Reviews of Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Find out more about Polo Black by Ralph Lauren in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Bartlebooth's avatar

My opening guess with the top note was that it might be oranges, but iced mango was a new one for me. It is the dominant note in the opening aria, and once it dies, so does the whole fragrance, The middle notes are muted and unobtrusive, but this seems like a scent with a lack of identity. This is nothing new and does not represent value for money.

30th December, 2008

Saxon Plum's avatar

Brazil Brazil

All women I have known love this smell. Why, I could not tell you. They dislike many of my other favorites. I like manly and this is but very light. I like to smell ,what I myself, am wearing. This one fades. It is nice but there are better ones. It used to be stronger,but stays close to the skin,,the females can still smell it. Most girls will like it. I am sure of that. I have had tests with me and another man wearing something else. I always won with this one. I won't buy it again though. I want a smell thats as strange as the women who are attracted to it. A safe bet but not my choice.

27 December, 2008

gmm150's avatar

I agree there is nothing Black about Polo Black. BUT I do like the scent. It may not be unique and have depth. It does smell fresh, a bit citrusy, and very likeable. It is far from offensive and I do not think many people would say that they hate it. They just might not like it.

04 December, 2008

joekingbn's avatar

One of the most disgusting perfumes I have. It smells like softened vomit, acid bile. You know when you throw up? It smells like that, it also causes the same reaction when I smell it. To get the perfect effect just smell straight from the bottle. It makes my throat clog and my stomach churn. I get a bit of wet cheesy sock on the drydown. Have I got a bad bottle? Maybe not.

29 November, 2008

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

I respect very much Ralph Laure. He is a great designer, awesome clothes, classy style.

First of all? Why Black? I dont understand!
    This fragance isnt black....is maybe orange, mandarine, mango, or whatever, but black? mmmmmm, I dont think so.
    Is hard for me to speak about the concept of this fragance, because is very weird......

Check other reviews,

PS:I will give a neutral because I love Ralph Lauren products. Everybody did mistakes.

25 October, 2008

surreality's avatar

Polo Black is an inoffensive and well composed "fresh" scent that is is a little on the generic side but more likable than many of its competitors. The refreshing fruity top notes soon fade away, leaving a lightly herbaceous and "watery" heart underpinned by a base of patchouli and sandalwood that is rounded out and softened a little by the tonka bean.

Polo Black has nowhere near the power, sillage or longevity of other fragrances in the Polo line, it lasts maybe 4 hours before it needs refreshing. This is a nice enough fragrance but there is nothing that makes it (or the wearer )stand out from the crowd. If you are looking for something unique or sexy then this is not what you are looking for ; if you are looking for something fresh, understated and suitable for the office or class room then this may be worth a try.

20th September, 2008

bryan the rocker's avatar

Ralph Lauren changed this fragrance

year 2005, smells like synthetic sweet mangoes, bright and strong, then a green dried down, not black, but I like it,

rating, Thumbs up

year 2008, smells less sweet, less mangoes, less bright, but still strong but more alcoholish, its darker than the previous,

RL made it darker, and all notes overpower each other,

rating, Neutral at best,

I like the 2005 version,

10th September, 2008

TBSDSpaniard's avatar

Definetly, not black, agreed that conjures "orange-aluminum" in my mind - on me citrus is huge....middle notes are almost peppery....I liked it alot more when I first got it, now it's only ranging cold winter wear.

18 August, 2008

odysseusm's avatar

I’ve tried Polo Black four times, and I like it less each time. Enough! It has some elements (sage, armoise, aka. artemesia) that have the potential to be appealing. But all these “green effervescent accords” and “lush liquid accords” and hedione translate into an overly-synthetic and irritating scent. It is a shallow scent: airy-fresh with no redeeming depth or character, something like smelling cool air blasting out of a freezer full of frozen green things.

07 July, 2008

Stu's avatar

I've enjoyed this from day one since I've worn this and will wear it again and again although I haven't smelled Roberto Cavelli Black which I've told smells better to many.

19 June, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Wear this on cold days. It's transparent lemon and green note come out as well as its longevity is increased. New and fresh smelling, this is a big diversion from the regular Polos. While it smells really good, it does come off as a floor cleaner or some other weird cleaning solution or synthetic polymer. Definitely a try before you buy scent.

