Neutral Reviews of Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Black by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

NaturalBornThrilla's avatar

Well I love how it smells seems to be very sweet to my nose, simillar to Paradise from Sung, but its down fall is exactly the same as Paradise, it doesn't last. Now I bought this after a smell at my local sears and loved the smell and with the Polo name attached to it I immediatly thought of the original Polo and how it is made with strong long lasting oils and thought great I love how it smells and it will be long lasting, well I was wrong! It only last about an hour or so on me, and at $89.99 plus tax thats way to expensive for reaplying every hour or so. But I'm not giving it a thumbs down simply cause it smells great even if it doesn't last!!!!

18 April, 2007

G23riel's avatar

Romania Romania

Polo Black = Aromatic, subcategory Aquatic.

Better than the few other aquatics I have tried, as it has more dimension. Paradoxically it last much less than Acqua de Gio. Sillage is great but lasting power is low. If I _had_ to wear an aquatic, this would be it as it is a little more edgy and spicy than the average aquatic. And yes, it does have the stale melon smell which is an aquired sense. Just goes to show that you should wear what you like not what girls like, so Green for me.

17 February, 2007

Reed's avatar

Putting this on in the morning gets me fired up. This is a scent for a confident, young, motivated professional to wear at work.

It only gets the sideways thumb because on me it only lasts about an hour. Maybe it will be different for you (or maybe you only work one hour days?) It's not very versatile either, pretty much only good for the young professional to wear at work.

08 February, 2007

Mobster's avatar

I bought this originally as a summer fragrance - because I find it to be very light. Top notes are fresh and dry-down not very noticeable at all - no staying power really. Pleasant enough, but nothing spectacular.

01st November, 2006

It’s a shame that I feel it’s necessary to praise a house like Ralph Lauren for producing not a great, but a better-than-average fragrance—praise it simply because it isn’t a complete sell-out of marketing over quality and innovation. I do have good things to say about Polo Black. The first good thing I’ll say is that it’s not Polo Blue—that’s a big compliment. Polo Black is not an exciting fragrance, nor is it especially artistic or endearing. But it isn’t terrible—it is even several steps up from ‘mediocre.’ Polo Black has attractive elements to it: a well-constructed opening, which is somewhat unique and quite captivating. The middle and base accords have real presence, even if the notes are rather…random. Polo Black has better longevity than much of its competition. Its downfall is that it is priced too high for what it delivers, and the ‘black’ label is completely off target. Otherwise, there is less to criticize than there is to praise. I’ve seen a lot worse out there.

07 October, 2006

Stuffman's avatar

Eh... at least this tries to be somewhat original with it's "Iced Mango" notes and all. Unfortunately, it just never finds its groove and ends up being confused about what it wants to be. What it isn't, though, is "Black." I don't know why they chose the moniker, but it just doesn't fit. Maybe Double Black will be good? I'm not holding my breath...

13 August, 2006

salubrious_sultan's avatar

Aaaaahhhh... Polo Black, what can I say. On a coldish day with the wind this is incredible, like a chilled can of lilt, with the bubbles stroking the ice on the way up. In a warmish place, like the car, the office or my hidey hole this is more like rotting putrid (and very sweet) mango that gives you a splitting headache - as if you just had that for dessert. I was wearing polo blue today, and apart from the mango, they are virtually identical, but blue is much more subtle and just more pleasant in any setting. And a lot cheaper too!

29 April, 2006

Rashkae's avatar

This is not a "Black" scent at all... Rather, it reminds me of Acqua di Gio with a synthetic, woody note. girls like it though... Go figure.

21st March, 2006

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Just like Joel_Cairo I´m revising my initial dismissal of Polo Black. By no means is this a very original or daring frgrance. But it´s biggest problem is indeed the marketing concept. The ads and name creates an expectation of something smoulderingly spicy and oriental. Which it clearly isn´t. It is, however, a competent day-time/office fragrance with with just slightly more character than other recent launches. Mango, cardamom and subtle spices create an overall pleasant experience. I get way better longevity from it than other seem to, 5-6 hours minimum. The jet black bottle looks great but should have been coloured light green or brown instead, better representing it´s content.

15 March, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2007)

teflondog's avatar

Very nice scent. Starts out with a fresh mango note and then develops into...nothing. This literally vanishes after 30 minutes on me. It's a shame too because I like it more than Polo Blue and Romance/Romance Silver. If it weren't for longevity issues, I would have given it a thumbs up.

27 December, 2005

Joel_Cairo's avatar

You know what, I have to revise my review. Acquiring a decant made me want to recant (in rhyme). There's nothing wrong with Polo Black but the marketing, its not half bad at all. Sure its far too light-hearted and fresh on top to be a "black", but its a great sunny day office scent. A big step ahead of the Kenneth Coles, with which I would have to class it. The drydown is pretty damn good, and even a little sexy. Give it a shot.

21st November, 2005 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2006)

dallasconundrum's avatar

Not what I was expecting at all. Polo Black is not "bad" but it is not particularly good either. The lasting power is not very good either. I have only worn it a few times, so maybe I need to give it more of a chance.

21st October, 2005

Van_Oung_the_Ghost's avatar

smells kind of like some type of leather, not in my must have list but close. I wouldnt mind having it but if I had to buy it compared to the other new fragrances I dont really know, definatly one to consider.

04 October, 2005

CologneJunkie's avatar

I don't like the top notes, but I like the subtle freshness of the drydown. I just wish it lasted longer.

10th September, 2005