Reviews of Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Black by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Rescentment's avatar

After seven hours plus of wearing this my significant other picked out a cinnamon smell on me. Probably the tonka bean in the base notes. Seven hours plus in and she was really digging the smell.

I have never considered Polo Black to be one of the best in my collection. But she often makes a comment when I wear it. She loves it. She has suggested it as one of two fragrances to wear on our wedding day.

I know that I will be picking up another bottle when this one is done.

03 November, 2010

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Ralph Lauren keeps on disapointing me, Polo Black is soooooooo generic and honestly, I did not enjoyed it at all. Trying to coattail the success of the original Polo without success.
    And what are "Green Effervescent Accords" and "Lush Liquid Accords" anyway? I'll tell you what: synthetics, period. And Hedione? It is Benzyl Salicylate, another synthetic. Ralph, you put american perfumery in shame. No wander we continue buying French, English and Spanish perfumes, because the icon of American perfumery keeps on putting junk in the market.

24 October, 2010

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

It's to bad about the longevity becouse I love this scent (only got around 5 hours top out of it). I really do. A lovely opening that stays pretty much all the way. This was my signature scent for a few years and I've had many compliments on it. After I found better fragrances I just did'nt buy any more of it.

Loved it but to bad about the longevity.

17 October, 2010

Ahree's avatar

What is with all the hate? It's not bad at all, and useful when you want to change your roster up a bit. Tremendous longevity and strong sillage that sort of sneaks up on you -- yet not intrusive into other peoples' personal space.

14 October, 2010

Safetyjon's avatar

So much has already been said about Polo Black. It is not my favorite scent, but I don't understand all the negative comments. I certainly didn't have any type of negative reaction. I find the opening fresh, the middle green and enjoy the patchouli & woody (sometimes leathery) dry-down. Polo Black is not sweet, which is good because I dislike most sweet scents. Longevity is very good at +12 hours.

PB has a place in my rotation. I find it to be a very "professional" scent. The scent is not overbearing or loud. The sillage is not huge. It does not scream "cologne guy". The person wearing it can be taken seriously. I feel very comfortable wearing PB when meeting with senior leadership or high-level executives. I want to smell good, but I want to be sure to choose a "safe" fragrance that should not offend anyone. Overall a "Thumbs-up".

13 October, 2010

D.Sprad's avatar

Hm. I got this one as a gift, and I'm pretty happy with it. I might have bought it myself. It's an extravagant opening, as is typical for CK scents. It then goes to the middle notes, and then the ba-WAIT. No, I NEVER got ANY base notes for this. I wore this and got a longevity of about 7 hours - average, before it began to fade away. Never in there did I get ANY of the listed base notes, which I was a bit sad about. I liked the listed woodsy base, but as it dried down I got the herbal, citrusy middle as listed... and it just kept at it for maybe 5 1/2 - 6 hours. It's an average scent, nothing eye-opening... and a small tear of disappointment for the lack of the base.

20th June, 2010

J.D's avatar

I really like this one. It's really funny how you can have such different results on different people. The "Green effervescent accord" in this is really pleasant to me, and the Tonka Bean in the drydown makes a strong appearance on my skin. I have to urge you to give this one at least a sample. It's in the top ranks in my collection, and FYI, women love it. Lot's of compliments.

13 June, 2010

dredreson's avatar

The scent is absolutely fantastic, just wish it was stronger, last longer, and projected more. I get about 3-4 hours on my skin. Im going to try out Polo Double Black.

01st June, 2010

Mindphlux's avatar

This is a decent enough of a scent but it didn't do much for me on the account thats its rather generic. The smell is nothing new or different, really. If you enjoy darker citrus scents then this one is for you, but as for me, I pass.

04 May, 2010

's avatar

Many years ago i had Polo, maybe i'm wrong, but base is near to Polo.
    yesterday i tested Polo Black, and it remided me Polo.
    I got Polo twice, and i think it was boring. Polo black is different and suitable for middle age and more younger man

19 March, 2010

micci's avatar

Kenya Kenya

I'm a BIG fan of Ralph Lauren (Safari & Polo Blue) but wow can a perfume get worse reviews..? lol Anyway the outrage is truly deserved ,this perfume is an olfactory travesty...generic and unimaginative....the bottle is neat though!
    Try Polo double black or Black by Kenneth Cole for a refined touch of the 'black' concept.

29 January, 2010

dm8m's avatar

Philippine Philippine

one of my most favorite scents. it's very versatile.

i love it so much that i've already consumed 3 full bottles & always carry along a 30ml bottle in my bag.

10th January, 2010

chamelion's avatar

a disaster polo black is a bland forgettable scent and the worst of the RL scents IMO they totally nose dived on this one

29 September, 2009

Jackisblack's avatar

sooooo average...can't handle it...soooo average...!

12 September, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Ever since I tried the original Polo, I've been a fan of Ralph Lauren. I even finished two bottles of Polo Sport! So it was with high hopes that I sampled Polo Black, yet another best seller from this great house. Like many other 'unenlightened' customer I was hooked by the 'amazing' top notes and promptly made my full bottle purchase within 5 minutes of smelling it. How bad can it be? It's a Polo from Ralph Lauren! As I discovered later the development to the drydown leaves much to be desired; I can't even remember the last time I felt like wearing Polo Black. Now whenever I open the drawer to pick a scent, the still-heavy 4.2oz bottle serves me yet another reminder of those 'dark' days before joining Basenotes.

20th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

Tony T's avatar

not even as an air freshner. poor construction. poor judgement and a poor mainstream fresh scent. double black is much better.