07 June, 2008

bbBD's avatar

One cannot possibly overstate the difference between how Polo Black smells on paper, in magazine inserts, in shower gel, aftershave, etc. and how it smells on skin once dried. A lot of negative reaction seems to be to the 'iced mango' accord, which I personally love, that is similar to other fruity openings in other modern fragrances. Once dry, Black develops into a masculine, spicy scent that is both inviting and rich. As a lover of the original Polo, I find Black to be one of my favorite alternatives and go-to colognes when nothing else strikes my fancy.

21st May, 2008

syidi_radzi's avatar

I do agree with DULLAH, rather to have it named Black, it is supposed to be called either Chrome or Aluminium, but i'm trying to be fair here, regardless of its name, Black, the fragrance is actually excellent.

The composition is quite rare, mango + sage + armoise + patchouli etc, which to me it appears just too overwhelming, as every note is composed to overpower each other, it is long lasting, it stays for up to 8 - 10 hours. Great!

08 May, 2008

40ish's avatar

Alternated this fragrance with Nautica in 2007 and guess how many unsolicited stranger comments I got...0. 0 comments = 0 score. My deodorant got more than that.

21st April, 2008

sandbox4837's avatar

This scent works great on me. I don't think it's fair that some people are giving this scent a bad review simply because it isn't "black" or that they saw a lot of ads for this so they feel the need to counter the hype.

I love the smell. If you are thinking about this, try it (on your skin, paper is different) and give it a chance. I don't feel that it is limited to casual use, but that is certainly what I normally use it for.

16 April, 2008

Kaern's avatar

Oh dear -- big recoil from the card. Generic awfulness.

Kaern

07 April, 2008

bokaba's avatar

Polo Black is a mixture of some type of room freshener and plastic. Far from the original Polo.

27 December, 2007

scentaddiction's avatar

Horrible. Ralph Lauren has produced nothing of note since the original Polo....I say that, and I am only 30 years old. Polo sport was for kids, Polo Blue had some summertime value, Romance sucks, Romance silver had a bit of blackberry potential, but it's longevity was worse that its Classic Match counterpart, and now this rubbing alcohol with a hint of acetone should land Lauren in the Stetson aisle. Wal-Mart will be pleased.

17 December, 2007

Milo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

I think RL perhaps realised that this fragrance was neither 'smokey' 'spicy' or indeed 'black' which is why they brought out the vastly superior Double Black. But i think either way unless you live in a country with a cold autumn and winter you should stay clear of this one.

This fragrance has got quite a lot of bad reviews, but many of them from reviewers in hot countries. Where i live, in Edinburgh, Scotland, this fragrance suits the cold winter months perfectly, especially on formal occasions.

Its longevity is also vastly improved on a cold day.

11th December, 2007

nthny's avatar

For the modern man who knows what he desires... blah blah blah Yes, it's one of those... in that it's not different, it's not limited edition, it's not one of a kind, it's not niche, it doesn't tell a story, it doesn't whisper dirty secrets in your ear, but it does smell good. Past the top notes, we have something so familiar that you could switch bottles with half the offerings at designer fragrance counters and not know the difference. But in the top there is mango, a little sour and leaning a little towards mango/cilantro puree: I do smell fresh cilantro in there whether it's there or not. After a while the top notes mingle with the aquatics of the middle creating a relaxing, breezy freshness. Underneath all of this, from beginning to end I sense the haziness of soft woods, or something like wood dust, which adds a subtle sensuality. I just can't find the patchouli. I know it's there because a) they named it "patchouli noire" and b) there IS something earthy and sensual going on in the base but it doesn't present itself rawly like patchouli can do. A couple hours down the road, this dries down to a nice woody/aquatic that is light years from anything dark, mysterious, or, well, black.

12 November, 2007

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Normally, Ralph Lauren colognes agree with me more than any other brand.

Not here.
    The Mango is good, but alot of the rest is too sharp and bright to be called black.
    To me, this smells more like POLO CHROME, or POLO ALUMINUM.

There are multiple notes that disagree with me alot.

01st November, 2007

Carl999's avatar

Once again...Disappointing. My opinion of this is negative.

I just find it boring and I feel that this has already been done.

