it very irresistible. It´s as if you were needed of being actual, class touched as a young man should be. Once you take a shower pour some Polo Black scent on you and breath fondly. No need to explain that this one is a "must have" if you want to stay in tune with modern combinations reminding exotic influences and inspire ellegance without loosing youth. One of a kind in terms of ingredients balance.

19 December, 2006