06 July, 2009

scentsitivity's avatar

Absolutely hideous to me. To me it smells like fruity licorice supported by a watery accord. I find it to be nauseatingly unpleasant with no redeeming qualities for the several hours I endured it!

05 July, 2009

Echo777's avatar

Smells like a watery, synthetic, mixed-berry Pixy Stix. It has
    some of that watermelon fron KC Reaction and some Paco Rabanne 1 Million feel to it as well. The drydown has some woodsy (ie: dark, teak) elements to it, but very little though. Like a Boss (or Bod) spray or Kool Aid, dries down to a more plasticy and rubbery smell (ie: rubbery woody). Has that Ralph Lauren signature note to it. Meh. Not bad, but so what?

22 June, 2009

ChrisJPN's avatar

Japan Japan

I'm a little confused by all the reviews saying this has no sillage or staying power. The first time I wore it to work, two girls walking in at the opposite side of a fairly large room commented that "someone remembered their perfume today" - This was with only 2 sprays. About 6 hours later I was wishing it would disappear. I think it's actually overpowering and a little headache inducing. Not a bad smell but something about it feels quite old and it certainly lacks any sort of sophistication you might be hoping for based on the name and packaging. I get a peppery spice almost immediately which dies down after a while but as others have said, it seems fairly generic and certainly there is nothing "special" about it. I'll give it a thumbs in the middle just because it is quite nice, just not what I look for in a fragrance.

11th June, 2009

Cougartown's avatar

First caught a wiff of this after interviewing someone. He told me what it was, and that a lot of girls compliment for it. I wound up getting it later, and got the same reactions. If you want to smell fresh without smelling aquatic, this one is good for that. Somehow, it doubles as a casual and formal smell for me. Not criticize, but it actually smells a lot like Old Spice's "after hours" deodorant. All in all, its not bad. Thumbs up, due to all of the compliments!!

05 June, 2009

Jack's avatar

This could be the pefect day scent for a person that doesn't like to much aqua or citrus. Also ok for evening as well. A good all around scent. But, for me I get big patchouli at the end. I still rotate this in, but won't buy again.

05 June, 2009

MFJ's avatar

The bottle gives me an image of something smokey, deep and maybe a little boozy. The actual juice is disappointingly nothing like what I had assumed. The opening is rather exotic, with the mango and what not, but once those notes blow away, we are left with a thin ho-hum blend.

23 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 October, 2009)

PPerfume's avatar

I like Polo Black, its very proper for After 5pm Formal Wear giving off a sophisticated scent. Like Saxon Plum stated the ladies love it... I think it particulary adds to the mood of the evening. I bought mine online for a good price and love it!

BTW it was at http://www.pricelessperfume.com.au/polo-black-125ml-edt.perfume

I would not recommend wearing it outside formal occasions.

18 May, 2009

cosmicbrian's avatar

If you like the combo of Bug Spray and Melons you'll love this smell. I'm appalled that today's male fragrances all have the same god awful aromas. Far from masculine, foul repellent initial smell and then drying down to a feminine soft fragrance that leaves within an hour unless you take a bath in the stuff. The responses I get with every current "trendy" male fragrance is always the same. Is that Abercrombie? Aqua? and so on. They all smell the same and appeal to a certain female type. Most guys I know reluctantly put the trendy stuff on because "she likes it" but asked if we males like it? Not so much. I don't know about others but I'm sick of the unisex smell. I'd like to smell like a guy and not be asked if I'm wearing some teenage boys expensive cologne.

30th April, 2009

marioslg's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Athough fun of Ralph Laren perfumes, I find this perfume very avarage. It has something good but if you leave it on you for some hours, the scent is somehow boring and you will get tired. The mango is too much for me and I realize that I don't like mangos in the perfumes although I like to eat them. The journie of this perfume in other words, leads nowhere good of a price. I judge a perfume not from their top notes but from the base notes as these lasts longer.

22 March, 2009

tradesman's avatar

China China

I'm surprised it gets such a hard time with so many bad or negative comments, admitedly it will never find it's why into the pantheon of olfactory scents but I feel it is a lot better than some of the mass produced offerrings Ralph Lauren has delivered over his many years. I find it fresh, light and just 'there',you're aware of its presence in the room without upstaging anybody else's perfume du jour.Personally speaking I am a fan of the classics but this one does not warrant all the bad comments.

18 March, 2009

mjh's avatar

I had a bottle of this once. Could not stand wearing it. It smelled like "dirty" hot leather. Kind of erotic but not for me.

07 March, 2009

Justin Case's avatar

Not surprising that this one got almost as much negative reviews as it did positive. I got it as a gift from a friend. It's a bit confusing because there's nothing really "black" about it.. no darkness here. A fruity mango opening with a chaulky sensation that reminds me of the candy called Piz. The dry out is a little greener, a little more masculine but still a bit too soft for me. I'm willing to exchange it. I'm only giving it a thumbs up because women seem to like it and I don't mind it that much.

25 February, 2009

Galleddrim's avatar

Old dried fruit. That's all I get from this. Maybe a bit of leather too, but that just makes it smell dirty. Polo Black is kind of a disappointment, to put it mildly. With the designation "black" I was hoping for a decent evening frag. But I find this totally unwearable.

21st January, 2009

's avatar

I bought this fragrance without wearing it on my own skin. Bad bad idea. It smelled great on someone else I knew, but on me I had a unbearable headache with in minutes.

The dry down is so sharp it cuts through your skull like a knife. I think theirs to much alcohol in this scent to notice the other ingredients. Unfortunately, its another fragrance smothered by alcohol.

I wanted to like this one, but it didn't work out for me.

20th January, 2009