And Double Black is NO improvement over it.

I do appreciate it on a friend of mine, but this is certainly nothing I would go out to buy for myself, or anyone else...

I dunno where I think I'm getting this "already-done" sense or feeling from, maybe to my nose it just smells a little to generic, or soemthing.

I do like its dark feel, but just nothing exciting, and the drydown/development leaves a lot to be imagined.

Sorry guys, thumbs down on this one.

Just nothing special, and everyone I know raves on about it, and its new younger, darker brother, Double Black. I have a ling-time affinity and passion with and for fragrances, but I can;t find anything "GREAT" about these Polos.

12 June, 2007

Chemicus's avatar

Sweden Sweden

This fragrance has one big problem: poor longevity. The smell itself is great, though. The initial burst of fruity freshness fades away very quickly and leaves room for a dark green smell. It is green in an unusually clean way; I cannot detect any pine, leaves, or similar notes that I usually associate with "green". A mellow patchouli note appears after a while, making the smell slightly deeper and more aromatic. Should be a very versatile fragrance if it lasted longer.

19 May, 2007

tonton's avatar

Lebanon Lebanon

THIS ISNT A BAD SCENT BUT IT LASTS FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF MAX SO ONE MUST REAPPLY EVERY HOUR AND A HALF.VERY EXPENSIVE FOR A VERY SHORT LASTING SCENT.NOT A GOOD BUY.

22 April, 2007

NaturalBornThrilla's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Well I love how it smells seems to be very sweet to my nose, simillar to Paradise from Sung, but its down fall is exactly the same as Paradise, it doesn't last. Now I bought this after a smell at my local sears and loved the smell and with the Polo name attached to it I immediatly thought of the original Polo and how it is made with strong long lasting oils and thought great I love how it smells and it will be long lasting, well I was wrong! It only last about an hour or so on me, and at $89.99 plus tax thats way to expensive for reaplying every hour or so. But I'm not giving it a thumbs down simply cause it smells great even if it doesn't last!!!!

18 April, 2007

G23riel's avatar

Romania Romania

Polo Black = Aromatic, subcategory Aquatic.

Better than the few other aquatics I have tried, as it has more dimension. Paradoxically it last much less than Acqua de Gio. Sillage is great but lasting power is low. If I _had_ to wear an aquatic, this would be it as it is a little more edgy and spicy than the average aquatic. And yes, it does have the stale melon smell which is an aquired sense. Just goes to show that you should wear what you like not what girls like, so Green for me.

17 February, 2007

Reed's avatar

Putting this on in the morning gets me fired up. This is a scent for a confident, young, motivated professional to wear at work.

It only gets the sideways thumb because on me it only lasts about an hour. Maybe it will be different for you (or maybe you only work one hour days?) It's not very versatile either, pretty much only good for the young professional to wear at work.

08 February, 2007

poindexter's avatar

England England

Mixed reviews here and I really can't see why, unless its neutrality. The only problem that you might have with this fragrance is that it isn't right for you. I find it one of the nicest of the Polo range and very long lasting. it is particularly clean but perhaps not the sophisticated product one might expect to go with the name. Glad I have it in the cabinet as a staple, reliable, non offending pal for every now and again. admiring comments have been passed to me but unlike some of my more special secrets,( Boucheron, VC & A, Rochas etc) I am happy to place the name to this one

01st February, 2007

Mr.Opoponax's avatar

Spain Spain

I´ve just bought it after long time testing. It´s very well balanced in all his notes, and first impression is that you´re really prepared to display amounts of charm. To me, this scent has some exotic fruits very well combinated with some lighter noble esences without being invassive, it´s more like a good companion to freshness.. This is the reason because I find it very irresistible. It´s as if you were needed of being actual, class touched as a young man should be. Once you take a shower pour some Polo Black scent on you and breath fondly. No need to explain that this one is a "must have" if you want to stay in tune with modern combinations reminding exotic influences and inspire ellegance without loosing youth. One of a kind in terms of ingredients balance.

19 December, 2006

Mobster's avatar

I bought this originally as a summer fragrance - because I find it to be very light. Top notes are fresh and dry-down not very noticeable at all - no staying power really. Pleasant enough, but nothing spectacular.

01st November, 2006